Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not Another Leinster vs Munster build-up/match thread Sat 24th April 7:35pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I reckon Sheehan will be putting pressure on Treacy for the back up role next year. He's a good athlete and with more experience, could be a top level hooker.
    Interesting to see Ringrose is the captain. Molony has been captain several times over the years. Perhaps, Ringrose is seen as Sextons successor for the captaincy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Dubinusa wrote: »
    I reckon Sheehan will be putting pressure on Treacy for the back up role next year. He's a good athlete and with more experience, could be a top level hooker.
    Interesting to see Ringrose is the captain. Molony has been captain several times over the years. Perhaps, Ringrose is seen as Sextons successor for the captaincy.

Molony hasn't worn the armband in recent years. Seems like they're going a different direction with him in that regard.

Ringrose wore the armband for the Pro14 final last season

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

1. Kilcoyne, 2. Scannell, 3. Archer,
    5. Beirne, 4. Kleyn,
    6. O'Mahony, 8. Stander, 7. O'Donoghue,
    9. Murray, 10. Carbery,
    11. Daly, 12. Farrell, 13. De Allende, 14. Earls,
    15. Haley.
    Subs: Barron, Loughman, Knox, Wycherley, Coombes, Casey, Healy, Nash.

First choice starting 15 barring Snyman and Conway with youth throughout the bench.
    Could have gone with a bench of O'Byrne, Cronin, Ryan, Holland, O'Donnell/Cloete, Murphy, Hanrahan, Conway for comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,354 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I really like that Leinster pack. There's a lot of physicality and athleticism in it and a lot of younger players there as well. It's one with an eye to future.

But there's a vast gap in experience between the sides which tips the scales in Munsters favour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Clegg wrote: »
    I really like that Leinster pack. There's a lot of physicality and athleticism in it and a lot of younger players there as well. It's one with an eye to future.

But there's a vast gap in experience between the sides which tips the scales in Munsters favour.

Bookies still have Leinster as 5 point favourites, which seems about right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Munster have an advantage at scrum-half, both starting and on the bench.
    Leinster will be looking for big games from Sheehan, Penny and Ringrose, and with the better overall impact of the bench in the forwards should be hard to beat in the last 20 minutes.
    Munster will probably need to build up a lead in the first half to win it, but not really sure where their scores are likely to come from. De Allende, or Beirne might spark something.

Will be interesting to see the two tens in action.

Delighted to see TOB and Frawley back btw. If they hadn't picked up injuries this season I'm pretty sure both would have been in contention for next week's Champions Cup semi final. Both have big futures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Would have liked to have seen more experimentation from Munster but I can understand why they've gone full strength. Should have at least given Knox a start.

It's an interesting Leinster side to say the least. Main thing is game time for Ringrose, Ryan and Doris, and no fresh injuries.

Could not give a toss about the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Paddy Power believe that Leinster are more likely to win by more than 13 than Munster are to win by 1-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

What's with Munster not using Coombes at 8?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

What's with Munster not using Coombes at 8?

That selection is a puzzling one. Coombes was one player who had an excellent ball carrying performance in the most recent derby. I'd expect him to have entered the game by the 60th minute.

Paddy Power believe that Leinster are more likely to win by more than 13 than Munster are to win by 1-12

Honestly I'd believe it. Leinster had a poor enough game in parts on the final and where still comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

aloooof wrote: »
    Bookies still have Leinster as 5 point favourites, which seems about right to me.

if Leinster had a 9 maybe, but hugh o'sullivan is leinsters weakest player on the field by a distance and in a key position.
    you'd expect 7/8 changes to the pack for next week from leinster.
    maybe 4 in the backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

guapos wrote: »

Its a tricky position for them though, damned if they do, damned if they dont.
    Beating Leinster seconds will only mean something to the most fervent fan, losing will be quite a low. Leinster players have been well shared around the other provinces these last few years, but hard to know how to raise the level while still maintaining a sense of them not being Leinster Exiles teams entirely.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Its a tricky position for them though, damned if they do, damned if they dont.
    Beating Leinster seconds will only mean something to the most fervent fan, losing will be quite a low. Leinster players have been well shared around the other provinces these last few years, but hard to know how to raise the level while still maintaining a sense of them not being Leinster Exiles teams entirely.

Hummm.... I guess good coaching and a sense of identity would help overcome that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

aloooof wrote: »

Have you seen Hugh O’Sullivan play before? That alone would make me feel Munster would win. Though he is not going to be playing behind a dominant pack. Which is more of a reason to expect a Munster win. Munster are pretty much full strength. While Leinster are at best mix and match. After team selection Munster have to be favorites this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stephen_n wrote: »
    Have you seen Hugh O’Sullivan play before? That alone would make me feel Munster would win. Though he is not going to be playing behind a dominant pack. Which is more of a reason to expect a Munster win. Munster are pretty much full strength. While Leinster are at best mix and match. After team selection Munster have to be favorites this time.

Massive game for him and he's probably playing for a contract with Nick McCarthy coming back and Foley going Year 3 in the academy plus the possibility of Ben Murphy coming into the full academy.

Hopefully he can put in a solid performance but he hasn't shown much this season

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Massive game for him and he's probably playing for a contract with Nick McCarthy coming back and Foley going Year 3 in the academy plus the possibility of Ben Murphy coming into the full academy.

Hopefully he can put in a solid performance but he hasn't shown much this season

No I had hopes for him last season, he seemed to be progressing but if anything he has gone backwards this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

Even the two best teams of the Pro12 will have difficulties to make it a better show than Ulster vs Connacht tonight. No joke, it was unreal though very serious game!

• Advertisement

That selection is a puzzling one. Coombes was one player who had an excellent ball carrying performance in the most recent derby. I'd expect him to have entered the game by the 60th minute.

I meant Coombes at 8. That's the future for Munster. And the combination of Stander at 6, Coombes at 8 is stronger I would have thought. Strong balanced back row with POM.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Quick question, are the new experimental laws in place for this competition?

Yes

Yeah there was a goal line drop out last night I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Yeah there was a goal line drop out last night I think

I didnt watch the end but wasn't the game decided on a captain call? I seen that online somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hold my beer

sebdavis wrote: »
    I didnt watch the end but wasn't the game decided on a captain call? I seen that online somewhere

It was crucial in the lead up to Connacht's last try. Really excellent game and I reckon the Captain's challenge will stick. It's a great idea.

• Advertisement

Doris out with hamstring issue is what I'm hearing

Palpable sense of giddiness here today as kickoff gets closer....

sydthebeat wrote: »

Poor bloke can't catch a break if that's true

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Have backed Munster to win. That's the tipping point. I can't see Leinster fabricating a win at all with the respective packs and focus on upcoming games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Frawley out too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Let's hope Munster can finally win tonight, bloody eir sport I'll have to listen on the radio and wait for TG4 later

Could easily be another Munster vs Leinster Final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

With Doris and Frawley ruled out, hopefully Munster can keep it under 40 instead of 50.

Veritable Leinster second string now.

Munster by 15. They've a massive experience edge now. If Doris were fit I'd have felt better as he's simply the best 8 in the country. Not now tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,108 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would a Vpn and a sky go sub work ?

Game is on the UK version of Premier sport 1 ?

It was crucial in the lead up to Connacht's last try. Really excellent game and I reckon the Captain's challenge will stick. It's a great idea.

Apparently it's being abused in the Australian league. Lot's of challenges in the last 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Those two lads had some f*cking terrible luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Apparently it's being abused in the Australian league. Lot's of challenges in the last 5 minutes.

In NZ, the play was stopped and the captain had no reason, just made something up to stop play and hope for a penalty, they were defending a small lead...of course the refs found one and the team won

Expect more of it

With the revised Leinster team this really is a completely open goal for the men in Red.

All Peter O'Mahony has to do is get Munster out of the dressing room...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

How to **** was that a penalty!!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

How to **** was that a penalty!!!

Led with a shoulder. Penalty right call imo.

Been a long time since we've seen any proper handbags like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Been a long time since we've seen any proper handbags like that.

Yeah love a bit of fire

James Ryan is the best defensive lineout operator in Europe. Incredible spring.

Shame that led to a Munster try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

De Allende likes this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Class by POM

Lovely try, De Allende showing up for a change against Leinster!

Harry Byrne off and Hawkshaw on.

Hawkshaw wasn't even due to start an hour ago.

That's game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭hold my beer

Surely a knock on in the turnover

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

That's class from De Allende

Advertisement