Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ronaldo
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Bruno --- Pogba
    ????
    Shaw - Maguire - Lindelof - AWB
    Henderson

Greenwood
    James
    Diallo
    Fred --- McT
    Matic
    Telles - Bailly - Tunzebe - ????
    ????

First team being the dream. :pac: Second team being the back ups.

I'm not sure what happens with Martial and DDG. Both on big wages, both essentially back up players now. Selling both would free up a massive chunk of money. Jones, Lingard, Romero, Mata all probably going as well, to free up wages of varying levels.

Given how little Williams has featured this season, I'd worry a back up RB would actually be higher up the priority list. And if DDG went, we'd probably need to find an older, cheap backup keeper (in the mold of Romero, but younger?).

Not sure who the CDM would be. I know Rice seems a dream signing for some, but I think there's plenty of cheaper, non-sexy-name players who'd improve us too.

It was said yesterday, but I'd like the kids to get some minutes in the coming weeks if possible. Not just Amad, but we keep hearing about Shoretire, Hannibal, and so on. Is there anyone in the academy that can possibly fill squad places out a bit? Certainly as replacements for Jones and Mata, anyway.

Right back is an interesting one - Laird is doing well at MK Dons, but arguably a year away from being in position to make an impact at United, could see him on loan again next season.

He looks a good attacking right back prospect. If we sign a right back, it blocks his path - rightly or wrongly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Agreed

https://twitter.com/RoccoTesei/status/1386273097079209987

I know it's against Swindon, I know he's playing as a wing back there and I know he's been pretty injury prone which is worrying for someone so young but it's hard not to see a player that could really complement AWB on that side of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

"Both managers"? What about Ole? Herrera was an important player in Ole's early record-breaking run along with Pogba, but sure you won't want to be hearing that either.

Also, Herrera was MOTM in the Europa final for the one credible piece of silverware we have won post-Fergie. He also won the Sir Matt Busby POTY that season, Jose's first season at the club. A season where Herrera started on the bench and had to work his way into the 11.

In the other tournament that we won post-Fergie, Herrera was pivotal with his play and assist for the winning goal in the FA Cup semis which sent us through to the final.

There were many players dropped under LVG and Jose but that means fück-all in the grand scheme of things, Luke Shaw is a good example of that. Herrera was bollocked out of it by LVG for being out of position while he scored us a goal - Fück LVG and his overly rigid and cautious tactics, but then, I thought most of us were clear on that point for a good 5 years now.

"Better option at shouting, pointing and not doing anything" - Such utter nonsense that in no way sums up his overall time at Manchester United.

What about Ole? He was dropped too is what.

What are Herrera's standout skills on a football pitch? He did a good hatchet job the odd time for José but if that is the best use of your supposed cultured midfielder then you've problems. He worked his way into the team but still wasn't really trusted when push came to shove.

I wouldn't call a Europa League where your opponents were basically Celta Vigo and a very young Ajax to be a creditable trophy. Should have been knocked out bar a clanger from Guidetti.

I can't think of one standout quality he has as a player. Average at everything. I liked him, but he wasn't/isn't good enough. Nowhere near a first choice PSG 11 since his move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

nullzero wrote: »
    Good old Ole, bring on the best striker at the club with 5 minutes to go.

Cavani is 34, reasonably injury prone, and we've two huge European semi finals, sandwiched in between a game with Liverpool. Our only other striker is injured.

If Cavani plays yesterday and got injured you'd have people coming on and saying "Oh, Ole is clueless because now we're screwed for Roma and Liverpool. Yesterday wasn't even must win"

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Evans was given the chance as first choice following Rio/Vidic going - and he failed (imo) to make his case. Given the length of time we have given other players to prove themselves maybe he should have got more time, but at the time i think it was fair to say he needed to be replaced. Our replacements (Rojo!?) were poor though.

He wasn't really. He only started a handful more games than rio under moyes and only given 12 starts by lvg after Rojo was brought in to be a headcase.

Another case of a player not given a fair crack under the carousel of woeful mismanagement at the club yet Rojo perennially injured jones and now Bailey were given umpteen contracts

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »

What are Herrera's standout skills on a football pitch? He did a good hatchet job the odd time for José but if that is the best use of your supposed cultured midfielder then you've problems. He worked his way into the team but still wasn't really trusted when push came to shove.

I wouldn't call a Europa League where your opponents were basically Celta Vigo and a very young Ajax to be a creditable trophy. Should have been knocked out bar a clanger from Guidetti.

I can't think of one standout quality he has as a player. Average at everything. I liked him, but he wasn't/isn't good enough. Nowhere near a first choice PSG 11 since his move.

Let's remember this when we look at uniteds opponents this season so in the Europa.

Herrera has missed roughly a quarter of the games since joking through injury but has started over half of those he's been available for and appeared in all but a handful of others.

psg have the ability to rotate that midfield and do so. Herrera would be excellent in a rotation for us too if on form

Liam O wrote: »

He fell out of Ole's 11 with an injury and by the time he recovered, he was destined for PSG. Not a hope of Ole relying on him after that, but carry on and try to imply that he was dropped by Ole over quality or performance issues.

Straight off the top of my head in terms of his qualities, Herrera was excellent if we lost possession in attack - his pressing and interceptions helped regain possession many times. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen that done so well or consistently by any of our other CMs since he left.

The fact that you don't call that Europa win a credible trophy means that we both have problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

he wasn't offered a contract until he was into his last 6 months. Club showed, imo, disrespect to him in letting the contract go far to long before looking to renew.

Obvious incompetence from Woodward there but if he loved the club as claimed he'd have signed on instead of taking the oil money.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Obvious incompetence from Woodward there but if he loved the club as claimed he'd have signed on instead of taking the oil money.

I'd imagine, and hope, that he loves himself and his family more than any club. In his late 20s, he was offered a 5 year contract in Paris while our lads were dithering around with 6 months left on his contract.

Forget respect, financial sense, or securing the last few years of his professional career, Herrera shoulda just put his hand on the badge and thought of Sir Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I'd like to see us take a chance on St-Maximin. He has a tendency to break down a lot but he's very talented. He can also play right across the pitch. He's not a natural right winger but he can play from there and he gives us cover in a number of other positions.

Not sure how much Newcastle would be looking for but obv if it's mad money I think he's too big a risk.

• Advertisement

At that point the club had been awarding handsome contracts to perennially injured or mostly back up players , so why shouldn't he have felt his worth higher.

They had also handed massive contracts to a small number of "stars" who scarecly deserved them nor had been as at least consistent as him.

He's not a star, he's not a game changers he won't win you matches in his own, but hell stop you being beaten and give you a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'd imagine, and hope, that he loves himself and his family more than any club. In his late 20s, he was offered a 5 year contract in Paris while our lads were dithering around with 6 months left on his contract.

Yeah as I said mercenary available to the highest bidder I don't blame him I'd do the exact same, let's not fool ourselves into thinking these lads love the club.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He fell out of Ole's 11 with an injury and by the time he recovered, he was destined for PSG. Not a hope of Ole relying on him after that, but carry on and try to imply that he was dropped by Ole over quality or performance issues.

Straight off the top of my head in terms of his qualities, Herrera was excellent if we lost possession in attack - his pressing and interceptions helped regain possession many times. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen that done so well or consistently by any of our other CMs since he left.

The fact that you don't call that Europa win a credible trophy means that we both have problems.

You haven't seen Fred or McTominay press and intercept the ball consistently since Herrera left? Really?

The team was weak with him in it. People overlooked his glaring faults because he was giving it large but he was supposed to be a link man between defence and attack and the fact you immediately went to him running around after the team (probably him a lot of the time) lost the ball is quite telling.

There's a reason why his contract was allowed to run down. It's not because he was indispensable. It was because he wasn't good enough.

I liked Herrera but it was plain to see he was out of his depth, fair play to him for the contract he got from PSG to play against the mid-lower table ligue 1 teams and be a good 4th or 5th option in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭IBrows89

I'd like to see us take a chance on St-Maximin. He has a tendency to break down a lot but he's very talented. He can also play right across the pitch. He's not a natural right winger but he can play from there and he gives us cover in a number of other positions.

Not sure how much Newcastle would be looking for but obv if it's mad money I think he's too big a risk.

I was thinking about this when I was watching him a the weekend, I think it would be another case of a Jesse Lingard and Dan James (I know ASM is technically way better), that when they're playing against bigger teams that press up high that they have the space behind to run into. United are very rarely given that space so he wouldn't have be given the opportunity that he is in Newcastle.

I wonder how much they would sell him for though, he'd be an impreovemtn on what we have but don't think he suits United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Not buying a CD and a CDM. That's easily 120M. A CDM has to be an absolute priority at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭IBrows89

Not buying a CD and a CDM. That's easily 120M. A CDM has to be an absolute priority at this stage

In terms of a CDM who do you think would be the best purchase?

Ndidi would come to mind but Leicester would charge a fortune.
    I wanted them to sign Gueye last year but no idea how he's doing in PSG.
    Eduardo Camavinga has been touted for a couple of months but again haven't seen him.

For some reason I just can't see them signing anyone and they'll stick with 2 holding which infuriates me as Fred tackles himself more than the opponents recently..

IBrows89 wrote: »

Eduardo Camavinga has been touted for a couple of months but again haven't seen him.

For some reason I just can't see them signing anyone and they'll stick with 2 holding which infuriates me as Fred tackles himself more than the opponents recently..

Bissouma or Rice would be PL targets imo.

I would say we still we will go with 2 vs bigger sides but I think with a better CDM we would become more likely to go with them plus Pogba or VDB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

v3ttel wrote: »
    Cavani is 34, reasonably injury prone, and we've two huge European semi finals, sandwiched in between a game with Liverpool. Our only other striker is injured.

If Cavani plays yesterday and got injured you'd have people coming on and saying "Oh, Ole is clueless because now we're screwed for Roma and Liverpool. Yesterday wasn't even must win"

Losing against Liverpool is very likely. My argument was that Cavani needed more than 5 minutes to influence the game. 15 or 20 would have been reasonable, as it is with any sub who you intend to impact a game.

With the likelihood that we could easily lose to Liverpool next week (it's their last big game of the season and they are well capable of beating us in any given game) and seeing that if Leicester win tonight against Palace and win their next(against Southampton) game they would be within 2 points of us this time next week with their next game against Newcastle before meeting us (they beat us in the cup only recently) and likely getting some kind of result against us.

You're talking as if we have second place sewn up, it's far from sewn up and we should have beaten Leeds yesterday. If we end up finishing below second it's stupid results like yesterday that will have been the reason. Cavani is set to p1ss off at the end of the season use him FFS.

We don't have a snowballs chance in hell of winning the Europa league with this sides mentality(I hope I'm proven wrong but we can't get over the hurdle of semi finals and it's hard to see where we're going to find inspiration to overcome that this week after we failed to break down newly promoted Leeds bloody United) , we could manage second place in the league though and we're not home and hosed yet by any stretch of the imagination so giving the only true world class striker at the club 15 more minutes isn't exactly demanding much.

Glazers Out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Massive week.

We can put one foot into a European final and bury our biggest rival’s Champions League hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ronaldo
    Rashford
    Sancho
    Bruno --- Pogba
    ????
    Shaw - Maguire - Lindelof - AWB
    Henderson

Greenwood
    James
    Diallo
    Fred --- McT
    Matic
    Telles - Bailly - Tunzebe - ????
    ????

First team being the dream. :pac: Second team being the back ups.

Am I the only United fan that Ronaldo rubs up the wrong way?

I wouldn't like him back, couldn't be bothered with his preening at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ronaldo's attitude is a "win at all costs" one.

Something I personally want more of in the United team.

He'd elevate us both from a goal scoring point of view (he's basically a guaranteed 20 odd goals a season) and he'd demand every player work towards winning the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

IBrows89 wrote: »

Bissouma, Ndidi or Rice once he's not atrociously expensive. Camavinga I think is for Real

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

beakerjoe wrote: »
    He had a tough act to follow. Id easily have kept him in a heartbeat over Jones/Rojo/Smalling in hindsight.

I think it was a toss up between Smalling/Jones/Evans at that stage. You could have made an argument for either one of them going it just happened to to be Evans that got the chop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Bissouma, Ndidi or Rice once he's not atrociously expensive. Camavinga I think is for Real

Did I read a week or so ago the Neves may be available from Wolves for a reasonable fee ~30m?
    Rice would easily cost double that, if at all gettable. Sale of Lingard to them would cover Neves.
    Bailly signing a new contract would suggest CB is now a low priority, understandable given we now HAVE to sign a striker with Cavani leaving and Martial having had enough chances to kick up to the level we need.
    If the Lingard sale covers DM, and money coming in for DdG and Martial, on top of the measely pocket money the parasites running the club allows it to spend, it could be enough to get a striker plus 1 other player. Back up and perhaps a 3rd choice gk needed as well.

With Mata and the remaining deadwood hopefully offloaded it'd free up a big wedge of wages and with Juventus possibly not making the CL next year so will be extra keen to offload CR7, and you can picture the board wanting a big name in to appease the (less angry) fans, the stars do seem to be aligning for that transfer to happen. Still a lot of ifs in that and the previously useless multiple-transfer ability of the club, to scupper all the above.

West ham are not paying 30 million for lingard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Weepsie wrote: »

40 -55 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Talks of bailly contract

Our new cb? Ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

40 -55 ?

Lower, Bruce......Lower.....

DangerousAnyAmericansaddlebred-max-1mb.gif

I hope he stays.

• Advertisement

Probably the greatest player to ever wear the shirt and possibly the greatest player of all time.

Still has pace and is an example to all young players with his work ethic and winning mentality.

I’d have him back in a heartbeat.

Probably the greatest player to ever wear the shirt and possibly the greatest player of all time.

Still has pace and is an example to all young players with his work ethic and winning mentality.

His winning attitude alone is enough for me to want him back.

Look at the affect Cavani had on our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Talks of bailly contract

Our new cb? Ffs

Already signed one. See Sky Sports news.

Cavanis movement is what has effected this team tbh. Not one of our forwards has movement like it nor do they like running in behind as much as him. Dont see any advantage of a deal for ronaldo unless its on a massively cut price contract. hes not worth it at 36

Obviously the price has to be right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Can't see it happening but Id love to see Ronaldo come back.

It could only help Greenwood and Rashford and push them on to be better.

Have to state again..... Can't see him ever returning

Cavanis movement is what has effected this team tbh. Not one of our forwards has movement like it nor do they like running in behind as much as him. Dont see any advantage of a deal for ronaldo unless its on a massively cut price contract. hes not worth it at 36

No advantage to a guy with his record and ability in the box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Can't see it happening but Id love to see Ronaldo come back.

It could only help Greenwood and Rashford and push them on to be better.

Have to state again..... Can't see him ever returning

I reckon he will finish his career in MLS after he leaves Juventus.

Weepsie wrote: »

Honestly he could be their player of the season I think their owner came.oht and said he's priority numero uno they almost have to overoay

billyhead wrote: »
    I reckon he will finish his career in MLS after he leaves Juventus.

I don't think Ronaldo is ready to give up on relevance.

Honestly he could be their player of the season I think their owner came.oht and said he's priority numero uno they almost have to overoay

Definitely 25m for him

paulbok wrote: »
    Definitely 25m for him

Which seems like a miracle given his worth a few months back

• Advertisement

Which seems like a miracle given his worth a few months back

Indeed, thought when he left we'd be doing well to get 15m for him, but he's had a fantastic season since.
    All though I don't see a future for him at United, he's proven he needs to be playing every game, something he wont get at United, the club definitely are under no pressure to let him go cheaply.

30m and we'll throw in Jonesy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Never sat right with me the way he left the club. Probably the most effective forward player to ever play the game, but I've always preferred my footballers more artist than scientist. I don't think he's what we need now and he'd still want an absolutely ridiculous wage.

His personality and demeanor for me is not what I'd like the team to be aspiring to. He's a totem for the modern individualistic will for success and glory at the expense of everything else.

His work ethic and will to win are phenomenal I agree, but there are certainly diminishing returns to his impact at this stage in his career. I don't believe he's ever really wanted to come back either and if he did it'd probably be because we're the only big team willing to pay him a top 2 or 5 player in the world wage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Said it before but the issue with him is that this team is based on hard work now. It is super noticeable when Martial is on and isn't running as much as everyone else. That would be Ronaldo now, with added goals obvs. Cavani made sense because he still runs the legs off himself, but I dont know how much sense Ronaldo makes in this United team. All that being said, he gives 25/30 goals most likely and it is hard to say no to that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Moyes may be doing another Fellaini. Could have bought at a much cheaper price but wait til the price is high and then strike!

Said it before but the issue with him is that this team is based on hard work now. It is super noticeable when Martial is on and isn't running as much as everyone else. That would be Ronaldo now, with added goals obvs. Cavani made sense because he still runs the legs off himself, but I dont know how much sense Ronaldo makes in this United team. All that being said, he gives 25/30 goals most likely and it is hard to say no to that

Martial lack of attacking movement is as much the problem though, his lack of instinct and a lack of goal getting determination. That is the bigger issue when he plays.

Ronaldo would make the runs, he'd be in the box attacking crosses, he'd be sprinting to get into the danger areas. That is what Cavani brings and what Ronaldo would bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Giggs has been cancelled................

https://www.premierleague.com/hall-of-fame

It’s important to remember that Giggs is innocent until proven guilty.

Having said that, it seems like they were only inducting two and very strong arguments can be made for Shearer and Henry.

One would expect the likes of Keane, Schmiechel, Giggs, etc to follow soon after.

Ronaldo doesn’t seem eligible as the player has to be retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭Past30Now

One of our greatest servants. Always looked out for him as we were born within a couple of weeks of one another.

Shame that he's a complete ***** at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

So, what six did ye vote for?
    Cantona
    Keane
    Scholes
    Schmeichel
    Bergkamp
    Gerrard( must be best player never to win PL)

Campbel, Cantona, Ferdinand, Keane, Scholes, Gerrard.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement