Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo Issues

Options
  • 19-04-2021 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

I planted some Bamboo 2 x Phyllostachys nigra 2.5 years ago and they haven't really taken off as much as I would like. I'm just wondering if there are any bamboo experts here who might be able to help.

The original idea was they would grow tall and provide some privacy from a neighboring window which overlooks our seating area. While they have grown a bit in width they have not really increased in height atall. The label says they will go up to 5m.

Ive kept them well watered in good weather and this year I fed them with a grass feed which seemed to be the online advice. and again they are spreading just no growing tall! The browning of the leaves is fairly constant doesnt get any worse but doesnt get much better either!

Any input appreciated! :pac:

This is what they looked like when first planted:Pxj0ACb.jpg

The below are the current situation
    Kj7eriR.jpg

SWGt9Ft.jpg

Kj7eriR.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭odoliam

https://www.google.com/search?q=bamboo+brown+tips+and+not+growing&rlz=1C1GCEA_enIE919IE920&oq=bamboo+brown+tips+and+not&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33i160j33i21.10311j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Why are the tips of the leaves on my bamboo turning brown?
    This is usually a sign of too much water so cease or reduce watering your Bamboo plant immediately. Over watering is the most common mistake when growing bamboo.

If you are unsure how much water to give your Bamboo plant, watch the leaves they will curl into themselves as the plant becomes dry and at this point you will know its time to water. Its better to let the Bamboo go a little dry than to over water. The Bamboo leaves will open back up within a few hours and you will quickly learn when your Bamboo needs to be watered.

or

Could also be the soil is too rich in fertiliser - so needs over-watering to flush out

Only you can know what the soil is like in that raised bed
    Is there enough drainage out of the bed or is it sealed up? Looks like it might be

If sealed up, might need to knock through a few drainage holes down the bottom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Thanks odoliam

Its fully open to the ground below the bed so should be ok on that front.

Generally speaking its only watered during the summer months. but I will stop all watering and look for the reaction of curling the leaves...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Kill it with fire.

The only appropriate response to a bamboo related question!

Advertisement