Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Anonymous. Saka looks good, and would be cheaper.

Yeah Saka's barnstormer there really should stop United signing the player that they've been following for years.

How did Saka do in the league last season? Do you think it may be a problem that he's never played in the Champions League? How much would Arsenal sell him for btw? I can't help but notice that his 5 goals last season is fewer than the 12 Sancho got at the same age. I'm sure his general play is much better though. Can you advise?

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Liam O wrote: »
    Yeah Saka's barnstormer there really should stop United signing the player that they've been following for years.

?

While I agree, I also don't think man utd are following him purely for footballing reasons, and are also very much interested in his marketability.

Not a hope arsenal would be selling saka either, one of their genuine good prospects.

The best ring performance of the tournament that I've seen was chiesas last week, but let's not go down the road of buying players based on tournament performance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

v3ttel wrote: »
    Nice in theory, but in reality, it is not a good look for the club to be treating players in this way.

Who wants to play for a club that banishes one of their most talented players to the reserves for 12 months?

It would disrupt the dressing room, lessen the chances of success as there is less quality on the pitch, create a circus which would be a huge distraction and flush a couple of hundred per week down the sh!tter for no reason.

Convince him to sign a new contract, sell him, or play him and accept the consequences of allowing him to get this far without his future sorted. Those are the realistic options.

I do not support the overall idea in terms of how bluntly it was put and would like to think the club would have a better plan than sign or sit.

I do think the general idea has a place in the conversation or thinking of a football club. Can United have faith that a player running down his contract is going to play to a high standard in the season ahead?

Some players may actually play better when they are looking to increase their value. Others may choose to hide and take it easy to protect themselves and rely on reputation to carry them into the new season.

For any player regardless of intentions, the contract running out can start to have negative influences, for example things like undergoing an surgery that could wait for the summer suddenly appeals more to the player (and advisers) looking to be ready for a new club.

If they have any doubts about a players desire or intent to work for the team it may be best to move ahead with replacing them, phasing them out and the player ends up on the bench or not involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

DM_7 wrote: »
    I do not support the overall idea in terms of how bluntly it was put and would like to think the club would have a better plan than sign or sit.

I do think the general idea has a place in the conversation or thinking of a football club. Can United have faith that a player running down his contract is going to play to a high standard in the season ahead?

Some players may actually play better when they are looking to increase their value. Others may choose to hide and take it easy to protect themselves and reply on reputation to carry them into the new season.

For any player regardless of intentions, the contract running out can start to have negative influences, for example things like undergoing an surgery that could wait for the summer suddenly appeals more to the player (and advisers) looking to be ready for a new club.

If they have any doubts about a players desire or intent to work for the team it may be best to move ahead with replacing them, phasing them out and the player ends up on the bench or not involved.

I know it isn't exactly the same, due to the player actually being under contract but to me it is similar to the conversations around players that were going out of contract last summer and the discussions on extending their deal for a month to cover the end of the pandemic season. Was it Matt Richie that said not to Bournmouth - essentially cause he didn't want to risk injury prior to a summer free contract move?

On the other side of it, i 100% think Vidic should have been stipped of captaincy when he agreed to sign for Inter. Once he had commited himself elsewhere, he should not have been captain imo, at least.

Anonymous. Saka looks good, and would be cheaper.

Why on earth would they sell us Saka

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Why on earth would they sell us Saka

For money ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

For money ?

The fans would go ape if they strengthened a rival. They probably don't desperately need the funds aswell.

Found this photo on twitter!

BIKUt5mCcAAV8QM?format=jpg&name=small

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Advertisement

About time. Not even that excited, the saga dragged out so long.

Hope I am wrong but I cant see Sancho being that great! Not a bit excited about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Hope I am wrong but I cant see Sancho being that great! Not a bit excited about it!

your not alone

dont want him at all and vastly over rated player

****ing nuts the money they are spending on him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

zorro2566 wrote: »

It’s possibly a risk in one way and an expensive one too but I’m hopeful he does well. If we can get some consistency in the team selection where Rashford plays on the left and Sancho plays on the right maybe it will work out well for us.

Last season his positions were split between playing on both flanks and sometimes behind Haaland so it’s not like he’s consistently playing on the right wing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Sancho is playing at an incredibly high level for a player who just turned 21. I think how long United have drawn out this deal has made people frustrated and doubt him more. He's an unreal talent.

I am still burned by last summer. So, until I see an agreement announced I am expecting stories saying the exact opposite to appear tomorrow and speculation to continue until collapse in August.

As for whether he is good enough... I hope so. Its a gamble as with every signing - but SURELY the guy we tried to sign before he went to Dortmund, enquired about summer 19, tried to buy summer 20 and maybe do but summer 21 is a guy the club are extremely confident on!

I do also think it would put further pressure on the club re. Pogba.

Would have to imagine the first choice front 3 would be Rashford, Cavani, Sancho - so shoving Rashford right to play pogba left is less likely.

Bruno won't be dropped (and shouldn't be) so a proper decision (and working solution) for the final 2 midfield spots needs to be sorted this summer. If that means Pogba is sold, so be it. fine. don't care. if that means a more defensive player in there beside him (with Bruno playing an 8 rather than second striker...), so be it. fine. It needs fecking sorting though.

Last season his positions were split between playing on both flanks and sometimes behind Haaland so it’s not like he’s consistently playing on the right wing either.

I would also consider that Ole doesn't really want set positions, other than maybe set starting positions. Especially if it is Martial or Greenwood in at forward instead of Cavani.

I would expect a lot of roaming and interchanging from Rashford, Martial/Greenwood, Sancho as all of them have comfort in all 3 positions, and should be able to cause havok with movement.

I would like sancho to offer a more traditional winger threat on the right when needed though, to stretch defences out. We have too many players who want to come in from wide to centre, which allows the defence to bunch up and control the central space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Headshot wrote: »
    your not alone

dont want him at all and vastly over rated player

****ing nuts the money they are spending on him

Well he's seemingly not rated by many...

Unsure why, been amongst the best players in his age bracket the last 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Unsure why, been amongst the best players in his age bracket the last 3 seasons.

I rate him, not as highly as some I would assume but I do rate him.

My concerns regarding Sancho are based around the fact that coming to United in itself is quite a challenge, let alone when you arrive for a monster fee and are going to be expected to fundamentally change how the attack functions, all the while adapting to another country (yes he's English so I don't see it being a huge concern) and a new training regime, nutrition regime, tactical instruction etc etc etc then you add in his age - its a concern.

I am happy to see him added to the squad if it does come off and I will certainly give him plenty of time to settle in and make his mark before judging him, but the media won't, the opposition fans won't and it will take some solid mental strength for him to overcome a poor start.

I rate him as a very good player at his age, but discount the league he plays in a little and the English hype a little. The pressures at Dortmund don't compare to those at United with all the hope and expectation along with that hefty transfer fee, I would hope his character has been fully vetted also to have a good guess at how he will handle the massive increase in his personal financial health.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Sure some lads love the taste of humble pie, not satisfied by the Bruno and Cavani gorging.

• Advertisement

I rate him, not as highly as some I would assume but I do rate him.

My concerns regarding Sancho are based around the fact that coming to United in itself is quite a challenge, let alone when you arrive for a monster fee and are going to be expected to fundamentally change how the attack functions, all the while adapting to another country (yes he's English so I don't see it being a huge concern) and a new training regime, nutrition regime, tactical instruction etc etc etc then you add in his age - its a concern.

I am happy to see him added to the squad if it does come off and I will certainly give him plenty of time to settle in and make his mark before judging him, but the media won't, the opposition fans won't and it will take some solid mental strength for him to overcome a poor start.

I rate him as a very good player at his age, but discount the league he plays in a little and the English hype a little. The pressures at Dortmund don't compare to those at United with all the hope and expectation along with that hefty transfer fee, I would hope his character has been fully vetted also to have a good guess at how he will handle the massive increase in his personal financial health.

You would have to at least admire his determination to succeed by moving to Germany in the 1st place. I reckon if he does sign he will settle in quickly. He's already good mates with the English contingent in the team especially Rashford and Lingard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Surely Pogba will just leave on a free next summer, I cant see any club paying the fee we'd want for him this summer, financially its a no brainer for him too, he'll get a ridiculous signing on fee and wages, his scummy agent will get a crazy fee too and I'm sure he'll advise him to do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Sure some lads love the taste of humble pie, not satisfied by the Bruno and Cavani gorging.

I remember the bizarre backlash against Cavani signing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Bruno dropped for tonight's game vs France. At least he's getting a rest ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

Not a great tournament from a United perspective so far. Current players have generally been middling to poor with prospective targets not going great either!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Exactly wrote: »
    Bruno dropped for tonight's game vs France. At least he's getting a rest ðŸ˜

He hasn't been great in the first two games surprisingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »

Ideally we'll get it completed before August.

billyhead wrote: »
    You would have to at least admire his determination to succeed by moving to Germany in the 1st place. I reckon if he does sign he will settle in quickly. He's already good mates with the English contingent in the team especially Rashford and Lingard.

Absolutely, himself and Bellingham. More young English players should do it I think, fantastic education for them and I agree with you he should settle into the squad fairly easily being English.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ideally we'll get it completed before August.

2021? 2022? 2023?

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Pogba's a fairly handy creative midfielder all the same

That pass from Pogba was sublime. He's done it a couple of times in this game. Apart from that he's anonymous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I asked Kate Upton out a 2nd time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

I asked Kate Upton out a 2nd time

Username checks out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Bruno on. I'd love him to get the winning goal. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

like a new signing will dalot be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

like a new signing will dalot be

I would much prefer to see him compete with AWB rather than 40m being spent on Trippier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

BD : Our price is €95m

Us : €75m

BD : No, our price is €95m

Us : €85m

BD :

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Didn’t see last half hour of French game.....how did Ruben Neves do when he came on?.....was he a bit more adventurous with his passing than Rice has been for England?

Watched Spain’s game.....Pau Torres came on for last ten minutes,Spain coasting at that stage but he put in one very well timed tackle and distributed the ball well a few times using both feet which was nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

BD : Our price is €95m

Us : €75m

BD : No, our price is €95m

Us : €85m

BD :

tenor.gif

Reminds me of the negotiating in Bad Santa

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭ngunners

billyhead wrote: »
    That pass from Pogba was sublime. He's done it a couple of times in this game. Apart from that he's anonymous.

Pogba was far from anonymous in that game:

104 total touches
    97% pass accuracy
    21 passes into the final third
    11 attempted long passes
    9 successful long passes
    4 passes into the box
    3 ball recoveries
    3 chances created
    2 big chances created
    2 shots
    1 assist

Very unlucky not to score a cracker of a goal too. Great save by Patricio to tip the ball onto the woodwork. Pogba was probably man of the match last night and if he continues this form could end up as France’s player of the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

ngunners wrote: »
    Pogba was far from anonymous in that game:

104 total touches
    97% pass accuracy
    21 passes into the final third
    11 attempted long passes
    9 successful long passes
    4 passes into the box
    3 ball recoveries
    3 chances created
    2 big chances created
    2 shots
    1 assist

Very unlucky not to score a cracker of a goal too. Great save by Patricio to tip the ball onto the woodwork. Pogba was probably man of the match last night and if he continues this form could end up as France’s player of the tournament.

A lot of those stats are overlapping.

Watch the game, he had a great chance to score and a few nice long passes but nothing much else. France were poor in the first half, Renato Sanchez appeared to be the dominants midfielder.

You'd expect more from him. Flashes of talent, but nothing more than that.

Only word to describe Pogba is Marmite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

A lot of those stats are overlapping.

Watch the game, he had a great chance to score and a few nice long passes but nothing much else. France were poor in the first half, Renato Sanchez appeared to be the dominants midfielder.

You'd expect more from him. Flashes of talent, but nothing more than that.

It's just mental how you can watch the game last night and say that Pogba was anonymous. He was the best player on the pitch.

The narrative of the man has built to such a point now where a lot of people just find it impossible to objectively analyse his performances. They constantly look for any negative and blow it up.

It's just mental how you can watch the game last night and say that Pogba was anonymous. He was the best player on the pitch.

The narrative of the man has built to such a point now where a lot of people just find it impossible to objectively analyse his performances. They constantly look for any negative and blow it up.

He wasnt.

Im not his biggest fan, I give the guy credit when hes due. He was not the best player on the pitch.

Id counter your point and say many of Pogba fans see a few positives and blow it up. He didnt boss the game, dictate play, (I dont think anyone did), he didnt play bad by any means but he wasnt lighting the game up bar his one chance and a few long passes.

It wasnt a great game. Both teams were poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

He wasnt.

Im not his biggest fan, I give the guy credit when hes due. He was not the best player on the pitch.

Id counter your point and say many of Pogba fans see a few positives and blow it up. He didnt boss the game, dictate play, (I dont think anyone did), he didnt play bad by any means but he wasnt lighting the game up bar his one chance and a few long passes.

It wasnt a great game. Both teams were poor.

If he wasn't the best player on the pitch then he was very close to it. He played very well and has probably been Frances best player thus far. To say he was anonymous is just patently wrong.

I personally wouldn't say it was a bad game either but that's neither here nor there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Exactly wrote: »
    Only word to describe Pogba is Marmite.

Oh I can think of many many other ways to describe him however all of them are in breach of the charter. :pac:

If he wasn't the best player on the pitch then he was very close to it. He played very well and has probably been Frances best player thus far. To say he was anonymous is just patently wrong.

I personally wouldn't say it was a bad game either but that's neither here nor there.

France havent played well all tournament, so thats a low bar no?

The game wasnt great IMO, Id argue it was a game that not many played well (Benzema fed off scraps, Bernardo Silva had a good first half, Renato Sanchez was probably the best midfielder there. Pogba, for me didnt play poor, but he wasnt great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭ngunners

- What did Pogba do last night?
    - Created from deep with several inch-perfect passes that only a handful of players could replicate.
    - Yeah, but apart from that?
    - Nearly scored a wonder goal bar an even better flying save from the goalkeeper.
    - Held onto the ball well when in a few tight situations deep in his own half, allowing France to progress up the field.
    - Worked his socks off to win the ball back and stay in position when France were defending.
    - Was a leader for the team, dictating the pace of the game.
    - Yeah, but apart from that? (Ad nauseum)
    I’m no Pogba fan boy but last night he did everything expected of him and then some.

ngunners wrote: »
    I’m no Pogba fan boy but last night he did everything expected of him and then some.

"expected of him".

Pogba is expected to do everything.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement