Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    For what it’s worth, people who were at the protest are actively denying the “Joel loves the club” part.

Seems that part might have been tacked on by the Red Issue crowd.

https://twitter.com/j1nder7/status/1385166942516953088?s=19

One person. I've seen others who have spoken to people there say ole did say it.

Guess none of us can know, as we weren't there.

1 person on twitter saying it was said (and being backed) isn't fact.
    Just as 1 person on twitter (with a nice Ole banner on his account)saying it wasn't isn't fact either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

One person. I've seen others who have spoken to people there say ole did say it.

Guess none of us can know, as we weren't there.

1 person on twitter saying it was said (and being backed) isn't fact.
    Just as 1 person on twitter (with a nice Ole banner on his account)saying it wasn't isn't fact either.

Sure.

So let’s hold our anger until we get more information on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So Ole can't speak out about the ESL and the crap around it because Joel loves the club.

I guess the City owners don't love the club cause Pep spoke out.
    I guess FSG don't love the club because Klopp spoke out.
    I guess Juve don't love the club cause Pirlo spoke out.
    I guess Milan owners don't love the club cause Maldini spoke out.

Ole saying he cant speak out and criticise the club because Joel loves the club? Nah, thats BS.

Those managers didn't speak out against their owners, they said they weren't supportive of for the super league plans announced.

When Ole was originally asked about it, it had literally just been leaked to the media during the Burnley game. Pep, Klopp and all the others had a day or so to digest, talk to their players , see which way the wind was blowing and prepare a response. I think Ole was thrown under the bus on Sunday to be honest.

Sure.

So let’s hold our anger until we get more information on it?

we're not going to though? Are we?

Ole won't confirm either way - and no one will take what is said on twitter as fact.

So you either believe the people saying it was said or you believe the person saying it wasn't said.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Those managers didn't speak out against their owners, they said they weren't supportive of for the super league plans announced.

When Ole was originally asked about it, it had literally just been leaked to the media during the Burnley game. Pep, Klopp and all the others had a day or so to digest, talk to their players , see which way the wind was blowing and prepare a response. I think Ole was thrown under the bus on Sunday to be honest.

On Sunday yes. Today is Thursday. We've had Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and this morning for Ole to comment on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

find it hard to believe that the ESL plan was agreed without Ed's knowledge and involvement, wasn't he due to have an executive role there as well?

Wait , so Woodward resigned because he was against the Super League ?

Imagine Woodward was like Snape in Harry Potter and he was the hero all along while playing the villian. . :pac:

Twill take alot of convincing to get me to believe that . .

Imagine Woodward was like Snape in Harry Potter and he was the hero all along while playing the villian. . :pac:

If it was true.... he would have resigned prior to it all falling apart. He would have resigned when the clubs signed off on it.

On Sunday yes. Today is Thursday. We've had Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and this morning for Ole to comment on it.

There has been no matches so he hasn't had to address it publicly as far as I can tell. Has he been in interviews ? If not, then there is your answer. Other managers had to be on tv answering questions , they werent setting up interviews to talk about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

What a load of crap. Has someone hacked Linekar's account? He knows well that isn't true.

• Advertisement

There has been no matches so he hasn't had to address it publicly as far as I can tell. Has he been in interviews ? If not, then there is your answer. Other managers had to be on tv answering questions , they werent setting up interviews to talk about it.

What press conference did Luke Shaw speak up in?
    What press conference did KDB speak up in?
    Is Ole incapable of contacting a journalist?
    Is Ole incapable of putting out a statement?

Ole has been quiet on the situation because he has chosen to be, no other reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Been hearing that a lot from opposition fans, fact is Ole doesn't sit in front of the cameras until he's either preparing for a midweek game or else the usual fri presser. Do you think he calls a press conference himself to publicly slate his bosses ?

Pipmae wrote: »
    What a load of crap. Has someone hacked Linekar's account? He knows well that isn't true.

Reading online, Lineker and Woodward are quite chummy. Pictures of them at birthday parties together, reports of constant lunches, etc.

What press conference did Luke Shaw speak up in?
    What press conference did KDB speak up in?
    Is Ole incapable of contacting a journalist?
    Is Ole incapable of putting out a statement?

Ole has been quiet on the situation because he has chosen to be, no other reason.

So players , not managers spoke up outside of press conferences. So what other manager in these clubs went out of their way to speak about it ?

Been hearing that a lot from opposition fans, fact is Ole doesn't sit in front of the cameras until he's either preparing for a midweek game or else the usual fri presser. Do you think he calls a press conference himself to publicly slate his bosses ?

Doesn't need to be a conference. could have just been a statement saying he opposes the idea of a closed shop competition and he will speak to the club to get his views across on the matter.

Does that seem an unreasonable or impossible thing to have happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

He has that PR guy who used to work for the Sun, doesn't he? It's all bullsh1t

So players , not managers spoke up outside of press conferences. So what other manager in these clubs went out of their way to speak about it ?

So it is impossible for Ole to speak up or criticise in any way, according to you. Fair enough. He can only comment on anything during a scheduled press conference and can never criticise any aspect of something United do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Woody must be getting a job with Walkers crisps.

Glazers Out!

So it is impossible for Ole to speak up or criticise in any way, according to you. Fair enough. He can only comment on anything during a scheduled press conference and can never criticise any aspect of something United do.

I never said its impossible, but you were quoting managers who spoke up. I was making the point they were stuck on front of the cameras and had to answer questions. They didnt look to speak up about it, they had to give an opinion one way or another. If Ole is asked about it at the next press conference and side steps it, then you have a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/1385190203028086784?s=20

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

For what it’s worth, people who were at the protest are actively denying the “Joel loves the club” part.

Seems that part might have been tacked on by the Red Issue crowd.

https://twitter.com/j1nder7/status/1385166942516953088?s=19

FWIW, Red Issue are by far the least reliable source of information and least likeable of any of the United fan groups IMHO. I would not trust a word they say.

Them retweeting the Schalke fans attacking their players with a strong arm emoji should tell you everything you need to know about them.

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/1385190203028086784?s=20

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please

Hopefully us, but I would bet on Kronke.

v3ttel wrote: »
    FWIW, Red Issue are by far the least reliable source of information and least likeable of any of the United fan groups IMHO. I would not trust a word they say.

Them retweeting the Schalke fans attacking their players with a strong arm emoji should tell you everything you need to know about them.

Least likable I totally get.

Least reliable I don't get at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Couldn't blame Ole for not speaking out.
    Liverpool and City need Klopp and Pep far more than United need Ole.He'd be out the door faster than you could say " Manager Mike Phelan"
    Also don't agree with the fans turning up at the training ground. Sod all Ole could say to them and I'd be pretty sure current players and potential signings wouldn't be comfortable about irate fans turning up whenever they felt like a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Isn't that the one that some fans pay into to get inside scoop or something hahahaha or am i mixing them up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Sky running with that Woodward resigned caus he was against it story.

If there is any truth in it that we are in for a very hard few years with these owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Sky running with that Woodward resigned caus he was against it story

Which as we all know, that's a god damned fat lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

if woodward resigned for that reason, why did he leave that UEFA/European position at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Lithium93_ wrote: »

When I heard the news first it didn't make sense, only because the news that Woodward was planning to quit at the end of 2021 anyway.

If he was against ESL it makes sense because he knew he would catch the brunt of the backlash for it and he was probably pissed off at Joel for going against his advice and hanging him out to dry so said I'm outta here.

• Advertisement

if woodward resigned for that reason, why did he leave that UEFA/European position at the weekend?

Probably because of the assumption that the European Super League would be launched/accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

If it was true.... he would have resigned prior to it all falling apart. He would have resigned when the clubs signed off on it.

Maybe that's what happened though?

He tendered his resignation when they all signed the documentation and agreed to leave at the end of the year? Then they tried to get him to stay on when it all fell apart and he decided he was sticking with his decision, so they announced it, now that the reason for his resignation was no longer secret or sensitive?

It's a possible scenario and reason why things played out the way they did. I'm not saying that is exactly what happened, as we know Ed is not adverse to leaking his alternate version of events to the press and fans by proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

If Joel Glazer had made the final decision to join the ESL Woodward had no choice but to quit any UEFA/European position. He couldn't possibly sit on that board and go to those meetings when Utd have just broken away to help form a separate league and new football foundation essentially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Because it became untenable only at that point and was an asset to the club to remain on it until the weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I don’t believe for a second that Woodward was against it. This is Neil Ashton working overtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Ed Woodward briefing that Ed Wooward was opposed to the Super League, is the most Ed Woodwardy kind of thing that Ed Woodward could have possibly done.

He really must think people are stupid. In fairness, he's gotten away with absolute murder over the years through meaningless PR briefs and waffle to investors.

If he was opposed to the idea, he wouldn't have resigned the clubs position within the ECA. He would have walked before or directly after the announcement and as soon as the it was made by the clubs, stating he is leaving the club over his opposition to the proposals.

He could have demanded that there was some fan consultation or walked. He could have broken the news to Ole, rather than hanging him out to dry. He could have turned up to that players meeting and said, "I'm as against it as you guys are, you need to talk to Joel Glazers, not me". It's only when it became clear that he called out by Cerefin & that the thing was falling apart, he's realised he would not be welcome back by the PL or UEFA, and that there would be a massive sh*tstorm with the fans, that he's decided to go.

Even if he is actually the good guy in all this, his incompetence has made him look like one of the main villians, which is prime Ed Woodward.

• Advertisement

Ed Woodward briefing that Ed Wooward was opposed to the Super League, is the most Ed Woodwardy kind of thing that Ed Woodward could have possibly done.

He really must think people are stupid. In fairness, he's gotten away with absolute murder over the years through meaningless PR briefs and waffle to investors.

If he was opposed to the idea, he wouldn't have resigned the clubs position within the ECA. He would have walked before or directly after the announcement and as soon as the it was made by the clubs, stating he is leaving the club over his opposition to the proposals.

He could have demanded that there was some fan consultation or walked. He could have broken the news to Ole, rather than hanging him out to dry. He could have turned up to that players meeting and said, "I'm as against it as you guys are, you need to talk to Joel Glazers, not me". It's only when it became clear that he called out by Cerefin & that the thing was falling apart, he's realised he would not be welcome back by the PL or UEFA, and that there would be a massive sh*tstorm with the fans, that he's decided to go.

Even if he is actually the good guy in all this, his incompetence has made him look like one of the main villians, which is prime Ed Woodward.

giphy.gif

Whatever happens when the dust has settled on this absolute fiasco, Ed Woodward cannot, under any circumstances be given a redemption story.

He's made his bed, now he's got to sleep in it.

If I resigned in protest of something, I wouldn't resign but stay round for another 8 months.

That, to me, screams more "You're going to be our fallguy, Ed, but we want you to hang round long enough to organize a few things first."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

To be fair Klopp and Pep had games, that's the only reason they were in front of camera's. I agree with your sentiment though.

again, there was talk on Red Issue a month or so back that Woodward was going to be leaving (they were saying summer)
    I saw one of the RI regulars post this about Woodward a couple of weeks ago on Twitter, but it was on RI a bit before that.

Could be coincidence, but would (to me) indicate that Woodward didn't decide to resign on Tuesday, but did decide to announce he was leaving on Tuesday, which is what the original story was (that he was leaving anyway and wasn't to do with the ESL farce). I do think the announcement was due to the ESL farce, but wouldn't buy his resignation was a stand on principle he dicided on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Probably better Ole didn't come out babbling like a lunatic the way Klopp did in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Issue is really down to a player can not and will not be sacked for speaking out against his club a manager can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Hard to know at times with RI.

See quotes of them saying Ole defending the owner, and that Deano and Bailly showed them support.

Same time they go off on one saying the facilities manager had a scouse accent and referring to him as “the scouser”.

Claiming they have no recordings as a part of the deal for Ole to meet them, while some other fans are claiming they were there and red issue is lying.

Who knows what exactly happened. Be interesting to see Ole’s next press conference. Like we’re seeing all the big 6, no one will make the move to go after the owner. It would be unlikely but be something else if one did.

Wonder how he speaks on Woodward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The types of people to show up to a training ground demanding answers on a Thursday morning might not be the most believable group and would be liable to make something up for attention purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

They asked Ole why he was able to speak out about Glazer takeover in 2005 and quiet now...

"Joel loves the club".

Get ye gone, Ole.

This lad was there and retweeted the Red Issue tweet, so I'm guessing there's some truth to it. Not that he can really come out and say they're ****e owners or anything

https://twitter.com/Sully20x/status/1385160087828848641

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

They asked Ole why he was able to speak out about Glazer takeover in 2005 and quiet now...

"Joel loves the club".

Get ye gone, Ole.

TTPymW6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im not saying these Ed Woodward stories are true, but I think it's unlikely he resigned over not being able to support the ESL plans.

Its possible this story is true, I just think its unlikely.

xtal191 wrote: »
    This lad was there and retweeted the Red Issue tweet, so I'm guessing there's some truth to it. Not that he can really come out and say they're ****e owners or anything

https://twitter.com/Sully20x/status/1385160087828848641

https://twitter.com/Dodd__15/status/1385259508684017674

another who says they were there and that ole did say 'Joel loves the club'.

the fella went on to say this about Ole too:

https://twitter.com/Dodd__15/status/1385261191409319940

https://twitter.com/Dodd__15/status/1385261830751375366

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Gotta love the world we live in... People reading into / reacting so much to some random lads twitter feed, who is probably creaming himself with his 15 minutes.

Sometimes players and managers say exactly what's on their mind. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they say something and think another.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

PARlance wrote: »
    Gotta love the world we live in... People reading into / reacting so much to some random lads twitter feed, who is probably creaming himself with his 15 minutes.

Sometimes players and managers say exactly what's on their mind. Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they say something and think another.

Exactly, its a non story. No manager worth his salt is going to come out in public and attack the owners unless he wants to get redundancy payment.
    Even if he did, what good would it do except win some brownies points with some fans while putting a target on his back that he get the sack at the next opportunity.
    Plus why would any other club/organisation rehire him if they cant trust him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement