Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Can't believe how naive Roma were. I'd be surprised if that coach is still in charge come the second leg.

Clever tactical tweak at half time. looked like Pogba pushed inside and Cavani was dragging them wide. Dzeko didn't have the legs to press Maguire & Lindelof so Bruno and Pogba were creating overloads in the centre.

Hard to split Cavani and Pogba for man of the match. Cavani just for me though. He could have had 4 or 5 easily. I really really hope we can keep Pogba. World class players are a rarity and we haven't got many of them as is.

Big shout out to Bruno too. I was looking for a big game from him and he delivered. So good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116616010&postcount=6847
    Players can be unhappy andwant to move and still play well and contribute to a teams cause , maybe Cavani will be one of those?!

Delighted Cavani is one of those players, he’s been one of our best signings since RVP for me. Just a glorious sight to behold and he fits seamlessly into the team. Shame he missed more games due to injury , would be a massive break if he chose to stay another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

will ISIS be the pattern or ISIE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

adox wrote: »
    I was having a friendly dig at nullzeros post in the first half.

Anyway no malice intended. I’m sure we are all happy tonight.

Sorry didn't see it!

Cavani <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Roma were absolutely shocking, how they got to a semi final.with that side is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Watching them going through second half play

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Gdansk awaits, it's just now a question of who will oppose United in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Gdansk awaits, it's just now a question of who will oppose United in the final.

Sunday awaits and I hope we go full throttle this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

My word that was great lads. That pass from Cavani for the last goal ffs

Btw: Scholes is absolutely loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

PARlance wrote: »
    Sunday awaits and I hope we go full throttle this time around.

Oh yeah Liverpool on Sunday...

Was saying to a friend, it would be great if United could actually go for it from the first whistle to the last, instead of being a team of 2 halves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

are the media harsh on ole?

i've never heard a journo say to klopp that carra thinks you should make changes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That second half was phenomenal.

Bruno, Cavani and Pogba linking up was just absolutely amazing. Just dream stuff.

Roma are dreadful. For as good as we were, it’s criminal to be 2-1 up at half time away and then let in five goals. At some point, shut up shop! So incredibly naive.

Sets us up nicely to play the type of game we love playing in the second leg. They have to try and score four. We will be able to burden them in the counter.

are the media harsh on ole?

i've never heard a journo say to klopp that carra thinks you should make changes

Probably, I think people need to get over this idea that Ole is out of his depth.

Pep and zidane had zero managerial credentials when they took over Barca/Madrid why can’t Ole be a similar story but a much tougher job taking over a broken fallen giant?. Ole has done a reall good job, if we win Europa I think this with 2nd spot has been our best season. We also look like we are going in the right direction and just need maybe 2 more quality players to make a decent challange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

fair play to smalling for doing the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Beating Liverpool on Sunday to end their top four hopes would be a glorious end to the week.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Probably, I think people need to get over this idea that Ole is out of his depth.

Pep and zidane had zero managerial credentials when they took over Barca/Madrid why can’t Ole be a similar story but a much tougher job taking over a broken fallen giant?. Ole has done a reall good job, if we win Europa I think this with 2nd spot has been our best season. We also look like we are going in the right direction and just need maybe 2 more quality players to make a decent challange.

if pogba is to be kept, need to sign a DM that can play with bruno and pogba.

sell martial...buy RW and CF. happy days for me

even try a part exchange with dortmund with martial for 1 of the 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

Lads and Lasses, slightly off topic but I have a faint memory of a quick free kick against roma possibly by giggs years back but I can't find it anywhere. Does any one remember such a goal or am I making things up in my head?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

There was a quick free kick away against a French team i remember. Maybe lille

jaykay74 wrote: »
    There was a quick free kick away against a French team i remember

Yes, I've found it now it was against Lille in 2007. I must check if we played roma that year too or why it's in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLnRComW2IE

fair play to smalling for doing the interview.

Horrible what happened him when his house was robbed and he was held at gun point as well. I’d be f**ked up for a while after something like that I’d imagine. Especially with a 2 year old in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

if pogba is to be kept, need to sign a DM that can play with bruno and pogba.

sell martial...buy RW and CF. happy days for me

even try a part exchange with dortmund with martial for 1 of the 2

Pogba has generally been shíte in a 2 man mid for us. This was repeatedly shown up for years. I have no desire to revisit that failed experiment.

However he has been brilliant as a "false winger" I guess you could call his recent position? Its certainly unexpected position to see him in but its been getting the best most consistent performances we have seen out of him since he rejoined.

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    There was a quick free kick away against a French team i remember. Maybe lille

It was the Round of 16 tie before the 7-1 Roma tie. That's why it was stuck in my head :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

pjohnson wrote: »
    Pogba has generally been shíte in a 2 man mid for us. This was repeatedly shown up for years. I have no desire to revisit that failed experiment.

However ye has been brilliant as a "false winger" I guess you could call his recent position? Its certainly unexpected position to see him in but its been getting the best most consistent performances we have seen out of him since he rejoined.

Alot of credit has to go to Shaw though also that allows him to do his role. He covers a hell of alot of ground both with his defensive duties and attacking responsibilities

Was Delaney on the recieving end of a crucifixion against us (couple of OG's/give away pen/get sent off etc) or is there any known reason he is why he is?

However ye has been brilliant as a "false winger" I guess you could call his recent position? Its certainly unexpected position to see him in but its been getting the best most consistent performances we have seen out of him since he rejoined.

my only problem with that is rashford gets shafted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Advertisement

my only problem with that is rashford gets shafted

True. Its not ideal but I'd be sitting Rashford from League games for now anyway. Poor lad needs a rest desperately.

Maybe next year we could have Greenwood/Rashford/Pogba/Bruno/New RW/Amad or James all competing for the 3 spots behind the new striker?

Having a squad with multiple top players actually fighting to get a starting berth brings back nice memories :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,337 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

However he has been brilliant as a "false winger" I guess you could call his recent position? Its certainly unexpected position to see him in but its been getting the best most consistent performances we have seen out of him since he rejoined.

Remember him playing really well vs Everton in a similar role.

Then Jose hitched about him in the post match interview iirc.

Looking at club coefficients there for champions league next season , obviously CL and Europa winners may change pot 1 but there could be some tasty big games in there

1st seeds are possibly

City , PSG, Athletico Madrid, inter Milan , Munich , sporting Lisbon , Manchester United (if win Europa), zenith st p

2nd seeds possibly

Man United (if they don’t win Europa), Barca , Madrid , Chelsea/Liverpool , Juventus, Dortmund , Porto , Ajax

Leicester could be in pot 4 , that would be a nasty potential group for anybody in it!

6-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

6-2
    2 worldies...maybe 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Imagine its taken this long to play him in the same position...left of the midfield as he did in June and dominated games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

In fairness, every time he has started in that position of late there's a handful of posts expressing annoyance with the decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

What happens if United and arsenal are in the final and United win...who does the champions league spot go to then?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

jk23 wrote: »
    What happens if United and arsenal are in the final and United win...who does the champions league spot go to then?...

Probably Liverpool knowing our luck :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Pipmae wrote: »
    Probably Liverpool knowing our luck :pac:

Will probably go to 5th place team you are right! United are as good as there, we will see how Villarreal do in London

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

jk23 wrote:

I'm pretty sure the CL spot would just go to United, the only change being that we'd go into pot 1 (as Europa League winners) for next season's group stage draw instead of pot 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,575 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Weepsie wrote: »
    Liverpool at the weekend is still a massive game.

CityLiverpool are a massive club...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Pogba's been very good tonight.

The trio of PP Bruno and Ed have been different class.

If you can't acknowledge he's been good tonight and has a lot to offer this team in an attacking sense you have a bias problem.

True but the fact he can't be trusted in midfield and isn't a winger creates an interesting problem for the manager.

He also won't be up against Roma every week.

Imagine its taken this long to play him in the same position...left of the midfield as he did in June and dominated games

Is it the same position though? Didn't Juve play a diamond or 4-3-3 a lot? I think we're more 4-2-3-1 tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

jk23 wrote: »

Top 4 will go through I believe. I think the 5th CL spot would only come into play if United finished outside top 4 and won the EL or if Arsenal were to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Ole beats Roma 7-1 as a player then comes back as a manger to beat them 6-2, not bad. I wouldn't begrudge Cavani for leaving but I really hope he stays for another season, he's been a fantastic signing. The other forwards in the squad should be learning a lot from him

My only complaint with the team last night was Greenwood being left on the bench in what was a full strength line up.

He is in the great form and much better than Rashford on the right. We need to get away from accommodating players because of their name. I have no issue with Pogba playing on the left like he did, it seems to suit him in terms of linkup play with Bruno and Cavani whereas Rashford always seems to want to take the player on and a lot of the time runs into trouble.

As it stands currently in our best team Greenwood has to play on the right and Pogba/Rashford off the left. Ole needs to get away from accommodating players because of their name. Before anyone says it I know he has done this with Pogba in the past but I genuinely believe we have found the best position for him in the current team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I’d agree. Rashford has been off the boil for a while and at the very least, he needs a rest. Greenwood is in form, but getting dropped for him.

Pogba has done great by adjusting to the LW role (shame it couldn’t be the RW). As it stands, our strongest team vs Liverpool would be Pogba and Greenwood on the wings, and Rashford on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

100% TSC.

I just cant see Ole sacrificing Rashford at this point in time unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement