Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

No it won't. An extra place is only awarded if the EL winners haven't already qualified for the CL.

I stand corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

I don't think the Glazers will leave because of this, I just hope it doesn't annoy our players too much the last thing we need is for our best players to lose passion because of this and possibly leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Oh there is that but then youve 200 idiots who invade the pitch and give the Glazers PR team ammo to say look these are thugs looking to jusy cause trouble..not real fans. Manager and players will condemn the actions and takes focus away from the protest outside
    Dozyart wrote: »
    These protests have a an anti-mask/anti-everything moron vibe off them now,the minute you start doing stupid sh1t you lose the high ground,are ridiculed and not taking seriously!!

Is it perfect? No , it’s not , but it’s hopefully the start of something bigger.

It will depend on whether people buy into the glazers PR spin or people actually focus on why there are protests. It’s not ideal that they aren’t wearing masks and some of the chants are quite unsavoury, but the reason they are protesting should be the primary talking point.

Alas, I do fear that the attention spans of the masses are quite limited and the glazers will be easily able to distract attention onto what’s wrong with the protest. Hopefully the protesters will learn and just improve as they continue on their quest for Spock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Sky News reporting that some fans were going to be allowed at the match today? That's not right is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Probably the only time those lads have been in Old Trafford.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Lovely footage of one guy going over and getting a camera and f*cking onto the pitch.

Take that Glazers!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

You know the majority of people there are locals right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just looking at the SSN coverage of the protest

fair ****ing play to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Drumpot wrote: »
    Is it perfect? No , it’s not , but it’s hopefully the start of something bigger.

It will depend on whether people buy into the glazers PR spin or people actually focus on why there are protests. It’s not ideal that they aren’t wearing masks and some of the chants are quite unsavoury, but the reason they are protesting should be the primary talking point.

Alas, I do fear that the attention spans of the masses are quite limited and the glazers will be easily able to distract attention onto what’s wrong with the protest. Hopefully the protesters will learn and just improve as they continue on their quest for Spock.

Vids on twitter of them thrashing tv equipment and swinging from goals and robbing ****,I'm Glazers out but this is fcuking moronic stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,105 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I highly doubt it.

The people who are being branded as “scumbags” are people that actually go to games. They more than anyone should be protesting. Going on the pitch, probably a step too far in fairness.

It’s probably the ones being negative about all of this who are the ones who’ve never been to a game. The chants are offensive to some people but they’re commonplace in the pubs before the game and sang in the stands during the game etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

This is ridiculous, protest away fine, but disruption of the game and entering the pitch is too far. If anything its damaging the clubs reputation. All idiots, young fellas with masks, show your face if your serious about this.

Sky News reporting that some fans were going to be allowed at the match today? That's not right is it?

Just saw that too. Weird. No idea where they’ve pulled that from. I got an email from United this morning saying they were hoping for a certain number of fans in at the Fulham match at the end of the season.

Peaceful protests get you ****ing nowhere

Id ****ing love if this game doesnt go ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Whether you agree with protestors entering the stadium/pitch or not, this will cause a national and potentially international shîtstorm.

More people that take notice the better, more pressure on the Glazer family.

I don’t condone people damaging the stadium but if this creates a massive story and forces change, I’m all for it.

Headshot wrote: »

It seems like some people’s main concern is they won’t get to watch United on the telly today. Says a lot.

You know the majority of people there are locals right?

I think some people are disconnected from the true hardcore support. I wasn’t born in Manchester and grew up supporting them (when everybody was choosing to support Liverpool) but I wouldn’t classify myself at that level of supporter. These people live and breath United.

This is the point I’ve made before, this is not just a club for some people, it really is a religion. These scenes are not just mindless thugs looking for a day out at old Trafford, they are genuine fans who have been ignored by the owners for years. This is what happens when you treat passionate people like discardable “legacy fans”, they fight back in the only way they know how.

I think it’s hard to quantify how dangerous that super league was to hardcore fans of the club , particularly ones who grew up around Old Trafford. The focus of this should be on the glazers, not the imperfect nature of passionate people trying to have their voice listened heard.

It seems like some people’s main concern is they won’t get to watch United on the telly today. Says a lot.

Where has that been said?? I've seen people people wondering or reporting what they've read online!!

Where has that been said?? I've seen people people wondering or reporting what they've read online!!

It’s not been said but you can feel it. Almost like a panic in some people. To the people present today this means a lot more than Man United v Liverpool going ahead. The previous post from Drumpot sums it up perfectly.

Vids on twitter of them thrashing tv equipment and swinging from goals and robbing ****,I'm Glazers out but this is fcuking moronic stuff!!

How many hostile leaders leave peacefully?

I’m not condoning them trashing the place, but if the glazers won’t leave and are willing to treat hardcore fans like sh*t, then this is what happens. It’s not the fans fault, blame the glazers for thinking They can do whatever they want with the club with no ramifications for their actions.

It’s not been said but you can feel it..

Wow :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

utd protests are back into the stadium

go wan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think it’s hard to quantify how dangerous that super league was to hardcore fans of the club , particularly ones who grew up around Old Trafford.
    I'm still a little baffled how the proposed ESL was the trigger for the escalation in fan protests to be honest.

utd protests are back into the stadium

go wan

If they get the game postponed it would be massive. The EPL still pushed through during a pandemic. United v pool is one of the most watched games in the world. For it to be postponed is massive.

Would love to see United and pool fans join forces to really push their owners out.

Wow :pac::pac::pac:

“It seems” was what I said, just a reminder for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

This might not go ahead, if it does, it'll almost certainly be delayed. Not sure how they can guarantee that they will be able to keep the stadium secure during the match after what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

PARlance wrote: »
    This might not go ahead, if it does, it'll almost certainly delayed. Not sure how they can guarantee that they will be able to keep the stadium secure during the match after what is going on.

Prob Liverpool fans trying to get it called off :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Have both teams arrived yet even?

I’m not condoning them trashing the place, but if the glazers won’t leave and are willing to treat hardcore fans like sh*t, then this is what happens. It’s not the fans fault, blame the glazers for thinking They can do whatever they want with the club with no ramifications for their actions.

Ok and what next? If Peaceful protest doesnt work,if storming the stadium doesnt work....what's next to get "hostile leaders" out of the club?

PARlance wrote: »
    This might not go ahead, if it does, it'll almost certainly delayed. Not sure how they can guarantee that they will be able to keep the stadium secure during the match after what is going on.

Be interesting to see how sky would respond to a game being cancelled in such a manner.

They were all for fans protests to cancel the super league, let’s see if they support fans following through to get rid of the owners or will sky revert back to self preservation and condemn it. Also I hope Neville doesn’t have a go at the fans, I will be very disappointed if he doesn’t move the narrative to why the fans are protesting instead of how this isn’t the way etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Social media posts of #GlazersOut will only do so much.

A protest where they have moved into the stadium and causing a storm, brilliant it causes a huge story.

No damage Sky are reporting anyway, they’re seemingly peaceful. No issue with this.

Sponsors won’t like it, Glazers and Woodward will know all about it, brands won’t want to be associated with this.

I’m loving this once it stays peaceful.

So damaging the pitch you condone. Ridiculous carry on. We're all angry about the glazers but this isn't the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

As with a lot of protests, it's success in attracting the "right" sort of press is knowing the balance between disruptive behaviour and destructive behaviour.

Getting on the pitch and potentially disrupting the start of the match - even causing United to forfeit - is absolutely brilliant.

Damaging cameras and equipment belonging to parties outside the club (like media companies) is what's going to undermine the whole protest.

Be interesting to see how sky would respond to a game being cancelled in such a manner.

They were all for fans protests to cancel the super league, let’s see if they support fans following through to get rid of the owners or will sky revert back to self preservation and condemn it. Also I hope Neville doesn’t have a go at the fans, I will be very disappointed if he doesn’t move the narrative to why the fans are protesting instead of how this isn’t the way etc.

Apparently this was up at Hotel Football today.

[url]

Social media posts of #GlazersOut will only do so much.

A protest where they have moved into the stadium and causing a storm, brilliant it causes a huge story.

No damage Sky are reporting anyway, they’re seemingly peaceful. No issue with this.

Sponsors won’t like it, Glazers and Woodward will know all about it, brands won’t want to be associated with this.

I’m loving this once it stays peaceful.

Have Sky reported on the dismayed users of Boards.ie yet? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Possible if the game would be cancelled and Liverpool awarded the win?

It's up to the club to ensure the stadium is secure. Whatever about the route to stadium, etc, but the stadium itself.

• Advertisement

/QUOTE]

Ive seen a vid on twitter of fans on the studio stage throwing camera gear onto the side of the pitch

the vids are crazy...you have young lads that wouldnt have a clue what the club was like before the glazers taking selfies on top of the goals and flagposts being robbed and paraded around outside!

There isnt a mask or a braincell between the lot either!

Ok and what next? If Peaceful protest doesnt work,if storming the stadium doesnt work....what's next to get "hostile leaders" out of the club?

Who knows. Maybe nothing will change but doing nothing will yield nothing.

I tell you one thing for sure, the glazers are not enjoying this. Maybe it’s an inconvenience and won’t make any difference, but we don’t know what their tolerance for this might be. They didn’t want to sack Woodward , that retiring at end of year nonsense was hilarious, he’s been their golden goose, they were forced to sack him. Their relationship with the rest of the epl and football is already tarnished and still at a sensitive point , this is not helping them move on from their super league cock up. Maybe this might make them think about selling. Or maybe if they aren’t going to sell, they might actually start working with fans and give some consessions.

Apathy and passive acceptance is what has allowed the glazers to have a relatively pain free experience at sucking the marrow from United. I hope this has them squirming in their mansions. Be more satisfying knowing that then seeing this game go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

jamesbere wrote: »
    So damaging the pitch you condone. Ridiculous carry on. We're all angry about the glazers but this isn't the answer.

They're running around the pitch, not digging holes in the ground and tearing seats out of the stands. Fans taking the corner flags is minuscule to what the Glazers have taken from this club

Who knows. Maybe nothing will change but doing nothing will yield nothing.

I tell you one thing for sure, the glazers are not enjoying this. Maybe it’s an inconvenience and won’t make any difference, but we don’t know what their tolerance for this might be. They didn’t want to sack Woodward , that retiring at end of year nonsense was hilarious, he’s been their golden goose, they were forced to sack him. Their relationship with the rest of the epl and football is already tarnished and still at a sensitive point , this is not helping them move on from their super league cock up. Maybe this might make them think about selling. Or maybe if they aren’t going to sell, they might actually start working with fans and give some consessions.

Apathy and passive acceptance is what has allowed the glazers to have a relatively pain free experience at sucking the marrow from United. I hope this has them squirming in their mansions. Be more satisfying knowing that then seeing this game go ahead.

I want them gone as much as anyone but i the whole thing will be undermined by the carry on at the stadium!!

Can anyone really tell me that blocking the buses at the hotel for the day and getting the match called off wouldnt have been a better way than breaking into Old Trafford and handing the Glazer PR machine ammo?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I was going to say, Sky are going to be massive hypocrites if they try and slate this.

They used Gary as the face of this, and riled up fans against the ESL. They called for fans to unite against the ESL, and Gary in particular basically called for the fans to do something like this.

If Gary doesn’t support this, after basically causing it, he’s going to look awful IMO.

• Advertisement

Be great if this game doesnt go ahead and it will be broadcasted across the world that Glazer protests stopped this game

Pretty sure it's game off at this stage. Has to be given the fact that teams are still in the hotel and fans in stadium. 6pm kick off probably the earliest KO at this stage.

Cavani benched...

Call it off ta fcuk. Seriously Ole...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I want them gone as much as anyone but i the whole thing will be undermined by the carry on at the stadium!!

Can anyone really tell me that blocking the buses at the hotel for the day and getting the match called off wouldnt have been a better way than breaking into Old Trafford and handing the Glazer PR machine ammo?

I dont think its about PR. The Glazers own the club. They will continue to own the club until they sell, regardless of PR. The Glazer's only interest is money so they will not sell until they are convinced they have wrung the last dollar from the club and their best interest is to convert the paper gains into real money to invest elsewhere. Good PR or bad PR that is their calculation.

Effective protests need to convince them there isnt any more money to be made, and if anything there is a risk of their gains declining if matches are called off on a regular basis. We can nitpick what ideal protests would look like, but this is a lot more likely to work than politely asking the Glazers to please give the club to the fans from the goodness of their hearts.

They're running around the pitch, not digging holes in the ground and tearing seats out of the stands. Fans taking the corner flags is minuscule to what the Glazers have taken from this club

I'm sorry but disruption of games is not going to work. Its not the players fault or the groundmen and women who trying their best during these tough times. The glazers should be kicked out I totally agree with that. But when fans are allowed back that's where they should be hurt. Protesting works but not in the way that's been done today by invading the pitch. I'm against that and nothing will change my mind on that.

Fans protest is imperfect, it’s less organised and as such is actually a much more natural example of people fighting back a perceived tyranny. The fans aren’t at the ground to tear it up, it’s to make a point. Why focus on the actions of a few people ? You will always get different levels of aggression at protests , hopefully the mainstream media will support the reasons behind the protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

jamesbere wrote:
    I'm sorry but disruption of games is not going to work. Its not the players fault or the groundmen and women who trying their best during these tough times. The glazers should be kicked out I totally agree with that. But when fans are allowed back that's where they should be hurt. Protesting works but not in the way that's been done today by invading the pitch. I'm against that and nothing will change my mind on that.

100%

Also is it possible we will be penalized for this if the game doesn't go ahead, and handing Liverpool the win helps their top 4 chase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,758 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Im saying its right, but violence gets results. People never take notice unless things get violent.

Look at the water protests....

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Im saying its right, but violence gets results. People never take notice unless things get violent.

Look at the water protests....

Hahahahaha lets kidnap players and burn houses!! :p:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement