Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Strange to leave out him bringing a spurs side to a cl final in a year they were drained of all investment or leading southampton to 8th aswell.

Time to order an new trophy cabinet!

Spurs had a cracking team that year and a gift of a semi final. I like Poch but his managerial ability is greatly overstated by many imo. He would be a step up on Ole but not the step up we need imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,462 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Zidane, Allegri, Conte and possibly Poch

All available this summer but yet we will offer a 3 year extension to Ole...Says it all really.

Apart from Conte - I don't think these are realistic candidates at all.
    And would Conte even want it? Probably he's eyeing up the Real job.

Allegri is going back to Juve. That seems a cert.
    The Poch return to Spurs is gaining momentum.

Don't think Zidane would be a good fit to be honest.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

PARlance wrote: »
    Time to order an new trophy cabinet!

Spurs had a cracking team that year and a gift of a semi final. I like Poch but his managerial ability is greatly overstated by many imo. He would be a step up on Ole but not the step up we need imo.

Yeah, a team he built and coached to be that good.

Gift of a semi final? Let's overlook the fact they got out of a group with Barca (who completely humped us that year) and Inter and PSV. It was a tougher group than ours.

Then they hammered Dortmund over 2 legs, dumped city out Ajax who had convincingly dumped out Real Madrid. Yeah but he had an easy path.

The other claim about bottling the title when Leicester one then fails to see how much they improved the following year, and also fails to take into account that absolutely everyone but Leicester messed up that season.

He's a far better coach, tactical and otherwise than Ole. There's no disputing that. He has taken unfashionable or unfancied teams and made them better than the sum of their parts several times now. If he were given the sort of freedom that Ole seems to have, that no other manager since Fergie seems to have had, I don't doubt we'd be in a better position.

Would it last? Who knows. There are not many teams who do any more outside of Bayern, City and Juve. Always going to have to look at things in 3-5 year cycles really. There won't be a reign like Fergie anytime soon unless we get find a once in a generation type coach who is prepared to reinvent themselves and change their philosophy over time

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Conte is far too confrontational , cant ever see him getting a job with glazers in charge. he's blown a fuse with all his past clubs after 12 months or so. Poch leaving PSG is an odd one , in saying that him going there on an 18month deal was as strange. Hes always undertaken "projects" for the longer haul, PSG wanted CL success and quickly. Be interested to see where he goes next.

Don't think it's that odd. Seems every manager there runs into a Leonardo problem. If you were PSG, you'd be sacking him really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,175 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pochs greatest achievement is ending PSG's dominance of Ligue 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I know it will never happen but what would you say Fergie would so with this squad?

Who would he keep and who would he get rid?

Do you think he challenges with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Conte is far too confrontational , cant ever see him getting a job with glazers in charge. he's blown a fuse with all his past clubs after 12 months or so. Poch leaving PSG is an odd one , in saying that him going there on an 18month deal was as strange. Hes always undertaken "projects" for the longer haul, PSG wanted CL success and quickly. Be interested to see where he goes next.
    I would think it's a negotiating tactic on his part looking for more of a commitment from PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

I know it will never happen but what would you say Fergie would so with this squad?

Who would he keep and who would he get rid?

Do you think he challenges with it?

No doubt in my mind he'd challenge with this lot, considering some of the squads he won leagues with.

Only players I think he'd want rid of straight away are Pogba and Martial, think he'd improve the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The club would be run completely different to what it is now.

No way Rashford would have a 200k per week contract and the no.10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

If Jose was in charge and he did that last night we would be looking for his head.

But with Ole its progress.

Its hard to believe that a manager had 3 weeks to come up with a situation that was possible in a game and had no idea what to do

Don’t agree with that at all.

Plenty have been posting about sacking Ole. Don’t understand this narrative that he’s untouchable or that no one is having a go at him. It’s all over the thread.

I’m not one gunning for Ole’s head just yet but the idea that he’s being treated differently I don’t buy. Whenever people call out Ole some defend him pointing to progress. Whenever Jose’s head was called for he was defended by people pointing to the team and his experience.

Six of one half a dozen of the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

pjohnson wrote: »
    Pochs greatest achievement is ending PSG's dominance of Ligue 1.

I’m back again.

Anything said for Andre Villa Boas? I stand by my claims back in 2012.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    FFS Rashford, get off twitter and give the social justice stuff a rest for once. You couldn't be reading it aged 7 because you have to be 13 to join twitter.

Why even mention playing through obstacles if it's no excuse?

The cheek of him having a opinion. How dare he express independent thought and how dare he attempt to reject abusive behaviour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Don’t agree with that at all.

Plenty have been posting about sacking Ole. Don’t understand this narrative that he’s untouchable or that no one is having a go at him. It’s all over the thread.

I’m not one gunning for Ole’s head just yet but the idea that he’s being treated differently I don’t buy. Whenever people call out Ole some defend him pointing to progress. Whenever Jose’s head was called for he was defended by people pointing to the team and his experience.

Six of one half a dozen of the other.

Maybe in here it is yes, but from sections of the media, especially United, few, if any have come out and expressed a desire to see change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57272615

I’d be very happy if United got this lad ( Gianluigi Donnarumma ) on a free. Not necessarily a priority but even if United could only offload one of DDG or Henderson I’d be happier with a player of this potential.

Henderson hasn’t convinced me , that’s not to say he can’t improve or grow into the role but this seems like a really good opportunity to get one of the worlds best young goalkeeepers for free that doesn’t come up often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There is zero chance united go for Donnarumma.

There is already going to be an a problem dealing with Henderson/DDG, without adding a third to the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Does anyone really see things changing. In truth we need at least 4 to players to have us competing for the League and CL.
    Varane, Rice, Kane and Sancho or Grealish. ( or their equivalent ) That's at least 400m. On top of that we need a manager who can make decisions tactically.

What we will get is Albiol (or some other CH in that age bracket), Khedria, an unheard of 16yo worldie and our star signing probably Danny Ings. Ole gets 3 year contract, we are mid table at xmas and ole gets the sack. Rinse and fukin repeat.

Next season is going to be a serious struggle. City Scousers and Chelsea all look to be stronger than us. So we will be in a dog fight with Spurs Leicester Arsenal Everton WH etc for a CL position.

Dont build yeer Hope's up lads because it's normal for 1 step forward 2 steps back at this Club

I do think we will get a good signing or two - I would expect Sancho (as i did last summer) and at least 1 other top signing - Varane or Torres seem the likeliest, but I would really like a top DM, and think we will suffer more for not signing a top DM than a CB.

But, it doesn't really matter who we sign, because the problems with the side are more down to coaching than they are players, imo.

Our inability to defend a set piece has been shocking all season, and if Ole and the coaches had an idea of how to fix it, it would be fixed. Going forward, Sancho would certainly help, but I can't imagine he would be the cure-all for in plodding nature up front either. Whatever people may think of the players, I don't think a team with Rashford, Pogba, Bruno, Greenwood and Cavani should be as utterly incapable of creating chances as we prove to be. Adding Sancho won't suddenly solve that.

There are too many issues that point to Ole and the coaches being the problem, rather than a player being missing from completing the picture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I know the manager topic is huge after the other night but United's transfer dealings this summer will be interesting regardless of manager.

I know a lot want a DM but I think it is less vital in terms of needing a resolution this summer.

Who is the keeper? Of DDG and Henderson one really has to go out.
    Will a CB be signed?
    What happens with Pogba who has a contract running down? If he was to go how do United replace him (Donny, move Bruno to a deeper role with a new forward replacing him in attack, a new midfield signing?)
    Will they sign the additional quality forward?

agreed. how the keeper situation plays out will be interesting. Henderson last summer probably draws in a 30-40mil bid? Does he get that in a depressed market? I couldnt point to many teams with that money who need a keeper. DDG would go for a minimal fee but wed likely have to subsidise his 375k wages to get any move over the line. Emotions aside from Weds given DDG glaring flaws with pens I cant say for certain right now there is one so much better than the other.

if it was me, I'd go with Henderson - and be looking to the future. While I don't think Ole is the man to bring trophies to United, by the time he is gone I don't think DDG would be the keeper we need either.

So I would go with Henderson.
    I'd look look at Torres over Varrane given Torres is 4 years younger. Varrane and Maguire are the same age, so you end up having to replace both at the same time.
    If Sancho is added up top then we have Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Amad as a very good set of younger players - Rashford has had a stinker of the season but there is a very talented player there.
    McTominay is a player I still really like, think he was the only bright spot on Wednesday. If we got a player like Rice, given talent and age profile that would set midfield up nicely.

for eg. Rice, Sancho and Torres (while not cheap!) would potentially set the team up as

Henderson
    AWB----Maguire----Torres---Shaw
    Rice
    McTominay
    Bruno
    --Sancho----Cavani---Rashford

Look at replacing Cavani with a younger striker next summer.

That is a talented looking side, with a good age profile.

As I say, I don't think Ole is the guy, I think next season will be wasted from a trophy point of view - but I do think Ole will potentially leave us in a better place squad and profile wise.

But in saying that, I do think at best we are looking at two from Sancho/Rice/Torres.

On Pogba, I can only see him going if there is a player at the prospective club that we are interested in and we sign and sell for similar fees.
    Eg. Pogba to Inter and Martinez to United, Pogba to Juve and De Ligt to United, Pogba to Madrid and Varane to United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I do think we will get a good signing or two - I would expect Sancho (as i did last summer) and at least 1 other top signing - Varane or Torres seem the likeliest, but I would really like a top DM, and think we will suffer more for not signing a top DM than a CB.

But, it doesn't really matter who we sign, because the problems with the side are more down to coaching than they are players, imo.

Our inability to defend a set piece has been shocking all season, and if Ole and the coaches had an idea of how to fix it, it would be fixed. Going forward, Sancho would certainly help, but I can't imagine he would be the cure-all for in plodding nature up front either. Whatever people may think of the players, I don't think a team with Rashford, Pogba, Bruno, Greenwood and Cavani should be as utterly incapable of creating chances as we prove to be. Adding Sancho won't suddenly solve that.

There are too many issues that point to Ole and the coaches being the problem, rather than a player being missing from completing the picture.

Are there any statistics that show how bad we are at defending set plays? It really does feel like we are awful at them. It's strange given we actually have quite a tall team.

I think United's creativity problems are linked to the deeper positions. Teams have to get the ball to their forward/attacking players in a situation that gives them an opportunity to work together and create.

United choose to build play from the back. Others sides are going with a high intensity press that creates transitions. It is not 100% clear if United's approach was based on the insane fixture list and more sensible or if that is the plan for good.

I assume that it is United plan to build play rather than the more aggressive high line. In this season United's build up play is often laboured, too many touches from an AWB or Pogba, no progressive passing and allowing the opponent to get set. Once the wide midfield players have time to get back to help fullbacks the chances of Rashford or Greenwood making progress are significantly reduced.

One of the best ways to stop United is using two players up front like Villareal did who will spend the first hour pressing the midfield players, who in turn will pass it sideways to a full back or back to a CB who are then further pressed by the front two. Sheffield Utd did the same at OT. The fact teams do this show that United do have players to be feared in attack.

It is one of the reasons I wonder about the DM, I think it is more the Thiago or Modric midfield player United need for how they approach the game. Someone who can move the ball around and not in a predicable way for the opponent. Put a McT beside one of those players and it is a completely different midfield. I don't think putting him beside a Rice does anything for building attacks.

Are there any statistics that show how bad we are at defending set plays? It really does feel like we are awful at them. It's strange given we actually have quite a tall team.

Can't remember them right off, but i remember hearing in a recent game that as a proportion of total goals conceded, United have the worst percentage of any side in the pl. ie. 30% plus of our goals conceded are set plays; higher than anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Pochettinos wife and son didn't move over to Paris and he commuted to Paris for work....this may well be a factor in him returning to Spurs.
    Of the other managers available none of them would have left their jobs without either having a new role lined up or feeling that they needed a break from the game. These guys are multi-millionaires and only work when they have to.
    Imo the Glazers are dead happy to keep the status quo going into next Season. Sadly the prizemoney for winning the Europa Cup was a pittance compared to Champions League Qualification earnings so they won't really care that we lost the final.
    Ole is safe in his job until this time next Season when he will be under pressure if he hasn't fullfilled the sole Glazer job requirement of making the Top 4 again.

It's a big 'if' but 'if' we are going into the new Season with a squad that has had more deadwood cleared out and some weak positions reinforced it will mean that at least if Ole makes a hames of next Season the new incoming manager will have a better squad to work with.

DM_7 wrote: »
    It is one of the reasons I wonder about the DM, I think it is more the Thiago or Modric midfield player United need for how they approach the game. Someone who can move the ball around and not in a predicable way for the opponent. Put a McT beside one of those players and it is a completely different midfield. I don't think putting him beside a Rice does anything for building attacks.

I was screaming for Thiago last summer, for this reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Look at the season Juventus have just had a drop to 4th place no Silverware won is Andrea Pirlo a decorated club legend of olde gonna get sacked? No he probably isn't but with another prolific club icon in Zidane who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Look at the season Juventus have just had a drop to 4th place no Silverware won is Andrea Pirlo a decorated club legend of olde gonna get sacked? No he probably isn't but with another prolific club icon in Zidane who knows.

He is getting sacked, and replaced with Allegri. Reported as pretty much done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

:pac:

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1398210942924738563?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ffs I need to read the football dirt sheets before posting :D:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Ffs I need to read the football dirt sheets before posting :D:D:D
    That plus they won the Coppa Italia last week. :)

That's the difference between us and successful clubs.

PSG reach a CL final last season, then sack their manager mid season.

Juve win a cup, still qualify for the CL and they sack their manager. None of this "building long term" nonsense.

If Juve were like us, they'd be like "we gotta get rid of the deadwood, sell Ronaldo and rebuild, back Pirlo in the transfer market for all his 1st choice" etc.

• Advertisement

That's the difference between us and successful clubs.

PSG reach a CL final last season, then sack their manager mid season.

Juve win a cup, still qualify for the CL and they sack their manager. None of this "building long term" nonsense.

If Juve were like us, they'd be like "we gotta get rid of the deadwood, sell Ronaldo and rebuild, back Pirlo in the transfer market for all his 1st choice" etc.
    While I'm not happy with Ole being coach, PSG and Juve are in no way comparable to Utd.

Juve had won the league 9 years in a row and then just scraped into 4th.

PSG, in a one team league, were struggling to make the CL places when Tuchel got sacked.

Ole has gone from 6th to 3rd to 2nd and finished in the CL places two seasons in a row, for the first time in 8 years, at a club that hasn't won the league in that time either. Utd are nowhere near the club they were a decade ago and while I'd prefer to see him replaced, there has been constant improvement under him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The derision that José coming 2nd was treated to and the praise Ole gets for it interests me considering José got 7 more points when he did it and without 130m of defensive reinforcement (aware he also got players but 30m on Bailly and Lindelof when City were paying double that for full backs was apples and oranges).

While I'm not happy with Ole being coach, PSG and Juve are in no way comparable to Utd.

Juve had won the league 9 years in a row and then just scraped into 4th.

PSG, in a one team league, were struggling to make the CL places when Tuchel got sacked.

Ole has gone from 6th to 3rd to 2nd and finished in the CL places two seasons in a row, for the first time in 8 years, at a club that hasn't won the league in that time either. Utd are nowhere near the club they were a decade ago and while I'd prefer to see him replaced, there has been constant improvement under him.

Where is the improvement? He took over a team that had finished 2nd. Jose had thrown in the towel which is why we were 6th, hence why Ole went on winning run immediately with no training or pre season.

Ole got the job based on that run. Everyone loved him, thought he was great.

Then we collapsed at the end of the season and suddenly it's the players that aren't good enough.

We barely score more goals, we concede more goals. Where is the progress? Finishing top 4 in consecutive years? It's snails pace.

Liam O wrote: »
    The derision that José coming 2nd was treated to and the praise Ole gets for it interests me considering José got 7 more points when he did it and without 130m of defensive reinforcement (aware he also got players but 30m on Bailly and Lindelof when City were paying double that for full backs was apples and oranges).

I just don't think this is true.

AFAIR most united fans were pleased with finishing second and felt the club was in a good place to push on and go for the title again, needing a few key signings which we didn't get.

Any derision Jose got, from my memory, was based on his asertion that second place with United was his greatest achievement - over winning the CL with Porto, or treble with Inter, for example.

I think the opinion of the second place finishes themselves under both is pretty similar. Good position but the club needs to bring in some key recruits to push on further.

I would also say i had more confidence in Jose bringing a title with some key signings than I do Ole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

If Ole wants to remain in the job long-term, then he needs to shake up his coaching staff. Get a bloody defensive coach in for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

If Ole wants to remain in the job long-term, then he needs to shake up his coaching staff. Get a bloody defensive coach in for a start.

Yeah, I'm willing to give Ole another year. I've never been his biggest fan, but for the most part the football has been more enjoyable than we've seen post Fergie. Team morale seems to be good and there have been some signs of improvement. But, there have been lingering issues that need to be addressed, and if we continue to make the same mistakes he should go...

-Game management (using subs, changing game plan etc.)
    -Sloppy defensive goals, particularly set pieces
    -Learning to rotate more efficiently.
    -Not showing up in big games when it counts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Julez wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm willing to give Ole another year. I've never been his biggest fan, but for the most part the football has been more enjoyable than we've seen post Fergie. Team morale seems to be good and there have been some signs of improvement. But, there have been lingering issues that need to be addressed, and if we continue to make the same mistakes he should go...

-Game management (using subs, changing game plan etc.)
    -Sloppy defensive goals, particularly set pieces
    -Learning to rotate more efficiently.
    -Not showing up in big games when it counts

All four being evident on Wednesday. I was thinking with 20 minutes to go that the inaction on the bench could cost him his job if United didn't win. If it's clear that mistakes haven't been learnt from early next season then he'll be circling the drain. I don't have much hope that that will happen given how often the same destructive patterns of starting slowly occurred during the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

You can get in a defensive coach but if the player isn’t good enough, then he will get exposed... simple as.

Wan Bissaka is improving year by year, I’m not worried about him. Lindelof gets found out in the crunch games because he isn’t a top CB.

Ole deserves another year, he’s made progress again this year. He deserves to be supported in the transfer window and get at least 2 first team players.. not squad players, first team players. He might not be the world class manager Fergie was, but he’s exactly what we need atm. Someone who is putting Manchester United first, which Jose didn’t do, which Conte or Zidane wouldn’t do.. he wants to see players develop and introduce youth into the first team.

Where is the improvement? He took over a team that had finished 2nd. Jose had thrown in the towel which is why we were 6th, hence why Ole went on winning run immediately with no training or pre season.

Ole got the job based on that run. Everyone loved him, thought he was great.

Then we collapsed at the end of the season and suddenly it's the players that aren't good enough.

We barely score more goals, we concede more goals. Where is the progress? Finishing top 4 in consecutive years? It's snails pace.
    Except that that wasn't what I was arguing. You compared Utd to PSG and Juve. Two serial league winning teams who've underperformed this season.

Utd have not underperformed compared to recent seasons, where we've struggled to reach the top 4. You say it's snails pace, but I think you're comparing apples with oranges. We're are nowhere near the level of Juve or PSG, or the level we were at a decade ago.

As I already said, I don't think Ole is the man for the job, but to deny there has been progress (however small it may be) is simply a denial of reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I like Ole and have been in both camps - Ole in and Ole out pretty much flip flopping whilst it sounds quite stupid.

Not sure anyone can deny there has been improvement in the side since he took over, we were a mess after Jose left although the season before we finished second. Jose didn't get his transfers rightly or wrongly and threw his toys out of the pram. We all spoke about the toxic atmosphere.

Ole has come in and steadied the ship no doubt, signings have been generally good albeit with a shít tonne of money spent, I'm not sure the finances involved can be attributed to Ole though, we're all aware of the shítshow above him. Overall, Fernandes has been an incredible signing, Cavani inspiring, Maguire solid, AWB debatable still, Telles decent given how Shaw has pushed on, the rest meh.

All things said, I think he has done a decent job to get United to where they are now but I think he has brought them as far as he can. At set pieces, we're a shambles, game management has been awful at times (EL Final, Fred red card v PSG stand out), difficulty in breaking down 'poorer' sides.

He has done enough to get this Summer and look to reinforce the side with his signings but it all boils down to whether he is the man to bring a PL title back to United. If he's not and we're nowhere near again this time next season, it's time to cut losses IMO. Otherwise we'll be firmly established as nearly rans if not already. Next year will be 9 years since a PL title.

Other bigger sides just wouldn't stand for it, 8 years since a genuine title shot and still hoping for Ole and the side to come good and losing to Villarreal was a real sickener, I don't care what anyone says, United are a better side with better players and they shouldn't have lost that game. I get the sentinmentality of wanting Ole to success and I'd love to see it. I just don't unfortunately.

• Advertisement

In terms of the impact and influence of the manager/coachs within a game te stats of the game the other night really reflect an ineffective and sterile performance. In line with the fearful 0-0 draw at home v Chelsea or 0-1 loss to Arsenal. This overly patient approach to games, waiting for something to happen, is too passive and easy to play against. The team just keep on doing the same thing over and over.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/match/2029909--villarreal-vs-man-united/statistics/?iv=true

Reflective how little pressure United put on in 120 minutes stats show they had two shots on target, only 3 corners, had more fouls and blocks than the opponent. In 120 minutes United were only fouled 10 times.

Lindelof made 125 pass attempts while Pogba, in comparison, only made 85 attempts.

Cavani received the ball 12 times in the whole game- just twice from Pogba, once from Greenwood and 0 times from Bruno and Rashford.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

DM_7 wrote: »
    I know the manager topic is huge after the other night but United's transfer dealings this summer will be interesting regardless of manager.

I know a lot want a DM but I think it is less vital in terms of needing a resolution this summer.

Who is the keeper? Of DDG and Henderson one really has to go out.
    Will a CB be signed?
    What happens with Pogba who has a contract running down? If he was to go how do United replace him (Donny, move Bruno to a deeper role with a new forward replacing him in attach, a new midfield signing?)
    Will they sign the additional quality forward?

i wouldnt move bruno any further back , he looses the ball too much in the final third as it is.

in fact , when was his last decent game, he spend more time whinging
    than anything the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Whilst Ole might improve the squad by adding better players, he doesn't seem to improve the players in the squad.
    People will claim certain young players have improved under him, but young players improve with maturity and experience anyway.
    I don't think he's improved any of the more experienced players.
    And Ole doesn't train the team anyway. It's his coaches. Who aren't progressing this group at all. From GK to CF. they've stalled.
    As much as we need new players, I hope to God he hires in new coaches this summer.
    Another season of Carrick, Phelan and Co. will be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭TRC10

Hard not to be envious of Liverpool getting their business done early like the well run club they are.

I'd be amazed if we get anything done before the Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Reports that we are in talks with Sancho's reps over a move. Be nice to get it done before Euro's but I expect it will drag out whilst we haggle on the price.

TRC10 wrote: »
    Hard not to be envious of Liverpool getting their business done early like the well run club they are.

I'd be amazed if we get anything done before the Euros.

indeed, we say the same every summer.

For penny pinching reasons the club doesn't care at all about starting a seasonwell. Perfectly happy to leave signings late so they have no pre-season and will struggle to adapt, so they can save 5m on a transfer fee, or miss out on the player completely.

I will never understand why the club seems to be so poor at forward planning. I'll never understand why deals aren't discussed, negotiated and ready to close within weeks of the season ending.

If Sancho was our number one target in Summer 19, and Summer 20, and Summer 21.... what possible reason is there to not have put a bid in for him today? What are the club going to learn in the next month? It is insanity.

There are people at the club whose job it is to put deals in place - players employ people to negotiate their deals.... none of these people are required on match days, or at training sessions, there is nothing stopping them from getting things sorted over the last month and be ready to go.

As you say, look at Liverpool. They identified they needed a CB, found the CB they wanted and will have him signed soon. United have identified they need a forward, have identified the forward (it seems) and will maybe consider weighing up the possibility of putting in a bid for him, probably in August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

Don't worry. We are preparing a bid. We also need to service the fax machine before any bid will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭TRC10

I'm already mentally prepared for another Lee Grant, Fred, Dalot transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

billyhead wrote: »
    Don't worry. We are preparing a bid. We also need to service the fax machine before any bid will happen.

No no, we are thinking about considering preparing a bid. Ed is being cute, wait til Sancho potentially rips up the Euros to get the price nice and high so he can say that BD wanted too much money and we end up signing Donny Mk II for £40.

tenor.gif

I dont care anyway. Its most likely going to be a summer of disappointment followed by a season of occasional dizzying highs, some crushing lows but in the main a massive plateau of meh as we duke it out for 4th spot.

• Advertisement

No no, we are thinking about considering preparing a bid. Ed is being cute, wait til Sancho potentially rips up the Euros to get the price nice and high so he can say that BD wanted too much money and we end up signing Donny Mk II for £40.

I dont care anyway. Its most likely going to be a summer of disappointment followed by a season of occasional dizzying highs, some crushing lows but in the main a massive plateau of meh as we duke it out for 4th spot.

I disagree with your meme, united are playing checkers, not chess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement