Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

Liam O wrote: »
    Probably better Ole didn't come out babbling like a lunatic the way Klopp did in fairness.

Yeah Ole did the right thing not coming out against it at all and just saying no comment. At least Klopp had the balls to say something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Exactly, its a non story. No manager worth his salt is going to come out in public and attack the owners unless he wants to get redundancy payment.
    Even if he did, what good would it do except win some brownies points with some fans while putting a target on his back that he get the sack at the next opportunity.
    Plus why would any other club/organisation rehire him if they cant trust him.

As someone pointed out earlier, what would you expect him to say? Film himself walking into the boardroom and giving Joel Glazer a stone cold stunner?

Ole feels that he's moving the club in the right direction (which he absolutely has), even with the Glazers. Recruitment is better. The squad is better. Individual players are developing. Young players are improving. The conversation has moved from "will we finish top 4" to closing the gap to 1st. There has definitely been a cultural reset, no matter what you think about Ole's tactics. This is the best era since Fergie, and hopefully a Europa League win would 100% confirm that.

Even if Ole doesn't go on and win a trophy, the club will be better for his time in charge. It feels like he's moved us in the right direction.

FWIW, Patrice Evra did say on the day of the Spurs game that he felt Joel Glazer genuinely loves the club - and Evra is free and able to speak his mind as we know. Again, we can think what we want about Glazer and what the facts are of the Glazers ownership. As the manager of United, coming out against the owner would be incredibly, incredibly moronic unless you felt you had no other choice and could not make any progress. It achieves very little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Yeah Ole did the right thing not coming out against it at all and just saying no comment. At least Klopp had the balls to say something.

Nothing was announced when Ole spoke. He wasn't informed, much like Klopp said he only knew as much as was in the announcement when questioned. None of the managers were consulted.

Klopp spoke well before the match, stated he was against it. That was all great.

What was stupid was to call out Gary Neville after the match, when it was clear they were both on the same side. Neville was criticising Henry, not the club (the real club - fans, players, manager - not the current owners). Just glad it didn't turn into a pissing match between Klopp/Neville when everyone was on the same side and unity was definitely required between both fanbases. I think Klopp just misunderstood the point..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Wait a minute.... is Ed Woodward the good guy now? I haven’t been this confused since the ending of the sopranos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

kerplun k wrote: »
    Wait a minute.... is Ed Woodward the good guy now? I haven’t been this confused since the ending of the sopranos.

I am not optimistic about his replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

It will be Richard Arnold. A like for like replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Yes, could be very much a case of better the devil you know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Yes, could be very much a case of better the devil you know.

You can guarantee that if the Glazers don't intend to sell up it will be another yes man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I for one was ****ing delighted to see the storming of carrington

Keep the pressure on, pity there's no fans allowed at Old Trafford yet

So apparently Woodward had a meeting with Boris Johnson 4 days before announcement of ESL.

Miguel Delaney reporting on it. Sounds shady.

Exactly wrote: »
    So apparently Woodward had a meeting with Boris Johnson 4 days before announcement of ESL.

BJ doing some dodgy?

That bastion of honesty and integrity? I dont believe it for a second!!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Exactly wrote: »

Headshot wrote: »
    BJ doing some dodgy?

Boris Johnson & dodgy in the same sentence?

2nKT.gif

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

BJ doing some dodgy?

Hey......

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hey......

God i was really really sarcastic :D

I ****ing hate that snake in the grass BJ, some day he'll get what he deserves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

God i was really really sarcastic :D

I ****ing hate that snake in the grass BJ, some day he'll get what he deserves

Swing and a miss:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

One of the Italian papers linking us with Ronaldo who is 'willing to take a wage cut'...
    Richard Arnold the papers favourite to replace Woodward.

On Ronaldo, I have said previously that if we assume we are not signing Haaland or Kane, Ronaldo effectively as a replacement for Cavani makes sense. It would be short term, but not an insane deal. Depending on wages/fee I suppose.

On Arnold for CEO.... would be the predictable appointment from the Glazers. Close to woodward, has the role Woodward had before he became CEO. But I think Woodward had that role to have him in place to replace Gill. I don't think Arnold was placed in the same manner. It could also tie in to whether the club is up for sale. The Glazers won't bother with an extensive search if they are selling, so Arnold (or another internal appointment) makes the most sense.

I think a change in philosophy at CEO level, or bringing in an outsider, would only come with a change in ownership.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Wonderful to see the great man in such good form.

https://twitter.com/ScotlandNT/status/1385148618844246019?s=19

I know it is about Scotland but a nice reminder what the game is about and the great joy it can bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

You'd prefer Joel Glazer to make the choice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Woodward be like

tenor.gif

And then he will end up choosing himself

ks6FYxw.gif?noredirect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

One of the Italian papers linking us with Ronaldo who is 'willing to take a wage cut'...
    Richard Arnold the papers favourite to replace Woodward.

On Ronaldo, I have said previously that if we assume we are not signing Haaland or Kane, Ronaldo effectively as a replacement for Cavani makes sense. It would be short term, but not an insane deal. Depending on wages/fee I suppose.

On Arnold for CEO.... would be the predictable appointment from the Glazers. Close to woodward, has the role Woodward had before he became CEO. But I think Woodward had that role to have him in place to replace Gill. I don't think Arnold was placed in the same manner. It could also tie in to whether the club is up for sale. The Glazers won't bother with an extensive search if they are selling, so Arnold (or another internal appointment) makes the most sense.

I think a change in philosophy at CEO level, or bringing in an outsider, would only come with a change in ownership.

Ronaldo looks great on paper as a type of Ibra/Cavani type signing. But the team has changed a lot and runs a lot. It's noticeable when Martial is on and isn't pressing like Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani, McT, Fred etc. We would have to accept that with Ronaldo and I feel like that would create a change in how the team works. I'm not sure that I like that. But, he woukd guarantee 25/30 goals probs so I dunno

Ronaldo looks great on paper as a type of Ibra/Cavani type signing. But the team has changed a lot and runs a lot. It's noticeable when Martial is on and isn't pressing like Rashford, Greenwood, Cavani, McT, Fred etc. We would have to accept that with Ronaldo and I feel like that would create a change in how the team works. I'm not sure that I like that. But, he woukd guarantee 25/30 goals probs so I dunno

I think the bigger issue with Martial as opposed to Cavani is movement rather than workrate - Ronaldo's attacking movement and instinct would be far higher than Martial, and while we might miss the pressing, we'd have a much better focal point for the attack than Martial.

But I get what you are saying - bringing in a more 'luxury' striker would impact the way we press and defend, which could have worse consequences down the line.

I may be being way to simplistic on it.

I don't think we are getting Haaland or Kane, and it looks like Cavani will be moving on.
    We also need signings in other positions, imo, as well as striker.

So if Ronaldo can be got for a relatively low fee (25m being speculated) then it might allow us to bring him in, and sign at least one other key player for another position.

Signing Ronalo though could mean Martial is off - as Ronaldo woulnd't be the squad signing Cavani was. So signing Ronaldo could still mean we need to sign another squad striker, and then be right back in teh same position next summer of having to buy a 'star' striker.

I'm not saying Ronaldo is the perfect solution, but on paper I could see sense in it. Ronaldo and Rice for example, would be two good pick ups.

I also think if we did manage to sign Haaland or Kane, we'd sign no one else, which creates a different problem (and part of the reason I think we sign neither)

So if Ronaldo can be got for a relatively low fee (25m being speculated) then it might allow us to bring him in, and sign at least one other key player for another position.

I don't see how there can be any fee for Ronaldo, taking on his wages would be enough (even with a pay-cut)

I don't see how there can be any fee for Ronaldo, taking on his wages would be enough (even with a pay-cut)

they need 25million for him, for it to be an accounting profit which they need. or at least that is how the story goes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Jamie Jackson reporting that Woodward only found out about the ESL on Saturday and had been intending to stay as Exec Vice Chairman until 2026.

Now I don't believe him, but that's what's being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Jamie Jackson reporting that Woodward only found out about the ESL on Saturday and had been intending to stay as Exec Vice Chairman until 2026.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ornw2nirsyb1c8r6kvw1iff3khxjn7e1iy27pfl5&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Who's Woodward trying to fool here with the briefing (spinning) of him not finding out about the ESL until last Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

If Woodward told me the sky was blue, I'd have to double check.

Fwiw, James Ducker doesn't believe it either.

https://twitter.com/TelegraphDucker/status/1385333840349106176?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

There is a reason United started to employ Neil Ashton, its stuff like this..

There is also a reason that Neil Ashton worked for the Sun..

People see through his bull time and time again..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

A guy at Norwich apparently in the running to replace Woodward ? Didn't catch the name, discussion on TalkSport just about 5 min ago.
    Edit
    Stuart Webber is the guy being mentioned.

secman wrote: »
    A guy at Norwich apparently in the running to replace Woodward ? Didn't catch the name, discussion on TalkSport just about 5 min ago.

Someone from Southampton too..

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1385571281685426176

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Why are so many determined to believe that Woodward was involved in the ESL despite all the reports coming out the past few days that he was against it? It reminds me of the end of the summer transfer window when so many were blaming Woodward for failing to sign Sancho even though there was plenty of sources stating that right up until the end Woodward and OGS were doing everything they could to try and get the Glazers to release the extra funds needed to complete the signing.

And if Woodward was involved in the setting up of the ESL, how would he even be able to keep that information private? 12 clubs were involved in setting up the ESL. So do people think that all the individuals that was involved from each of those other 11 clubs are going to keep quiet about Ed Woodward being involved so that he can try to be the good guy in all this while the rest of them get slaughtered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

secman wrote: »

he's got the sport background:

0_IM-ALAN-PARTRIDGE-NEW-SERIES.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

DHHLPw.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Why are so many determined to believe that Woodward was involved in the ESL despite all the reports coming out the past few days that he was against it?

You would have to suspend your disbelief to think that Woodward knew nothing about it. If you think Joel Glazer moved on his own that fair enough but doesn't make any sense.

The reports coming out after the fact is trademark PR rubbish that very few are buying.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12284728/ole-im-glad-esl-failed-despite-good-relations-with-glazers

Just reading some of Ole's comments there on the whole thing. Seems to have got the balance right for me, on disagreeing strongly with what happened and not setting himself up to be replaced.

Expecting him to go to war with the owners over this, or anything else is unreasonable imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12284728/ole-im-glad-esl-failed-despite-good-relations-with-glazers

Just reading some of Ole's comments there on the whole thing. Seems to have got the balance right for me, on disagreeing strongly with what happened and not setting himself up to be replaced.

Expecting him to go to war with the owners over this, or anything else is unreasonable imo.

Agree with you 100%.

Voiced his dislike of the idea, praised the fans, then said he was thankful all the Premier League clubs changed their decision after the bad feedback.

Couldn't really expect more. It's all well and good us wanting him to have a go at the owners but they're the ones giving him the job. His dream job at that. Obviously if he speaks out against them publicly then his job is under threat and it derails the push to the end of the season a bit also.

For all our dislike of them he may get on well with them, or just make it work with them. Either way I don't think we could expect any more in terms comments regarding it.

Leeds clash will be an interesting one, no doubt it will be a fiery affair, again, would have loved to see what it would be like with fans in the stands but I have no doubt there will be fans around the stadium.

• Advertisement

Sky Sports reporting another Premier League Chief Executive saying that Woodward was involved from day 1. Makes perfect sense to be honest. Why try and deny he was when other clubs will obviously have known who was involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

I think Ole is handling it all fairly well but its def a lot easier to come out against the ESL when its gone to ****e

Anyway it looks like someone we've been linked to might be going to Everton

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1385498618203942912

Will be interesting to see what he goes for. Have seen 35m plus quoted. If we sign a RB, it will be someone to play a Telles role rather than be immediate first choice. Considering we have other things to sort that we do need to be first choices, that money on a competition signing at best would be undoable, imo.

Will be interesting to see what he goes for. Have seen 35m plus quoted. If we sign a RB, it will be someone to play a Telles role rather than be immediate first choice. Considering we have other things to sort that we do need to be first choices, that money on a competition signing at best would be undoable, imo.

It just shows the difficulty of team and squad building. AWB has definitely improved the team and defense but at a huge cost and he would arguably need replacing if we want to become more fluent in attack.

Max Aarons may be the better long-term solution at right back, but he is not exactly cheap either and was not really ready to step-up in the way AWB was two seasons ago and we really needed a right back then.

There is an opportunity cost to each decision, especially when dealing with a somewhat limited and tightly controlled budget such as United's.

I really like and admire AWB, but would at the same time prefer a more accomplished, skilled and composed right back, but as you said it's a fair way down the snag list. It is on the list, however, and probably needs to be addressed at some point.

I really like and admire AWB, but would at the same time prefer a more accomplished, skilled and composed right back, but as you said it's a fair way down the snag list. It is on the list, however, and probably needs to be addressed at some point.

i'd still like to see a proper winger in front of him and see how that would impact things. Too often he is attacking the flank on his own. Someone to overlap or take players away would give him more space. I think his delivery is actually quite good.

The alternative view is also that being so good defensively means not having a right winger out there supporting him defensively isn't a game breaker and we can have a player with a more central or free role in the right side spot.

One thing I have wondered about, especially when we try to play with wing backs.... is Dan James. When we need the attacking outlet on the wing rather than wanting it to be a back 5, would Dan James be worth a shout? He works hard both directions and his pace starting from deep would be a big asset in transition.

Henderson
    Lindelof----Maguire---Shaw
    James
    Telles
    McTominay-Pogba
    Bruno
    Greenwood--Rashford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-56864731

Ryan Giggs charged with assaulting two women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

i'd still like to see a proper winger in front of him and see how that would impact things. Too often he is attacking the flank on his own. Someone to overlap or take players away would give him more space. I think his delivery is actually quite good.

The alternative view is also that being so good defensively means not having a right winger out there supporting him defensively isn't a game breaker and we can have a player with a more central or free role in the right side spot.

Shaw and AWB being defensive first full backs means that others don't have to do as much in front of them for sure. I think the team struggles when this happens and neither of the 2 deep midfielders are providing an option. Shaw becoming more of an offensive threat this season has helped with this. They are quite close to a decent system but shoehorning certain players is still a problem. Just play players in their best positions and if someone is better than them make them sit on the bench.

Liam O wrote: »
    Shaw and AWB being defensive first full backs means that others don't have to do as much in front of them for sure. I think the team struggles when this happens and neither of the 2 deep midfielders are providing an option. Shaw becoming more of an offensive threat this season has helped with this. They are quite close to a decent system but shoehorning certain players is still a problem. Just play players in their best positions and if someone is better than them make them sit on the bench.

imo:
    This Line:
    think the team struggles when this happens and neither of the 2 deep midfielders are providing an option
    leads to
    shoehorning certain players

This is true and we do need to see this before deciding he's definitely not the long-term answer.

I'm still banging the Sancho drum, but that doesn't seem so popular in here. I think they could work really well together and as you said AWB's defensive prowess would allow Sancho or A.N. other free license to press and roam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I firmly believe he's the weakest part of the team. I'll accept that he has lacked a proper right winger in front of him but it's his ability on the ball which really let's him down.

Burnley again last weekend identified that he was a weakness and forced the ball to him. Nearly every team does to be fair now.

However, I believe that a proper holding midfielder should be our number 1 priority in the summer but at 35m I think Aarons is definitely worth a look. I'm hoping Lingard can be used as part of a deal for Rice.

I'm actually worried about this summer now. If Glazers are even half thinking of selling up then I can't see the cheque book coming out of the drawer for any major investment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement