Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Trigger wrote: »
    Think he will be fine there.. he naturally drifts into that space when defending anyways so it might work out for him there

Pretty sure he played well there a few times in Ole's first season, when we played 3-5-2 a fair bit in Europe and a few big games iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

PARlance wrote: »
    Pretty sure he played well there a few times in Ole's first season, when we played 3-5-2 a fair bit in Europe and a few big games iirc.

Played there v PSG and did pretty well. He's done it a few times and he's comfortable doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

pjohnson wrote: »
    Could work well and let Telles go wing back.

Moot if we sign Pau Torres as he'd start left CB regardless. But good to add versatility.

I'd be reluctant to move Shaw now that he finally seems to be fulfilling his potential and had the season of his career with us so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

So more than last year with a year less on his contract and not as good a season. If it was bayren Munich they'd drive him to his press confence for 20e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They've no need to sell though, so as long as Sancho isn't aggravating for a move from his end, it makes sense for them to over-value him. And equally at that price Utd should just back off and look elsewhere. Far better value to be found.

I'm sure if the reverse happened and PSG came sniffing after Bruno, they'd be told a price that was far and away above reasonable.
    So more than last year with a year less on his contract and not as good a season. If it was bayren Munich they'd drive him to his press confence for 20e

They haaaaate selling to Bayern. Gotze's release clause was triggered, Lewandowski ran down his contract and left for nothing, and Hummels ran down his contract and left with one year remaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Isn't that what they have been looking for all along, £80m and £20m in add ons.. that is what has been the valuation this year.. last year it was £110/120m total IIRC

No worries a dm and cb it is so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

its grand. the scouts have #2 and #3 already targeted. RW will be sorted this summer for the 1st time in ~10 years.

i fear it's gonna be another dry summer. ed's last hurray about how to **** the club.

i still wont use that as an excuse about why ole should be sacked though.

as an aside, who here owes €100 to charity? i put a bet on before the season kicked off (maybe a few games in) that we would finish above liverpool.

i'll match it to whatever charity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Trigger wrote: »
    Isn't that what they have been looking for all along, £80m and £20m in add ons.. that is what has been the valuation this year.. last year it was £110/120m total IIRC

I think a lot of people are still burned so badly by last years mess, they are ultra cautious this summer. Which is understandable, of course. But there’s a sense of wanting to just aggressively move on from this deal.

Me? I personally think there’s a different vibe from the main Dortmund press this summer compared to last, where they are already talking of spending the money. Some press will try and squeeze a load of drama from the story but it reaches a point where it’s probably better to take a break from transfer gossip if it’s riling you up…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Fukc it can we just go and get Goncalves from Sporting for £50m and move on to CDM and CB. I'm fed up with the Sancho stuff now and if BVB want £90m we should tell them to get stuffed and go get Goncalves who is a cracking player, better value and won't come with the English media pressure.

If Arsenal get Neves for £35m I will literally cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sancho is the new Sneijder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I don’t see anything being done before the Euros so best not get too carried away.

We can do our annual going ballistic around August 1st again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d be happy to let Pogba go for 30 mil. Save 350k a week on wages aswell and that’s an extra 50 million in the kitty to play around with. He’s been such a noose around the clubs kneck and he’s just not done it enough. I don’t see the benefit of shoe horning him into a team. He’s a quality player on paper but he has never consistently fit in at United. Whether he’s not happy, playing out of position, out of form or injured, more often then not he’s not been good enough.

Don’t care what his stats suggest, we can switch things around. The clubs survived Cantona , Ruud , ronaldo , we can replace Pogba who hasn’t been anywhere near as important or productive as any of these players. Hell Cavani and Zlatan have offered more consistently in their brief stint at the club.

Surely psg would pay 30 mil for an extra season with a player like that. Prob should wait till after Euros when we get a chance to yet again see the pogba we don’t get at United and might get a few more quid for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1402928853182464004?s=19

Personal terms done, they expire before half 8 tho which is a worry.

Now to spent the next 2 months arguing over the fee and add-ons.

Looking good for late-August when Dortmund remind us they wanted it done by preseason or no deal :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

I know people will think this is more of the same with regards Sancho.

But I feel it’s not. These stories are now acknowledging we have started “negotiations” officially. That’s the last step, IMO, before the deal is done. It’s both sides now saying “right, let’s get the final details sorted, we all want this to happen”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

I think a DM needs to be signed straight away. Have you seen Pobga for France. Jesus what a performance. If it take signing a world class DM to get the best out of him then get the deal done

[Josep Pedrerol] "Real Madrid believes Varane will leave this summer. Man Utd and Chelsea, the most interested. PSG also asked about his situation. The club will try to get around 60 million euros fee"

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1402928853182464004?s=19

Personal terms done, they expire before half 8 tho which is a worry.

Now to spent the next 2 months arguing over the fee and add-ons.

Looking good for late-August when Dortmund remind us they wanted it done by preseason or no deal :)

Only thing that may make this happen is the recent engagement with fans and a willingness to show some good faith by getting this done. The glazers aren’t fools, they know getting sancho could buy a lot of credit with fans.

Let Pogba have a great euros, offload him for a few quid, get in a quality CDM, maybe a solid striker and taht would be a good summer. Also if Shaw works out CB for England that’s another option in defence.

Could be a glorious summer... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Lord TSC wrote: »

But I feel it’s not. These stories are now acknowledging we have started “negotiations” officially. That’s the last step, IMO, before the deal is done. It’s both sides now saying “right, let’s get the final details sorted, we all want this to happen”.

Aye, last year BD said we want X and if you don't pay it piss off. Now it's being reported as negotiating, it makes sense for all parties tbh. He wants to join, we want to sign him and BD need the money to fund transfers.

It will be a bit of posturing so no parties lose any face but it feels like it will be done sooner rather than later.

Could be a good start to the transfer window. Get a proper DM in that will start most games along with maybe a centre half then I'd consider that a very successful summer and it sets us up nicely for next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Aye, last year BD said we want X and if you don't pay it piss off. Now it's being reported as negotiating, it makes sense for all parties tbh. He wants to join, we want to sign him and BD need the money to fund transfers.

It will be a bit of posturing so no parties lose any face but it feels like it will be done sooner rather than later.

Could be a good start to the transfer window. Get a proper DM in that will start most games along with maybe a centre half then I'd consider that a very successful summer and it sets us up nicely for next season.

I've a feeling it will be a forward player (sancho?) and a CB.

I'd be surprised if anything else happened tbh, and would reckon we go for a DM over a striker (if Sancho is signed) should we get enough money in from sales to fund something.

No real talk of United selling players though - so not hopeful.

I've a feeling it will be a forward player (sancho?) and a CB.

I'd be surprised if anything else happened tbh, and would reckon we go for a DM over a striker (if Sancho is signed) should we get enough money in from sales to fund something.

No real talk of United selling players though - so not hopeful.

Who is uniteds striker when Cavani isn’t available? I don’t see Greenwood or Rashford or martial ready or suitable as a focal point up front. Do you see it more like city/Liverpool who actually don’t really have an out and out strikerup front, more a 3 pronged forward line that rotates between itself.(Or at least they don’t seem to value one from what I can see).

Drumpot wrote: »
    Who is uniteds striker when Cavani isn’t available? I don’t see Greenwood or Rashford or martial ready or suitable as a focal point up front. Do you see it more like city/Liverpool who actually don’t really have an out and out strikerup front, more a 3 pronged forward line that rotates between itself.(Or at least they don’t seem to value one from what I can see).

Martial, Rashford, Greenwood. And no, I'm not going to argue that is perfect. I just think it is somewhat realistic and I don't see links to strikers that would take Cavani's spot. Ings was linked a few weeks ago but nothing since.

IMO the reality is that we shouldn't be going in to the season with Cavani as first choice striker. He doesn't have the fitness for it, based on what we saw last season. But I don't see where the funds would come from. If we sign Sancho, I would imagine him to be the biggest signing of our summer - we aren't getting him AND Kane or Haaland for example.

On your mention of Liverpool.... i do wonder if Fernandes could play a 'Firminho' role

--McTominay---Fred--Pogba
    Bruno
    Sancho
    Rashford

Something to ponder.....

Its not that I argue against signing a stiker, I just believe the clubs line of thinking is that if we sign Sancho, we can make do with what we have as a striker til next summer, when maybe Haaland is still available, or there is another viable target (Fiorentina guy?)

my realistic thought for this summer is that United seem to want Sancho and Varane (with Pau Torres an alt option) - and any signing beyond that will depend entirely on who is sold and how much money is raised.

I mean, I can think of one other guy who seems to be batting eyelids a bit at us right now, that could fill in that striker role, as well as play on the LW a bit too.

Club legend, bit older but reports he'd take a pay cut. Seems to gel well with our main playmaker, a short term solution but a great role model for the kids. Proper winner mentality.

I mean, I can think of one other guy who seems to be batting eyelids a bit at us right now, that could fill in that striker role, as well as play on the LW a bit too.

Club legend, bit older but reports he'd take a pay cut. Seems to gel well with our main playmaker, a short term solution but a great role model for the kids. Proper winner mentality.

If we hadn't re-signed Cavani I reckon Ronaldo would be more of an interesting option.

I'd certainly take him as I believe his price would be low. Wages would be huge, but maybe not an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bojan Djordjic?

If we hadn't re-signed Cavani I reckon Ronaldo would be more of an interesting option.

I'd certainly take him as I believe his price would be low. Wages would be huge, but maybe not an issue.

I don’t see any real downside to a Ronaldo signing. Particularly if we can get the most out of him and use him to help youngsters grow. He will certainly rank up the professionalism and expectations in the dressingroom. Also might put some manners on Pogba, even his presence may invigorate Pogba.

He’s possibly the most driven player in the world , he’s not joining any club to retire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's exactly the same as last year. Early last summer it was reported widely that the clubs were negotiating through a third party, only for that to turn out to be utter BS. It was widely reported that Utd had put in a few bids too, but that was also BS. Utd also apparently agreed terms early last summer too. I'm not seeing or reading anything different to what was reported last summer.

Utd will again faff around expecting Dortmund to do what they didn't do last year and lower the price and end up panic signing someone in a completely different position on deadline day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

What was the point in buying 2 right sided attackers in Pellestri and Amad if we're effectively going to put them out of the team. Not like Sancho is a sure thing in this division anyway. CDM is a priority in this side, need an upgrade on fred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If Sancho is the top target for united then they should give dortmund the 90mil,get the deal done. It will probably be the usual thing of drag it out till August and offer less money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Seen a couple of calls to have Pogba sold and it mentioned how good he was for France, kind of implying he's not for us. Pogba's been excellent for us since he came back from Covid in December but again with Paul the narrative rules over the actual facts.

Unless he himself wants to go this desire to get rid of one of our and footballs best players is bizarre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Seen a couple of calls to have Pogba sold and it mentioned how good he was for France, kind of implying he's not for us. Pogba's been excellent for us since he came back from Covid in December but again with Paul the narrative rules over the actual facts.

Unless he himself wants to go this desire to get rid of one of our and footballs best players is bizarre.

he was excellent for about 6 weeks, I felt he was playing poorly in the run in. Granted that was in a team that was generally playing poorly, but seeing as Olé's "tactics" amount to waiting for one of his star players to produce some magic, Pogba doesn't do that anywhere near enough, and the rest of the time he's just giving the ball away.

To describe him as "one of footballs best players" is ridiculous, based on what, his price, his wages?
    I wouldn't be upset to see him leave - how many United fans would say the same about Bruno, or Cavani, or Rashford.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

6 months of nearly consistent form in 4 years is not the basis of him being an integral part of a functional team.

And he's not been excellent since december. He's had some excellent games, some good games, but he's also stunk the place out in a few games, particularly those where he was in midfield, the position he apparently wants to play in rather than out left where he has been at his best.

He's had Tolisso, Kante and Rabiot beside him in 2 friendly games, the first of which was against 10 men for over an hour. He's always played better for France too anyway. Its a different game plan, team and style of football and he looks like he gives a sh!t in every match and doesn't point the finger of blame or try the stupid things he does when he pulls on a Man Utd shirt

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    he was excellent for about 6 weeks, I felt he was playing poorly in the run in.
    Weepsie wrote: »
    6 months of nearly consistent form in 4 years is not the basis of him being an integral part of a functional team.

I could post stats I previously posted about his goals and assists compared to the rest of the squad before covid was an issue and results at certain times with him in the team vs without out him but clearly they would be falling on deaf ears.

6 months of nearly consistent form in 4 years is a ludicrous statement that doesn't really warrant that much effort in a reply. Unlike other players who are being overplayed and misused by Ole or at least afforded that excuse it just goes back to Pogba being a virus I guess.

As I already said with Pogba the narrative rules over the actual facts.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I could post stats I previously posted about his goals and assists compared to the rest of the squad before covid was an issue and results at certain times with him in the team vs without out him but clearly they would be falling on deaf ears.

6 months of nearly consistent form in 4 years is a ludicrous statement that doesn't really warrant that much effort in a reply. Unlike other players who are being overplayed and misused by Ole or at least afforded that excuse it just goes back to Pogba being a virus I guess.

As I already said with Pogba the narrative rules over the actual facts.

Does your own last line not also suggest there is a narrative on the other side of the coin?

To regard his play as excellent is also a stretch. While I agree the negative thoughts of him can be overstated I don't see a need to overstate how good his play was.

He had a good run of form the season gone, that is about it. He was no better than Fred or McT across the season.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Does your own last line not also suggest there is a narrative on the other side of the coin?

To regard his play as excellent is also a stretch. While I agree the negative thoughts of him can be overstated I don't see a need to overstate how good his play was.

He had a good run of form the season gone, that is about it. He was no better than Fred or McT across the season.

Just to be clear I said since December, not overall. I'm well aware how he can blow hot and cold at times but as was said already that he's only been good for 6 months out of four years is ridiculous. If that's not a narrative I don't know what is.

He bossed some games when he came back and was the difference in several so yes he was very good since his return in December, I don't think thats over stating anything.

We are in a position were we need to push on and strengthen the squad. Pogba leaving would be a step backwards for the team especially the midfield.

Few reports that we are back in contract talks with Pogba. Only has a year left on his contract so the reality is we really need to either get him on a new deal or get him sold.

At this point I'd prefer to see him sold and the midfield rebuilt without having to worry about how he will fit. I think he has fantastic attributes as a footballer but United just can't trust him, imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Just to be clear I said since December, not overall. I'm well aware how he can blow hot and cold at times but as was said already that he's only been good for 6 months out of four years is ridiculous. If that's not a narrative I don't know what is.

He bossed some games when he came back and was the difference in several so yes he was very good since his return in December, I don't think thats over stating anything.

We are in a position were we need to push on and strengthen the squad. Pogba leaving would be a step backwards for the team especially the midfield.

I know you said December. He has not been excellent since then, as you point towards - he had some very good games in that time, some good and some not so good. Therefore saying he was excellent is overstating imo.

He has a good few months overall when available, he was no better than say McT or Fred. In the season gone he was subbed in for a quarter of the games. After December he missed 9 games in Feb and Mar through injury so the sample size of his good run is still small.

If United moved on Pogba but did not replace him it would be a bad choice, if they moved him on and replaced him then the club could be as well if not better off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Barca looking to sell of a few players. I'd take Busquests at the right price. Would certainly help against teams where patience is required.

AS saying we have had a 12m bid rejected for Trippier. atletico want at least 22m as that’s what they paid. But he’s also 31 and a year left on his contract so I’d say you’ll see it done for 15-18m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

AS saying we have had a 12m bid rejected for Trippier. atletico want at least 22m as that’s what they paid. But he’s also 31 and a year left on his contract so I’d say you’ll see it done for 15-18m.

Outrages price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

2 Years. His contract got renewed last month after playing 20 games.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/manchester-united-have-great-interest-in-player-cannot-use-the-trick-of-contract-situation-for-signing/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Few reports that we are back in contract talks with Pogba. Only has a year left on his contract so the reality is we really need to either get him on a new deal or get him sold.

At this point I'd prefer to see him sold and the midfield rebuilt without having to worry about how he will fit. I think he has fantastic attributes as a footballer but United just can't trust him, imo.

Completely agree. Even what, 4 years in, the choice seems to be to weaken our team by playing him in a midfield 2, or unbalance the team with him wide left and Rashford wide right. He's not going to get in ahead of Bruno centrally because Bruno offers far more than he does. Maybe a proper defensive midfielder might left him play box to box centrally, but I don't see it happening.

So unless we change formation from usual, or Rashford becomes droppable even when he's terrible, both of which are unlikely, Pogba is a luxury we can't afford.

Pogba not killing talk to PSG.

Would love if we could get Marquinhos is a swap, or Verratti. Both would be great signings for United.

Would obviously love Mbappe too.... but lets be real!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

for a second there I thought Utd were bidding in reverse

"78m"
    nein!
    "ok... 67m"

(yes I see, different currencies).

Got to assume this will get done, if we try to buy him two summers in a row without actually getting him, we'll look like idiots, even by our standards of transfer dealings.

loyatemu wrote: »
    for a second there I thought Utd were bidding in reverse

"78m"
    nein!
    "ok... 67m"

(yes I see, different currencies).

Got to assume this will get done, if we try to buy him two summers in a row without actually getting him, we'll look like idiots, even by our standards of transfer dealings.

still feels to familiar to last summer, where the club made an absolute joke of itself.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement