Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

still feels to familiar to last summer, where the club made an absolute joke of itself.

The fish jumped into the boat and all Woodward had to do was hit it with the oar but he ended up scuttling the boat, it's been this way as long as he's been around, hapless.

Glazers Out!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Did Stone ever report a rejected bid like this last summer?

Stone and Nurse singin from the same hymn sheet means the club has decided it wants it known we are pushing and close to finishing the deal. Usually, the tier one lads don’t confirm that sort of thing unless the deal is nearly finished.

I’d say we are very close to the end now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Weepsie wrote: »
    6 months of nearly consistent form in 4 years is not the basis of him being an integral part of a functional team.

And he's not been excellent since december. He's had some excellent games, some good games, but he's also stunk the place out in a few games, particularly those where he was in midfield, the position he apparently wants to play in rather than out left where he has been at his best.

He's had Tolisso, Kante and Rabiot beside him in 2 friendly games, the first of which was against 10 men for over an hour. He's always played better for France too anyway. Its a different game plan, team and style of football and he looks like he gives a sh!t in every match and doesn't point the finger of blame or try the stupid things he does when he pulls on a Man Utd shirt

Far from a fan of his but this is nonsense. He was in premiership team of the year the year before he missed most of it with that ankle injury. I guess it wasn't either of those seasons you're talking about

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

We've had plenty of debates about the team of the year and who should and shouldn't be in them, and we have them every year. Eyebrows were also raised that year at his inclusion.

Pogba has been a woefully inconsistent luxury in his time at man utd. He had a season in which he lost possesion nearly 20 times per game on average. That's not acceptable. He is consistently middle of the pack in passing.

All the (mostly false too) things that lets say Fred gets pilloried for, apply to Pogba. Loses possession, can't tackle, players drift past him, passing accuracy is soso

Now Pogba is 100% a better football player, but Man Utd have never seen the consistent all conquering never quitting, never pointing or pouting , gut busting Pogba on a consistent basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Far from a fan of his but this is nonsense. He was in premiership team of the year the year before he missed most of it with that ankle injury. I guess it wasn't either of those seasons you're talking about

When has Pogba ever performed as well as he did for France in 2018 for United? Gerrard was getting in teams of the season for years when there were loads of better midfielders every season and his team were finishing outside the top 4 regularly. The players vote for it, they're silly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lord TSC wrote: »

Stone and Nurse singin from the same hymn sheet means the club has decided it wants it known we are pushing and close to finishing the deal. Usually, the tier one lads don’t confirm that sort of thing unless the deal is nearly finished.

We'll be at the end when they pay the price Dortmund want. Was nothing learnt last summer? They have a price and they won't back down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

We'll be at the end when they pay the price Dortmund want. Was nothing learnt last summer? They have a price and they won't back down.

If we really want him we will end up paying the asking price. I'm not sure what all this under bidding is about. I'd it to make a statement that we don't like been messed around in the transfer market. If we ultimately pay what they want what's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Few reports that we are back in contract talks with Pogba. Only has a year left on his contract so the reality is we really need to either get him on a new deal or get him sold.

At this point I'd prefer to see him sold and the midfield rebuilt without having to worry about how he will fit. I think he has fantastic attributes as a footballer but United just can't trust him, imo.

Pogba has distanced himself from contract talks, said there's been nothing he's been away on holidays and now is focused on the euros. Nothing concrete happening at all, with some luck we can squeeze PSG for a few quid, hopefully he has a smashing euros and they want to bring the French hero home

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Pogba has distanced himself from contract talks, said there's been nothing he's been away on holidays and now is focused on the euros. Nothing concrete happening at all, with some luck we can squeeze PSG for a few quid, hopefully he has a smashing euros and they want to bring the French hero home

Surely signing Wijnaldum means they won't buy another midfielder. They're bloated there already

• Advertisement

It's possiblity, along with the complete opposite sadly.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Surely signing Wijnaldum means they won't buy another midfielder. They're bloated there already

Ah look a man can dream, Wijnaldum doesn't have the same profile as Pogba, and particularly if PSG are gonna be losing mbappe bringing in Pogba would be a shrewd move for then from a marketing pov

[Florian Plettenberg] ��Exclusive #Coman: #MUFC has deposited interest! It’s expected that they bid for KC if they can't get #Sancho. Even Nagelsmann knows about the interest from @ManUtd but he wants to keep him. It is said within #FCBayern: KC wants to extend, his advisors are the problem. @SPORT1

€50m price quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

loyatemu wrote: »
    for a second there I thought Utd were bidding in reverse

"78m"
    nein!
    "ok... 67m"

(yes I see, different currencies).

Got to assume this will get done, if we try to buy him two summers in a row without actually getting him, we'll look like idiots, even by our standards of transfer dealings.

We already look like idiots, whether we get the deal done or not, we've made absolute twats of ourselves over this.

TRC10 wrote: »
    We already look like idiots, whether we get the deal done or not, we've made absolute twats of ourselves over this.

True. Chelsea and Liverpool don't mess around under bidding. The links to Conan are to put pressure on Dortmund. It's silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

TRC10 wrote: »

Couldn’t care less how we look as long as we get the deal done before the players meet for pre-season. Whether that will happen or not is the big question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Couldn’t care less how we look as long as we get the deal done before the players meet for pre-season. Whether that will happen or not is the big question.

I'll care if we drag it out so long that we don't get a midfielder in and we're going into next season with McFred starting, which I think is a real possibility.

If we have £90m to spend on 1 player, I'd rather we spent it on Rice than Sancho.

Irritating to see teams having players and deals lined up alright, and just pulling the trigger. Not too pushed on the player himself though. He's alright like but not exactly a mainstay in a Leipzig team. Good depth to add for them that they should have added last year is all really.

How many games have you seen him play out of interest? Will be interesting to see if he starts most games alongside VVD (if he can stay fit) or will be more of a depth player like you’re suggesting.

I think if we spent 90 million on Rice it would probably be the end of me tbh.

How many games have you seen him play out of interest? Will be interesting to see if he starts most games alongside VVD (if he can stay fit) or will be more of a depth player like you’re suggesting.

Not too much last season, but he had some injury issues during the season, and seemed unable to force his way into the team, spent a fair chunk of time being depth for Leipzig like, never mind Liverpool, he made 14 appearance in the league like (season before was 8) Has he been capped for France yet?

In fact he made the starting line up in 24% of the games this season according to that transfermarkt site, but he's quick and he should suit Liverpool's tactical style I think, like I said good depth for them and something that they should have done in January

Could he turn into a superstar and be a gem of a player? Of course, but there isn't anything to suggest it as of yet. *To any Liverpool fans, this is not me saying he's *****

Not too much last season, but he had some injury issues during the season, and seemed unable to force his way into the team, spent a fair chunk of time being depth for Leipzig like, never mind Liverpool, he made 14 appearance in the league like (season before was 8) Has he been capped for France yet?

In fact he made the starting line up in 24% of the games this season according to that transfermarkt site, but he's quick and he should suit Liverpool's tactical style I think, like I said good depth for them and something that they should have done in January

Could he turn into a superstar and be a gem of a player? Of course, but there isn't anything to suggest it as of yet. *To any Liverpool fans, this is not me saying he's *****

Yeah he’s one of those that I’m wondering should we have taken a gamble on but it’s hard to know based on his injury record. I haven’t seen enough of him to know but The Athletic have done a very good write up on him that I need to catch up on. If he’s up there with VVD, next season Liverpool really have a very strong back 5 and I think they could be favourites for the league again.

• Advertisement

If he's up there with VVD performance wise like? Next season? I'd be fairly surprised, but sure who knows - who even knows how VVD will be when he comes back.

I don't really think it matters too much who we sign at cb when the coaching remains the same. Just look at the record from defending set pieces, you can't get away from it being down to the coaching when its that bad tbh. I do think a top DM makes a big difference in general to the team, and protects the back 4 while still giving flexibility in attack. RW and DM are as always my top two targets, a striker would be a must for any team trying to win the league too of course not to mention the other areas but I'd be shocked and pleasantly surprised to see a starting DM and RWer signed for next season, would be a lot more confident of maintaining top 4 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

[Florian Plettenberg] ��Exclusive #Coman: #MUFC has deposited interest! It’s expected that they bid for KC if they can't get #Sancho. Even Nagelsmann knows about the interest from @ManUtd but he wants to keep him. It is said within #FCBayern: KC wants to extend, his advisors are the problem. @SPORT1

€50m price quoted.

Hopefully this isn't real. Coman is a good player but he's injury prone, only 24 and he's said he'll retire if he gets another serious injury.

Hopefully this isn't real. Coman is a good player but he's injury prone, only 24 and he's said he'll retire if he gets another serious injury.

I’d say a mix of us looking at backup options for Sancho, us using him as a negotiation tool with Dortmund and his agent using us as a negotiation tool with Bayern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Sky saying we and Dortmund are £11m sterling apart.

You'd imagine this will get done this time. The fact England are based at home for Euros might make things easier and allow us to get this done during Euro's. I personally think it's too much for him and would rather see the money go on someone like Rice but we have been desperate for a RW for what feels like forever so I won't complain too much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I’d say a mix of us looking at backup options for Sancho, us using him as a negotiation tool with Dortmund and his agent using us as a negotiation tool with Bayern.
    Again, if the club are using this as a negotiation tool, they learnt nothing last summer. Utd pay what Dortmund want or the deal doesn't get done. It's that simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Sky saying we and Dortmund are £11m sterling apart.

You'd imagine this will get done this time. The fact England are based at home for Euros might make things easier and allow us to get this done during Euro's. I personally think it's too much for him and would rather see the money go on someone like Rice but we have been desperate for a RW for what feels like forever so I won't complain too much.

What would Rice add to the team? Where is he going to play? Who would his partner be in midfield? A midfielder is needed and Rice has been playing in a 4-2-3-1 but people seem to want him signed to play in a role that neither he, nor Man United have played in/with a long time as a lone DM.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

Liam O wrote: »
    What would Rice add to the team? Where is he going to play? Who would his partner be in midfield? A midfielder is needed and Rice has been playing in a 4-2-3-1 but people seem to want him signed to play in a role that neither he, nor Man United have played in/with a long time as a lone DM.

I’d imagine he would be seen as a replacement for Matic and could play beside McTominay.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

KH25 wrote: »
    I’d imagine he would be seen as a replacement for Matic and could play beside McTominay.

Leaves is with the same issue as playing 2 in that role, though McTominay would surely push forward a bit more.

I'd still be persuing Ndidi over Rice. He does the job of 2 players nearly, and I would then nearly have the confidence in Pogba to be let loose in our midfield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep. I havent a clue how some seem to think Rice would partner Pogba with Bruno ahead of both.

Thats just setting Rice up to fail and our midfield to go back to being dysfunctional.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Leaves is with the same issue as playing 2 in that role, though McTominay would surely push forward a bit more.

I'd still be persuing Ndidi over Rice. He does the job of 2 players nearly, and I would then nearly have the confidence in Pogba to be let loose in our midfield

I suppose the idea would be that McTominay would have licence to get forward more, so we could push him further forward and have Rice covering. I’d agree with you though that Ndidi would be the signing to make. I think he’d be a brilliant addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

All of these discussions are part of the reason Sancho dragging, again, is annoying me.

If we got the Sancho deal sorted, it then becomes clearer what the club can do elsewhere - but with Sancho dragging there is still questions marks over funds and allocation, so everything else gets kicked down the line too.

It is a pathetic scenario the clubs finds itself in year after year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

All of these discussions are part of the reason Sancho dragging, again, is annoying me.

If we got the Sancho deal sorted, it then becomes clearer what the club can do elsewhere - but with Sancho dragging there is still questions marks over funds and allocation, so everything else gets kicked down the line too.

Only 203 sleeps until the issue is scheduled to be resolved ...

0_GettyImages-1190701775.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Talisman wrote: »
    Only 203 sleeps until the issue is scheduled to be resolved ...

It can't just be Woodward though, Joel Glazer is apparently quite involved in these things, and it was him who would not allow Woodward to increase the United bid to match the Dortmund valuation last summer.

When woodward goes it is just going to be some other commercials first accountant in charge, the glazers care more about protecting their devidend than anything else.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Woodward definitely played the big man with journalists with his talk of consulting with experts before green lighting transfers and boasting that he blocked "one or two" of the transfers Mourinho wanted.

Waiting a year to sign Maguire made no sense. Mourinho wanted the player and certainly could have used him but £70M was too much. A year later, Mourinho was gone and Woodward was happy to pay £80M for the player. Money clearly wasn't the issue.

Waiting a year to sign Maguire made no sense. Mourinho wanted the player and certainly could have used him but £70M was too much. A year later, Mourinho was gone and Woodward was happy to pay £80M for the player. Money clearly wasn't the issue.

Or maybe it was, and the fact that yet another manager telling him that Maguire was a big uplift on what was already there forced his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Whilst United have been really poor in negotiating the last number of years, I can understand why with regards to Sancho that things are not further along.

Dortmund were in very real danger of missing out on CL. I'd be fairly confident we were waiting to see if they qualified or not as if they missed out, then it would have weakened their stance considerably.

Or maybe it was, and the fact that yet another manager telling him that Maguire was a big uplift on what was already there forced his hand.
    That would seem to suggest that Woodward valued Solskjaer's judgement on the player over Mourinho's. I think it's more likely that Woodward was being petty with Mourinho who had made a public criticism of Woodward's way of doing transfers.

That would seem to suggest that Woodward valued Solskjaer's judgement on the player over Mourinho's. I think it's more likely that Woodward was being petty with Mourinho who had made a public criticism of Woodward's way of doing transfers.

It doesn't have to be one or the other. The fact that we were horrendous and leaking goals for the whole season bar about 12 games post Ole's appointment may have told it's own story.

• Advertisement

[RN] On Thursday United leaked through reputable English media (BBC, Guardian) that BVB had rejected an initial offer of 78 million euros for Sancho, €17m away from the desired fee. This offer however never reached Borussia Dortmund.

Tier 1 for Dortmund, I think :S

If we do get the Sancho deal over the line. Where does that leave Martial in that Greenwood will be replacing Cavani in a year as our leading striker and Amad will be our other wing option. Also do you think James will be kept? I presume Mata will be gone and Pellestri will go on loan again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

[RN] On Thursday United leaked through reputable English media (BBC, Guardian) that BVB had rejected an initial offer of 78 million euros for Sancho, €17m away from the desired fee. This offer however never reached Borussia Dortmund.

Tier 1 for Dortmund, I think :S

How does an offer of that much not reach the selling club???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

How does an offer of that much not reach the selling club???

The claim from that would that there was no offer, just United briefing media that there was.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »

I’d be surprised if he moves if only Sancho comes in tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

When has Pogba ever performed as well as he did for France in 2018 for United? Gerrard was getting in teams of the season for years when there were loads of better midfielders every season and his team were finishing outside the top 4 regularly. The players vote for it, they're silly.

The players come up against each other week in week out, id be taking their opinion over any journalist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

In Woodward defense he already had bought 2 cbs for Jose and the club had 6 or 7 cb by that stage at the club

As we all found out, all the cbs were either not good enough or injury prone which is why maquire was got and why we still need another.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement