Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Cannot and will not fault De Gea for losing this tie.

Squarely on the shoulders of Ole and some of our big names who didn't perform.

I dunno, a goalkeeper who takes home a million a month would want to be better at saving penalties. Maybe that's my own ludicrous opinion, but there's certainly not something right about De Gea's penalty success/failure rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The two times De Gea did guess right, he should have saved both.

Didn't look too crestfallen afterwards either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Yeah but he's looking over to the bench to see beek, Mata and Dan James who've done fůck all all year!

It's same story as last year. He hasn't played the bench enough to get them up to speed so when they do come on they're no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

pjohnson wrote: »
    We were never winning a shoot out with De Gea.

He barely tries to save them at the best times so no Villareal taker had any pressure.

May well have been worth subbing in Henderson.

I was thinking the same.

It’s mad to think despite being such a good shot stopper he can’t save penalties. It’s no secret.

He’s failed to make a save in 28 penalties on the trot. Not including today obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I thought the starting team was spot on from Ole and the players never turned up, plenty of half chances but that was that.

During the game, Ole continued with the likes of Rashford who offered absolutely nothing for 120 mins and took off Greenwood who actually was decent. It was cowardly and naive.

A huge dampener on a decent season and that's exactly what it is now, second behind City and no trophy, nothing. Leaves a bad taste in the mouth looking ahead to next season.

A sickener of an evening, the chances were there, much the better side and we couldn't step up to the mark even having SAF there to urge them on.

Villarreal were poor but they seem to be a decent club given their size so more power to them, rubbish from United.

Disgusted really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Everything we're discussing is a symptom of one thing; crappy owners.

Without the Glazers we don't have Ole as manager (he was meant to be a stop gap and at any other club that's all he would have been) and then we wouldn't have exhausted players.

Not to mention the plethora of other things that are their fault.

I'm almost glad we didn't win because it keeps pressure on them to sell,I just wish we had won though. Tonight has been a night to forget for so many reasons.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Yeah but he's looking over to the bench to see beek, Mata and Dan James who've done fůck all all year!

It’s hard to do anything when you’re barely played. If Bruno or Rashford get injured one of those lads has to come into the team like. Why have a bench if you don’t use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Masala wrote: »
    All he had to do was boot it down the middle. Both keepers dived for all pens... so it was going to be a dead cert

Ever taken a penalty yourself. Should have could have would have. He went one way. The keeper fussed right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Don't care about penalties, they are what they are.

That game was lost on the sideline from the 60th minute on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

KH25 wrote: »
    His unwillingness to make substitutions is ridiculous and he hasn’t learned. It’s infuriating.

Who was going to change/win the game from the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Blessing in disguise, see that can't say what I want to say in crowd clapping and cheering hoping we win so won't need any additional players next year.

We need at least 5 to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

No one. Simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Lads the quality of most of the penos was insane. We lost it in when we didn't score in the second half. Arguing over penos. Christ.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I'm gutted for De Gea lads.

He's one of the best servants of the last decade and now he's getting abuse when we should be beating Villareal over 120 minutes!!!

Villareal were the better side for 75 minutes. We were better in the 2nd half. That's on the manager.

No matter how good De Gea is. And he is great it’s no secret he isn’t good at penalties.

His record speaks for himself. I’m not giving out about him, more annoyed Ole hadn’t made the call to throw Henderson in for them.

Soon as the subs where made the fresh legs brought some energy and we got in top again. They started pressing us hard prior to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Can understand his reluctance with VDB and James.

But surely Mata was worth a try? A player who can open up teams and has a great eye for a pass.

Amad is confident and pretty fearless and I'd have even thrown him on for 20 mins. Its the kind of ballsy thing Fergie always did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Highest paid keeper in Europe can't save 1 of 11 penalties.Sir Alex dropped Leighton for a Cup final replay...Ole should have subbed him like I said earlier......lessons must be learned......Conte is available!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Disappointing but a positive season overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What would have happened had DeGea scored?
    It would have been 11-11. Are they allowed bring on substitutes to continue the shoot out or is the trophy shared under those circumstances?

°°°°°

Champagne corks popping in other threads.

We're a joke of a club really.

Haven't heard rival fans as vocal since the 80s.

We're making no progress as we are.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Didn't look like De Gea had ever practiced taking a penalty in his life, small details win trophies

Didn't deserve anything tonight anyway

A keeper missing a penalty is not the issue. De Geas biggest issue is he faced 11 penalties without ever looking like he could save one. For someone who once had pretentions to be the best goalkeeper in the world his penalty record is woeful. Journeyman opposite him had a far greater presence facing the spot kicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

pjohnson wrote: »
    We were never winning a shoot out with De Gea.

He barely tries to save them at the best times so no Villareal taker had any pressure.

May well have been worth subbing in Henderson.

1412924436606_wps_22_MANCHESTER_ENGLAND_SEPTEM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

secman wrote: »
    Sick... for such a good shot stopper he's beyond bad for pens, mostly drops on his left knee. If he literally stood for 2 of them he'd have been in the way and saved them. We only had one poor pen prior to his one, Luke got lucky with his. I'm disappointed but at least the vultures Glazers are not celebrating, small mercies.

One of my goalkeeper coaches once told me if you've confidence in the rest of your team try stay straight and dive late. Basically someone will go down the middle. From my own basic maths, one in five usually did in a shootout. He just doesn't seem confident at penos full stop but that game shouldn't have needed extra time.

****e performance, tactically inept and absolutely woeful use of the bench. Mental mental stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

BenK wrote: »
    we'll be scrambling for 4th at best again.

Average at best manager who will keep his head down and quietly get on with it. Nice guy who genuinely wants the best for the club and fans, but is just not good enough to get it.

Top 4 is the aim as far as the money men are concerned. It's the be all and end all. Everything else is a pleasant bonus. They'll plow ahead with their subservient manager and the bare minimum investment to make sure top 4 happens.

A few nice propaganda pieces about Utd staying true to their roots, promoting youth yada yada....

Bleak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

ollkiller wrote: »
    Ever taken a penalty yourself. Should have could have would have. He went one way. The keeper fussed right.

Took plenty...never as ****ty as that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

ollkiller wrote: »
    Do one. Real fans will rally round him. Not his fault at all. We should have won it in the second half.

Never said it was De Gea's fault at all :confused::confused:

I've always backed De Gea and I have a bad feeling he's not going to be at this club next season and i'm devastated it has to end this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I'd have brought on Amad, young, fearless and willing to prove himself.

Fergie regurarly brought on young guns and nicked a goal from nowhere, Macheda most famously.

Worth doing something rather than nothing. Dan James with 5 mins to go. At least give him the full extra time.

°°°°°

How our standards have dropped

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

chicorytip wrote: »
    It would have been 11-11. Are they allowed bring on substitutes to continue the shoot out or is the trophy shared under those circumstances?

No start again with the 11 on the pitch in whatever order

• Advertisement

Circle round the 11 again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not even disappointed. This is the United now.

We are getting used to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

nullzero wrote: »
    Champagne corks popping in other threads.

We're a joke of a club really.

Haven't heard rival fans as vocal since the 80s.

We're making no progress as we are.

Any reason why you'd read those threads, let them get to you and then mention it here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Back to Mata gor another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Well done Villarreal, amazing accomplishment for such a small club in a small city.

Unai Emery is an unbelievable manager at this level, the man is the king of Europa League.

I think I said it in this thread that Villarreal was going to be the hardest opponent for us but we didnt even try, I felt it was an awful performance and it's a result I could see coming

When you have a manager that shouldn't be near the club, what do you expect to happen? I hate to drone on about it but we need a world class manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Soon as the subs where made the fresh legs brought some energy and we got in top again. They started pressing us hard prior to that

No we didn’t. Fred was the only one on for long enough to help.
    The bench isn’t good enough.
    Anything over the second when the main first team players weren’t playing we struggled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I think they would have given the trophy to united because they had the higher coefficent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Is Fergie handing out their winning medals?

Jeez, can this get any worse?

°°°°°

Not even disappointed. This is the United now.

We are getting used to this.

A positive season according to some.

The new normal, United are sh1te.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Absolutely. He's the keeper, not a fcuking penalty taker. We all know penalties are a weakness and something Henderson is decent enough at. The loss tonight sits firmly at Oles door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

It's the slightest slightest of improvements. Overall it's not good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Smart business needed in the summer or Europa League is where end up more often than not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

It’s not just tonight though. He constantly leaves it late to make subs. Constantly leaves Bruno, Rashford etc. on the pitch when he could make a change. This is how we end up with players on their last legs on the pitch.

And FWIW I would have brought Mata on because he can pick a pass against a team sitting back. I’d have even looked at putting Amad on if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Thepoet85 wrote:
    Slan Dave.

Retracting this, definitely said in the heat of the moment. Was rubbish at the pens, but the result isn't on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not sure how anyone can say Ole is the man to win us trophies. Shat the bed again tonight.

Rashford played possibly the worst game I have ever seen from him. He did nothing all night.

Don't come out and tell me there was nothing on the bench, when Emery brought on Alberto ****ing Moreno!!

duffman13 wrote: »
    One of my goalkeeper coaches once told me if you've confidence in the rest of your team try stay straight and dive late. Basically someone will go down the middle. From my own basic maths, one in five usually did in a shootout. He just doesn't seem confident at penos full stop but that game shouldn't have needed extra time.

****e performance, tactically inept and absolutely woeful use of the bench. Mental mental stuff

VR had a few down the middle. Edwin or PS would have stopped at least 2

No we didn’t. Fred was the only one on for long enough to help.
    The bench isn’t good enough.
    Anything over the second when the main first team players weren’t playing we struggled.

I mean the last 5 mins we where pushing on to **** the 20 before that we where under pressure it was just to late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

nullzero wrote: »
    A positive season according to some.

The new normal, United are sh1te.

Ole has lowered the expectations of utd and some utd fans are blind to see it.

We've effectively turned into Arsenal at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I can't get over how bad ole was tonight. Just did nothing. Showed no awareness or ambition.

He won't be sacked, but United are going absolutely no where under him. He simply doesn't have the mentality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Penalties are meant to be near impossible to save. That’s the point. So I don’t really blame DDG at all. While it would have been nice to see him save one, I don’t expect it in a shoot out.

I’m furious with the utterly cowardly display from the coaching staff today. No subs all game, waits till the 100th minute to swap Greenwood for Fred, and dragged the game to a penalty shoot out which we lost.

Because we very, very obviously were playing for the shootout from 60-70mins onwards.

Utterly appealing from Ole tonight. The loss is on him and his utter refusal to ever try and shake things up from the bench. Which is shocking considering who he is and what he stood for as a player.

We should have beaten them over 90 minutes.

Ole is rightfully getting criticisms but think Rio is on the money too.

Nothing really from Bruno, Rashford, Pogba.
    Cost us.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement