Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Commuting to UL for GEM

Options
  • 19-04-2021 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the daily course structure is like for GEM in UL? I know that the course is PBL, but does this mean you need to be on campus everyday? Or would it be possible to be in Limerick just 2/3 days a week?Thanks very much for any help in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭hcoben111

AoifeK1995 wrote: »
    Hello! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the daily course structure is like for GEM in UL? I know that the course is PBL, but does this mean you need to be on campus everyday? Or would it be possible to be in Limerick just 2/3 days a week?Thanks very much for any help in advance!

where are you commuting from?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 AoifeK1995

hcoben111 wrote: »
    where are you commuting from?

Carlow! It is a long journey, but if it is the case that I will only need to be on campus 2/3 days a week, then it would be manageable.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

Current UL student, really depends on whether they decide to do more face to face next year. There are a lot of people commuting from dublin, cork etc this year. Currently all lectures, anatomy tutorials and communication and pbl are online but usually these are face to face.

We have online clinical and a face to face anatomy session once a week (mon or thurs or both). These can be on different days. PBL in first year is tues and fri. If most things went back face to face in sep I'd say 4 days a week, weds is usually just lectures so that would also depend if they kept them online or not. I know people think pbl is not a lot of contact time but theres still anatomy, clinical skills and communication to think about as well as the lectures. There are also lectures on other days too between sessions. I can let you know if we hear anything about next years structure!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gem2021

Hi Aoife, I’m also hoping to get into UL this year and if so am strongly considering commuting from Offaly which is also a long commute. Would be very interested in hearing more about the possibility of distance learning for next year:)

ma003 wrote: »
    Current UL student, really depends on whether they decide to do more face to face next year. There are a lot of people commuting from dublin, cork etc this year. Currently all lectures, anatomy tutorials and communication and pbl are online but usually these are face to face.

We have online clinical and a face to face anatomy session once a week (mon or thurs or both). These can be on different days. PBL in first year is tues and fri. If most things went back face to face in sep I'd say 4 days a week, weds is usually just lectures so that would also depend if they kept them online or not. I know people think pbl is not a lot of contact time but theres still anatomy, clinical skills and communication to think about as well as the lectures. There are also lectures on other days too between sessions. I can let you know if we hear anything about next years structure!

Thank you so much for the in-depth reply, I really appreciate it! Yeah I think the best thing for me to do in reality would be to get accommodation down there as I will need to do as much study as possible! Not even super hopeful that I will get in an a 56, but it's worth a try! If you get any more information in the mean time then I would be really grateful to hear it! Thank you 🙂

• Advertisement

gem2021 wrote: »
    Hi Aoife, I’m also hoping to get into UL this year and if so am strongly considering commuting from Offaly which is also a long commute. Would be very interested in hearing more about the possibility of distance learning for next year:)

Fingers crossed for you that you get in! 🙂 were you waiting on results today?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gem2021

Thank you! Yes I got a 57 today so who knows🤷*♀️ Fingers crossed I might be lucky. Hopefully you are too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 si1234

Would love to hear what the latest is on this or if 2nd years have heard any more? I am hoping to commute from Galway next year!

si1234 wrote: »
    Would love to hear what the latest is on this or if 2nd years have heard any more? I am hoping to commute from Galway next year!

They are hoping to be back to face to face for as much as possible but like last year no one really knows what things will be like in September and it can change day to day!

ma003 wrote: »
    They are hoping to be back to face to face for as much as possible but like last year no one really knows what things will be like in September and it can change day to day!

That's great thank you! Hopefully I get a place now, the wait is agonising!

• Advertisement

Just said I'd update anyone if I heard anything about UL's timetable over the summer! Going into second year GEM at UL and we've just been told out lectures, pbl sessions and anatomy tutorials are going to be online for the foreseeable future! This just leaves our 2 hour clinical skills (compulsory), 2 hour (communication clinical skills, compulsory but was online last year, they are saying they hope it will be face to face) and our one hour anatomy tutorial (not compulsory, lots of people don't go) so 5 hours in all that will be face to face. I'm guessing it will be the same for first year, just for anyone looking for accommodation and want to know what the sitch might be!

Thanks so much for the update! Fairly surprised to be honest, I thought everything would start getting back to normal with all the vaccinations, but obviously not. Thanks again for the update 🙂

No bother! We only found out today and I think everyone is a bit annoyed considering everything was meant to be back to campus according to the government but pbl and anatomy tutorials which are run in small groups are gonna be online for the foreseeable future. If they can't run pbl (groups of 8) face to face I don't see how any other course will be back on campus tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 20 si1234

Hi guys, just noted UL have updated their plans for Autumn 2021. Not sure if anyone (incoming 1st or 2nd years) has heard if the update previous posters here had gotten still stands or are we all back on-campus?

Yes we heard today, back face to face every day except wednesday which is when most lectures are held-these will be online, presume it will be the same for the first years!

Advertisement