Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunk beds

Options
  • 19-04-2021 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in the market for bunk beds so looking for any recommendations/ places to stay clear of.

Budget wise it's pretty open. I want a sturdy frame that will withstand the usual jumping and messing that goes with kids.

I was looking at frames that come with shelves and storage all hard to judge from internet pictures.

Any advice would be welcome :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Despite not liking metal frames we currently have the IKEA metal bunks with a trundle bed underneath and it is very sturdy. The original ones we were going to get had shelves on the inside and the steps were storage but they were for the 10 year old and I was not sure how sturdy they would be or age wise how long they would last.

We have the IKEA Mydal, the basic pine ones they offer. They're untreated so you can paint them if you don't want the pine look or you can buy them in white now. They're fine. Not beautiful but fairly sturdy and haven't given us any trouble. My kids are very active and always hanging/swinging off them and we've had no problems.

We have regular plastic underbed storage bins underneath but you don't really see them if they're pushed in fully. We got a wall pocket thing from H&M for the child in the top bunk to use for books, bottle of water, etc.

I was reluctant to invest in expensive bunk beds given that the kids might want their own beds/rooms as they get older but there are some lovely ones out there. Three-level ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

We got these in January as we didn’t want full height because of the younger lad. Very happy with them. And they are two solid single beds that can be used separately when they are older. Delivery is slow. Got the mattresses in IKEA. Be careful of the length!

https://www.easyfurniture.ie/etagenbett-moritz-l-buche-vollholz-massiv-weiss-lackiert-mit-regal-inkl-rollrost-90-x-200-cm-1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭fits

I got a flexa bed second hand and it’s very sturdy. They are wicked expensive new. Not sure if they do bunk beds. Ours is a mid sleeper and I might try get another.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ikea metal framed bunk with a trundle for sleepovers here. They were the best priced ones for something that he'll grow out of in less than a decade. Also for that reason I decided against a desk underneath. I got the Kallax storage with lots of drona boxes for storage instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Thanks for all the replies :)

I originally started off with an Ikea bed in mind as it's really only for 5-6 years ....then as these things tend to go browsing gave up more ideas with prices increasing.

The easy furniture beds do look very tempting and it's reassuring when you hear a good review.

Still mulling it over, though I might be first in line when ikea finally reopens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks for all the replies :)

I originally started off with an Ikea bed in mind as it's really only for 5-6 years ....then as these things tend to go browsing gave up more ideas with prices increasing.

The easy furniture beds do look very tempting and it's reassuring when you hear a good review.

Still mulling it over, though I might be first in line when ikea finally reopens

We have “Oxford” bunk beds in white.
    They are grand.
    My two boys were sharing a room and it is serving them well.
    At the minute they seem to sleep in separate rooms!! One of them likes to sleep in the spare room. So not sure how much longer we will use them for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Steer clear of Andersons Themes and Dreams! They do the most incredible bunks but their customer service is the worst I've ever experienced.

Advertisement