Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yea, that would be great, then watch City lose 3 games and think what if we had beaten Leicester

The reserves would beat Leicester.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Keeping Cavani is more important then getting a right winger. Ideally we do both but Cavani is just pure quality, world class really , age doesn’t matter , I’d take the risk as he’s hardly going to regress a lot in 12 months and it’s really fitness that’s only concern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Yea, that would be great, then watch City lose 3 games and think what if we had beaten Leicester

We?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We?

from his point of view

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Would be happy enough to see the reserves out against Leicester.

Not until the league is officially done imo. But there will need to be some squad management over the games. However leicester are our biggest threat of loosing 2nd (that we have control over) so I'd rather a stronger team against them than the Liverpool match who can't catch us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Buying a foul is not a dive, going in high on a player, and then pulling leg away is not a dive, it's a player expecting contact and taking action to ease it by being prepared for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,297 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Drumpot wrote: »
    Keeping Cavani is more important then getting a right winger. Ideally we do both but Cavani is just pure quality, world class really , age doesn’t matter , I’d take the risk as he’s hardly going to regress a lot in 12 months and it’s really fitness that’s only concern.

I remember from watching him for PSG that he was fairly wasteful .
    He'd get into alot of good positions but his finishing could leave him down but he has been clinical for Utd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Job done.

Silly defensive mistake, mentality of the side drove them on for a big win to nearly cement 2nd.

Lots to build on.

Happy Sunday reds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Buying a foul is not a dive, going in high on a player, and then pulling leg away is not a dive, it's a player expecting contact and taking action to ease it by being prepared for it.

tenor.gif?itemid=5245718

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

jk23 wrote: »
    Could you imagine the amount of goals Cavani would get with Beckhams crossing... unbelievable movement

It's fantastic because it clearly shows Ole that he cocked up pinning his hopes on Rash and Martial over an actual striker in Rom. Keep Edi for another season and go for an actual striker in summer 2022.

Good win.

It's funny, these days watching us when we go behind I generally feel we will get back into the game, long while since I've felt that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Always appreciate your insight its great to read.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Job done again, and that's second pretty much in the bag. Real what if season, in the league and Champions League but definite progress and with the right additions, there could be better again next year, well that's the hope anyway.

[/IMG]

TBF I have to agree with what's he's saying and we'd apocalyptic if Rashford was sent off for something like that.

That said it would be great to really tackle simulation and that's probably the kind of decision needed to really discourage it. Now if it's a new directive, great, all for it, but if it's just more inconsistency and worse dives go unpunished later today, it's BS.

I'm pretty sure it's the latter unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭kerplun k

If we win our next 2 games there’s 4 in it. Imagine if we had of won that game against Leeds. Would have made an interesting end to the season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Keep Edi for another season and go for an actual striker in summer 2022.

I'm the opposite. I think this shows why it's vital we go for a younger target man striker this summer.

I love Cavani and want him to stick around, but the guy is 34 with a history of injury issues. He's been great for us this season, but I think going into next season relying on him and Martial again is dangerous.

I look at his contributions and think "This shows the importance of a target man to the team and how we play". I look and think a Kane or a Halaand would be even more lethal.

If we could offload Martial, and go for a proper first team striker, while keeping Cavani as our back up, we'd be much stronger next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,629 ✭✭✭✭Sand

kerplun k wrote: »
    If we win our next 2 games there’s 4 in it. Imagine if we had of won that game against Leeds. Would have made an interesting end to the season.

United can finish on 82 points at most, if all remaining games are won which is a tall order. City are on 80 points and have 3 easy/routine games to pick up the 3 points they need. All that is to play for in the PL is keeping the gap to city to single digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Imagine if we picked up more than 1 point from our two Palace games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Common theme this season. We're behind at half time, Ole gives his instructions at half time and we go on to win the game.

You just got to give massive credit to Ole for that

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1391412360921985030?s=20

Common theme this season. We're behind at half time, Ole gives his instructions at half time and we go on to win the game.

You just got to give massive credit to Ole for that

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1391412360921985030?s=20

If only he could give them instructions at the start we make it easier on ourselves.

• Advertisement

Judging by other opinions he seems to be after getting the referees back on side too,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Any word on maguire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

It's fantastic because it clearly shows Ole that he cocked up pinning his hopes on Rash and Martial over an actual striker in Rom. Keep Edi for another season and go for an actual striker in summer 2022.

Good win.

It's funny, these days watching us when we go behind I generally feel we will get back into the game, long while since I've felt that.

Just to be clear, Rom never moved like this. He has many good traits but Cavani level movement is not that.

Rom leaving was good for all parties and was not an error from Ole. They should have gotten another striker that suited tho

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

We cannot lose Maguire and I reckon he makes himself available for EL final anyway. Been top class imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Adamocovic wrote: »

Sheffield F-in United. West Brom. 2 up on Everton. We could go on all day with this but it is what it is. However, if we win on Tuesday and Thursday and Newcastle holds them to a draw, does Pep get shaky knees?

FatherTed wrote: »
    Sheffield F-in United. West Brom. 2 up on Everton. We could go on all day with this but it is what it is. However, if we win on Tuesday and Thursday and Newcastle holds them to a draw, does Pep get shaky knees?

Pep and City have the experience to close it out.

I will say, though, that as disappointing as it is to drop the stupid points, that's a way easier issue to deal with by recruiting the right players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

FatherTed wrote: »

When was the last time we were legitimately upset at being out of a title race that we really might of challenged ? We are going to finish the league in between the champions league finalists and may yet end this season with a trophy ourselves. For the all the complaints about rotation and managerial limitations, Ole has done a superb Job overall this season. He’s left us seeing a path to a potential title challange, with those games were we dropped stupid points, obvious areas the team can improve even without a signing.

Watching the game today it reminded me of SAF days when it just felt like United were going to win. Also the team is pushing on, despite the fact there isn’t really anything left to play for it league, which is a good sign.

Ole has led United to probably their best season in nearly a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Adamocovic wrote: »

Sheffield utd defeat and blowing the lead against Everton. 5 points we shouldn't have given away.

jayo26 wrote: »
    If only he could give them instructions at the start we make it easier on ourselves.

I know you're half-joking but thought it was a better more purposeful start to the game today. We had Villa boxed in for the first 20 or so before they scored.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. I think this shows why it's vital we go for a younger target man striker this summer.

I love Cavani and want him to stick around, but the guy is 34 with a history of injury issues. He's been great for us this season, but I think going into next season relying on him and Martial again is dangerous.

I look at his contributions and think "This shows the importance of a target man to the team and how we play". I look and think a Kane or a Halaand would be even more lethal.

If we could offload Martial, and go for a proper first team striker, while keeping Cavani as our back up, we'd be much stronger next season.

There are more glaring holes in the squad that require fixing imo which is why I think filling those this summer and then going for the final piece of the puzzle next summer is what we will do. A proper DM and proper right sided player this summer makes a huge difference to the team. It removes some defensive responsibility from the likes of PP and Bruno allowing them more time to focus on forward. A proper winger would allow for Mason to have a more central role and learning from someone like Cavani must be invaluable.

Of course we could be greedy and expect all three positions to be filled this summer but if we can fill the two further back it opens up the options we have up top.

It is clear as day though that Martial or Rashford are not the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

I know you're half-joking but thought it was a better more purposeful start to the game today. We had Villa boxed in for the first 20 or so before they scored.

We played well for the 90 minutes today which was great to see it was down to individual errors that we conceded the goal it wasn't because we weren't playing well in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

There are more glaring holes in the squad that require fixing imo which is why I think filling those this summer and then going for the final piece of the puzzle next summer is what we will do. A proper DM and proper right sided player this summer makes a huge difference to the team. It removes some defensive responsibility from the likes of PP and Bruno allowing them more time to focus on forward. A proper winger would allow for Mason to have a more central role and learning from someone like Cavani must be invaluable.

Of course we could be greedy and expect all three positions to be filled this summer but if we can fill the two further back it opens up the options we have up top.

Agree about Martial and Rashford. We all know Martials shortcomings but Rashford has been very disappointing. He is chipping in with goals here and there but it feels like his development has come to a complete hault. Nearly looks like he is going backwards to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

a defensive midfielder and Sancho is what I would like to see this summer, Cavani to sign a new deal and mentor Greenwood, would be ideal, all this talk of wanting to sign a center forward and with the right development we probably have a world class center forward in Greenwood, the kid is still a teenager, we also have some great center forward talent in the youths,

I think we can agree there's the three spots.

I just feel that a striker is not something we can afford to leave if we intend to try and challange next season.

Don't get me wrong, I think we probably need a RW too.

But I'd personally prefer getting a new striker, and having Greenwood as the RWer, over getting a RWer and having to hope Cavani and Martial stay fit and in form. I think that with how we play, the biggest issue we have is when Cavani isn't playing, cause we're set up to hit it into the box for a striker.

I mean, ideally, we'd get a striker, RWer and CDM. Probably a CB as well. No, I'm not greedy :pac:

I think Rashford gets a harder time then others, he is predominantly playing as a winger he has 10 goals and 10 assists in the league, 20 goals in all competitions. That's not a bad haul from someone that's regressing.

He could be better of course but it's been a messed up year and he has played an awful lot of game's while carrying a niggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good days work. Considering they only played Thursday night I thought team played well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

jayo26 wrote: »
    I think Rashford gets a harder time then others, he is predominantly playing as a winger he has 10 goals and 10 assists in the league, 20 goals in all competitions. That's not a bad haul from someone that's regressing.

He could be better of course but it's been a messed up year and he has played an awful lot of game's while carrying a niggle.

Fantastic cross for the Cavani goal. Had some good link up play with Pogba and Bruno at times too.

Hard to be overly critical of him today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Zico wrote: »
    And official Noodle brands in Japan according to you a few years ago.

You'll have to help me out there it seems to be fresher in your memory than my own

I wouldn't underestimate the importance of an official noodle brand though tbf

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Rumours on twitter that Maguire might be out for the rest of the season and possibly even the Europa league final. Thought Maguire has been very solid in the second half of the season , massive blow if the rumours are true.

With how injury prone Bailly & Lindelof are, I wonder how Ole is going to manage Tuesday & Thursday's games now that Maguire is out. I hope we see Tuanzebe start on Tuesday. Feel like there's a good player in there but just hasn't been given a run of games to really prove himself.

Jofspring wrote: »
    Agree about Martial and Rashford. We all know Martials shortcomings but Rashford has been very disappointing. He is chipping in with goals here and there but it feels like his development has come to a complete hault. Nearly looks like he is going backwards to be honest.

Pretty good ball for Cavani's first today!

Criticism of Rashford crops up in here all the time. It's mostly unfair imo. His best position is from the left which he doesn't always get to play, not because there's someone better than him that plays there, but because he's more versatile and can put in a shift wherever you put him.

I think he's still developing nicely and we'll see where he fits in with England at the Euros. His numbers are good and he can still kick on again when not hampered by any niggles.

And with that WHU/Everton result we are mathematically guaranteed top 4. Steady improvements under Ole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

And with that WHU/Everton result we are mathematically guaranteed top 4. Steady improvements under Ole.

Nice not to be involved in the annual slow-bicycle race for 4th.

It'll all count for nowt if we don't look to kick on from a decent position this summer.

Too often we've appeared happy with just qualifying for Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Rumours on twitter that Maguire might be out for the rest of the season and possibly even the Europa league final. Thought Maguire has been very solid in the second half of the season , massive blow if the rumours are true.

With how injury prone Bailly & Lindelof are, I wonder how Ole is going to manage Tuesday & Thursday's games now that Maguire is out. I hope we see Tuanzebe start on Tuesday. Feel like there's a good player in there but just hasn't been given a run of games to really prove himself.

Calling Dr Jones, Dr Jones Dr Jones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Also makes Liverpool favourites for 4th now, we should beat Leicester on Tuesday although I do hope we rest everyone

Nice not to be involved in the annual slow-bicycle race for 4th.

It'll all count for nowt if we don't look to kick on from a decent position this summer.

Too often we've appeared happy with just qualifying for Champions League

Yep, hopefully we can finish as close to city as possible. IMO it’s been our best season since Fergie. We’re not scraping top 4 and we’ve flirted with challenging. Bruno’s not carrying the team anymore and we’re playing some decent stuff. But, yeah, it means nothing if we don’t kick on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The 3 goals all originated from the right today too with 6 different players scoring/assisting which is nice to see.

I thought we played quite well today. Villa's high energy caused us some problems but we had just arrived back from Rome on Friday and Villa had a full week to prepare. Not that surprising that they can beat us in the intensity stakes for periods of the game.

I think we are so much better at creating opportunities in games where we dominate possession now compared to a year ago and that's not by chance.

Cavani gets a lot of love these days but Greenwood really is a talent. If the drive is there to improve certain elements of his game then who knows where his ceiling is.

paulbok wrote: »

Yeah Maguire will be painkillered up to the max for the EL final and he will ask for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

paulbok wrote: »

In Breaking News Manchester United defender Phil Jones has been ruled out for the rest of the season. He injured himself attempting to answer his phone.

Its belived Paulbok is responsible for the dangerous phone call.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement