Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not Another Leinster vs Munster build-up/match thread Sat 24th April 7:35pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster and Ireland were ****e last year for the most part and barely played a set of fixtures. If there was a year where this award was redundant it would be 2020. I'm actually surprised they gave one out. Did he even score a try for anyone in 2020?

He's been average at best for a while now. Defensive reads are the attributes you give out a player that is not actually great but the hype says he is

I mean you embarrassed yourself a few posts ago.

Best call it quits here mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Congrats Munster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,621 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Leinster and Ireland were ****e last year for the most part and barely played a set of fixtures. If there was a year where this award was redundant it would be 2020. I'm actually surprised they gave one out. Did he even score a try for anyone in 2020?

He's been average at best for a while now. Defensive reads are the attributes you give out a player that is not actually great but the hype says he is

He led the champion cup in tries. I think he obliterated Northampton. Was brilliant all year. He still beats his marker and makes ground.
    His injury profile is not the best. Broken jaw to start the season and shoulder problems are a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

What was with the river dance on Ryan? And who was calling who a fat c**t?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

A win. In the RDS. Asterisks be damned. It's a monkey off the backs.

Overall, Munster can't be too pleased. The game should have been out of sight at HT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

guapos wrote: »
    What was with the river dance on Ryan? And who was calling who a fat c**t?

Ryan was calling Archer a fat c**t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Disappointed by the result but not surprised.

Attitude was a big factor here and Munster brought it in spades.

The curtains were drawn on this game when HB went off. Hawkshaw doesn't have a bright future at 10 and was totally at sea. A mild rush defence on the back of a slow 9 meant Leinster weren't going to get anything moving outside 10.

HOS isn't up to this level unfortunately. As far as i know he hasn't been renewed. I find it hard to have sympathy for a 9 who has such disparity between their good and bad hands. His decision making was too slow and he was lethargic at the back of rucks and mauls. Having said that his pack offered him little help.

Also. Stephen Archer is guilty of the scummiest thing I've seen on a pitch in recent years.

I'm sure he can smartly deny it but these guys know EXACTLY where they put their feet.

He ****ing went a danced on another man's crotch with long studs. I never rated him as a player and now i don't rate him as a person.

Should have been red. Absolute scum.

Inconsequential as they would have brought Knox on at 50 with the new red card rule and I'm not so sure Leinster would have won again 14 anyway.

But seriously. Stephen Archer you're a scummy scummy bloke for that

Perhaps a red but no head shots which are far worse. If Archer had got red, Ryan should have got yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Fair play to Munster, thought they played really well. Very positive, all out brute force and attacking play, Carbs & DDA were fantastic, Murray looked sharp, best game from POM in a long while, infact their backrow in general were brilliant. Sure, weak patchwork Leinster side who had nothing to play for bar a warm up run out, but none the less munster will showed they can play rugby and finally showed a bit of dog too.

Leinster were poor, and I don’t mean due to the personnel available, but tactically were poor. Gave up yards in defense, didn’t want to know about the ruck, and just didn’t look interested.

Some players will be happy with the game time and a hard slog to dust the cobwebs off and maybe cement a place on the plane (Ringrose, Ryan, Lowe, Penny, Sheehan) , and we look in rude health bar flyhalf going to France

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I’m still laughing at POM’s ‘WHAT’ when he thought he had won a penalty.

Munster deserved it in fairness. Leinster 2nd/3rd XV or not they should have done better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Perhaps a red but no head shots which are far worse. If Archer had got red, Ryan should have got yellow.

Why yellow for Ryan? Not rolling away??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Faugheen wrote: »
    Munster deserved it in fairness. Leinster 2nd/3rd XV or not they should have done better.

Had a whiff of the away game v connacht in 2018 about it. Wonder how much was put into this game this week and how much focus is on next week

CJ Stander took the match ball with him tonight

Leinster players going after a Heineken Cup this season.

Tells its own story.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Had a whiff of the away game v connacht in 2018 about it. Wonder how much was put into this game this week and how much focus is on next week

Tells its own story.

Leinster already won the pro14
    The minute the SA teams pulled out of the Rainbow Cup it really became irrelevant to Leinster, they are just playing for a trophy they won a few weeks ago :P

Not trying to degrade the Munster win, they won fair and square.

Tells its own story.

Enjoy your team Burkie, you don't have to obsess about talking other teams down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

.ak wrote: »
    Fair play to Munster, thought they played really well. Very positive, all out brute force and attacking play, Carbs & DDA were fantastic, Murray looked sharp, best game from POM in a long while, infact their backrow in general were brilliant. Sure, weak patchwork Leinster side who had nothing to play for bar a warm up run out, but none the less munster will showed they can play rugby and finally showed a bit of dog too.

Leinster were poor, and I don’t mean due to the personnel available, but tactically were poor. Gave up yards in defense, didn’t want to know about the ruck, and just didn’t look interested.

Some players will be happy with the game time and a hard slog to dust the cobwebs off and maybe cement a place on the plane (Ringrose, Ryan, Lowe, Penny, Sheehan) , and we look in rude health bar flyhalf going to France

Penny, Sheehan, Lowe cement place on what? None are going anywhere this summer.
    Leinster were patchwork but will drop some expectations on some of the players who arent all theyve been made out to be.

Leinster were patchwork but will drop some expectations on some of the players who arent all theyve been made out to be.

I imagine every attempt will be made for Ireland to tour somewhere in the summer. I'm not sure if a trip to Fiji was confirmed or just reported?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

KaneToad wrote: »

Yes. In the red zone.

:p
    Some people will lose the run of themselves and it is happening

KaneToad wrote: »

For hurting Archer’s foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I imagine every attempt will be made for Ireland to tour somewhere in the summer. I'm not sure if a trip to Fiji was confirmed or just reported?

Reported nothing confirmed. Welsh, Scots, English as well as non lions sides all have games confirmed

• Advertisement

Yes. In the red zone.

When have you ever seen a yellow for not rolling away in a situation like that, with zero warning, no constant penalties and the player could make excuse they are trapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

sebdavis wrote: »
    When have you ever seen a yellow for not rolling away in a situation like that, with zero warning, no constant penalties and the player could make excuse they are trapped?

Munster v Toulouse, Chris Farrell got done for it after literally two minutes.

Cynical stuff in fairness like - I always disliked the "three penalties, warning, final warning, this time is the final warning I swear, yellow" pattern of decision making myself. Don't mind refs going straight in where it's warranted.

The answer is literally at the end of the sentence! :pac:

The squad travel to France next week... you’d imagine Ringrose and Ryan will go, Lowe never really in doubt but an argument for Kearney was always there, and the likes of Penny coming back from injury have put their hand up in terms of showing fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Cynical stuff in fairness like - I always disliked the "three penalties, warning, final warning, this time is the final warning I swear, yellow" pattern of decision making myself. Don't mind refs going straight in where it's warranted.

No. Factually incorrect.

Farrell was carded for a trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

A win. In the RDS. Asterisks be damned. It's a monkey off the backs.

Overall, Munster can't be too pleased. The game should have been out of sight at HT.

If the monkey is Leinster B. The fundamental gulf between the two teams doesnt change, and if they were playing in a game that mattered, Munster players would be fully aware of it.
    It was always going to be like that, and Munster just couldnt win in this game with any real credibility. If anything, not being out of sight by HT gives it a figleaf of respectability for Munster rather than Leinster. The more Munster one by, the more meaningless the victory. Not that it is their fault. Not event tournament, non event match.

Didn’t see the Farrell yellow card was it the same as Ryan’s?
    Not sure how anyone would see Ryan’s as a yellow

Edit Based on comment above Farrell was a trip so not really relevant is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

No. Factually incorrect.

Farrell was carded for a trip.
    sebdavis wrote: »
    Didn’t see the Farrell yellow card was it the same as Ryan’s?
    Not sure how anyone would see Ryan’s as a yellow

Edit Based on comment above Farrell was a trip so not really relevant is it?

Apologies - mixed it up with the Murray incident later in the game (off feet which incidentally wasn't given a yellow).

The point stands though that there doesn't have to be seventeen warnings before a yellow is given.

.ak wrote: »
    The answer is literally at the end of the sentence! :pac:

The squad travel to France next week... you’d imagine Ringrose and Ryan will go, Lowe never really in doubt but an argument for Kearney was always there, and the likes of Penny coming back from injury have put their hand up in terms of showing fitness.

Penny is 21 and like a few didn’t have a great game, but he has a Pro14 medal and a young star of the year in his pocket so can’t complain

If anything that was a massive experience for some of the players, Penny included, I seen POM a number of times go after him after the whistle was blown so he gets that experience and knows how to deal with it. You don’t get that in a 50 point drubbing of Pro14 teams

The Rainbow cup is a bit of a mess since the SA team can’t play so it’s lost all focus for Leinster bar giving young players time and then seeing will they be able to progress to next stage or do Leinster need to look at others. I think a few after tonight will be concerned.

I wasn’t expecting them to win, especially after the late changes and the loss of H Byrne, but some players did not step up. That would of been a good game for Nick McCarthy for instance.

Apologies - mixed it up with the Murray incident later in the game (off feet which incidentally wasn't given a yellow).

The point stands though that there doesn't have to be seventeen warnings before a yellow is given.

I didn’t say they did need to give 17 warnings. Cynical play is cynical play and auto yellow is correct

Thing is Ryan getting stuck in a ruck with 4-5 lads jumping all over him isn’t cynical play and nobody would every think it could be a potentially yellow unless Leinster had 17 warnings. That’s the point I was making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭ersatz

I’m really glad Munster got one over on Leinster, I’m not sure it’s the swallow that makes a Summer but Munster definitely needed it. And yes, it was a diminished Leinster team but still, 3 points is a very poor return at home on a perfect night. HopefullyLeinster make up for it next week.

I wasn’t impressed by Carberry, plenty of clean ball and plenty of time but he didn’t make much of an impression for me. I’m not that convinced he is an outstanding ten, maybe at 15. And Murray had two lovely tries that rolled back the years but god he’s slow and his kicking was poor.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Ryan was calling Archer a fat c**t

Fla would be proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Happy with the win. I know it was an under strength Leinster but you can only play what's in front of you and Munster did the job.

Archer's yellow brought back fond memories. Not the fact he gave away a dumb penalty and got carded. That's what he does. But it was a throwback. A good old fashioned shoeing of an opponent on the wrong side of the ruck. Probably the first time a young pup like Ryan felt the sting of ruck marks in the shower after a match. Bring back rucking!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Happy with the win. I know it was an under strength Leinster but you can only play what's in front of you and Munster did the job.

Archer's yellow brought back fond memories. Not the fact he gave away a dumb penalty and got carded. That's what he does. But it was a throwback. A good old fashioned shoeing of an opponent on the wrong side of the ruck. Probably the first time a young pup like Ryan felt the sting of ruck marks in the shower after a match. Bring back rucking!!

There was nothing more satisfying than shoeing someone, waking up the day after a game vaguely wondering what the stinging was and looking at your back in the mirror to see long red welts was living

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Overall, pretty happy with that with all the caveats of Leinster being very under strength. (Quite unfamiliar to get a win in the RDS; the most recent away wins I can remember even 6 or 7 years ago came in there Aviva).

Thought POM, Beirne, Kleyn, De Allende were all excellent, along with Casey and Loughman off the bench. Daly as well, he’s not spectacular but rarely puts a foot wrong.

Some of the “overheard on ref mic / mouthed on camera” moments were pretty entertaining as well. :)

The biggest disappointment for me was Carbery’s performance. He had some good kicks thru, but he seemed to resort to them very early after only a handful of phases. It was scrappy tho, and he had to play off the cuff quite a number of times, but I’d hope to see more phases and structure in the next few weeks. He’s definitely targeted defensively as well. He has had only a handful of starts back, tho be fair to him.

From the Leinster side of things, I wouldn’t be as harsh on Ringrose as some have been, but it is probably his poorest run of form that I can remember from him since he came on the scene. You’d back a player of his calibre to get back to his best tho.

Was disappointed for Harry Byrne, and thought Josh Murphy was quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭VayNiice

Noticed a few people commenting on the 42 and here saying Ryan deserved to be raked out of it by Archer and even calling him a "coward".

It might have been part of the "good ol days" but those days are gone and Archer absolutely deserved that card. Players lie on the wrong side in every game and Archer is particularly prone to it. Also - getting a few studs in the back/legs/arse is one thing but the groin/stomach is scummy.

Ryan was spot on calling him a fat c#nt. Sure didnt we all love hearing Flannery calling Steve Thompson the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭mun1

Easy win against a poor side in a nothing match.

VayNiice wrote: »
    Noticed a few people commenting on the 42 and here saying Ryan deserved to be raked out of it by Archer and even calling him a "coward".

It might have been part of the "good ol days" but those days are gone and Archer absolutely deserved that card. Players lie on the wrong side in every game and Archer is particularly prone to it. Also - getting a few studs in the back/legs/arse is one thing but the groin/stomach is scummy.

Ryan was spot on calling him a fat c#nt. Sure didnt we all love hearing Flannery calling Steve Thompson the same?

I think you will always have "a few people" who haven't a clue. I am sure if a Leinster player did it to a Munster player the same people would be calling for a 6 month ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

VayNiice wrote: »

The only mention of coward I've seen, was on here and by a Leinster fan in reference to Archer...

The only mention of coward I've seen, was on here and by a Leinster fan in reference to Archer...

It was on the 42, a commenter on the article about Cullen accepting leinster were second best.

Commenter says Ryan needs to get used to that sort of treatment if he thinnks he's going to SA. Calls him a coward a second time in his next sentence also

A comment on the 42 is a source worth mentioning now

Sure a comment on any forum or article is worth an equal level of ****e. What's the point in any thread on boards either?

• Advertisement

Can't be worth much if even Teferi deleted his comment here :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The day you start giving any credence to a 42 comment is the day you need to take a long hard look in the mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Can't be worth much if even Teferi deleted his comment here :D

I deleted my comment on the advice of Yul Brynner.

I thought Tommy o brien actually had a very good cameo in the face of a red onslaught.... Had a few tet a tets with DDA as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I thought Tommy o brien actually had a very good cameo in the face of a red onslaught.... Had a few tet a tets with DDA as well

You’re making it sound like ‘nam there syd. With another one of those damned offensives.

It’s tête-à-tête.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    You’re making it sound like ‘nam there syd. With another one of those damned offensives.

It’s tête-à-tête.

You don't know man.... You weren't there man!!!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    You don't know man.... You weren't there man!!!

This post deserves more thanks! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Good win to stop the rot so to speak, Leinster had a good few pups in their team but still impressive to keep any home side to 3 points, let alone Leinster. I'm actually disappointed we didn't get the bonus, it was a pretty comprehensive win. You'd have thrown your hat at it if we'd lost that one.

CJ (as always), POM, Kleyn had huge games... but DDA was a cut above everyone on the pitch. I don't buy it's the first time he's 'showed up' against Leinster at all, I recall one half of a game this season where he was everywhere.

Archer is a lucky boy, legs at a different angle and that's red... it was incredibly cynical from Ryan mind. You'd miss old-fashioned rucking like that though, it would solve a lot of this tackler on the wrong side business. Stupid from Archer though considering where we were on the pitch and had the penalty. Still the usual penalties in the red zone to drive a Munster fan mad. There's green shoots in the back play but we've said that before. I still think Larkham will come good.

Snyman's unfortunate injury really robbed us of that little bit of extra oomph that could give us a dominant edge in the tight 5 against the top teams - you saw in this game what a difference it makes having the front foot. I think having him fit could be huge for us next season, he's an absolute monster.

I'd agree with others, Ringrose's form hasn't hit the previous heights. It'll be interesting to see how he finishes the season, the like of Tom Farrell, Hume, DDA and Henshaw have outperfomed him over the season in my opinion. At his best he's fantastic mind.

This might seem a bit lousy and it's not intended that way but Rory O'Loughlin was absolutely awful for the last two recent games against us... as in really-really-bad-barely-put-foot-right bad. Once in a team comprehensively winning and on a team comprehensively losing. Has he been that bad all season? It doesn't seem like that long ago he was knocking on the door for Ireland.

Shame the Rainbow Cup can't go ahead like it was planned, it would have been great to get the Saffer teams up here. Not going to complain about more rugby being on the telly in these times though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Also, it's rather heartening to see in this, at times fraught, provincial rivalry between red and blue that we are all united on the fact that Toland gives us ire in our collective hoops. Had a rare read of MFans and the verdict was unanimous there too :)

• Advertisement

leakyboots wrote: »
    I don't buy it's the first time he's 'showed up' against Leinster at all
    leakyboots wrote: »
    I recall one half of a game this season where he was everywhere.

tenor.gif

Advertisement