Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I'd have brought on Amad, young, fearless and willing to prove himself.

Fergie regurarly brought on young guns and nicked a goal from nowhere, Macheda most famously.

Worth doing something rather than nothing. Dan James with 5 mins to go. At least give him the full extra time.

So Amad and James.
    That’s the answer from the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Gutted.

Can't understand Ole's approach at all. He has to use his bench in normal time. We were dead on our feet. Pogba and Rashford were offering nothing. Mata and VDB could have livened us up again.

So disappointed. Can't blame De Gea for missing the pen but good grief he just doesn't look like he will ever save one.

Bad night for Ole and the club. Ugh, gutted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ultimately that's on Ole again, but all things being the same but we bring in Henderson for De Gea for that shootout and we win imo. De Gea has always been crap at penalty saving. I could have been in there for all the use he was in that shootout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Right we have finished second in the league mainly because Lampard decided Kante wasn't good enough to play CDM, buying Werner and sticking him on the wing and Liverpools injury crisis..

Oles determination to stick with a 4231 when in fact it does not work against weaker teams. Absolutely useless again tonight. Playing two players as holding Midfielders sacrificing an attacking player does not make sense.

He went and bought Telles and VDB and left them on the bench while running Bruno, Pogba and Rashford into the ground.

Cavani only became a starter when Martial got injured and without Cavani we would not be second.

Relying on moments of individual brilliance on the counter attack is about we offer.

Tonight for example the second half was screaming for a change in tactics we where on top and dominating, 4231 is over cautious with the players we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

VR had a few down the middle. Edwin or PS would have stopped at least 2

Foster/Kuszczak/Howard/Taibi

DDG is a statistical anamoly he is so awful at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So Amad and James.

Fred, Mata.

Fred for Greenwood was a terribly negative move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Not sure how anyone can say Ole is the man to win us trophies. Shat the bed again tonight.

Rashford played possibly the worst game I have ever seen from him. He did nothing all night.

Don't come out and tell me there was nothing on the bench, when Emery brought on Alberto ****ing Moreno!!

At any other top 4 club (not that we are a regular top 4 side anymore) a manager with Solksjaer's limitations would have been sent packing ages ago.

I'll always love the guy, but he's out of his depth and he's being used as a stalking horse for the Glazers continuing destruction of this club. A veneer of club tradition on the surface of the mess they're turning the club into.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ole is rightfully getting criticisms but think Rio is on the money too.

Nothing really from Bruno, Rashford, Pogba.
    Cost us.

And what did ole do about it? Could have brought on vdb, amad/James and Mata for them.

Ole should be sacked

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Cost us.

As a coach then, you need to shake things up and make swaps.

On paper, James or Amad or Mata are not better than Rashford. But when Rashford is having that level of a stinker, sub him off and see if maybe the energy from the others changes things.

It’s up to the coach to fix obvious issues during a game, and Ole didn’t even try. He never does.

• Advertisement

Fred, Mata.

I can see the rational for Fred though. We were at risk of being over run at the time and needed legs

Cost us.

Bruno is a concern he was way over the top today. United always had lads who had been there done that we don't any more and we've started bottling. Real fear of being the old Liverpool teams at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

We can talk all we like about signings but my guess is the clubs as stuck for cash as any other big non petroclub. Covid might finally deflate the transfer fee bubble. Kane/Haalaand etc are going to City/PSG oil clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

The game was lost around the 60-70th min when no subs were made.

Rashford had a stinker from the start and should of been subbed.

Pogba and Bruno were also very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

State of them taking their runners up medals off the minute they are put on them.

Shouldn’t annoy me but it does.

Fred, Mata.

We had to do that as we were being overrun at that stage. They took of a forward and brought on a def midfielder before that.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thought some of De Gea's attempted saves were pretty poor to be honest, no conviction. He seems to second guess himself or something just as the ball is being struck, like he's trying to read it rather than just picking a side and going for it.

His penalty attempt was just one of someone with no confidence. Their keeper just struck it like a goal kick. Always feel like weak penalty takers should just go for power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Utter ****ing nonsense. People need to cop on. United will never have the star depth of city. Using the bench which is mid table quality in the prem at worst should be the least to expect in a final. Sevilla were the same brought on de Jong a glorified carthorse and he effected the game.
    The game opened up loads in ET , amad? James? VDB? None of them could exploit the space ?

I don't know anymore excuses are just astonishing at this point.

Totally nonsense is right. If you're happy with what we have on the bench next season should be ok for you. For a massive club our squad is brutal. No excuses were just short of quality back up players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

piplip87 wrote: »
    Right we have finished second in the league mainly because Lampard decided Kante wasn't good enough to play CDM, buying Werner and sticking him on the wing and Liverpools injury crisis..

I'm thinking you're not really a glass half full type...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

So Amad and James.

Amad yes absolutely, give the players the full extra time rather than a 5 minute run around.

Rashford offered absolutely nothing and it was plain as day from 60mins onwards, he was a hindrance giving the ball away and losing possession.

Villarreal are an inferior group of players compared to United and Emery knew how to exploit United's weaknesses under Ole, set pieces and give them too much of the ball. It got them to 90mins, ride out the extra time with fresh players (which was easy in the end for them) while United stood still.

Ole was naive tonight and felt players would come good, they didn't and he's paid the price for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cost us.

Big players and you expect them to step up on the big occasion but all 3 were anonymous, Scotty in midfield put them all to shame.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    State of them taking their runners up medals off the minute they are put on them.

Yeah same here. It's like they're trying to convey the image "I don't settle for 2nd place, I'm a winner"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Penalties are meant to be near impossible to save. That’s the point. So I don’t really blame DDG at all. While it would have been nice to see him save one, I don’t expect it in a shoot out.

I’m furious with the utterly cowardly display from the coaching staff today. No subs all game, waits till the 100th minute to swap Greenwood for Fred, and dragged the game to a penalty shoot out which we lost.

Because we very, very obviously were playing for the shootout from 60-70mins onwards.

Utterly appealing from Ole tonight. The loss is on him and his utter refusal to ever try and shake things up from the bench. Which is shocking considering who he is and what he stood for as a player.

We should have beaten them over 90 minutes.

A penalty is about .75 xg so 3 out 4 will be scored pretty much.

You would expect your goalkeeper to get close to a couple of them when 11 have been taken or the previous 25 taken before that.

I dunno Henderson's record at penalties but it couldn't be any worse than De geas

°°°°°

Schwiiing wrote: »
    We can talk all we like about signings but my guess is the clubs as stuck for cash as any other big non petroclub. Covid might finally deflate the transfer fee bubble. Kane/Haalaand etc are going to City/PSG oil clubs.

Kane and Haaland don't stop us conceding from conceding from very other set piece or stop Solksjaer forgetting he has a subs bench.

Our problems can't be solved by marquee signings up front, even though we could do with them.

We need more players than we can possibly afford.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I can't remember the last time Rashford blew me away with a superb 90 mins display, he's a shadow of what he was but I think he needs a long rest and he's bound to be still not a 100% fitness wise

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Very disappointing result. Let's hope there's a "take this feeling and never let this happen again" moment happening in the dressing room right now.

Should've happened after the winnable semi final last year against Sevilla (which had the very same game management issues, as did the quarter final)

Started and Ended both this season and last season in shocking or indifferent form.

He's afraid of losing more than anything.

I'd prefer if he made changes and went for it and showed some form of plan b or tactical flexibility.

He doesn't trust the subs, or doesn't think they're up to it? Well they're hardly going to do it for him if all they ever get is a cursory few minutes here and there. There are international footballers there with bags of experience and he's treating them a like they're has beens or prospects.

No offence to Dan James, but absolutely f*ck bringing him on before someone with Matas skillset in a tight European final against a defence that has coped with the tactic of running at them.

Rashford wasn't remotely as bad as made out, but he was dead on his feet and has been woefully mismanaged too for the 2nd season in a row.

Fernandes was poor and seemed at time more interested in nagging the ref.

All that comes from the manager though. There doesn't seem to be anything remotely like a flexible, tactical approach or twerk mid game. He will change things at half time, but it's all reactive and never proactive.

Totally nonsense is right. If you're happy with what we have on the bench next season should be ok for you. For a massive club our squad is brutal. No excuses were just short of quality back up players

We had the better bench today and despite that didn't use it

°°°°°

Headshot wrote: »
    I can't remember the last time Rashford blew me away with a superb 90 mins display, he's a shadow of what he was but I think he needs a long rest and he's bound to be still not a 100% fitness wise

Another example of a talented young player run into the ground at a young age.

His continued injuries are a serious worry at this stage. It's hard to see him playing at the top level in 10 years time.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

nullzero wrote: »
    Kane and Haaland don't stop us conceding from conceding from very other set piece or stop Solksjaer forgetting he has a subs bench.

Our problems can't be solved by marquee signings up front, even though we could do with them.

We need more players than we can possibly afford.

We need a starting 30 goal striker. And a CB. As an example, Martinez and Skriniar @ Inter fit the bill. Inter are nearly bust but do we even have the money?

He's been playing through injury a lot of time a good rest is what he needs as you say.

They are really losers medals, so I can’t blame them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

awec wrote: »
    Thought some of De Gea's attempted saves were pretty poor to be honest, no conviction. He seems to second guess himself or something just as the ball is being struck, like he's trying to read it rather than just picking a side and going for it.

His penalty attempt was just one of someone with no confidence. Their keeper just struck it like a goal kick. Always feel like weak penalty takers should just go for power.

Penos are a lottery and near impossible for the goalkeeper but De Gea hasn’t saved one in nearly 5 years. For a game that is analysed with stats by back room staff. That’s pretty damning and suggests it more than bad luck. Henderson has saved 6 in that time.

Ultimately Ole lost that game. It’s mind boggling that they changed half their team and we were left with the same players run ragged.

The time has come to cash in on Pogba if we can. Not that he isn’t good enough, but he is a cherry on top player, whereas we need a bit more substance. A Rice or similar along with McT and maybe a Fred replacement together with a world class cf and Torres preferably for Cb could be what we need. Only the departure of Pogba could see enough money available in wages for such investment

Don't know how anyone's first response to that final is "we need to go out and spend big this summer"

Tonight was all on the manager.

Harry Maguire was clearly only on the bench so he wouldn't look like a full kit wanker if we won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

The posts on DDG are fcuking pathetic,made from lads sitting on their couches saving everything on FIFA!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Penos are a lottery and near impossible for the goalkeeper but De Gea hasn’t saved one in nearly 5 years. For a game that is analysed with stats by back room staff. That’s pretty damning and suggests it more than bad luck. Henderson has saved 6 in that time.

Ultimately Ole lost that game. It’s mind boggling that they changed half their team and we were left with the same players run ragged.
    Dave has saved 0 of last 25.
    Henderson has saved 8 from 17 in the same period (Inc eng u21)

Plus all 11 tonight so 36.

°°°°°

Don't know how anyone's first response to that final is "we need to go out and spend big this summer"

Tonight was all on the manager.

Harry Maguire was clearly only on the bench so he wouldn't look like a full kit wanker if we won.

You could give Solksjaer the best squad in the world and he'd fvck it up somehow. Most likely by lack of rotation.

There's young lads stacking shelves in Tesco with more intuitive understanding of the concept of rotation than Solksjaer.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You know what, any other top team in Europe had this result and performance tonight would sack their manager and rightfully so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

0 of his last 36 now!

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He's been playing through injury a lot of time a good rest is what he needs as you say.

Fingers crossed he has a minor niggle that keeps him out of the euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

De Gea is a reflex keeper and not much else. Doesnt command his area and not the most confident on crosses, really likes to stick to his line. Wouldnt say hes great with a ball at his feet either. Did i expect him to score a peno...no but I also didnt expect him to save one. I think he lacks that presence.

Not sure about Henderson, reminds me of Pickford at times.

One thing that annoyed me was the goal kicks being played out to the side only for it to be passed across the box and De Gea to poorly pass it out and lose possession.

Rashford shouldve come off on the hour...he did nothing but run into people and bad touches

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There’s going to be fun when we splash 70m on a defender and still keep shipping in goals from set pieces because the coaching on how to defend them is woeful.

I’m not saying Ole needs replacing but some new blood needs to be injected into the coaching team. Whoever is coaching set pieces is doing a piss poor job based on the results we are seeing on field. And a new coach would likely cost a pittance in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭BenK

We're as far away as we've ever been. Whatever about the manager we need at least 4 players brought in during the summer.

And that's pretty much been the case every summer since Fergie retired. We've never brought in the right players so not sure how anybody could think it'll happen this summer considering Covid and everything else.

Depressing state of affairs all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Dozyart wrote: »
    The posts on DDG are fcuking pathetic,made from lads sitting on their couches saving everything on FIFA!!

He got near about two peno's but that shootout was insane. His penalty wasn't even that bad, it was heading for the corner but the keeper guessed one right and got it at full stretch.

We go again next season. Lets hope for some good summer signings.

Dozyart wrote: »

Do you need to be an expert to see that he's not good at saving penalties?
    The proof is in the stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think I said it last month that Rashford was starting to look burned out. Hasnt been proper for between 18-20 months, maybe the odd flash of life but mostly trudging through the motions.

The decline is possibly terminal at this point :(

Time to starting incinerating Greenwood instead I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You know what, any other top team in Europe had this result and performance tonight would sack their manager and rightfully so

Great point.

They actually would even you think about it. Especially with no trophies already.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He got near about two peno's but that shootout was insane. His penalty wasn't even that bad, it was heading for the corner but the keeper guessed one right and got it at full stretch.

We go again next season. Lets hope for some good summer signings.

Not all the penalties were crackers.

Their keeper should have saved 2 at least (Bruno and Shaw). Shaw's especially, had Villareal lost I am sure their keeper would have been raging at that one.

°°°°°

Lord TSC wrote: »
    There’s going to be fun when we splash 70m on a defender and still keep shipping in goals from set pieces because the coaching on how to defend them is woeful.

I’m not saying Ole needs replacing but some new blood needs to be injected into the coaching team. Whoever is coaching set pieces is doing a piss poor job based on the results we are seeing on field. And a new coach would likely cost a pittance in that way.

It's hard to argue in favour of a manager who consistently fails to rotate his squad effectively.

His first choice players end the season exhausted and his back up players have had no opportunity to gain any form so the entire squad is of no use to anyone.

Two seasons on the bounce we've ended absolutely shockingly bad for the same reason.

He's going nowhere. He's popular with fans because of 99 and he's cheap as chips and keeps his gob shut and toes the line.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

People saying the bench isn't good enough need a bit of a reality check. Ole hasn't trusted his bench all season and it was shown tonight in all its glory. Moreno, Coquelin and Raba would struggle to get into a top championship starting 11 but were trusted by their manager to give fresh energy.

Donny, Amad, Telles were all signed by Ole for a not insignificant amount and seen 4 mins between them. Rashford and Fernandes are untouchable. Granted, both have lots in the bank particularly Fernandes but it's not a good message when neither are ever taken off. Rashford was so bad but what message does it send to Greenwood

Oles squad/game management cost us that game more than any other reason.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement