Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I disagree with your meme, united are playing checkers, not chess.

We are playing flippin Buckeroo at this stage!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

TRC10 wrote: »
    I'm already mentally prepared for another Lee Grant, Fred, Dalot transfer window

Well 35 year old Tom Heaton is allegedly coming back, so you wont be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭TRC10

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Well 35 year old Tom Heaton is allegedly coming back, so you wont be disappointed.

We're off to a flyer, we've got the "3rd choice goalkeeper in his mid 30s" tied down, we just need the "terrible centre midfielder who nobody has heard of and the manager didn't want, but who we just splashed £53m on because we heard Man City were interested" and the "semi promising right back"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

We're off to a flyer, we've got the "3rd choice goalkeeper in his mid 30s" tied down, we just need the "terrible centre midfielder who nobody has heard of and the manager didn't want, but who we just splashed £53m on because we heard Man City were interested" and the "semi promising right back"

Fred is quality.

Stick him in Liverpool or City team and he'd fit in perfectly.

Think Dalot will be a very good player too.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Fred is quality.

Stick him in Liverpool or City team and he'd fit in perfectly.

Think Dalot will be a very good player too.

He'd fit in perfectly on the bench behind better players like Rodri, Fernandinho, Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Thiago.

The guy has a good engine and can intercept passes. But he is an absolute travesty on the ball. He can't trap it, his passing is horrendous and we've conceded goals as a direct result of him giving the ball away on the edge of the box countless times this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Oh for the days when all we had to do was get Fergie to ring a player and BOOM, he signs for us (Dalglish still hasnt forgiven Fergie for pinching Roy Keane from under his nose!!! )

Oh for the days when all we had to do was get Fergie to ring a player and BOOM, he signs for us (Dalglish still hasnt forgiven Fergie for pinching Roy Keane from under his nose!!! )

Or just employ competent people to handle recruitment and negotiations, like most other "top clubs".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,371 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The issue isn't so much attracting players, from what we can tell.

Failure to sign sancho last summer was not because Sancho wasn't interested.

Arguably we did miss out on Bellingham and Haaland for that reason, but release clause and consideration for playing time played a factor in those as well.

The real issue with United is simply not bidding for players. We failed to sign sancho because we failed to agree a deal. We failed to sign Dias because we never went for him (so arguable whether that is a 'failure'). From what we can tell we didn't move for any striker at all last summer other than Cavani on the last days. We (seemingly) picked VDB over Grealish, linked to a belief we were going to get Sancho imo.

Or just employ competent people to handle recruitment and negotiations, like most other "top clubs".

We don't know if Murtough is competent or not - decent stories about him with regards to youth signings and his hands on approach with getting deals done and relationships created.

But the issue will remain Glazers/Woodward and sign off.

We don't know if Murtough is competent or not - decent stories about him with regards to youth signings and his hands on approach with getting deals done and relationships created.

But the issue will remain Glazers/Woodward and sign off.

That's true, Murtough is an unknown entity at this stage.

But the record of people employed by the Glazers doesn't fill me with optimism.

• Advertisement

Please god can we get the Neves for £35m deal done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Please god can we get the Neves for £35m deal done.

Transfer deadline day last minute resigning of Fellaini for old times sake seeing it's Woody's last window.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Anyone think potential signings will be put off with Ole being manager, bottling semis/finals or the serious lack of game time van de Beek got this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

xtal191 wrote: »
    Anyone think potential signings will be put off with Ole being manager, bottling semis/finals or the serious lack of game time van de Beek got this season?

Has to be a factor.

That and his inability to rotate his squad would be a big issue for any potential signings.

Glazers Out!

That logic is a bit backwards. We've lost semis and finals, therefore don't strengthen the squad. Seems a bit counterintuitive to me.

Van de Beek should probably have been used more, but in Ole's defence it's very obvious that he never wanted him, he was just kind of given him, sort of like Fred with Jose. He was crying out for the same positions last summer as he is this summer (RW, CDM, CB) and got none of them, yet still improved on our league position (I'm not excusing the cup exits, before you all jump on me).

Give him next season with the gapping holes in the squad filled, and if he doesn't win something or at least mount a serious title challenge I'm more than happy to part ways.

Would say VDB might be an issue. "bottling" semi finals, no, imo.

IMO we lost semi-finals, this narrative over being humiliated or bottling them is.... odd to me. Don't get me wrong, I am disappointed by the performance of the side on Wednesday, and i disagree with his management in it - but I don't think we are routinely bottling or being humiliated in those games.

Semi Final 1 - City are simply a much better side. they would be expected to beat us. Terible first half in the first leg vs City, but I dont think that was down to Ole 'bottling' it.

Semi Final 2 - De Gea cost us big time, and the switch to 3 at the back, which had worked previously vs Chelsea didn't work. Did Ole bottle it though?

Semi Final 3 - we had more than enough chances to bury Seville, and the strikers cost us.

Semi Final 4 - City are a much better side and they got the better of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He'd fit in perfectly on the bench behind better players like Rodri, Fernandinho, Henderson, Fabinho, Wijnaldum and Thiago.

The guy has a good engine and can intercept passes. But he is an absolute travesty on the ball. He can't trap it, his passing is horrendous and we've conceded goals as a direct result of him giving the ball away on the edge of the box countless times this season.

Indeed. Everybody know this:

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1318829374867529728

Very jealous if that Liverpool konute deal. No ****ing about for a summer just boom done excelent player in the door. I hope we get some of that with the new staff running transfers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Very jealous if that Liverpool konute deal. No ****ing about for a summer just boom done excelent player in the door. I hope we get some of that with the new staff running transfers

We'll dither about all summer long trying to save 5m for Sancho who goes on to have a blinder at the Euros and moves to Real. Then Ed will go after Kane but we end up with Danny Ings and some unknown kid from Peru on deadline day. Hope ye all enjoy your summer, lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

Liverpool, Chelsea and City always have the groundwork done on transfers well in advance of the window opening so it's only a matter of crossing the TS and dotting the Is. Whereas we would be dithering with our plans. What's the point in appointing Murtagh if it's the same **** this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Sure a reintegrated Tony Martial and Jessie Lingard will be 'like new signings' after a summer watching the Euros at home..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭billyhead

The Summer transfer plan will be Garner for the DM role, Lingard for RW, Dalot for RB and Shane Duffy on a free for CB.

FatherTed wrote: »

This why it drives me crazy when I hear pundits on Sky saying "Man Utd need Kane" or "Man Utd need Haaland"...

when Fred is a 1st team player for us We need a ****ing holding midfielder!!!. Neves is available for £35m and we're talking about paying £90m for Rice or £100m on Kane and Haaland.

Guarantee Liverpool get Neves snapped up in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Irritating to see teams having players and deals lined up alright, and just pulling the trigger. Not too pushed on the player himself though. He's alright like but not exactly a mainstay in a Leipzig team. Good depth to add for them that they should have added last year is all really.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

luketitz wrote: »
    Sure a reintegrated Tony Martial and Jessie Lingard will be 'like new signings' after a summer watching the Euros at home..

Don't forget Phil Jones!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If we signed Wijnaldum when Liverpool did he'd be long since sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

There is serious scope to reshape the squad into genuine contenders if there is any ambition there.

Letting De Gea, Lingard & Dalot go would bring in some extra funds. It's not unrealistic as you'd think that Roma, West Ham & Milan would surely be interested in them. I like Dalot and he's a good age, but if selling him is the difference between filling essential gaps in the squad, then so be it.

Mata will surely go and free up some space on the wage bill. A center back will need to go if we are signing one, ideally Bailly (made of glass) or Lindelof (find as a squad player but easily bullied). Signing Heaton surely means that De Gea is going. I can't imagine Henderson would be allowed to leave at his age.

Sancho, Bissouma & Fofana would hugely improve the starting 11 & squad. Rice would be another good option. Possibily Kounde or Romero as cheaper CB options too.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    If we signed Wijnaldum when Liverpool did he'd be long since sold.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Always hard to buy players the summer when an international tournament on. So not this year or next year with the world cup. Roll on summer transfer window 2023 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Always hard to buy players the summer when an international tournament on. So not this year or next year with the world cup. Roll on summer transfer window 2023 :)

I thought it was Fergie that always said he never bought players during or after international tournaments. Cost too much. Buy before only to get value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

Damien360 wrote: »
    I thought it was Fergie that always said he never bought players during or after international tournaments. Cost too much. Buy before only to get value.

Poborsky and Jordi though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This why it drives me crazy when I hear pundits on Sky saying "Man Utd need Kane" or "Man Utd need Haaland"...

when Fred is a 1st team player for us We need a ****ing holding midfielder!!!. Neves is available for £35m and we're talking about paying £90m for Rice or £100m on Kane and Haaland.

Ah well sure if he's available for 35m he'll be signed by someone no doubt. If it's Liverpool I'm sure they'll win everything next season.

Fred plays from the start the other day and United win. That Deeney video above you could transfer Pogba's name in and it would make more sense. Fred has played a lot of minutes the last 2 seasons and people forget that. He's been very good at times throughout the last couple of seasons and when him and McT are on form they have show they're a match for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,652 ✭✭✭✭Sand

FatherTed wrote: »

Fairly grim but true. I saw similar tactical analysis of McTominay where the opposition were clearly standing off him, letting him have the ball and doubling up on more dangerous players. A fair number of United fans have been trying to kid themselves that Fred and McTominay are top players because they run around and try hard. McFred is a midtable midfield. The club needs a significant upgrade in that position.

Liam O wrote: »
    Ah well sure if he's available for 35m he'll be signed by someone no doubt. If it's Liverpool I'm sure they'll win everything next season.

Fred plays from the start the other day and United win. That Deeney video above you could transfer Pogba's name in and it would make more sense. Fred has played a lot of minutes the last 2 seasons and people forget that. He's been very good at times throughout the last couple of seasons and when him and McT are on form they have show they're a match for anyone.

I haven't forgotten at all. It's hard to forget that you have a player that poor playing in the most important position on the pitch every week for Manchester United.

The fact that he's played a lot of minutes doesn't mean he's good, he's not. It just further illustrates how badly we need a holding midfielder. Phil Jones played in midfield a bit under Fergie and he was literally better than Fred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Liverpool won't sign Neves - there was an opportunity to do so a few years ago and the club turned it down because it would have jeopardized TAA's path to the first team.

Afterwards TAA was introduced at right back instead of midfield and he has made the position his own. Fabinho was signed for the midfield role.

Neves isn't athletic enough to fit the current Liverpool midfield and he isn't going to displace Fabinho, Henderson and Thiago in the starting lineup.

Having said that he could definitely do a job in the Man Utd midfield.

• Advertisement

Not to mention that other superstar Keita....though they do presumably need to replace the guy they are losing for nothing to Barcelona? I wonder would neves be good enough to maybe make the bench sometimes for them? I mean thiago isn't the most athletic but they do let him make the squad.

Either way, for United if neves is available for 35million that's a no brainer and I'd hope Bruno is leading the lobbying to bring his compatriot in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

What needs to happen this Summer….

Sell one of our keepers.

Buy a starting CB to replace Lindelof. Possibly sell one of Lindelof, Bailly, or Tuanzebe.

Put Williams on loan and bring back Laird to cover for AWB.

Sell Lingard, Mata, Matic and try sort the Pogba contract problem one way or another. Ideally sell him if he’s not serious about renewing his contract.

Buy a DM. Seriously just buy a fookin DM.

Buy a RW’r (Sancho) and decide where Martials head is at. He hasn’t dealt with competition for his position well. Sell him if that’s the right thing to do.

Finally…. Bring Elanga and Mejbri properly into the first team squad. Along with Amad they need games next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Would people like see Garner push into first team or another year in loan?

I'm torn between the 2 at minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,929 ✭✭✭KH25

Not to mention that other superstar Keita....though they do presumably need to replace the guy they are losing for nothing to Barcelona? I wonder would neves be good enough to maybe make the bench sometimes for them? I mean thiago isn't the most athletic but they do let him make the squad.

Either way, for United if neves is available for 35million that's a no brainer and I'd hope Bruno is leading the lobbying to bring his compatriot in.

Have we been linked to Neves? I haven’t seen anything on that.

PL loan for if it can be arranged. Would bring him on a test against the best. Another year in the championship would’ve worth f all at this stage of his development

• Advertisement

KH25 wrote: »
    Have we been linked to Neves? I haven’t seen anything on that.

No clue tbh I don't really follow the transfer speculation closely it's 99% bull**** like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,869 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Fernandes wins the second, and can see the ref taken aback by his decision to put VR in first.

https://twitter.com/JamesJohn2427/status/1397786710566711296

They were talking about this on Second Captains, couldn't come up with any reason why a team would choose to go second. Not something I had given any thought to previously; is it standard practice for the team that wins the toss to go first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Too soon for him, he'd end up getting no game time. Needs to go out on loan to a Premier League team next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The thing about Neves is that he would fit into the team beside either Fred and McT as another 2 way player and be a big upgrade on Fred around the box. Think Fred is a better defender though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Honestly I’d try buy Neves and Bissouma for a combined £80 million funded mostly by the sale of Pogba, Lingard, and Matic.

I’d snap your hand off right now for that deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

They were talking about this on Second Captains, couldn't come up with any reason why a team would choose to go second. Not something I had given any thought to previously; is it standard practice for the team that wins the toss to go first?

This is covered in the book Beautiful Game Theory. They studied 1001 penalty shootouts between 1970-2013, and found that the team who goes first wins 60% of the time.

They had less data for picking which order to go in as that isn't usually documented, but from 2003-2013 the only 2 times they could find a player choosing to go second were in the Spain v Italy games in 08 and 13. Buffon won the coin toss in 08, and Casillas in 13 (Spain won both). Possibly both Captains being keepers influenced their decisions.

The author of the book did analysis for Chelsea before the 08 CL final, which Anelka ignored.

Think he's better served on loan, don't think there's a hope in hell Ole will give him enough minutes to justify keeping him around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

GSPfan wrote: »
    What needs to happen this Summer….

Sell one of our keepers.

Buy a starting CB to replace Lindelof. Possibly sell one of Lindelof, Bailly, or Tuanzebe.

Put Williams on loan and bring back Laird to cover for AWB.

Sell Lingard, Mata, Matic and try sort the Pogba contract problem one way or another. Ideally sell him if he’s not serious about renewing his contract.

Buy a DM. Seriously just buy a fookin DM.

Buy a RW’r (Sancho) and decide where Martials head is at. He hasn’t dealt with competition for his position well. Sell him if that’s the right thing to do.

Finally…. Bring Elanga and Mejbri properly into the first team squad. Along with Amad they need games next year.
    I don't get the obsession with Sancho - he is not the final missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle yet he will command a price that suggests he is and to the detriment of other areas of the team that need strengthening.

This summer Premier League teams have a strong financial advantage over the teams in the other top European leagues because of the lucrative TV contracts. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan and Juventus are all in financial trouble and they are not the only clubs that are cash strapped having been starved of match day revenue for so long.

Lyon wanted over £50M for Aouar last summer, last week L'Equipe reported he's available for £25M.

Schalke wanted €45M for Ozan Kabak in September 2020, in January he joined Liverpool on loan with an option to buy for €18M.

Juventus are signing Weston McKennie from Schalke for €21M - that's an absolute bargain. Their option to buy was for €25M but Schalke waived €4M of it to ensure the deal was done. €4M was the fee Juventus had already paid to take the player on loan last season.

Inter Milan are reported to have to make a profit of €80M in transfers this summer, that's the reason Conte walked from the club.

AC Milan can't afford to give Hakan Calhanoglu a €70k a week contract so he's leaving when his contract expires next month. Donnarumma is also leaving on a free transfer.

If Man Utd want to offload Dalot to AC Milan then those at the club should be smart about it - make an offer for a player like Franck Kessie and offer Dalot in part exchange with an option to buy the player back. Last summer Milan completed the signing of Simon Kjaer from Sevilla and Suso went in the opposite direction. Due to their financial constraints the club was forced to horse trade players and this summer is no different.

Matheus Pereira (11 goals, 6 assists) at relegated West Brom - he's the kind of player I would expect the likes of Liverpool to move for and is the type of player Man Utd are missing for the wide attacker positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Talisman wrote: »
    I don't get the obsession with Sancho - he is not the final missing piece of the jigsaw puzzle yet he will command a price that suggests he is and to the detriment of other areas of the team that need strengthening.

This summer Premier League teams have a strong financial advantage over the teams in the other top European leagues because of the lucrative TV contracts. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan and Juventus are all in financial trouble and they are not the only clubs that are cash strapped having been starved of match day revenue for so long.

Lyon wanted over £50M for Aouar last summer, last week L'Equipe reported he's available for £25M.

Schalke wanted €45M for Ozan Kabak in September 2020, in January he joined Liverpool on loan with an option to buy for €18M.

Juventus are signing Weston McKennie from Schalke for €21M - that's an absolute bargain. Their option to buy was for €25M but Schalke waived €4M of it to ensure the deal was done. €4M was the fee Juventus had already paid to take the player on loan last season.

Inter Milan are reported to have to make a profit of €80M in transfers this summer, that's the reason Conte walked from the club.

AC Milan can't afford to give Hakan Calhanoglu a €70k a week contract so he's leaving when his contract expires next month. Donnarumma is also leaving on a free transfer.

If Man Utd want to offload Dalot to AC Milan then those at the club should be smart about it - make an offer for a player like Franck Kessie and offer Dalot in part exchange with an option to buy the player back. Last summer Milan completed the signing of Simon Kjaer from Sevilla and Suso went in the opposite direction. Due to their financial constraints the club was forced to horse trade players and this summer is no different.

Matheus Pereira (11 goals, 6 assists) at relegated West Brom - he's the kind of player I would expect the likes of Liverpool to move for and is the type of player Man Utd are missing for the wide attacker positions.

I mentioned Pereira a couple of weeks back as a possible target that could be got relatively cheaply.....WBA would be delighted to get 15m and you could even look to do a swop deal with likes of Dan James going the other way.
    Buendia at Norwich would add well to midfield options as well without costing a fortune.
    One of the problems this season was that likes of Bruno and Maguire were played in games when they needed a rest.Rashford wasn’t properly fit all Season and it showed in his poor performance v Villarreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

PL loan for if it can be arranged. Would bring him on a test against the best. Another year in the championship would’ve worth f all at this stage of his development

Personally I'd disagree, he's an accomplished player and when trusted was fantastic with Forest at times. That said, id like to see him get game time again and high performaning championship side with guaranteed game time would develop him better than a relegation dog fight with a potential managerial change mid season.

I like Garner a lot, think he's huge potential but he's not going to get much game time at Utd this year so another loan for me

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement