Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,469 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

And as if the reason the likes of Antony and Casemiro not performing is some sort of grand plan to get the manager sacked.

Sure Lindelof and Dalot have been through all these managers, it must be them pulling the strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Top 4 is a minimum expectation. 5th by a point isn't acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

I would say they're seeing a lot more problems to sort out behind the scenes than focusing on the manager. There isn't a stand out replacement so they're happy with the managerial status quo. Could mean we'll sacrifice this coming season but I'll accept this if it means the club is sound going forward

8th has been accepted with no repercussions. Also likely 5th gets CL this season so that will be used if they scrape in there.

Given the 2nd half of last season I don't see how anyone can really think the level will suddenly rise above any of the teams that finished above them. Still going to be relying on 2 teenagers and a raw misfiring striker to be main players in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭FrankN1

That's without this transfer window. Of course INEOS are expecting a lot more this season. Hence a one year extension and not 5 year deal for TH.

We definitely can't be any worse than last season. Surely 15 points more which will have is comfortably in top 4.

The last 10 years have made me think that they definitely can be worse. Hopefully not in terms of performance as they were in the bottom half when you look at where those should have led to, but a swing lower in points they gained from fortunate occurrences is not out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

https://x.com/Dan_Sheldon_/status/1808839703883383279?s=19

Director of Global Talent.

Weird title.

Wonder does it point to him moving “up" to an ineos sports role over recruitment, including United, after the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭waywill1966

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Same thoughts I had when reading it really. Just seems like a bit of smoke and mirrors, lip service without anything of substance changing ultimately after undermining him.

Man is on borrowed time.

Edit - reinforced now given it is actually just triggering the extension I see on my lunchtime catch up

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

On my phone, couldn't be arsed navigating that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Southgate leaves England this summer.

We are shite and ETH gets sacked in November.

Southgate takes over……

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The key is he is damaged goods though. Everyone and their dog knows Utd want out of this situation.
    It's a buyer's market.

If 20m is the best offer we get it's what we get. We aren't selling a high-potential player we don't want to lose here.
    We are trying to get a problem off our books.

It's unfortunate but the reality of the situation.
    20m does allow us room of ~80m to bring in a new player AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Not particularly worried about the fee we get for MG, once there is a hefty sell on clause in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

wouldn't be at all surprised if in tiny writing there is a buy back option too….

the first offer from Lazio, that we rejected, was 20m (euro) and a 50% sell on, apparently.
    United want closer to 30m according to the same reports. I'd guess, between them and Marseille we might get to 25m + a good sell on %.

And if/when Greenwood is sold on, his value likely will be higher because it might not be 'this guy will never play for us again, please buy him'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

That would be the smart move. If he plays out in Italy for 1/2 season and really gets his game back on track there will always be a club who will come back in for an Elite level footballer.

Chelsea could be buying him for 100m down the line for example. We need to make sure we are getting some of that

I can't see an English club buying him in the future after last years back lash.

Extending Evans is a no brainer to me, he's happy to be a back up and is reliable when called up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Especially one with as strong a women's team as Chelsea's. The opposition would be huge. I'd say you're right, and the bulk of his career will be spent abroad.

New GK coach incoming....Ex Ajax to none of our surprises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,768 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Friday Fart

DAILY MIRROR

Erik ten Hag will retain the final say on all Manchester United transfers despite the arrivals of Dan Ashworth and Jason Wilcox to head up their recruitment team.

METRO

Manchester United are considering a move to bring Sergio Reguilon back to the club with the defender entering the final year of his contract at Tottenham.

THE ATHLETIC

Manchester United are set to bring in a new goalkeeping coach with Burnley's Jelle ten Rouwelaar ready to move to Old Trafford to work under fellow Dutchman Erik ten Hag.

MANCHESTER EVENING NEWS

Manchester United are closing on a deal to sign Slovakia U17 star Samuel Lusale from fellow Premier League side Crystal Palace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭GolfPar

Nothing too inspiring in that lot of headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I don't see anything in that reguilon story, we'd have kept him otherwise last season, he didn't exactly set the world alight either. We are definitely looking for someone younger

I like the idea of us being in for that Lusale chap, united need to be snapping up young premier league talent again

Lads its all rumours I post for fun, I wouldn't believe 90% of them.

Rashford looking to hit the ground running is good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭kyleman

How many times have we been down this road .

Top players want to hit the ground running every year as career is short enough anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Well, he's hardly going to say he's going to fart about like last season, doing sod all and looking like a sulking 15 yr old.

Its on the pitch and ONLY on the the pitch that matters. If he worked his ass off and got 12-15 goals and similar assists this season, I'd be delighted with Rashford.

Jesus Christ…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

£400k per week doesn't come with much expectation it seems

• Advertisement

rashford suns himself - why isn't he getting himself fit.

rashford works on fitness - ffs, so what.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

People are going to react to what they see as PR spin negatively.

A professional footballer resting for a time post season is normal. A player getting ready for the season during their break is normal. Neither deserve scrutiny or praise and it is a pity people like Rashford get such strong reaction to normal things.

In this case we have a specific story about something that should be normal treated as something to be positive. I have no idea if Rashford or his PR people want a story out right now but a guy with the experience that Winter has should be doing a lot better imo.

The story and timing is doing Rashford a disservice. For Winter to pontificate that now is the 'time to discuss Marcus Rashford. As England head into a quarter-final of the European Championship, what has happened to a player who helped them qualify for the tournament', is not at all helpful to Rashford who is one of the most high profile English players but not playing.

The time to talk about Rashford is next season after he gets started, this type of story just increases expectations on his start and setting him up for even more scrutiny and more questions.

It would be a lot better for Rashford if things stayed quiet for him imo.

Licha goal from last night.

I really hope for the love of God he stays injury free!

I only said it's good to see because he was accused (by myself a lot I might add) of being lazy and uninterested last season, coming back a little early and sounding motivated is what we all want to see, he could easily drop the head after losing his place in the England squad so it's good to see him motivated and more importantly rested! Yes its PR spin but as Mitch said if he posted on Insta of him on the beach people would have a go at him.

I can't confirm this as I don't have X/Insta but a few people have said he's been quiet on social media this summer? The less social media the better imo, less negativity to read which can obviously affect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Coming back early is not expected. Getting supremely fit during the off season is not expected.

Whilst maintaining a level of fitness is expected - preseason is where it's expected.

How that story can get people riled up is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

It's a PR puff piece. I'd be more upset at Rashfords "team" than the guy himself that they felt they needed to get this out there

Apart from the meals stuff, Rashford pr and relationship with the press is or has been pretty horrific. Mitten is very critical of the fact he basically doesn't know Rashford at all. Now, you can take that selfishly, but I think it's also an element of the press in general having little love for Rashford cause he basically doesn't engage.

Its well past the point him or his team could or should have been working with media, if only to counter the negative briefs that attack him in the first place.

I think he hired a pr person earlier this year, and this may be evidence of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I have no issue with Rashford pushing the story that he's fired up and raring to go, but the issue is that he comes across as turning over a new leaf, starting a new chapter etc. So if/when the inevitable half arsed lazy performances start it just makes him look even worse.

Like last season when he spoke to the media blasting people for questioning his commitment and then a month later he puts in the infamous viral "pressing" performance against Chelsea.

I don't want to hear how he's putting in the effort, I want to see how he's putting in the effort.

He has started back early and worked on his fitness, surely that's putting in effort?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

On the pitch is where I want to see his effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Jofspring

He had pictures up last year of himself back early also, trying to get fitter and working out in the gym. Look how that turned out.

So if we had bid for, abd agreed a deal for Todibo in March we could have signed him.

Training pitch not count? 🤣 Sorry couldn't help myself. I do understand that alright 👍️

• Advertisement

It was the same when he did the interview where he actually felt the need to say that he doesn't make as much money as is reported and still it's repeated every time there is an argument involving him.

I've seen Foden and Saka not chasing back a lot in the last couple of weeks. It's their attacking output that has been criticised a lot rather than their willingness to wind up behind the ball and wind up at right back or left back.

By all means criticise Rashford for his bad season going forward last season, this narrative that he needs to run around wildly to be useful is folly imo. Better coaching and he would have been part of a more effective press. I didn't see much of a problem with that in the big games against Liverpool and City that saved Ten Hag his job. I think his own attitude was shocking at times too and he can definitely improve on that.

He has work to do and it's a shame that there is the need for this type of social media spin but given the tea lady leaving would probably get an airing from Laurie Whitwell these days how can anyone be mad at something like that?

I'm a big defender of him - but when you have examples like Ross Barkley litterly walking around him it is (1) very easy to attack him over it and (2) very hard to defend him! I can see why people moan about it. I don't agree with their conclusions, but I can see where the criticism is coming from.

I actually do think in large part he is instructed not to track back - so that he would be available as the out ball and already be beyond one of the defenders. But I also think he is bad at pressing (as well as our pressing structure being poor, meaning even good pressers are easily bypassed) and there are occassions where even accounting for instruction his lack of defensive effort should be considered poor. His body language for much of last season stank. And while body language isn't really a decisive factor, its just another easy thing to attack and hard to defend.

I do think you are right in terms of if he had been scoring the defensive effort wouldn't be whinged about - but if you have a player that could be considered a 'luxury' player, their output has to earn it - and Rashford didn't earn it with his output last season. He absolutely did the previous season.

I think and hope we see a return to form for him this season. I think a summer of rest will do him a world of good. I think if we sign Zirkzee (and start him) that both Bruno and Rashford will improve as what they want to do will be complimented by Zirkzee. But then again, if it fails to click for him in the opening 5 games or so, I could see his confidence just not recovering and his game going to sh again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So basically Rashford has done a review, and now has big plans.

The perfect United player.

I agree with all of that.

The Barkley thing was strange, the only thing I can think of is that he has the 2 players there once Barkley takes it around him because he is initially covering him across until Barkley turns back inside. He doesn't want to stick the leg across Barkley. To just give up looks particularly bad though I agree and it wasn't an isolated incident so hard to defend on that front.

Getting him back playing well is the easiest way of making a difference to the attack though and even when he was playing bad he was still creating the most shooting opportunities for himself out of all the attackers because he simply has attributes very few do.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement