Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Or offer him another contract?

I'm more than happy for him to stay if he's not expecting a big increase in base salary.

Unfortunately Mino Riola will be expecting either one more big payday from Pogbas transfer or a cut in a bumper new(bigger) contract.
    Not my money of course, but it would gall me to see him get any increase when he's just started to earn the money he's already on.
    How these players don't see him for the sycophant he is, I'll never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

I seen Woodwards opening salvo in the fans forum today. Has anyone seen anything else come out of it? I wonder how it went!?

how did it go?

the athletic (i think) did a piece on it yesterday and completely forgot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Best thing i've seen today :p

E0PgYrlXIAkiGFr?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,350 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

andy mitten alluded to it this morning thats its become a real possibility.

regardless, a CF is needed to be bought and martial sold, unless cavani can play week in week out.

if he is being kept to play every 2nd game, someone else is needed and it aint martial.

i think the higher ups are using this to defer the need to buy a CF and thats a terrible mistake IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Or offer him another contract?

I'm more than happy for him to stay if he's not expecting a big increase in base salary.

look at this from clubs point of view if pogba runs contract down we get nothing, we have to replace the player 60-100 million??

so say we pay bottom price of 60 million to replace him for a player on a 4 year deal, add wages of 200,000 a week to a top player and thats over 100,000,000 over 4 years it will cost the club.

now if pogba is offered a 400,000 a week contract over 4 years tying him to the club it will cost us 83,000,000

he either runs contract down and he gets that money anyways as no fees involved and leaves us with egg on our face or we sign him to a 4 year deal and we essentially save 20,000,000 over 4 years so now its up to the club resign for inflated wages or lose him on a free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

No problem with PP getting a new contract but Id hope it would be heavily incentivized. If he continues to perform at the level we have seen over the last 6 months then he will hit all his bonuses, win win all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Leicester drew with Southampton. good result from a United point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Cavani has really shown Martial to be a bit of a skunk, the team can’t carry him anymore

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

De Telegraaf have a story about Van Der Sar’s name “circulating” round United as a possible Woodward replacement. Usually highly reliable for Ajax news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

look at this from clubs point of view if pogba runs contract down we get nothing, we have to replace the player 60-100 million??

so say we pay bottom price of 60 million to replace him for a player on a 4 year deal, add wages of 200,000 a week to a top player and thats over 100,000,000 over 4 years it will cost the club.

now if pogba is offered a 400,000 a week contract over 4 years tying him to the club it will cost us 83,000,000

he either runs contract down and he gets that money anyways as no fees involved and leaves us with egg on our face or we sign him to a 4 year deal and we essentially save 20,000,000 over 4 years so now its up to the club resign for inflated wages or lose him on a free

Flipside: Give Pogba 400k. Rashford contract comes up: I want 300k. Bruno starts agitating: I want at least 400k. Suddenly the costs have spiralled..viewing one player getting silly wages in isolation isn't right imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Flipside: Give Pogba 400k. Rashford contract comes up: I want 300k. Bruno starts agitating: I want at least 400k. Suddenly the costs have spiralled..viewing one player getting silly wages in isolation isn't right imo

Alexis Sanchez says hello.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Absolutely, we need to learn from past mistakes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

And it's for those very reasons that I w saying "I'm more than happy for him to stay if he's not expecting a big increase in base salary.".

Give him a decent signing on bonus that reflects the financial dilemma the club have found themselves in, load the contract with incentives but don't just hand him a whopper pay rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,244 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    De Telegraaf have a story about Van Der Sar’s name “circulating” round United as a possible Woodward replacement. Usually highly reliable for Ajax news.

Could be the ex-keeper returning to be #2. Two birds one stone :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Given the fact the Cavani has decided to renew... We’re gonna wait a year to buy a striker. Sancho and Rice will be signed in the summer, chalk it down!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Leicester drew with Southampton. good result from a United point of view.

Absolutely massive result for us.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Given the fact the Cavani has decided to renew... We’re gonna wait a year to buy a striker. Sancho and Rice will be signed in the summer, chalk it down!!

You've seen how we operate in the transfer market? You might be right but can't see the Glazers spending anything if they don't have to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

duffman13 wrote: »
    You've seen how we operate in the transfer market? You might be right but can't see the Glazers spending anything if they don't have to

I think we will sign one of either Sancho or Rice. No way both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,244 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

billyhead wrote: »
    I think they'll sign one of either Sancho or Rice. No way both.

Hopefully its Sancho.

Then cheaper squad padding at RB (maybe GK depends on DDG accepting #2 really)

pjohnson wrote: »
    Hopefully its Sancho.

Then cheaper squad padding at RB (maybe GK depends on DDG accepting #2 really)

Might well be unless they can offload one of Fred or McTominay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,482 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Might well be unless they can offload one of Fred or McTominay

Won't sell either. Matic would be gone before either of them.

While I haven't been on board with the dramatics throughout the year, I do think Ole needs to figure out how he can best utilise Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and VdB if he wants to keep hold of all of them. Strength in depth is something that we need but not at the cost of a starting XI that can compete for top honours.

Ole Solskjaer
    144 games played
    82 wins
    32 draws
    30 losses
    268 goals scored.
    140 conceeded.
    Win ratio: 56.94%

Jose Mourinho
    144 games played
    84 wins
    32 draws
    28 losses
    244 goals scored
    121 conceeded
    Win Ratio: 58.33%

Find it interesting how, after 144 games, both managers are actually very similar in terms of stats.

(Stats taken from Reddit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

While I haven't been on board with the dramatics throughout the year, I do think Ole needs to figure out how he can best utilise Bruno, Pogba, Rashford and VdB if he wants to keep hold of all of them. Strength in depth is something that we need but not at the cost of a starting XI that can compete for top honours.

I think this is where Ole sinks or swims next season.
    He needs to get a better hold of squad rotation, when and how to play the weaker members, when to rest, learn how adjust his team for stronger and weaker opposition.
    He needs to have a proper tilt at the league next year and stay in the CL till the latter stages or he will have serious questions about his suitability for the role.

I think it's Rice and one other.
    I cannot see it being Sancho, unless someone can explain why we spent £40 million on Diallo this season. It's expensive cover. There's not a big age gap between the two, so he's not one for the future.

We spent €25m on Diallo. Not £40m.

It can rise to €40m with bonuses. But an initial outlay of €25m is basically nothing nowadays for a very highly rated 18 year old.

Even if we sign Sancho, we will need cover next season, and Diallo will hopefully get given more chances over the next 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Could still sign Kane, would be ideal, Kane number 1 playing 70% of the time and Cavani back up coming off the bench and starting against the weaker teams.

Greenwood has been very effective on the right and still only 19 so loads of time to develop.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

[Jose Felix Diaz, Marca] Cristiano Ronaldo wants to leave Juventus. The player misses Madrid, he misses his old companions. He has a good relationship with Florentino Perez. But a return to Real Madrid is impossible. Cristiano has two other options: Manchester United and PSG

Tier 2 for Real Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/thefergusonway/status/1388068846993502215?s=21

Not sure if this was posted yet but I completely agree with the caption. I’ve no doubt this is something Ole has wanted to implement and Bruno was the catalyst.

Everyone around has stepped up to the plate and I’ve been impressed by Maguire’s leadership recently.

United are in a great position and Ole needs to be backed this summer. Still not quite there IMO as seen with shaky mistakes and conceding the 2 goals to Roma but the drive is there.

I’m cautiously optimistic for next season. A trophy in the Europa League would do this team wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ole Solskjaer
    144 games played
    82 wins
    32 draws
    30 losses
    268 goals scored.
    140 conceeded.
    Win ratio: 56.94%

Jose Mourinho
    144 games played
    84 wins
    32 draws
    28 losses
    244 goals scored
    121 conceeded
    Win Ratio: 58.33%

Find it interesting how, after 144 games, both managers are actually very similar in terms of stats.

(Stats taken from Reddit)

Style of football is chalk n cheese though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Woodward did something right in backing Ole after a poor start to the season. The first team looks very exciting now after many years of rebuilding. We’re a lot closer to having a squad that can challenge for the league. Still a few additions needed but it’s not half the first team as was the case under Mourinho, along with a toxic atmosphere.

• Advertisement

I would add the mood around the club is on another level too. Mourinho's abrasive attitude can only be tolerated so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

nullzero wrote: »
    Absolutely massive result for us.

I was hoping they won tbh, would like to see them in the CL ahead of others.

Really not too fussed on what's going on below, we should be aiming to finish strong and if we do, 2nd is ours comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

PARlance wrote: »
    I was hoping they won tbh, would like to see them in the CL ahead of others.

Really not too fussed on what's going on below, we should be aiming to finish strong and if we do, 2nd is ours comfortably.

2nd isn't ours comfortably, ir at least it wasn't had Leicester won last night.

We dropped points last week at Leeds and although we're in better form than Liverpool, anything can happen in that game tomorrow and we could lose. Leicester have Newcastle next and you'd expect then to win that, had they beaten Southampton and Newcastle and we were to lose to Liverpool, second place would become less of a foregone conclusion.

2 points dropped by Leicester is massive for us.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

nullzero wrote: »
    2nd isn't ours comfortably, ir at least it wasn't had Leicester won last night.

We dropped points last week at Leeds and although we're in better form than Liverpool, anything can happen in that game tomorrow and we could lose. Leicester have Newcastle next and you'd expect then to win that, had they beaten Southampton and Newcastle and we were to lose to Liverpool, second place would become less of a foregone conclusion.

2 points dropped by Leicester is massive for us.

Suppose it's just a different way of looking at it. I'd be more concerned about finishing strong and keeping the gap to the winners as close as possible.

If we're talking If's and But's... We had the opportunity to maintain a 7 point lead ahead of them last weekend but we slipped up with the draw to Leeds. With 5 games to go and the fact that we play them, it would be very comfortable as long as we didn't lose to them. They've got us, Chelsea and Spurs in their final 3.

If we get drawn into a race for 2nd with Leicester who have had the season they've had with injuries, I'd be very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Garner playing now live on Sky for anyone interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Its also the trajectory of those results. This stage in Mourinhos tenure it was falling asunder whereas with Ole it feels like it is on the rise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

I would add the mood around the club is on another level too. Mourinho's abrasive attitude can only be tolerated so much.

Mourinho had his best days at United early on and was on a downward spiral after that. Ole is on an upward trajectory at the moment. How high he can go is questionable but after 144 games Ole has United in an infinitely better state than Mourinho did at the same stage, although Mourinho had some silverware and a points tally that can’t be bettered this season to his name.

I’m still not convinced by Ole but at this moment in time things are looking up. It all hangs on the Summer transfer window though. If he’s not backed it may well go the same way as Jose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Mourinho had his best days at United early on and was on a downward spiral after that. Ole is on an upward trajectory at the moment. How high he can go is questionable but after 144 games Ole has United in an infinitely better state than Mourinho did at the same stage, although Mourinho had some silverware and a points tally that can’t be bettered this season to his name.

I’m still not convinced by Ole but at this moment in time things are looking up. It all hangs on the Summer transfer window though. If he’s not backed it may well go the same way as Jose.

That last paragraph x 2

I still don't think he's the man for the job long term, but he's earned another season with what should be a comfortable 2nd place and the Europa cup final (at least) along with, at times, great football.
    I said it before, Ole had raised expectations on himself now, and he has to deliver something again next year, just top 4 won't cut it anymore.
    But for him to have any chance of that, he'll need to be backed properly this summer. Unfortunately that is unlikely to happen to the degree needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,935 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The difference is that Jose would forcefully argue his case & push against Woodward. I can't see Ole doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I see Riola made comments about Pogba to Madrid today, also made very similar comments about Haaland to Barca.

We should be staying away from the Riola circus at all costs

Mourinho forcefully arguing his case & pushing against Woodward didn't really get him, the team or the club anywhere in the end though. It certainly didn't result in the funds he wanted to reach the next level.

If the Glazers / Woodward were to look at how Ole has used his marquee signings and the relationship he continues to have with them then it's possible they will be more likely to open the cheque book this summer.

I certainly don't think the perception of "meek yes man Ole failing to speak up" will have any real effect on summer business.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I see Riola made comments about Pogba to Madrid today, also made very similar comments about Haaland to Barca.

Riolas a fat clown. As long as Pogba doesn't start mouthing off I wouldn't care what Riola says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I don't buy this. Any player is allowed to ask for whatever doesn't mean they should get it. City are not going to put everyone at the club on KDB money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rossi IRL wrote: »

I would imagine it will probably be the day before the Europa final that Raiola will come out and say he wants to leave or something. Already did the hatchet job on the CL, now there's another important game on the horizon they'll be looking for the attention again.

• Advertisement

beno619 wrote: »
    I don't buy this. Any player is allowed to ask for whatever doesn't mean they should get it. City are not going to put everyone at the club on KDB money.

United suffered this fallout from the Sanchez contract with ddg, for example.

So with us needing both a RW and a DM and with Cavani likely to stay which position do you think should take precedence if we only fill 1 first team position. For me it's DM.

So with us needing both a RW and a DM and with Cavani likely to stay which position do you think should take precedence if we only fill 1 first team position. For me it's DM.

If only 1, DM. We have Greenwood who can do a job from there and you have to hope amad will start to make some impression

If only 1, DM. We have Greenwood who can do a job from there and you have to hope amad will start to make some impression

Exactly what I was thinking. I think we will be fine in the attacking department next season with Greenwood and Rashford continuing to learn from Cavani and and developing further. Having a proper DM will allow Pogba more freedom to roam forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

United suffered this fallout from the Sanchez contract with ddg, for example.

Possibly or we just rewarded our best player accordingly.

Either way niether Sanchez or Pogba should be blamed for the contracts awarded to other players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement