Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Mark Hughes equaliser against Oldham will always be one of my favourite football memories. Andrei Kanchelskis was my best friend’s favourite player when we were kids. That other person, ex West Ham, Inter Milan, and Liverpool, is dead to me. “Call me the Guv’nor”…enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Mark Hughes equaliser against Oldham will always be one of my favourite football memories. Andrei Kanchelskis was my best friend’s favourite player when we were kids. That other person, ex West Ham, Inter Milan, and Liverpool, is dead to me. “Call me the Guv’nor”…enough said.

Mine too, Sparky really was different class. Tends to be forgotten a bit when it comes to United greats, partly due to leaner pre-PL years and the move to Barca in his prime.

The old chestnut of some are great goal-scorers and some are scorers of great goals was made for him. Probably one of my earliest vaguest United recollections is his winner against Barca in the Cup Winners Cup.

They should really bring that back - straight knockout and include every team that one any cup the previous year including Champions League, Europa league, Super Cup, League Cup, you have to have won something to be in it! Would be great at least in my head :pac:

Such good memories. I vividly remember him rounding the ‘keeper and thinking “that’s too wide an angle” and then bang!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

[Bild] Dortmund are prepared to accept an amount of 90 million for Jadon Sancho but Manchester United are very reluctant. In fact, there is nothing at all on the Sancho interest on United's side. On the contrary; a move is not likely at all. They are now focusing on signing Jude Bellingham instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Young lad in the championship looking good, United should stick a bid in....

https://twitter.com/ManUnitedLU_247/status/1391000397486166016?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Looks like Wayne Rooney's Derby County may be getting relegated from the Championship

Edit: nvm they just about survived by one point. Gwan Wazza !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Young lad in the championship looking good, United should stick a bid in....

https://twitter.com/ManUnitedLU_247/status/1391000397486166016?s=19

Tasty alright.
    Hopefully kept out on loan next season to develop further with regular game time.

Looks like Wayne Rooney's Derby County may be getting relegated from the Championship

Edit: nvm they just about survived by one point. Gwan Wazza !!!

lost 6 of the last 7 and scraped a draw at home to a side that were, as a result, relegated.

Fair play for getting teh result, i guess, but they never should have been in this situation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Forgot it was only 2 points for a win so we took 1 point from 8 over an 8 day period.

Draw against Luton and the losses against Forrest, West Ham and Liverpool as mentioned.
    You didn't forget. 3 points for a win came into English football in 1981.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

We're going to win the league!!!

Joking aside, decent result all things considered.

Ole promising plenty of changes throughout the next week saying he has to mind the players and doesn't care on the impact it might have on other teams battle for top 4.

Anyone else think we have been really lucky with injuries in general this season and are only 2 or 3 injuries to key players from being bang average to look at?

We have a deep squad in terms of numbers but now is the time to ensure that we are signing quality and not just players to fill out the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Exactly wrote: »
    Ole promising plenty of changes throughout the next week saying he has to mind the players and doesn't care on the impact it might have on other teams battle for top 4.

Anyone else think we have been really lucky with injuries in general this season and are only 2 or 3 injuries to key players from being bang average to look at?

We have a deep squad in terms of numbers but now is the time to ensure that we are signing quality and not just players to fill out the squad.

We have been lucky especially considering that Ole doesn't rotate that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Assuming no player is going to be asked to start 4 games in 7 days so I'm expecting at least 3 or 4 changes tomorrow.

Rashford, Lindelof, McT all obvious candidates to come in with possibly Matic or Telles/ Williams too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Will you marry me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Was that “and it’s hooked back in for Hughes” game ?

Loved that goal, went nuts ....

Have so much fonder memories of the 90s then any other period. Maybe it’s my age as I was only a teen at the start of the decade. Players were proper men to me and tough lads. They appear to be gentle kids these days, even so called tougher players like Ramos don’t have a patch on the players back then.

I loved Lee sharpe, shame he couldn’t maintain the standards he set. Kanchelskis was a speed demon. I remember a game against Qpr away in 92/93 and he tore them apart, our football was savage on counter attack. Think Norwich away was equally impressive. The Norwich team beat Bayern if I remember correctly.

Cantona was the man though. I think a misplaced (or maybe it was Ginola?!) pass led to a Bulgaria goal in 94 World Cup qualifiers that ended his career for france. Bruno is a superb player but I don’t believe he has the same presence that Cantona gave to the team. It’s a difficult quality to quantify. The fact that United failed to win the league in 95 without Cantona days a lot as that was a very strong squad of players.

God I could reminisce about the 90s all day...

• Advertisement

I think it was Ginola who gave the ball away to cost France World Cup qualification.

Remember Andrei scoring a hat-trick in a 5-0 win vs Man City?

Cantona was God in my eyes. He was a proper hard man and didn’t give a sh1te either. Just pure class. When he was coming back against Liverpool Sky did a montage to the sound of Take That’s ‘Back for Good’…it nearly made me cry. He was as cool as a player could be, an absolute legend. God. And when you think of some of the bluffers who’ve pulled on the jersey since.

I think it was Ginola who gave the ball away to cost France World Cup qualification.

Cantona was God in my eyes. He was a proper hard man and didn’t give a sh1te either. Just pure class. When he was coming back against Liverpool Sky did a montage to the sound of Take That’s ‘Back for Good’…it nearly made me cry. He was as cool as a player could be, an absolute legend. God. And when you think of some of the bluffers who’ve pulled on the jersey since.

I had that full City game on video , gave it a loan to a guy in my football team and never got it back!

I’m not sure I will ever feel the same about anybody as Cantona. Actually have a letter somehwr Signed by Martin Edward’s. I might of posted a copy on boards before but it was when there was rumour contract negotiations weren’t going well with Cantona and I wrote to the club pleading with them to do whatever they could to keep him. Couldn’t believe I got a response, it was part of the reason I felt closer to the club, like the owner actually gave a crap on some level.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/08/manchester-united-lose-200m-training-kit-deal-over-fans-anti-glazers-campaign

Manchester United have missed out on a proposed new training kit deal worth £200m over 10 years after the Manchester-based company The Hut Group had concerns about the supporters’ campaign to boycott the club’s commercial partners in protest at the Glazers’ ownership, the Observer understands.

Richard Arnold, United’s group managing director, was told on Friday that THG had pulled out of a contract which was due to start on 1 July.

The branding of Myprotein, a Cheshire firm owned by THG, was due to appear on United’s training kit and replace the branding of AON, sponsors of the club’s Carrington training centre.

It is understood THG, a multibillion pound company with offices near Manchester Airport, was concerned that as a local business it would be targeted by disaffected fans in Greater Manchester.

huge if true - that would be a massive blow to United, and will be a serious financial pain in the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

If that lost deal is true we can forget about significant summer signings. We might struggle to hold onto Pogba too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Hit in the pockets..... hopefully its the start and makes those fat cat Galzers take notice and engage.

billyhead wrote: »
    If that lost deal is true we can forget about significant summer signings. We might struggle to hold onto Pogba too.

Because we missed out on 20m this summer?

Cantona was cool as Jagger, but well overrated footballer in england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

If fans truly want the Glazers gone, then this is the only realistic way.
    This will hurt short term, but the Glazers will never invest enough to make United serious contenders for PL and CL titles anyway so suffocating their cash flow will push them to a decision.
    Invest in the squad and stadium to get the fans back on side and there-by bring back the sponsors.
    Or take take the money and run.

Cantona was cool as Jagger, but well overrated footballer in england

How so?

How so?

You don't think he showed cool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

but well overrated footballer in england

Could react to this in so many ways but I'd be carded for abusing you so I'll just laugh at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hit in the pockets..... hopefully its the start and makes those fat cat Galzers take notice and engage.

Reading my mind, Im ****ing delighted to see it

I see it as a short term pain for hopefully a glorious future without the Glazer parasites

beakerjoe wrote: »

I think that the fact they replied to the fan letter shows they have taken notice they have never communicated to the fans in 16 years so that's huge, it doesn't mean much will change but they have taken notice. If they lose out on a huge sponsorship then they really will take notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think that the fact they replied to the fan letter shows they have taken notice they have never communicated to the fans in 16 years so that's huge, it doesn't mean much will change but they have taken notice. If they lose out on a huge sponsorship then they really will take notice.

It's all for show tbh, a leopard never changes its spots

It's all a PR battle, hoping they can stop the protests and they want look like they actually taking heed of utd fans while in the background they'll continue what they do

It will never be anything meaningful

Headshot wrote: »

It's all a PR battle, hoping they can stop the protests and they want look like they actually taking heed of utd fans while in the background they'll continue do what they do

I agree yeah I don't feel anything genuine is meant yet.

Its a tricky situation at moment I feel the protests(peaceful side of it) have got the backing of most of the football community and they need to continue peacefully just to keep pressure on them but the fans groups also have to be prepared to give them a chance to follow through on what they have said. They have to engage because even as much as we all want it the simple fact is even if they wanted to sell no one is going to buy them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If Utd loose sponsorship money, it will just be taken from the player budget, champions leaugue is secured they have no need to spend.

You don't think he showed cool?

I think he wasn't overrated.
    So. Again.
    How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Can’t wait for Man City to implode and us to nab the title.

Will be glorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Adamocovic wrote: »
    Can’t wait for Man City to implode and us to nab the title.

Will be glorious.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There is no humour in this thread after 2 am clearly, not a hint of it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Was thinking about how good Cavani has been for us and started to think about the cursed 7 shirt.

Am I forgetting someone or is he arguably the most consistent and fan favored since Ronaldo?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Was thinking about how good Cavani has been for us and started to think about the cursed 7 shirt.

Am I forgetting someone or is he arguably the most consistent and fan favored since Ronaldo?

He has certainly done well but it’s probably too early to judge given that he missed a fair few games with injury and suspension. Sanchez, Di Maria and Depay all had potential to become top players for us but they didn’t do it in a Man U shirt. Michael Owen did well for us but again missed a fair bit through injury as was expected.

I think Cavani if he stays next year and keeps banging in the goals in front of the fans will be up there as best since Ronaldo but he could be gone next month as things stand. I’m a big fan and really hope he stays - and hope we sell Martial to invest in defence.

• Advertisement

One of our biggest games in years on the horizon and then the lads can go on holidays and switch off.

We really must beat Liverpool in that game and stop them getting into the Champions League.

Then our season’s over.

Two goals for Sancho yesterday in a 3-2 win against RB Leipzig to put Dortmund fourth for now. that's five wins in a row for them in the league just when they needed it. Frankfurt can go back fourth with a win today and with just two games left it'll go down to the wire whether they qualify for the Champions League or not.

I wonder if they scrape in does Sancho's price go back up, I'm a huge fan of his and believe he'd make a huge difference to United's attack. His level of production at his age is elite and the fact he's English is a positive in my book. Really hope we can sign him this summer, it really is a no-brainer for me, 10 plus years of elite production - yes please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

One of our biggest games in years on the horizon and then the lads can go on holidays and switch off.

We really must beat Liverpool in that game and stop them getting into the Champions League.

Then our season’s over.

Think I'd prefer if they held off on the factor 50 until after the Europa final

Feast your eyes on these beauties, think the one against Wednesday is my personal favourite though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The first hit to the Glazers from the protests.
    https://twitter.com/guardian_sport/status/1391301396356640768?s=19

Headshot wrote: »

It's all a PR battle, hoping they can stop the protests and they want look like they actually taking heed of utd fans while in the background they'll continue what they do

I'm going to go down the "power of positivity" route for a few weeks while I can.

PR is all about getting the fans back on your side. If they have no desire to sell up, they're going to have to do something to, at the very least, attempt to neuter the protests. If it's a PR battle, they won't be so thick as to think a letter of promises will achieve much (especially since there's more protests planned).

In order to neuter the protests, they're going to have to show some degree of a statement of intent. Maybe something as minor as appointing Van Der Sar as Woodward's replacement, maybe something as major as actually loosening the purse strings a bit this summer, and getting a player or two who they can point towards as higher profile.

(Yes, I know the drill. A summer of optamism, followed by some crushing realization at the end of the window :pac:)

• Advertisement

ParkRunner wrote: »
    He has certainly done well but it’s probably too early to judge given that he missed a fair few games with injury and suspension. Sanchez, Di Maria and Depay all had potential to become top players for us but they didn’t do it in a Man U shirt. Michael Owen did well for us but again missed a fair bit through injury as was expected.

I think Cavani if he stays next year and keeps banging in the goals in front of the fans will be up there as best since Ronaldo but he could be gone next month as things stand. I’m a big fan and really hope he stays - and hope we sell Martial to invest in defence.

Thing is though, even if he was to go in the summer who on that list of players since Ronaldo has actually been a better number 7 since? Who has had more of an impact on a season injuries and old age an all?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

paulbok wrote: »

Think I'd prefer if they held off on the factor 50 until after the Europa final

Given the choice, I’d prefer Liverpool to miss out on Champions League football rather than United to win the Europa League.

It’ll cost them a fortune, it’ll damage their ability to sign players, and it’ll damage their ability to compete for the title next season with the curse of Thursday night football.

For me, the next 2/3 years is all about winning the league title and the Champions League.

Yes, winning trophies is a habit and breaking our recent duck might be helpful in that regard, but ultimately the Europa League is a booby prize and a competition for losers. It means almost nothing to me as a fan, other than to serve as a reminder of how far the club had fallen.

One season out of it isn't going to do them much harm tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Given the choice, I’d prefer Liverpool to miss out on Champions League football rather than United to win the Europa League.

It’ll cost them a fortune, it’ll damage their ability to sign players, and it’ll damage their ability to compete for the title next season with the curse of Thursday night football.

For me, the next 2/3 years is all about winning the league title and the Champions League.

Yes, winning trophies is a habit and breaking our recent duck might be helpful in that regard, but ultimately the Europa League is a booby prize and a competition for losers. It means almost nothing to me as a fan, other than to serve as a reminder of how far the club had fallen.

I'd rather the club win every competition it is in than worry about what other clubs are doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Such absolute pony. Winning the EL has been our level since 2013 and is the 3rd biggest trophy that can be won. I celebrated winning the EL under Jose just as much as winning the CL or PL under fergie. Although we will probably already have CL qualification in the bag thus rendering winning the EL largely irrelevant, winning it will be a reward for the players and the manager and a culmination of the improvement in the team. Forfeiting winning it just to see Liverpool or anyone lose out on a CL spot is pathetically small time.

Newsflash, they have won the league and the CL over the last few seasons and have spent relatively frugally, losing out on CL won't make one iota of difference to them and what they will or won't spend.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement