Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

paulbok wrote: »
    Calling Dr Jones, Dr Jones Dr Jones

Call a Dr for Jones more like

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

kerplun k wrote: »
    And with that WHU/Everton result we are mathematically guaranteed top 4. Steady improvements under Ole.

First time since Fergie retired that we have got CL football via Top 4 two years in a row. :D

Picking our starting XI for the europa final based on people being fit and current form who out of Pogba/Rashford isn't starting?

In my opinion Cavani is locked on and Greenwood should be on the right based on form and being the best available to play that position.

That leaves Pogba & Rashford fighting for the spot on the left. I don't think it suits the team to play Pogba in midfield as we have seen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ole bottle it and bench Greenwood and play Rashford on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Exactly wrote: »
    Picking our starting XI for the europa final based on people being fit and current form who out of Pogba/Rashford isn't starting?

In my opinion Cavani is locked on and Greenwood should be on the right based on form and being the best available to play that position.

That leaves Pogba & Rashford fighting for the spot on the left. I don't think it suits the team to play Pogba in midfield as we have seen.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ole bottle it and bench Greenwood and play Rashford on the right.

On form and tactically, it would be Pogba, Cavani, Greenwood for me. Those 3 look to pass and move and are a better front three to break down a cagey defence. You have Rashford to come on then as the game opens up and legs tire... Perfect for his more direct/running game.

I don't think that would be the case though. Greenwood or Cavani would miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Home leg vs Roma. That’s our strongest squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

There is no way Ole will drop Rashford. Greenwood will take the hit.

For me it should be Cavani, Pogba and Greenwood.

I hope Maguire is fit for it - I'm not his number 1 fan but the alternative choice back 4 is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. I think this shows why it's vital we go for a younger target man striker this summer.

I love Cavani and want him to stick around, but the guy is 34 with a history of injury issues. He's been great for us this season, but I think going into next season relying on him and Martial again is dangerous.

I look at his contributions and think "This shows the importance of a target man to the team and how we play". I look and think a Kane or a Halaand would be even more lethal.

If we could offload Martial, and go for a proper first team striker, while keeping Cavani as our back up, we'd be much stronger next season.

I think a defensive midfielder is a certainty. I see us buying one in the summer.
    Right winger or Striker... are we really gonna go through another season without a recognized right winger? I just can’t see it happening.
    Who in god’s name would take Martial off us atm?? especially with his wages. I really hope we get Sancho and wait a year for the striker. I know Cavani won’t play every match but that means Mason will get enough opportunities at the same time which he needs ! Buying a striker means that Rashford gets shifted onto the right more often than he should.
    Sancho and Rice please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Another outstanding performance today from Matheus Pereira for WBA....playing well consistently all season in a poor side on right wing.Is direct,pacy and a powerful dribbler....if Utd could get a few million for likes of Mata I wouldn’t mind seeing Ole take a punt on Pereira.Has 10 goals and 5 assists in a goal shy team.

Could be got for 12-15m.....a hell of a lot less than Amad and Pellestri (two for the future).....might turn out to cost the club.At 25 he is coming into his prime.

Would love to see Utd go for him if it looks like moves for Sancho or Grealish aren’t likely to happen this Summer.
    He could rotate with Greenwood on the right wing next Season if we were still waiting to get Sancho.

Another outstanding performance today from Matheus Pereira for WBA....playing well consistently all season in a poor side on right wing.Is direct,pacy and a powerful dribbler....if Utd could get a few million for likes of Mata I wouldn’t mind seeing Ole take a punt on Pereira.Has 10 goals and 5 assists in a goal shy team.

Could be got for 12-15m.....a hell of a lot less than Amad and Pellestri (two for the future).....might turn out to cost the club.At 25 he is coming into his prime.

Would love to see Utd go for him if it looks like moves for Sancho or Grealish aren’t likely to happen this Summer.
    He could rotate with Greenwood on the right wing next Season if we were still waiting to get Sancho.

He's had an impressive season and raiding the relegated teams can work out well for value but he's not an out and out right winger really.

He's left footed, plays on the left as much as the right from what I've seen... as well as playing behind the striker.

He would offer a lot of flexibility, could be an option for Bruno cover but I would like to see someone who's completely at home on the right.

PARlance wrote: »
    He's had an impressive season and raiding the relegated teams can work out well for value but he's not an out and out right winger really.

He's left footed, plays on the left as much as the right from what I've seen... as well as playing behind the striker.

He would offer a lot of flexibility, could be an option for Bruno cover but I would like to see someone who's completely at home on the right.

His preferred role is coming in from the right onto his stronger left foot...bit like Mason likes to,,is a forceful accomplished dribbler who puts in great crosses from either wing....agree with you in that it would be preferable to have a right footed right winger ala Kanchelskis but they are thin on the ground....Sancho the obvious one but if Dortmund make top 4 as their form suggests they will he is going to be back over 100m to sign:(

Likes of Pereira would be a great lad to have in the squad....is a far more complete player than Dan James for eg and could be got for less as he won’t want to hang around at WBA.I would snap WBA’s hand off to swop James for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Lord TSC wrote: »
    First time since Fergie retired that we have got CL football via Top 4 two years in a row. :D

OGS <3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Pereira not an Utd's level at all. Would any team in the top 6 look to sign him? I doubt it. Not the best at pressing and dosent have great pace.

Raphina at Leeds is a player that alot of clubs will probably be looking at. Bissouma Brighton will probably leave too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

pjohnson wrote: »
    In Breaking News Manchester United defender Phil Jones has been ruled out for the rest of the season. He injured himself attempting to answer his phone.

Its belived Paulbok is responsible for the dangerous phone call.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,341 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Next two games could be fecking horrid, no idea what Ole is going to do with the side.

He is going to have to make a big number of changes.

Maguire is surely out tomorrow night at least, so I would guess Bailly and Lindelof - Lindelof is going to have to play the next two games imo.

Telles as a nightmare defensively vs Roma, but have to imagine he starts tomorrow so Shaw can start vs Liverpool.

No real options over AWB, he might have to continue on and Ole might also be reluctant to make too many changes with Maguire out anyway.

maybe Matic, McT and VDB in midfield, with James, Greenwood and Mata the forward players? Keeping Bruno, Pogba, Fred, Rashford, Cavani fresh for Liverpool?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I think ole in playing a near full strength team yesterday has perfectly laid the groundwork for resting a large number of players tomorrow and rotating a good few of the first XI back in on Thursday. It leaves little room for questioning why resting so many v Leicester and playing a strong team v Liverpool, assuming that's what we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Tomorrow will be pretty much the second string.

Not that bothered about Leicester anyway. They are in awful form

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

We ain't winning the league so happy enough to see the reserves tomorrow night, a Leicester victory will help them secure top 4 so I'd nearly be shouting for them, think I'll be avoiding this game as I'd nearly prefer to see us lose as bad as that sounds.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

VW 1 wrote: »
    I think ole in playing a near full strength team yesterday has perfectly laid the groundwork for resting a large number of players tomorrow and rotating a good few of the first XI back in on Thursday. It leaves little room for questioning why resting so many v Leicester and playing a strong team v Liverpool, assuming that's what we do.

That would be my guess too.
    Realistically nothing riding on either game, (yeah I know mathematically it's still possible), so makes sense to play as near as possible the B team against Leicester, (they may even rest a few ahead of the FA cup but are more likely to want to secure top 4) and go for it against Liverpool.
    Playing a strong team against both risks injuries ahead of the final, and it would be better to take points off pool, ideally with a late VAR Fernandes penalty.

I would really like to see United finish second, and finish strongly. So I would like us to win out the season and finsih on 82 points. Or 3 wins and a draw and finish on 80.

While there would be obvious reasons and excuses, if we were to lose the next two games it would be a downer.

But really the only game to be really concerned about in terms of winning is the EL final. I want us to win the trophy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

paulbok wrote: »
    That would be my guess too.
    Realistically nothing riding on either game, (yeah I know mathematically it's still possible), so makes sense to play as near as possible the B team against Leicester, (they may even rest a few ahead of the FA cup but are more likely to want to secure top 4) and go for it against Liverpool.
    Playing a strong team against both risks injuries ahead of the final, and it would be better to take points off pool, ideally with a late VAR Fernandes penalty.

I would be of the view that we don't give up on a title push until it is mathematically impossible but that some rotation must happen over the 2 games due to the proximity but why is everyone fielding a stronger team against Liverpool? Leicester are the only team left to play that can leap frog our position no? Unless you want to argue that it should be the easier game going on their form and cup distraction...

wadacrack wrote: »
    Pereira not an Utd's level at all. Would any team in the top 6 look to sign him? I doubt it. Not the best at pressing and dosent have great pace.

Raphina at Leeds is a player that alot of clubs will probably be looking at. Bissouma Brighton will probably leave too.

Just what exactly is Utd's level if our current right wing options are Dan James and Amad?

I'm not saying Pereira is from the top drawer but he would be an immediate improvement on James and also can play in the hole or on left wing,he delivers great crosses which likes of Cavani if still around would thrive on.

Raphina is a better player but would probably cost the guts of 25m more than Pereira for example.

My point is that if Utd don't get a Sancho level right sided player this Summer they definitely need to sign a better player for that side for next Season than we currently have in likes of James or Amad....would be unfair on Greenwood to be playing 40+ games out there at his age.

So great if we spend 45/50m on Raphina but I don't think the Glazers will stretch to that level of expenditure if they are also signing a quality DM and possible CF or CB in the Summer.In that scenario someone like Pereira for 15m would be a useful squad addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I would be of the view that we don't give up on a title push until it is mathematically impossible but that some rotation must happen over the 2 games due to the proximity but why is everyone fielding a stronger team against Liverpool? Leicester are the only team left to play that can leap frog our position no? Unless you want to argue that it should be the easier game going on their form and cup distraction...

More so the game is the one in middle and only 52 hours after we played Villa.

Recovery and greater chance of injury being the concern.

See your point though otherwise

Chelsea could beat us to second place too.

We are on 70. Chelsea can get to 73. Leicester can get to 72.

Chelsea and Leicester play each other as well though, so either one will be dropping 3 points from that total or both will be dropping 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Be great to give the Ivorian Messi and Geordie Cruyff a start tomorrow but I don't see it happening.

Matic, Mata and James will start anyway you'd imagine. Maybe start Cavani with the idea of taking him off after an hour. Bruno hates taking games off so that's most of the front 5 there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Any word on maguire?

• Advertisement

Hococop wrote: »
    Any word on maguire?

not yet, scans today. is there a press conference for tomorrow's game? If there isn't I wouldn't think we will hear anything until pre-match tomorrow.

Even then I wonder if the club will simply say he hasn't recovered in time, so that whether he is playing vs Liverpool is still a question.

I'd love us to win both games and be 4 off City when they play Newcastle on Friday, they could get a case of squeaky bum time, but realistically 3 games in 5 days is a big ask for any team to win all of them. And they are not going to not win at least one more game, 2 draws is enough for them with the GD.
    As Mitch said, the only game that matters now is the final, anything out of the remaining league games apart from no injuries is a bonus.

I've been a big critic of Ole and have said it would take a comfortable top 4 and a cup for me to give him another season, so I'm not going to demand more of him at this stage of the season, especially if it could jeopardize winning the final. next season is a different matter, but that's parked for now.

Leicester are in free fall, our B team could well beat them and in any case they have a horrible fixture list to end the season so won't be passing us out.
    Liverpool are Liverpool and all that goes with that game; rivalry, put one one over on the outgoing champions, dent their top 4 chances, so a little more to play for in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Saying Leicester are in free fall is a bit of an exaggeration imo.
    They won 3 of their last 4 games before Newcastle at the weekend.

And it's only about 6 weeks ago they totally bossed us, winning 3-1. Granted it was the FA Cup....but we still had a pretty strong team out.

Fully expecting a number of changes tomorrow night. Maguire will definitely be missing of course, and a few others like Shaw, Cavani, Fred and maybe Rashford
    too will likely be benched. Bruno ideally should be given a break but he's so important to this team it's very possible he'll play all 3 games.

Our strength in depth not really what it should be and this week is going to test our squad options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Henderson
    AWB, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Telles
    McTominay, Matic, VDB
    Mata, Greenwood & James

That’s what I can see lining out tomorrow night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Fantastic news. Now get rid of Martial and buy world class CDM and a partner for Maguire.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Fantastic news. Now get rid of Martial and buy world class CDM and a partner for Maguire.

Getting rid of martial would mean we need to add a striker to your list of signings.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Henderson
    AWB, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Telles
    McTominay, Matic, VDB
    Mata, Greenwood & James

That’s what I can see lining out tomorrow night

Is James not injured? Has been out injured in recent matches anyway. Maybe he will be available tomorrow.

Next two games could be fecking horrid, no idea what Ole is going to do with the side.

He is going to have to make a big number of changes.

Maguire is surely out tomorrow night at least, so I would guess Bailly and Lindelof - Lindelof is going to have to play the next two games imo.

Telles as a nightmare defensively vs Roma, but have to imagine he starts tomorrow so Shaw can start vs Liverpool.

No real options over AWB, he might have to continue on and Ole might also be reluctant to make too many changes with Maguire out anyway.

maybe Matic, McT and VDB in midfield, with James, Greenwood and Mata the forward players? Keeping Bruno, Pogba, Fred, Rashford, Cavani fresh for Liverpool?

Think we'll see something like below:

DDG
    Tuanzebe, Bailly, Lindelof, Telles
    Matic, McTom
    Amad, Mata, Donny
    Cavani

DeGea coming in makes sense to me.
    Lindelof actually started the Stephen's Day fixture Vs Leicester at RB, with Tuanzebe replacing him... I had originally thought that AWB would play all 3 games but Tuanzebe might get the nod.
    Matic in for a bit of protection.
    Cavani won't start Vs Liverpool imo so I think he'll start tomorrow.
    I've stuck Mata in at 10 but I wouldn't be surprised if Bruno plays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611278fd19b3501654f9d4d509cc86e5626893064c2&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Great news. We will have at least 50 - 60 games next season. If he is available for half those then happy days. We have to remember that this season has been massively truncated so games will not be coming nearly as thick and fast next year.

PARlance wrote: »
    Think we'll see something like below:

DDG
    Tuanzebe, Bailly, Lindelof, Telles
    Matic, McTom
    James, Mata, Donny
    Cavani

DeGea coming in makes sense to me.
    Lindelof actually started the Stephen's Day fixture Vs Leicester at RB, with Tuanzebe replacing him... I had originally thought that AWB would play all 3 games but Tuanzebe might get the nod.
    Matic in for a bit of protection.
    Cavani won't start Vs Liverpool imo so I think he'll start tomorrow.
    I've stuck Mata in at 10 but I wouldn't be surprised if Bruno plays.

Cavani has to start against Liverpool. With their inexperience at centre half and his movement he could have a field day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Give it give it give to Edi Cavani...pass him the ball and watch him score all the goals!

Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Cavani has to start against Liverpool. With their inexperience at centre half and his movement he could have a field day.

I think we will rotate slightly against Leicester and at the weekend and go full strength vs Pool.

Ole won't want to lose to Pool especially with a potential protest outside the stadium.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I think we will rotate slightly against Leicester and at the weekend and go full strength vs Pool.

Ole won't want to lose to Pool especially with a potential protest outside the stadium.

Liverpool is on Thursday. not at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Just what exactly is Utd's level if our current right wing options are Dan James and Amad?

I'm not saying Pereira is from the top drawer but he would be an immediate improvement on James and also can play in the hole or on left wing,he delivers great crosses which likes of Cavani if still around would thrive on.

Raphina is a better player but would probably cost the guts of 25m more than Pereira for example.

My point is that if Utd don't get a Sancho level right sided player this Summer they definitely need to sign a better player for that side for next Season than we currently have in likes of James or Amad....would be unfair on Greenwood to be playing 40+ games out there at his age.

So great if we spend 45/50m on Raphina but I don't think the Glazers will stretch to that level of expenditure if they are also signing a quality DM and possible CF or CB in the Summer.In that scenario someone like Pereira for 15m would be a useful squad addition.

Theirs alot of talent coming through with a much higher ceiling than Perierra. Anthony Elanga, Shoretire, McNeill, Amad.

Useful squad option is not what United need now. You failed to mention that Greenwood is playing their.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Liverpool is on Thursday. not at the weekend.

Thought we had a different league game at the weekend after pool on Thursday?

If it's only Fulham next Tuesday then probably rotate some against them.

He didn't start at Anfield and he wasn't in the starting team announced last Sunday, before the postponement.

I'd be delighted if he starts but I don't think he will.

Mighty news on Cavani.....the fact that he is on a great run of form at the moment would have played a huge factor in him agreeing to stay on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Just thinking Mason probably dead cert for prem league player of the month? Or at least close... 4 goals in 4 games is good form and I think one or two assists too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Is the Fergie documentary available to watch yet? It's not due to be released until the end of the month but I could've sworn I saw people talk about it (either on here, RedCafe or Reddit, I can't remember).

Maybe I imagined it....

Edit: Sorted, thanks very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Is the Fergie documentary available to watch yet? It's not due to be released until the end of the month but I could've sworn I saw people talk about it (either on here, RedCafe or Reddit, I can't remember).

Maybe I imagined it....

Yeah it is indeed. I watched it on my iptv server the weekend, Very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Great news on Cavani, hopefully the younger players will soak up what he offers as a striker for Utd. They can learn so much from a striker like him. I think we won't get a striker in with this news. I see us going for possibly another CB, a CDM (hopefully) and maybe a right sided player. All part funded by Dalot, Lingard, Fred or Matic going out

On another note I do have sympathy for Watkins. For me it was never a dive. Wasn't a pen obviously but he didn't dive either. When a player launches in just trying to avoid the contact can cause a player to lose balance. I didn't think it was a dive myself, just felt he anticipated contact that was minimal at best and he list balance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Olé gets an apology from The Telegraph.

https://twitter.com/TheFergusonWay/status/1391763303836250115

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement