Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the Fergie documentary available to watch yet? It's not due to be released until the end of the month but I could've sworn I saw people talk about it (either on here, RedCafe or Reddit, I can't remember).

Maybe I imagined it....

Edit: Sorted, thanks very much.

There's one on Netflix if that's what you're after.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

On another note the young fella starts work today with a company representing premiership clubs in England. Been knocking on the door for the last 6 months and had a few last round interviews knockbacks from some really decent clubs. Never lost faith though which is a credit to him and is now going to be based in Manchester only 5 minutes from his place of worship (he says himself) absolutely delighted for him, he'll never work a day again when he loves what he does. The stopovers for the oul chap has just got a lot easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

On another note the young fella starts work today with a company representing premiership clubs in England. Been knocking on the door for the last 6 months and had a few last round interviews knockbacks from some really decent clubs. Never lost faith though which is a credit to him and is now going to be based in Manchester only 5 minutes from his place of worship (he says himself) absolutely delighted for him, he'll never work a day again when he loves what he does. The stopovers for the oul chap has just got a lot easier

Good on him and congrats to him. Wishing him well. I'd love to work at something I'm so passionate about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Deadly, always thought about how good it would be to live in Manchester and have a season ticket... go to every match. Congrats to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

If one player deserves to play in front of a packed Old Trafford it's him...hope he can keep fit next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Julez wrote: »
    Deadly, always thought about how good it would be to live in Manchester and have a season ticket... go to every match. Congrats to him.

He absolutely lives and breathes Utd and the other half is equally as bad, match made in heaven. Their first thought was season tickets ha, he'll go to every match underage and senior that he can. Throw in plenty of Salford games as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

jk23 wrote: »
    If one player deserves to play in front of a packed Old Trafford it's him...hope he can keep fit next year

Bruno! Barely got any games in before lockdown so will be amazing to get him in front of the OT crowd week on week

Bruno! Barely got any games in before lockdown so will be amazing to get him in front of the OT crowd week on week

Very good point, I completely forgot the covid started soon after he joined...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Absolutely brilliant news on Cavani!

Fair play to them getting it done. Ole clearly has been trying to convince him for a while and you got the feeling he was close it being done or knew he was going to sign by his comments yesterday.

• Advertisement

That was one of the tactics Ole was rolling out in convincing him. I remember him mentioning that he needs to experience a full crowd in Old Trafford.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    That was one of the tactics Ole was rolling out in convincing him. I remember him mentioning that he needs to experience a full crowd in Old Trafford.

Just a pity he couldn't have been signed a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Here for the payday, they said.

Stole our hearts, he did.

It's a long long time since I've been so excited about a contract extension at United.

Just a pity he couldn't have been signed a few years ago

I think we where in for him at Napoli hut psg beat us to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

wadacrack wrote: »
    Theirs alot of talent coming through with a much higher ceiling than Perierra. Anthony Elanga, Shoretire, McNeill, Amad.

Useful squad option is not what United need now. You failed to mention that Greenwood is playing their.

I think if you read my initial post you will find I did in last sentence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

There's one on Netflix if that's what you're after.

That's a few years old now, there is a new one about Sir Alex recounting chapters of his life after and the day he had his brain injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Next two games could be fecking horrid, no idea what Ole is going to do with the side.

He is going to have to make a big number of changes.

Maguire is surely out tomorrow night at least, so I would guess Bailly and Lindelof - Lindelof is going to have to play the next two games imo.

Telles as a nightmare defensively vs Roma, but have to imagine he starts tomorrow so Shaw can start vs Liverpool.

No real options over AWB, he might have to continue on and Ole might also be reluctant to make too many changes with Maguire out anyway.

maybe Matic, McT and VDB in midfield, with James, Greenwood and Mata the forward players? Keeping Bruno, Pogba, Fred, Rashford, Cavani fresh for Liverpool?

Would think that Williams deserves a start at rb to allow AWB a rest tomorrow night.AWB has clocked up serious minutes so far this season and needs minding before the Euro final.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FinnC

jayo26 wrote: »
    That's a few years old now, there is a new one about Sir Alex recounting chapters of his life after and the day he had his brain injury.

Always find it strange when Irish people use the “Sir” title.
    I’m assuming you’re Irish of course...

I think we where in for him at Napoli hut psg beat us to it

I say he was on some money at PSG as well...but they let go Tuchel, Cavani and Tiago Silvia who are all in European finals now!

Cavani is the most Ferguson style striker I have seen since Ruud....would have been even better I think under fergie which is scary

FinnC wrote: »
    Always find it strange when Irish people use the “Sir” title.
    I’m assuming you’re Irish of course...

If I think someone is worthy of it I don't have an issue with using it. Not really the place to be discussing that tho ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Great news about Cavani. A brilliant role model for Rashford and Greenwood.

billyhead wrote: »

And J.Lingz :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

billyhead wrote: »

And martial and Pogba on how senior players can still contribute substantially even when they aren’t totally happy in life....

The Cavani extension also says a lot about Ole. Does he stay another year at a club of a manager he doesn’t rate? Not for me. I think he believes he could leave Europe with a title or CL.

His age is not a factor, it’s his fitness that may be the problem. He’s not a player that relies on speed , an extra 12 months should make no difference, he will prob be like Zlatan, a player whose ability holds up really well to aging. He’s just so what this squad needed.

jayo26 wrote: »
    If I think someone is worthy of it I don't have an issue with using it. Not really the place to be discussing that tho ha.

Use it all you want, I just find it very strange is all and not one I’d think most Irish people would be comfortable using for obvious reasons.
    You knock yourself out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Sigh!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Use it all you want, I just find it very strange is all and not one I’d think most Irish people would be comfortable using for obvious reasons.
    Sir Alex is how he's been referred to by the club and in the media for the last 20 years. It's not really surprising that people, no matter where they're from, also use the name.
    He's regularly referred to as SAF on here too.

You're honestly the first person I've ever seen make an issue (even if it is minor) out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Best we start calling him Sir Alexander so.

I’m not really asking anyone or expecting anyone to care.Like I said to the other young fella knock yourselves out and use it all you want. It’s very odd IMO but then maybe I’m from a different generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Cavani staying another season brilliant. All I need now is Glaziers to do one now and I can go back to OT a happy man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I’m not really asking anyone or expecting anyone to care.Like I said to the other young fella knock yourselves out and use it all you want. It’s very odd IMO but then maybe I’m from a different generation.

For some reason.....
    Cool story bro..
    That’s what she said.
    That’s what she said....

....I don't think its a generational issue.

Ok I’ve obviously upset a few of you, which was never my intention.
    I’ve many many friends whom are Man United fans and never once have I heard any of them ever say Sir Alex. It’s not something you’d expect anyone outside of British people get excited about. I never hear Roy Keane ever say it for example.
    Obviously a lot of you guys have no problem with it so good luck to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I've rarely been so happy about a contract extension being signed. His work-rate and movement are just ridiculous.

If we lost Cavani and Pogba, then it would feel like we needed two players to just get back to where we currently are, nevermind the 3 (possibly 4) that we need to genuinely challenge for the title.

Hopefully we can get Pogba's situation sorted before that circus starts up again.

It's probably too much to ask for, but wouldn't it be brilliant that if just one time, the Summer transfer business gets sorted without any sagas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

What's the obvious reasons? He got his title for the 99 treble, not for starving us out or taking our lands. He's also a Scot who are not exactly known for their enamourment with the crown. Bizarre thing to question tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ok I’ve obviously upset a few of you, which was never my intention.
    I’ve many many friends whom are Man United fans and never once have I heard any of them ever say Sir Alex. It’s not something you’d expect anyone outside of British people get excited about. I never hear Roy Keane ever say it for example.
    Obviously a lot of you guys have no problem with it so good luck to you.

I get about as excited calling him Sir Alex as I do calling you FinnC.

I dont think anyone is upset either by just using someones name. Its not like he is called **** ******* ******* ****** III.

Its just a very unique angle for conversation starter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

pjohnson wrote: »
    Best we start calling him Sir Alexander so.

Alexander Ferguson
    We are waiting on the wings for you.
    You could never back down.
    You never learned to take your tiiiiiime!
    Oooooh Alexander Ferguson!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Most ex players call Fergie Boss or the gaffer most supporters call him Fergie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He absolutely lives and breathes Utd and the other half is equally as bad, match made in heaven. Their first thought was season tickets ha, he'll go to every match underage and senior that he can. Throw in plenty of Salford games as well

If he can get the season ticket he should go all out to get it.

He won’t regret it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Sir Edison Cavani

And to our finest fan sir Rachel Riley we salute you.

Sir Luke Chadwick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Sir Luke Chadwick

Ahem, use his proper title please

"Sir Lucas of Chadwick"

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ahem, use his proper title please

"Sir Lucas of Chadwick"

chadwickshire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

FWIW, I find it odd too, but have no issue with it and wouldn't call anyone up on it.

Geldof, however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fulham relegated, might as well go for the annual suggestion of signing (the I can't believe he's only 26 year old) Mitrovic.

Personally I'd have him over Martial and just have a feeling that he'd be a player that would improve / rise to playing for us... As a squad player obviously.

We're a much better team with a traditional CF. Cavani has shown that, heck, even Igahlo showed it for a brief spell when playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Wait....what.....just in from work...did I hear right???

Cavani is staying?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

py2006 wrote: »
    Wait....what.....just in from work...did I hear right???

Cavani is staying?!?!?

Yeah he's staying for another season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PARlance wrote: »
    Fulham relegated, might as well go for the annual suggestion of signing (the I can't believe he's only 26 year old) Mitrovic.

Personally I'd have him over Martial and just have a feeling that he'd be a player that would improve / rise to playing for us... As a squad player obviously.

We're a much better team with a traditional CF. Cavani has shown that, heck, even Igahlo showed it for a brief spell when playing.

Was thinking the sane earlier, I've championed him previous summers too. But looking back over his numbers I just couldn't bring myself to write the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Yeah he's staying for another season.

Sounds like we won't be signing Haaland or Kane this summer then? I doubt Cavani would sign if he was reduced to 10 games for the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Getting rid of martial would mean we need to add a striker to your list of signings.

Not really if you think about it. Rashford, Greenwood and Cavani along with am acemedy graduate can cover striking duties all far better than Martial. That leaves Pogba, James and Diallo along with Rashford and Greenwood to cover the wings.

Given Telles assists numbers for the past few seasons in Portugal I see no reason why he could not cover on the wings if needed.

Thus window should be about improving defence, getting cover for AWB and getting a holding midfielder who can set the tempo and link attack and defence. Fred cannot and will not be upto standard for this. A good squad player but will never win the league with him as first chioce..A good DM will also allow McTomaniny to get forward more he has added goals to his game this season could also allow Donny to get a run of games.

The thing is after all the fan protests the owners are terrified of more especially next season when it could affect ticket revenue and attendance at games. I have no doubt they will hand Ole a massive budget to work with this summer and give him more of an input to the negotiations.

I'd expect to see one big big signing like Sancho, possibly a big CB signing I'd say Varane as for a DM I'd like to see Parades as he has that aggression and passing that's needed but doubt very much he is available.. possibly Nididi

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement