Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I think a proper DM is the right call as well. A lot of defensive problems stem from the midfield in football in general and as much as I like how much Fred and McT run and work hard, top class DMs they are not.

Oddly enough , the issue appears to of been conceding goals, not scoring. For all the complaints about our ability to create chances , only City have scored more goals then United in the league and only by 5.

Draws have been our Achilles this season, if we can make 5 of them into wins, we are on same points as City now. I still think next season is realistically about solidifying second and getting closer to city, unless there is some savage investment that’s highly unlikely. A better run in CL also.

We need a Cavani replacement more then a sancho IMO. He’s shown exactly what we have missed for so long, not just talent wise but application and work wise. This sort of player is infectious in a good way on the team.

I’ve never been convinced martial will fulfill whatever potential people seem to think he has and I’d like to see him moved on. Greenwood and Rashford are still relatively young so no offence but another youngster (sancho) is not what I feel our forward line needs. We need experience (particularly if Cavani leaves) up front if we really do want this team to actually ever win something. No club at the peak of European football wins with such an inexperienced forward line (Hanson’s “you won’t win anything with kids” comment is usually correct ;) ). The exact opposite is the case with most top clubs full of experience and the odd quality youngster. So if we want to win something soon, I believe quality and experience should be a priority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Cavani put up a post on Instagram last night that says "All I know, is I will give my all." Goodbye sweet Uruguayan prince. :(

https://www.instagram.com/p/COOehZ2BEM4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drumpot wrote: »
    Oddly enough , the issue appears to of been conceding goals, not scoring. For all the complaints about our ability to create chances , only City have scored more goals then United in the league and only by 5.

Draws have been our Achilles this season, if we can make 5 of them into wins, we are on same points as City now. I still think next season is realistically about solidifying second and getting closer to city, unless there is some savage investment that’s highly unlikely. A better run in CL also.

We need a Cavani replacement more then a sancho IMO. He’s shown exactly what we have missed for so long, not just talent wise but application and work wise. This sort of player is infectious in a good way on the team.

I’ve never been convinced martial will fulfill whatever potential people seem to think he has and I’d like to see him moved on. Greenwood and Rashford are still relatively young so no offence but another youngster (sancho) is not what I feel our forward line needs. We need experience (particularly if Cavani leaves) up front if we really do want this team to actually ever win something. No club at the peak of European football wins with such an inexperienced forward line (Hanson’s “you won’t win anything with kids” comment is usually correct ;) ). The exact opposite is the case with most top clubs full of experience and the odd quality youngster. So if we want to win something soon, I believe quality and experience should be a priority.

I think our defensive numbers are good, partially because we are playing with 2 players at the base of midfield - both go box to box where possible, but we are playing with two more 'limited' players on the ball in exchange for their workrate and defensive work. Our ball progression from defence to midfield with the two of them is poor - as we saw vs Burnley, and vs Leeds for example.

If we signed a top DM, and could play Pogba and Bruno (for example) in midfield with them the hope would be that our defensive numbers don't disimprove but our attacking would improve because the team would have more offensive options going forward.

As for needing a Cavani replacement more than a Sancho, I would agree if Cavani is leaving as it looks like he is. Which is disappointing because it means we are ignoring right wing AGAIN - and I can't see us getting Haaland (or Kane) so I don't know what top player we could get there. It is possible we could sign a cavani replacement and Sancho - but the cavani replacement would be in the 40-50mil range rather than 120+ for Haaland or Kane. Maybe we look at someone like Ings, while keeping Martial as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd rather ignore signing a midfielder and instead adress striker and right wing in that order. If we are doing a third deal I would like a RB that ideally would be able push/compete with AWB (like Telles has with Shaw) but at the very least to at least provide cover at RB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think our defensive numbers are good, partially because we are playing with 2 players at the base of midfield - both go box to box where possible, but we are playing with two more 'limited' players on the ball in exchange for their workrate and defensive work. Our ball progression from defence to midfield with the two of them is poor - as we saw vs Burnley, and vs Leeds for example.

If we signed a top DM, and could play Pogba and Bruno (for example) in midfield with them the hope would be that our defensive numbers don't disimprove but our attacking would improve because the team would have more offensive options going forward.

As for needing a Cavani replacement more than a Sancho, I would agree if Cavani is leaving as it looks like he is. Which is disappointing because it means we are ignoring right wing AGAIN - and I can't see us getting Haaland (or Kane) so I don't know what top player we could get there. It is possible we could sign a cavani replacement and Sancho - but the cavani replacement would be in the 40-50mil range rather than 120+ for Haaland or Kane. Maybe we look at someone like Ings, while keeping Martial as well.

Pogba hasn't done anything when played as one of the 2 deep midfielders so unsure what difference it's going to make telling him to play 5 yards further forward. When played in that role it has been clear that his partner was supposed to be the more defensive one but Pogba didn't do any better than Fred or McT at moving the ball through midfield and is more prone to a clanger of a pass than both of them.

If someone like Verratti could be signed to play there then great (not going to happen obviously) but I think it's more than the personnel and the gap between the attack and defence overall is a problem as there's nobody linking the 2. You can't have 3 or 4 players up front with very little defensive responsibility.

Rashford, Bruno, Greenwood and another is probably the way forward but they don't press as a cohesive unit and aren't given the responsibility to get back. This means when the ball is won you are looking at a 20-30 yard pass to get them involved, or just the simple pass to the full backs, which gets taken way too regularly and allows teams to get set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd rather ignore sign:eek:OTE]

Do people feel that Brandon Williams is going to be a player that can challenge AWB for his spot?....from what I saw of him last season when played at left back for a run of games he has a better delivery of a ball with his right foot than AWB.

He got a lot of stick last season for not overlapping enough when playing left back but I feel this was because he is predominately right footed.

Would be interested in what people think of Williams as a player to possibly challenge for a start next season in games where Utd need more of an attacking threat from right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'd rather ignore sign:eek:OTE]

Do people feel that Brandon Williams is going to be a player that can challenge AWB for his spot?....from what I saw of him last season when played at left back for a run of games he has a better delivery of a ball with his right foot than AWB.

He got a lot of stick last season for not overlapping enough when playing left back but I feel this was because he is predominately right footed.

Would be interested in what people think of Williams as a player to possibly challenge for a start next season in games where Utd need more of an attacking threat from right back.

If we can seal top 3* in the next game or so, I'd like to see him get a run of games at RB.

*top 3 qualification is becoming a little more of a need than just 4th place
    Chelsea and Arsenal both winning Europe and finishing outside the top 4 is getting a bit closer to happening to ignore it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We haven't seen much of Williams this season but from the small bits I've seen, he hasn't been good enough.

I think it's time now to stop hoping some players might turn good. He didn't push AWB for his spot this year so that's not good enough for me. Just sign a decent Telles-like RB and be done with it. It won't break the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

PARlance wrote: »
    We haven't seen much of Williams this season but from the small bits I've seen, he hasn't been good enough.

I think it's time now to stop hoping some players might turn good. He didn't push AWB for his spot this year so that's not good enough for me. Just sign a decent Telles-like RB and be done with it. It won't break the bank.

Trippier on a very cheap deal might be an option. He's not short of experience anyway. Also if Cavani goes what about Olivier Giroud as a replacement. He wants out of Chelsea.

billyhead wrote: »
    Trippier on a very cheap deal might be an option. He's not short of experience anyway. Also if Cavani goes what about Olivier Giroud as a replacement. He wants out of Chelsea.

Trippier on a short term view could be a sensible signing - with the possibility of the club sending Laird out on loan again next season to see if he progresses to at least be in a squad competition perspective for 22/23 or 23/24.

If we do sign someone at right back, it has to be someone who is more of an offensive fullback than a defensive one, cause we need someone that can both compete with AWB and also offer us an alternative if something else is required in a match. Eg maybe AWB is the better choice vs the biggest/strongest sides but you could look at Trippier's attacking/crossing as more needed against sides that will set a low block and defend against us.

As for Giroud, he is a player I have always really liked but not sure he would be first choice at United, and if he isn't going to be first choice I don't know that he would be interested. Didn't he leave Arsenal, look to leave Chelsea previously and would be looking to leave this summer based on not being first choice? Maybe at near 35 (by next season start) first choice wouldn't be as big a deal for him. Certainly think Greenwood and Rashford could get good value from his link up play.

• Advertisement

I like Williams but he is too raw to be seen as a geninue challenge to AWB. I'd have liked to see how he played if he had gone on loan to Southampton at Christmas. He needs games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I like Williams but he is too raw to be seen as a geninue challenge to AWB. I'd have liked to see how he played if he had gone on loan to Southampton at Christmas. He needs games.

Surprised Brighton didnt move to loan him when Lamptey got injured.

beakerjoe wrote: »

maybe they did. andit probably wouldn't have mattered either way. from waht we have seen reported there was interest in him on loan in january - and United decided to keep him. As far as we know, he didn't stay at United because of a lack of interest from elsewhere.

beakerjoe wrote: »

Now there's a swap that I wouldn't mind seeing. I know Lamptey left Chelsea to get game time but it would be a great bit of business for us if he could be convinced imo. Good competition and foil for AWB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

maybe they did. andit probably wouldn't have mattered either way. from waht we have seen reported there was interest in him on loan in january - and United decided to keep him. As far as we know, he didn't stay at United because of a lack of interest from elsewhere.

True, cant blame United for wanting cover/options. With AWB playing so much, Williams hasnt had a look in.

I think a loan to Southampton was about 95% completed then United just said nah.

Actually any word on Dalot? He could be a solution for a year I believe hes played regularly with Milan but no idea what standard those performances have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'm going to be optimistic for tonight. 2-0
    Pogba & Cavani

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

3-0, Rashford hat trick.

• Advertisement

7-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I don't know what annoys me more, shoehorning Pogba into the team or the fact it moves Rashford onto the right to accommodate him. Rashford is United's most threatening player, he should be the one being accommodated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭dmc17

7-1.

I was at that one. Fun times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Good line up. Cavani starts and Pogba out wide. 2-0 I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't know what annoys me more, shoehorning Pogba into the team or the fact it moves Rashford onto the right to accommodate him. Rashford is United's most threatening player, he should be the one being accommodated.

I don't mind him out there as he's played well out there at times. He's too risky to play in the middle. Rashford off the right isn't ideal and I'd possibly have Greenwood ahead of him. Ultimately if Pogba is to stay we probably need to look at a formation change.

Fancy us tonight, 2-0, Rashford and Cavani.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Is there any channel you can manually tune in on a Skybox to watch the Europa League match?

EDIT: It's okay, I'm a gob****e. Just assumed Sky didn't carry the Virgin Media channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

5th Semi Final for Ole tonight. No surprise he's gone full strength.

Feeling confident we'll get the job done given that it's a two leg tie.
    Excited to see Smalling and Mkhitaryan for Roma as well

dmc17 wrote: »
    I was at that one. Fun times! :D

Alan Smiths goal musta burst a few eardrums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Looking forward to the game tonight, might be the Europa but has the feel of a big game.

Let's go! They're talking about fans in Poznan as well for the final :)

Edit: Gdansk even ;p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Looking forward to the game tonight, might be the Europa but has the feel of a big game.

Let's go! They're talking about fans in Poznan as well for the final :)

Poznan. That's a place I would love to return to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

watch no RW being bought this summer.

rashford/mason/james + those young lads for the right
    rashford/pogba/james + those young lads for the left.

think pogba needs to be sold unless plays in a middle 2 with 1 proper DM, rather than needing the 2 to do the job

• Advertisement

Damien delaney is some muppet.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Damien delaney is some muppet.

What’s he said now? Seems to have an agenda against United on the rare times I’ve witness him provide ‘analysis’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Hope we hammer Roma, I really hate them and their fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

Damien Delaney was talking about how he didn't find united an interesting team and more nonsense like that. I'm enjoying Brian Kerr ripping into him though.

Granada (who are rubbish) are winning in the Nou Camp with Barcelona needing to win to go top!

I know you can always say if only, but this was a really good chance to win an undeserved Champion's League (like a local rival ;)), if only we got out of the group.

Anyway really hope we can go all the way here.

watch no RW being bought this summer.

rashford/mason/james + those young lads for the right
    rashford/pogba/james + those young lads for the left.

think pogba needs to be sold unless plays in a middle 2 with 1 proper DM, rather than needing the 2 to do the job

Scholes was saying similar on BT.

Hargreaves was blabbing on about Rashford being able to cross the ball from the right, and Pogba doing a job on the left. Scholes was quick enough to put him in his place... Rashford is better on the left, play him there... Greenwood is in great form and can play on the right, play him there... Sort of a way to play Pogba in midfield with Bruno.

Completely agree with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Sawduck wrote: »
    Hope we hammer Roma, I really hate them and their fans

Aye, something very grotty about them overall.

Hoping we go for it from the start, none of this feeling them out shyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Cmon United....

Aye, something very grotty about them overall.

Hoping we go for it from the start, none of this feeling them out shyte.

i've always had a soft spot for them since champ man back in the day

Just one goal in 10 for Bruno!

Hopefully he puts that right tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

kilrush wrote: »
    Damien Delaney was talking about how he didn't find united an interesting team and more nonsense like that. I'm enjoying Brian Kerr ripping into him though.

Delaney is a poor mans roy Keane... just a sourpuss

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I will be watching to see if Smalling still holds on excessively to players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Beautiful

Just one goal in 10 for Bruno!

Hopefully he puts that right tonight :)

Boom

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

h'on bruno!!

who was saying 1 in 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lovely start.

Wonder was delaney watching that one?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I'm actually going to cry if Cavani leaves this summer. Lovely goal and the reaction of Bruno LOL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Lads that goal was glorious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Beautiful goal!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement