Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

TRC10 wrote: »
    Football existed before 1992 in case you didn't know.

Manchester United is about sacrifice (Munich), hard work (rebuilding 1958-1968) and bringing through youth (busby babes, class of 92).

Some fans need to accept that Man Utd are in a rebuild and this is going to take time. And were not going to win much with the Glazers around anyway.

You're incredibly naive if you thin we can just adopt the Chelsea model and start winning overnight.

We are rebuilding with playdoh and everyone else is using concrete blocks, if yer happy to accept that then bully for you hoss. I and others aren't. We are the biggest club in the PL by a good stretch and in the top clubs 5 in the world, to see us being run by the Chuckle Brothers and their ilk with Mr Bean managing things is something that should not be accepted and it is slowly but surely undoing everything the GOAT did for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I'd take le classy club over billionare <mod snip> play thing any day

We've literally spent more money than Chelsea in the last 8 years...what does money laundering have anything to do with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Maguire> Silva

Maybe on age and unicorn water rings...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭TRC10

We are rebuilding with playdoh and everyone else is using concrete blocks, if yer happy to accept that then bully for you hoss. I and others aren't. We are the biggest club in the PL by a good stretch and in the top clubs 5 in the world, to see us being run by the Chuckle Brothers and their ilk with Mr Bean managing things is something that should not be accepted and it is slowly but surely undoing everything the GOAT did for the club.

I don't want the glazers around either. But until they're gone nothing is happening unless we get Fergie 2.0.

People who think we can just appoint a good manager and start winning are naive.

We're just a nostalgia merchant club.

Hiring Fletcher.

Hiring Carrick and Phelan.

Hiring Ole.

We spent a disproportionate amount of time pre Europa League final talking about 99 and how it's Busby's birthday etc.

Giving youth players gametime and big contracts just because "its what we're about"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Managerially though, fcuking light years ahead.

Chelsea won the champions league with Bobby Di Matteo, they nearly won the league and CL double with Avram Grant. Barca win leagues with Nobody managers. In fact Pep and zidane were nobody managers before managing Madrid and Barca. United owners couldn’t even guarantee a top 4 spot every season. I think a lot of you underestimate how much a well run club (or a club that knows how to win) makes such a difference to a teams/managers chances.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    We're just a nostalgia merchant club.

Hiring Fletcher.

Hiring Carrick and Phelan.

Hiring Ole.

We spent a disproportionate amount of time pre Europa League final talking about 99 and how it's Busby's birthday etc.

Giving youth players gametime and big contracts just because "its what we're about"

I agree with you. But it all goes back to the Glazers. Sacking managers isn't going to do anything.

Why would I compare benches when I am responding to a comment saying Chelsea's first 11 is better than ours..

Comment said first 11 and squad

Drumpot wrote: »
    Chelsea won the champions league with Bobby Di Matteo, they nearly won the league and CL double with Avram Grant. Barca win leagues with Nobody managers. In fact Pep and zidane were nobody managers before managing Madrid and Barca. United owners couldn’t even guarantee a top 4 spot every season. I think a lot of you underestimate how much a well run club (or a club that knows how to win) makes such a difference to a teams/managers chances.

Didn't do anything for Lampard though did it?

Zidane and Pep were nobody managers because their clubs were literally their first coaching jobs....

Real sacked Benitez after 3 months and replaced him with Zidane who then went on and won 4 champions league in 5 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,463 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I agree with you. But it all goes back to the Glazers. Sacking managers isn't going to do anything.

We won't be seeing a United side lift that cup again as long as the Glazers are in charge.

Since we beat Chelsea in 2008 they've won it twice and are one off our record.

With Ole in charge we'll do well to drop into the Europa league again at Christmas.

The solutions are clear for all to see but there's no willingness at the club to make the required changes.

Dark days for United and there's no end in sight.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

nullzero wrote: »
    We won't be seeing a United side lift that cup again as long as the Glazers are in charge.

Since we beat Chelsea in 2008 they've won it twice and are one off our record.

With Ole in charge we'll do well to drop into the Europa league again at Christmas.

The solutions are clear for all to see but there's no willingness at the club to make the required changes.

Dark days for United and there's no end in sight.

I've said it once and I'll say it again.

Top 4 and the odd cup is the best we're getting under the Glazers.

Didn't do anything for Lampard though did it?

Zidane and Pep were nobody managers because their clubs were literally their first coaching jobs....

Real sacked Benitez after 3 months and replaced him with Zidane who then went on and won 4 champions league in 5 years!

I’m not sure how any of that addresses my point. You keep bringing everything back to sacking Ole, did you ever think that top managers don’t want the United job? They aren’t stupid , they can see what the United job has done for other mangers careers. They can see Uniteds squad , they can see how bad United are at transfers and squad management.

Other clubs create winning squads and winning cultures that are complemented by winning managers (or other clubs can make managers successful). United haven’t done that since 2013, other then wasting vast amounts of money that can’t even guarantee top 4 in England , I’m not sure what would draw a top manager. Conte would know being United manager could work out the same as it did with Jose , with him leaving with his reputation in tatters. Uniteds not the draw some of you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

How is their starting 11 ahead of ours?

Mendy < De Gea/Henderson

James = AWB

Silva < Maguire

Lindelof = Rudiger (Rudiger was on the verge of being sold to Roma less than a year ago)

Chilwell < Shaw

Kante > Fred

Jorginho = McTominay

Mount > Rashford

Ziyech > Greenwood

Havertz < Bruno

Werner < Cavani

Don’t know what crack you are smoking that you think AWB is as good as Reece James.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Especially when there’s fans who, when making a list of what the club is about historically, don’t even put “winning” in their top three priorities...

Somewhere, Roy Keane is shivering with rage and isn’t sure why. :pac:

Ye just change yer tune when it suits anyways.

When we spend a billion on transfer fees and fail you say it's Woodwards fault.

If we didn't give the managers the player he wanted ye'd be saying they're not backing the manager!

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Especially when there’s fans who, when making a list of what the club is about historically, don’t even put “winning” in their top three priorities...

Somewhere, Roy Keane is shivering with rage and isn’t sure why. :pac:

Manchester United is about more than winning.

I want us to win. I just don't want us to abandon the club's ethos to do it.

But this is all irrelevant while the Glazers are in charge, until they're gone nothing is changing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

So because we have less than desirable owners we should keep a very obviously out of his depth manager in charge, is that what you are saying?

We shouldn't try and change the things that actually can be fcuking changed??

I’m not sure how any of that addresses my point. You keep bringing everything back to sacking Ole, did you ever think that top managers don’t want the United job? They aren’t stupid , they can see what the United job has done for other mangers careers. They can see Uniteds squad , they can see how bad United are at transfers and squad management.

Other clubs create winning squads and winning cultures that are complemented by winning managers (or other clubs can make managers successful). United haven’t done that since 2013, other then wasting vast amounts of money that can’t even guarantee top 4 in England , I’m not sure what would draw a top manager. Conte would know being United manager could work out the same as it did with Jose , with him leaving with his reputation in tatters. Uniteds not the draw some of you think.

Hits the nail on the head this.

Unfortunately though, it's a lot easier to just say "sack the manager and all will be solved"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭bassy

united were never much good in europe as the record just backs up my statement,a big club with poor european success returns.
    cup winners cup,europa lge,3champs lges terrible record for such a club.

• Advertisement

Ye just change yer tune when it suits anyways.

When we spend a billion on transfer fees and fail you say it's Woodwards fault.

If we didn't give the managers the player he wanted ye'd be saying they're not backing the manager!

I’ve not changed any tune since the glazers took over.

United spend a lot of money and fail miserably, you don’t think the way the club is run might be a problem? That the people who are probably going to give Ole a contract extension are not the main problem? It’s Ole or Jose or LVG or Moyes? That’s the problem?

Other clubs create winning squads and winning cultures that are complemented by winning managers. United haven’t done that since 2013, other then wasting vast amounts of money that can’t even guarantee top 4 in England , I’m not sure what would draw a top manager. Conte would know being United manager could work out the same as it did with Jose , with him leaving with his reputation in tatters. Uniteds not the draw some of you think.

What has the Utd job done for other managers?

Moyes - went to Spain, failed and not surprising. Tough not speaking the language. Joined a sinking ship in Sunderland. Doing wonders with West Ham.

Louis van Gaal - retired after us

Jose - Joined Spurs, could have got the Arsenal job had he waited. Could have had the Inter job this summer had he waited.

Do you think we break managers or something? How could we ever do that???

No top managers want us anymore? You think we sack Ole tomorrow and we don't have any candidates? We could have had Poch, Tuchel, Allegri for example.

I’ve not changed any tune since the glazers took over.

United spend a lot of money and fail miserably, you don’t think the way the club is run might be a problem? That the people who are probably going to give Ole a contract extension are not the main problem? It’s Ole or Jose or LVG or Moyes? That’s the problem?

We essentially had two failed managers considering Moyes was following Fergie and should never have got the job.

2 managers failing is a tiny sample size. Neither manager modern and got limited results...still won trophies however.

So because we have less than desirable owners we should keep a very obviously out of his depth manager in charge, is that what you are saying?

We shouldn't try and change the things that actually can be fcuking changed??

You're missing the point. Ole is doing what the Glazers want.

If the Glazers change their priorities tomorrow and say "ok we want to win trophies now" then it would be different.

The Glazers have no interest in winning leagues unfortunately. And until they **** off this is how it is.

It pains me just as much as it pains you, believe me.

What has the Utd job done for other managers?

Moyes - went to Spain, failed and not surprising. Tough not speaking the language. Joined a sinking ship in Sunderland. Doing wonders with West Ham.

Louis van Gaal - retired after us

Jose - Joined Spurs, could have got the Arsenal job had he waited. Could have had the Inter job this summer had he waited.

Do you think we break managers or something? How could we ever do that???

No top managers want us anymore? You think we sack Ole tomorrow and we don't have any candidates? We could have had Poch, Tuchel, Allegri for example.

Yeh, It’s just a coincidence that when managers leave United , their careers end of nosedive for years! :pac:

Yeh, It’s just a coincidence that when managers leave United , their careers end of nosedive for years! :pac:

Di matteo

Grant

Hiddink

Villas Boas

Scolari

Ancelotti

Benitez

have all gone on to great things haven't they? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

How is their starting 11 ahead of ours?

Mendy < De Gea/Henderson

James = AWB

Silva < Maguire

Lindelof = Rudiger (Rudiger was on the verge of being sold to Roma less than a year ago)

Chilwell < Shaw

Kante > Fred

Jorginho = McTominay

Mount > Rashford

Ziyech > Greenwood

Havertz < Bruno

Werner < Cavani

I don't like comparing player for player as one player can look great in one team and terrible in the next.

But for what its worth.

Chelsea's line up tonight vs ours against Villarreal.

Mendy > DDG
    James > AWB
    Azpilicueta > Lindelof
    Thiago Silva > Bailly
    Rudiger > Lindelof/Bailly
    Chilwell < Shaw
    Jorginho > McT
    Kante > Pogba
    Mount < Bruno
    Werner > Greenwood
    Havertz < Rashford

If Maguire wasn't injured, I'd still say Thiago Silva is better, he's probably on the same level as Azpiliceuta and Rudiger tho.

But it just feels silly comparing player for player, Kante and Pogba are completely different, so are Jorginho and Pogba.

Their options off the bench tonight included Christensen who slotted in for Silva comfortably. Kovacic can come on and keep the ball while driving at the opposition if necessary. Pulisic to run in behind. They also had Ziyech, Giroud, Hudson-Odoi, and Abraham as attacking options who were unused. Ziyech or Hudson-Odoi would likely start RW for us.

In comparison, we'd likely have a Bailly, Matic and James to bring on if our manager wasn't allergic to subs.

On natural talent, I'm not sure they have a player who's uncomfortable with the ball at their feet. They're all very technically good players. Kovacic comes off the bench and the ball is glued to him. Fred came off the bench for us and passed the ball out of play almost immediately. Chelsea tonight looked like they had so much time on the ball. Nobody panicked in possession. You see us panic alot. I think thats a coaching issue but also a technical ability issue.

Chelsea have a team that are equipped to play pretty much any style of football Tuchel chooses, they're great defensively, they can hit you on the counter attack or they can hold possession and break down a low block. I don't feel our current squad or manager are capable of that so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Does anyone really believe that Conte, Allegri or Zidane would join us with the Glaziers in charge....no chance...they know they wont get the monies to buy players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I don't want the glazers around either. But until they're gone nothing is happening unless we get Fergie 2.0.

People who think we can just appoint a good manager and start winning are naive.

I don’t disagree with any of your points but a better manager would make United better, I’m certain of it.

Tuchel didn’t need time, inherited a good squad underperforming and turned them into European champions in a couple of months. Yet the same thing is said for Ole even after another trophyless campaign.

United didn’t punch above their weight to get to the EL final and still couldn’t win it. The squad is there, they deserve to be top 4 comfortably IMO. Someone else would push them on and who knows where United could be.

The Glazers have no interest in winning leagues unfortunately. And until they **** off this is how it is.
    They are Americans who own a franchise over there in a sport the rest of the world ridicules were you are rewarded for participating with huge TV money which goes to the owners with a draft system and salary cap which makes them **** loads of money with minimal investment.

The concept of investment to actually challenge isn't something they comprehend, winning isn't an issue in their sports. Income is all that matters to them.

Robson99 wrote: »
    Does anyone really believe that Conte, Allegri or Zidane would join us with the Glaziers in charge....no chance...they know they wont get the monies to buy players

Allegri pretty much was openly campaigning to join us when Ole was hanging by a thread. Zidane seems to have a massive adoration of Pogba. Poch was openly campaigning too, and I think Tuchel would have happily joined us,

United fans are a weird bunch. For all the troubles we have, we’d still attract top managers easily. For all we complain about under investment, we splash out decent chunks of change.

It’s like some United fans dramatically want to downplay the level of the club. It’s an inferiority complex, born from an admittedly bad decade. But there’s be no shortage of managers lining up if we sacked Ole tomorrow, and it would not be difficult to upgrade him at all. I’m not even Ole Out at the moment, but this attempt to paint us as some diseased leapers is kind of sad...

• Advertisement

Investment is great when its used in any sort of half decent way, millions upon millions spent on poor squad players. We are still starting games with squad players, we don't have a first eleven for at least 10 years now to remotely challenge for the top trophies.
    We are a top 4 or 5 team with a mid table midfield pairing with owners who are delighted with a hoarding sponsor by a noodle company.
    Until this changes from the top down,we are at our level. Yes Ole shouldn't have the job, but if Jose who was elite level found out what their idea of success was then we should accept the future is bleak.
    Unless they invest properly, with a goal of actually competing.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

I certainly don't believe Ole is the man to take UTD forward, never was. Until he resigns/gets sacked we're not going to be challenging for the title. A better manager would have had us a lot closer this year and would have won the Europa League or progressed a lot further in the champions league. Anyone thinks differently is wearing rose tinted glasses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Not a great season for the City of Manchester in european finals.

Progressed further with Maguire and AWB in defence or McFred in midfield ? We overachieved in the league and should have gotten out of the CL group after the first two games for sure. The squad achieved top 4 which is the current ceiling of their capabilities, anything better than that would need proper investment and planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Tuchel will be gone in 18 months.

Manchester United aren't Chelsea. And we aren't going to become Chelsea. And I don't want us to become Chelsea.

€50 charity bet Thuchel is still in charge at the start of 2023 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

People who think we shouldn't strive for the best players, managers, coaches, physios ,scouts and groundsmen we can get because our owners arnt the best are naive.

beno619 wrote: »
    People who think we shouldn't strive for the best players, managers, coaches, physios ,scouts and groundsmen we can get because our owners arnt the best are naive.

It’s a weird logic.

The owners have no ambition.
    Ergo, the fans shouldn’t show ambition either.
    (Which, in turn, justifies the owners showing no ambition).

Screw that. Fans should be demanding ambition, especially since it’s likely the Glazers will go nowhere. A decade on, and some fans are happier shrugging their shoulders and waiting for the unicorn, rather than demanding the Glazers actually step up and show ambition the club deserves.

The whole “we shouldn’t expect anything” logic is so self-defeatist, and self-fulfilling. Of your attitude is to say “what’s the point, why bother, nothing will change”, then you are a part of the problem too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The fact Ole came out and said after the EL final that we need a couple of players is surely a signal that they are going to make some decent signings. I don’t think he would say that unless there was some activity happening.

I expect there to be quite a few moves with several of De Gea, Romero, Dalot, Mata, Lingard, Pereira, Martial etc moving on. We have quite a few young players in the squad so definitely need a few more established guys that can be relied upon.

Of the signings made over the last two years most of them have been decent with Cavani on a free being the pick of the bunch IMO for his class and work rate. Bruno had a great run in the early part of the season but he seemed to run out of steam towards the end. He needs to get back to playing the game and not be loooig for frees. Maguire is slow but brings a lot of confidence to the defence.

VDB is the obvious question mark but he hasn’t been given a proper chance. Ole needs to have more faith in his squad rather than relying on a core group of players. Ole should stay though. He has made progress and deserves another year or two to develop the squad further and see where it takes us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Except for city it will justify splashing out on a few more attacking players and striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Is Ed Woodward gone at the end of this season or is it at some yet to be determined date? It could have an impact on the transfer dealings of the club.

• Advertisement

Allegri pretty much was openly campaigning to join us when Ole was hanging by a thread. Zidane seems to have a massive adoration of Pogba. Poch was openly campaigning too, and I think Tuchel would have happily joined us,

United fans are a weird bunch. For all the troubles we have, we’d still attract top managers easily. For all we complain about under investment, we splash out decent chunks of change.

It’s like some United fans dramatically want to downplay the level of the club. It’s an inferiority complex, born from an admittedly bad decade. But there’s be no shortage of managers lining up if we sacked Ole tomorrow, and it would not be difficult to upgrade him at all. I’m not even Ole Out at the moment, but this attempt to paint us as some diseased leapers is kind of sad...

So all these great managers want to join but haven’t, why is that? Oh it’s because the owners don’t want them. Why is that? It doesn’t matter what you or I think, all that matters is what the owners think, that’s the point. I guess we will just have to take your word on it since none of these managers have joined or will be joining anytime soon.

Other clubs hire good managers, support them in multiples ways, not just with signings , contract extensions and coaches but with the right infrastructure aswell, training pitches and decent stadiums.

People keep pointing out how much has been spent, the fact that they’ve gotten such a shocking return for the spending tells its own story. If spending money was all that mattered, United would be up there with Chelsea and city and the other top European clubs.

Look at some of you reverting back to type, acting as if a better manger will make a whole lot of difference. Every season since SAF retired I’ve read people in here talk about how much better the squad is then it was showing. It’s remarkable that you all forget , put on rose tinted glasses about previous managers and convince yourself that a better manager will guarantee better cause the squad any United managed has at any one time is always better then its showing. That happens at well run clubs.

I don’t think it’s people who are sort of resigned to disappointment under the glazers who are the deluded ones. I’m not defending Ole either, some you take a very simple approach to this, manager in or out. I think the club is so broken that maybe an unconventional manager/approach may be the only thing that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Talisman wrote: »
    Is Ed Woodward gone at the end of this season or is it at some yet to be determined date? It could have an impact on the transfer dealings of the club.

End of the calendar year.

It’s a weird logic.

The owners have no ambition.
    Ergo, the fans shouldn’t show ambition either.
    (Which, in turn, justifies the owners showing no ambition).

Screw that. Fans should be demanding ambition, especially since it’s likely the Glazers will go nowhere. A decade on, and some fans are happier shrugging their shoulders and waiting for the unicorn, rather than demanding the Glazers actually step up and show ambition the club deserves.

The whole “we shouldn’t expect anything” logic is so self-defeatist, and self-fulfilling. Of your attitude is to say “what’s the point, why bother, nothing will change”, then you are a part of the problem too!

It’s being realistic Lord. You think an ambitious manger will want to manage a club that has owners who’s ambition is just to squeeze into the top 4? Who have shown that they turn the tap of support off once top 4 is net? Transfer spending only proves how bad they are at acquiring players. The stadium is falling apart. The training facilities are sh*te for a super club. And the fans expect league and champions league challenges.

Ah yeh, it’s far better for fans to stay angry, complain away online about the manager and expect leagues and champions leagues from a club whose own owners don’t give a flying f**k if they never win a thing again.

I think acting like United is a normally run club is delusional. All the owners have to do is fix how they are running it, not even spend more, and they won’t even do that... I won’t complain if they replace Ole, but I don’t see the logic in being angry with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,286 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

coming up on 10 years without the league. give ole another 5 for the progress hes making.

at lest Chelsea have the balls to remedy an incorrect decision.

It’s being realistic Lord. You think an ambitious manger will want to manage a club that has owners who’s ambition is just to squeeze into the top 4? Who have shown that they turn the tap of support off once top 4 is net? Transfer spending only proves how bad they are at acquiring players. The stadium is falling apart. The training facilities are sh*te for a super club. And the fans expect league and champions league challenges.

I do believe a top manager would join us.

For all people moan about lack of investment, and it is an issue, Chelsea, Liverpool and Leicester have all won the league since our last one, despite less spending than us. Spurs have reached a Cl final while we celebrate entry into the competition.

For all the glazers are an issue, and a massive one, they have not underinvested in players. They have Invested poorly, sure. But I think that since Ole has come in, he’s been given 300m worth of investments and has been given largely free reign on the team building.

I think a genuine top manager would kill for those resources. I think if the club made a push for Zidane, they’d get him. I think it wouldn’t be hard to upgrade Ole at all, and being honest, you wouldn’t even need an elite manager to upgrade. I think even a Brendan Rodgers level manager would kick us up a level easily, and I’d say he’d leap at the chance.

Trying to paint us as some paupers who no top manager will want is just pure inferiority complex. For all we have an ambition problem, the resources are there for a significantly better level manager to come in and do better.

For all people moan about lack of investment, and it is an issue, Chelsea, Liverpool and Leicester have all won the league since our last one, despite less spending than us. Spurs have reached a Cl final while we celebrate entry into the competition.

For all the glazers are an issue, and a massive one, they have not underinvested in players. They have Invested poorly, sure. But I think that since Ole has come in, he’s been given 300m worth of investments and has been given largely free reign on the team building.

I think a genuine top manager would kill for those resources. I think if the club made a push for Zidane, they’d get him. I think it wouldn’t be hard to upgrade Ole at all, and being honest, you wouldn’t even need an elite manager to upgrade. I think even a Brendan Rodgers level manager would kick us up a level easily, and I’d say he’d leap at the chance.

Trying to paint us as some paupers who no top manager will want is just pure inferiority complex. For all we have an ambition problem, the resources are there for a significantly better level manager to come in and do better.

I never painted United as Paupers, I said they spend poorly, they just need to spend better but the fact they have refused to change how they manage things is why I am not overly confident and would concern potential managers. I’m not sure if you are getting my point on spending. United has spent as much as anybody and yet has such a terrible return. Why do you think that is? Do you not see? Whether it’s managers choosing who to sign or the club doing it’s own thing (or mixture of both) United is a poorly structured club that has proven beyond a doubt that if you don’t have the right infrastructure to compliment funds available, it doesn’t count for much. How can you talk about all those other clubs that have done better then United and used their resources better and not imagine Potential managers wondering why that has been the case?

When a top manager is assessing a potential club, they surely look at how it’s run and how it’s done. Potential managers of Chelsea, city, Liverpool and even Leicester can see these clubs doing well with what they have spent. I don’t think top managers presume that “bad/wrong managers” has been Uniteds problem.

If a top manager has a choice of any of the top euro clubs or Liverpool, city or Chelsea , they don’t choose United right now.

I’ve said it before, maybe Ole will be the ranieri of the club, getting the squad ready for a Jose to come in and take us to the next level. But Unless there is significant investment this summer I don’t see the benefit of getting another manager. They won’t improve on second with that squad and won’t do much in the CL. Look at Uniteds bench against villareal, that’s not one that’s gonna change a big CL game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Give me Citys season any day of the week over ours.

To compare them is crazy. We could not even win second string final after failure to get out of our group in CL after the perfect start.

So all these great managers want to join but haven’t, why is that? Oh it’s because the owners don’t want them. Why is that? It doesn’t matter what you or I think, all that matters is what the owners think, that’s the point. I guess we will just have to take your word on it since none of these managers have joined or will be joining anytime soon.

What is it with thinking because the owners aren't going to do X, that we as fans shouldn't think we should be doing X.

So because the Glazers would never buy Harry Kane, then no fan should ever say we should buy Harry Kane?

If we sacked Ole, the Glazers wouldn't hire Conte, therefore no fan should be allowed to say they would like us to sign Conte?

Real Madrid sack managers willy nilly. They even sack managers before they've even managed games for them! Yet they'll still have a queue of managers lining up.

• Advertisement

Give me Citys season any day of the week over ours.

To compare them is crazy. We could not even win second string final after failure to get out of our group in CL after the perfect start.

They were 3 wins away from a quadruple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement