Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

This is true and we do need to see this before deciding he's definitely not the long-term answer.

I'm still banging the Sancho drum, but that doesn't seem so popular in here. I think they could work really well together and as you said AWB's defensive prowess would allow Sancho or A.N. other free license to press and roam.

exactly my thinking on Sancho.
    I do think we need to sign a RB - and we need a more offensive one to offer a different style to AWB.
    There is a lot of talk of Trippier coming back to England - I think, at the right price, he would be a good signing similar to to Telles. He is one we have been linked to a lot as well.

I'm actually worried about this summer now. If Glazers are even half thinking of selling up then I can't see the cheque book coming out of the drawer for any major investment.

This arguement doesn't make sense to me.

The Glazers have never put their hand in their own pockets to fund a signing.

If United push the boat out for players this summer it will be United paying it back. Either via agreed payments to the other team or by agreed payments on the credit line with a bank.

Thinking about it logically - if United don't do some level of major investment in the summer then you will have a problem on your hands in the league and (hopefully) CL next season. declining performances in those competitions will devalue the club and that would hurt the Glazers.

If they make/allow some level of major investment it costs them nothing personally and has the potential to increase the value of the club.

And while i have said I reckon the Glazers could be gone by the end of the year, it is very possible that even if they do want to sell that they will wait til the financial reports of the club are inclusive of full match day revenues with full match day attendances, cause that will see better financial results and a higher valuation.

I just can't see the logic in the Glazers not allowing the club to invest - if anything they could be more extravegent cause it isn't their problem down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-56864731

Ryan Giggs charged with assaulting two women

Loved giggsy as a player - one of our all time greats

number 11 on the wing he was some man

scored some unreal goals over the years.

He was one of the players I wanted to be but hadn’t an arses roar of a chance of his god given talent

Sir Alec said giggsy would cause defenders to get twisted blood haha

But as much as I liked him as a player I have always felt there was something not right about him personality wise.

Something off

Especially all the different issues with women that he has had. A bad apple as they say.

He’s on his own now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

imo:
    This Line:

leads to

I don't. The 2 deep midfielders are needed for the stability of the formation and this works well for the most part but the extra threat when they get forward is huge. McTominay has added it more and more to his game and I think Fred is better than he's shown around the box. When they play together it works, any other combination seems to run into a lot of trouble.

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't. The 2 deep midfielders are needed for the stability of the formation and this works well for the most part but the extra threat when they get forward is huge. McTominay has added it more and more to his game and I think Fred is better than he's shown around the box. When they play together it works, any other combination seems to run into a lot of trouble.

imo when they play together against teams we are worse than, and they are running a midfield battle, they are the better option and do well.

When they play together (or either with Matic too) and we are the dominant side they are nowhere near good enough as a pair for what we need. our ball progression from defense with those two in midfield in the first half vs burnley was predictably awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Loved giggsy as a player - one of our all time greats

number 11 on the wing he was some man

scored some unreal goals over the years.

He was one of the players I wanted to be but hadn’t an arses roar of a chance of his god given talent

Sir Alec said giggsy would cause defenders to get twisted blood haha

But as much as I liked him as a player I have always felt there was something not right about him personality wise.

Something off

Especially all the different issues with women that he has had. A bad apple as they say.

He’s on his own now.

What made you think something was off about him ? I
    Unusually pick up on it when people are a bit creepy/ a tad sociopathic but I didn’t see it with Giggs.

But that’s Giggs done professionally. He won’t even be able to do after dinner speaches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

The Red Knights have returned...

The Red Knights have returned...

Not one of those demands will be taken as reasonable. and they know that.

It can be entered as a submission as part of a review into football ownership/regulation in the UK though, which I suspect is the actual goal of this.

Cause there is no way anyone could think Glazers will say yes to any of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I've come around to thinking that this window may actually be a good one.

The Glazers only care about the superficial market value of the club. They always want to keep the club in the CL as that earns them more money as the club looks succesful to someone looking in. (While letting Old Trafford fall apart as that isn't something that provides the same superficial value.)

We remember when we signed Ighalo there was some weird press release that boasted about the number of retweets the signing got.

I could see a push for Haaland maybe. He'd tick most boxes re. Media/Marketing presence and make the club look attractive for investors and while expensive given his age he will only appreciate in value rather than depreciate so could be sold to recoup whatever expenditure was needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

pjohnson wrote: »
    I've come around to thinking that this window may actually be a good one.

The Glazers only care about the superficial market value of the club. They always want to keep the club in the CL as that earns them more money as the club looks succesful to someone looking in. (While letting Old Trafford fall apart as that isn't something that provides the same superficial value.)

We remember when we signed Ighalo there was some weird press release that boasted about the number of retweets the signing got.

I could see a push for Haaland maybe. He'd tick most boxes re. Media/Marketing presence and make the club look attractive for investors and while expensive given his age he will only appreciate in value rather than depreciate so could be sold to recoup whatever expenditure was needed.

Don't get your hopes up anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I firmly believe he's the weakest part of the team. I'll accept that he has lacked a proper right winger in front of him but it's his ability on the ball which really let's him down.

Burnley again last weekend identified that he was a weakness and forced the ball to him. Nearly every team does to be fair now.
    I think while many teams target him, and Burnley most certainly did at the weekend, he has improved dramatically over the past few months imo. I thought he did well against Burnley.

I'm maybe overly optimistic but I'd be seeing if we can get by with AWB until Laird is in a position to compete for that space as their contrasting strengths and weaknesses could really compliment each other in our squad.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I think while many teams target him, and Burnley most certainly did at the weekend, he has improved dramatically over the past few months imo. I thought he did well against Burnley.

I'm maybe overly optimistic but I'd be seeing if we can get by with AWB until Laird is in a position to compete for that space as their contrasting strengths and weaknesses could really compliment each other in our squad.

Isn’t it mad to think of us “getting by” with a £50m fullback?!

Personally, I think he’s top-class.

Isn’t it mad to think of us “getting by” with a £50m fullback?!

Personally, I think he’s top-class.
    I probably could have phrased that a bit better as it was supposed to be somewhat of a compliment. I'd be happy to accept AWBs limitations going forward and on the ball as I see this area of his game improving with time and we may have someone on the books who can be a rotation option in the not too distant future when we need that extra bit of creativity from that position.

On the flip side, while I am a fan of Fred,
    I'm not too happy to accept his limitations going forward and on the ball and I think that's where the upgrade is needed more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Shoretire (double) and Amad (free kick) on the scoresheet for the 23s tonight in a 4-2 win against Chelsea. Big turnaround as I think Chelsea hammered them in December.

Shoretire, Amad and Mejbri have bags of talent. Hopefully they will be the next ones through and can get some regular first team games. Surely Amad will be head of that queue after the money he cost, but it's good there are quite a few prospects.

Laird seems to be playing regularly and doing well at MK Dons and Garner seems to be going well at Forrest too. Pity Mengi was injured with Derby. It'll be interesting to see what happens with them next season.

Also be interesting to see what happens with Axel. He can't be happy with the lack of game time he's gotten this season. Seems to be firmly 4th choice at this stage in an area that we could strengthen. You'd imagine that even if Bailly left and a new CB came in, Tuanzebe would still be 4th choice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I’m going to take “no comment” as “absolutely!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

God look at the state of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Avram Glazer is definitely the type of guy who would ask which colour shirts the team he owns is wearing.

#GlazersOut

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Thinking about Ole’s comments even more are making me like them more.

After some fans getting into Carrington it could have been easy to bring that up, other managers, including some of the ones we’ve had over the last number of years may have even talked about how it’s not on or a distraction for the players.

Ole was keen to reaffirm that he’s a fan of the team also, has been and will continue to be a United fan.

Won’t please everyone but very happy with the response. Still doesn’t brush everything under the rug but it was the sort of level headed approach we needed to avoid a media circus around Ole and the team coming into a big game.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

The rattiest looking human iv ever seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Not one of those demands will be taken as reasonable. and they know that.

It can be entered as a submission as part of a review into football ownership/regulation in the UK though, which I suspect is the actual goal of this.

Cause there is no way anyone could think Glazers will say yes to any of that.

The 50+1 demand is the oddest part of it in that its wholly subjective. The Glazer's could claim to be supporters, and suddenly the 50+1 requirement is met.

The UK football review is dead on arrival. The UK has sold large parts of London to Russian and Middle Eastern oligarchs and nuclear power infrastructure to Chinese state companies. The UK defense industry has been so carved up that the idea of the UK (having invented the tank) building its own tank is fanciful. There is no chance the Tories, Labour or the Lib Dems are going to pretend football clubs have some sacred place in British society that cant be commercialized and sold to the highest bidder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I instantly thought of Emil from Robocop after he gets him comuppence.

robocop.jpg

Whatever about the ESL debacle he owes the world an apology for that balding mullet hairstyle.

Arsenal fans keeping the pressure on their owner, fair play.
    Hopefully utd fans follow suit, it's the perfect opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Lithium93_ wrote: »

The guy always reminds me of mojo from the old xmen cartoon.

sqlp_83248f60-5e6c-4bad-bc9a-2c69722a46a4_1024x1024__90004.1539824592.jpg?c=2

He was a bit of a cnut to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Some day out there!

aww yaaaa what a great start to the day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

I instantly thought of Emil from Robocop after he gets him comuppence.

robocop.jpg

Man I was like 10 when I first watched robocop, haunted me for ages hahaha

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

aww yaaaa what a great start to the day

I mean, it’s been quite a great week overall, hasn’t it. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

[url]

Looks like a good turn out so far. On my way out there now.

• Advertisement

Absolutely great stuff, wish I was there

Will be interesting to see the protests vs Liverpool next week, when there is actually a game on. Would expect Liverpool fans will join in too, in terms of the general protest against ownership and the esl farce.

Disgusting scenes. I love United as much as anyone, but I draw the line at singing about killing people. Those fans symbolise part of what’s wrong with football, not the solution. People like the Glazers should be forced out of the game, but not that way. I’d like to see the back of both sides in that fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

[url]

Looks like a good turn out so far. On my way out there now.

Great turnout. Cringy chant though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Those songs definitely open the people singing them up to criticism when really it should be a slam dunk with no opposition.

Reckon there was about 2000 or so there today. Pretty good atmosphere, lots of green and yellow flares and songs being sang, not just the Glazer one I posted earlier, felt like it was a match day again which was great.

I’d say the one next week for the Liverpool game will be much bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

That chant totally undermines whatever the aim was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Scumbags, imagine future investors or buyers of the club watching that carry on.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

God I detest a lot of what tribalism brings to the game. Some times I feel like I've more in common with the fair weather fan on the far side of the planet than I do with some who bleed United.

• Advertisement

Whatever the aim was? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

It's a special kind of stupid that undermines the absolute high ground they had on the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Nice one. Would love to have been there today and again next weekend. It’s a great feeling being among fans who love the club.

I get that the chants are a bit much for some people but they’re not new either. The same was being sang last year about Woodward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

Nice one. Would love to have been there today and again next weekend. It’s a great feeling being among fans who love the club.

I get that the chants are a bit much for some people but they’re not new either. The same was being sang last year about Woodward.

I'm sure the atmosphere would be great but those type of chants have no place in a protest or anywhere else.
    You lose all ground when you resort to that type of behaviour.
    Just because they have been used before isn't an excuse to use them again.

I agree with the protests but not the chants.

won't someone please think of the children?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Win tomorrow puts us 14 points clear of 5th with 5 left to play. You'd imagine we should be OK for top 4 with that. All the chips have to be in the EL semi at this point. Win that and a comfortable top 4 finish and I'll be pretty satisfied and as far as I'm concerned Ole has earned at least another 12 months in the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

won't someone please think of the children?

absolute zinger,take the evening off to recharge,you earned it!

Dozyart wrote: »
    absolute zinger,take the evening off to recharge,you earned it!

aaaawww diddums

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I'm sure the atmosphere would be great but those type of chants have no place in a protest or anywhere else.
    You lose all ground when you resort to that type of behaviour.
    Just because they have been used before isn't an excuse to use them again.

I agree with the protests but not the chants.

I respect your opinion but I don’t think ground was lost because of the chants. They’re nothing new to United fans and there has been a lot worse sang about people who have actually died. This doesn’t dampen the significance of the protest at all imo.

Are the Glazers bothered by any of this? Probably not. But the important thing here is to continue to demonstrate that these owners are not wanted. The European Super League is not wanted. This week has proven that the power of the fans voice is tangible - as seen with the fall of the ESL. We should push on with these protests and continue to make our voice heard for as long as it takes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement