Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

py2006 wrote: »
    Wait....what.....just in from work...did I hear right???

Cavani is staying?!?!?

Yes Sir!

Oops...sorry...............Yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

So, that’s basically confirmation one of DDG or Hendo is off, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »

Nah, Grant replacement id say, Heaton is 35 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Trigger wrote: »
    Nah, Grant replacement id say, Heaton is 35 now

Did Grant not sign an one year extension and mention continuing coaching work?

Can see him joining Carrick and co. as staff when he does retire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

pjohnson wrote: »
    Did Grant not sign an one year extension and mention continuing coaching work?

Can see him joining Carrick and co. as staff when he does retire.

His current contract is up at the end of this season, hasnt signed a new one yet, there was rumours recently enough that the club pulled their offer. not sure how accurate that is tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Well, it is slightly untenable for your back-up keeper to be the highest paid player in the squad!

Either way United are committing way too much of the wage budget on goalkeepers and you'd imagine something has to give?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Unsure how they will offload DDG but have gotten more toxic contracts off the books that last few years I suppose. The defense is so much better with Henderson in it but I'm not sure he is the long term answer to the position. Good-possibly great in time keeper but not ever going to be world class I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

25 years ago today. Makes me feel young.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Liam O wrote: »
    Unsure how they will offload DDG but have gotten more toxic contracts off the books that last few years I suppose. The defense is so much better with Henderson in it but I'm not sure he is the long term answer to the position. Good-possibly great in time keeper but not ever going to be world class I feel.
    More than likely DDG leaves on loan with Utd covering a large portion of his salary. No club is going to cover his full salary or give him a permanent contract anywhere near his Utd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

n defence I think Fosu-Mensah should be gone if they can get 3 or 4 million for him.

Just on this, we sold Fosu Mensah last January to Bayer Leverkusen for £1.5m I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

And then picked up another bad ACL injury since he was sold :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,342 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PSG looks a good spot for DDG. they obviously have money, and I reckon they would like an upgrade on Navas. I reckon they could get him on a good deal, to be honest. Though they may get the young milan keeper, he is out of contract in a couple of months and would be a 'free' transfer. Between Juve, PSG and staying at Milan for that lad I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

PSG looks a good spot for DDG. they obviously have money, and I reckon they would like an upgrade on Navas. I reckon they could get him on a good deal, to be honest. Though they may get the young milan keeper, he is out of contract in a couple of months and would be a 'free' transfer. Between Juve, PSG and staying at Milan for that lad I reckon

His big problem is that the big 3 in Spain are set for their GKs for the rest of his career pretty much. In hindsight for him, that Real deal falling through was a nightmare for him. Worked for United all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Wonder if we'll see more part exchanges given the year that has been, I think we will.

Martial +50m for Sancho
    Jesse +50m for Rice

I think those are deals that work for all concerned.

Throw in a Telles like signing at RB and I would be relatively happy with that. I'm not completely convinced by Rice but Lingard could make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

PARlance wrote: »

Throw in a Telles like signing at RB and I would be relatively happy with that. I'm not completely convinced by Rice but Lingard could make it happen.

Personally think Dalot will do as a backup to AWB,,, more important areas to invest in.

Seamus Coleman will only have a year on his contract come the summer. Could be one to take a look at. May have zero interest in being a back up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Liam O wrote: »

Henderson becoming no.1 is a mistake and will be a step backward for the Utd team imo. He's just not at DDGs level and it could be something we really come to regret next season.

A couple of things seem to be or could be happening behind the scenes. DDG may have let it be know that he wants to leave and the club are preparing for that. One thing we know for sure is that Henderson is ambitious, he has made it know he wants to be our and England's number 1.

In turn Utd have invested a lot of time and money in him and may not want to risk losing him by making him second choice for another season. Its a tricky one, I'm not sure Henderson is a complete enough article yet for the step up to Utd no1 spot.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Personally think Dalot will do as a backup to AWB,,, more important areas to invest in.

When they're gone, they're gone imo...

I don't think Ole sent him out on loan for experience, I don't think he rates him at all. It's a loan to sell imo.

In turn Utd have invested a lot of time and money in him and may not want to risk losing him by making him second choice for another season. Its a tricky one, I'm not sure Henderson is a complete enough article yet for the step up to Utd no1 spot.

One of them is getting sold in the summer, imo. Just a matter of which one we offload. I reckon the club would prefer to offload DDG, wages being a big reason. But we can't forget that DDG has been quite poor much of this season and much of last season. at fault for a number of goals, and not being 'worth' a few goals either. He was very good vs Roma away imo, to be fair. Lucky on one of the saves, but a couple of excellent stops.

There is also the argument that even at his best, DDG has issues that are a problem for the defence - his low starting position and poor command of the area being big ones. While Romero didn't have the shot stopping of DDG, the difference even he made on crosses was noticable. I think Henderson has shown that as well at times.

Henderson mightn't reach the shot stopping ability of DDG, but his higher starting position and claiming crosses may be factors that way higher on his side.

• Advertisement

When they're gone, they're gone imo...

I don't think Ole sent him out on loan for experience, I don't think he rates him at all. It's a loan to sell imo.

That can be the intention, but if Milan don't want to buy he is back at OT in the summer. Likely club will try to loan or sell elsewhere, but I can see the club being reluctant to buy a backup right back unless Dalot is gone somewhere (loan or sale)

That can be the intention, but if Milan don't want to buy he is back at OT in the summer. Likely club will try to loan or sell elsewhere, but I can see the club being reluctant to buy a backup right back unless Dalot is gone somewhere (loan or sale)

True, I think he'll be off in any case. If not Milan, Rome will probably be calling.

I think we're getting better at cutting our losses in these scenarios.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I think Dalot is probably gone for good too imo. Ole didn't seem to rate him at all when he was here. Fosu Mensah was somehow ahead of him in the pecking order.

I think Trippier would be a decent Telles-like signing for RB. There were rumours he wanted to move back to England and he's from Bury as it is. I know he was questionable defensively with Spurs but you'd imagine anyone playing under Simeone would be defensively very good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think Dalot is probably gone for good too imo. Ole didn't seem to rate him at all when he was here. Fosu Mensah was somehow ahead of him in the pecking order.

I think Trippier would be a decent Telles-like signing for RB. There were rumours he wanted to move back to England and he's from Bury as it is. I know he was questionable defensively with Spurs but you'd imagine anyone playing under Simeone would be defensively very good.
    Trippier is first choice RB at a CL club who could be champions of Spain in two weeks. Why would he move to Utd to be back up to AWB at the age of 30?

would also think if we are signing a rb, their offensive ability will be more important than defensive, to offer a different option to AWB. Being able to swap AWB out for a more attacking option if we are struggling to break a side down.

Trippier is first choice RB at a CL club who could be champions of Spain in two weeks. Why would he move to Utd to be back up to AWB at the age of 30?

Money? Home sick?

Its not a shout out of nowhere, was being linked last january as well. As you say, reasons why it wouldn't happen, but there does seem to be interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

How do we see tonight's team selection going?

Points on the board as quickly as possible is the line most managers follow, but realistically I can't really see a weakened team vs Liverpool on Thursday as an option.
    It's still the biggest fixture of the season for many United fans. Plus it has the added spice of seriously damaging their Top 4 hopes if we win!

This evening's game is the more realistic one for rotation imo (and again next Tuesday against already relegated Fulham).

Expecting to see Telles at LB, Matic and James (if fit) starting.
    Bailly will most likely be the one to replace Maguire. Bruno realistically should get a rest......but probably Ole is reluctant to do that.

Henderson

AWB---Bailly----Lindelof----Telles

Matic McTom

Greenwood
    Bruno/VDB
    James

Rashford

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd like to see Amad get a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1392118872090812418
    The arrest was in relation to a breach of the Manchester United grounds and an officer who was left with a broken eye socket, broken nose and a slash to the face after an object was thrown at his face. He continues to receive medical treatment for his injuries.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'd like to see Amad get a game.

He'll come on as a sub, at best. probably today rather than Liverpool. Can't see him going from very few/limited minutes in the EL to starting a PL game, or even getting significant game time.

I think he'll come on late to try give one of the forwards a rest prior to liverpool. If Rashford or Greenwood start, he will come on for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Zeek12 wrote: »
    How do we see tonight's team selection going?

Points on the board as quickly as possible is the line most managers follow, but realistically I can't really see a weakened team vs Liverpool on Thursday as an option.
    It's still the biggest fixture of the season for many United fans. Plus it has the added spice of seriously damaging their Top 4 hopes if we win!

This evening's game is the more realistic one for rotation imo (and again next Tuesday against already relegated Fulham).

Expecting to see Telles at LB, Matic and James (if fit) starting.
    Bailly will most likely be the one to replace Maguire. Bruno realistically should get a rest......but probably Ole is reluctant to do that.

Henderson

AWB---Bailly----Lindelof----Telles

Matic McTom

Greenwood
    Bruno/VDB
    James

Rashford

De Gea, Williams, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Telles, Matic, Van de Beek, Mata, Amad, Greenwood, Elanga.

its all over twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Great stuff.

I'm 100% behind the protests and want the Glazers out, but fcukng Jesus, slashing/assaulting police is ridiculous.

That would be a proper hilarious team. Klopp will freak out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

That would be a proper hilarious team. Klopp will freak out.

So will Moyes. He's been moaning about our schedule as he think it will affect the players and they're more likely to drop points to his competition for Champions League football.

Pipmae wrote: »
    So will Moyes. He's been moaning about our schedule as he think it will affect the players and they're more likely to drop points to his competition for Champions League football.

Don't worry David, we're going to make it as difficult as we can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Don't worry David, we're going to make it as difficult as we can.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Navas only signed a contract extension recently, also think PSG would rather strengthen other areas of their 11.

I just don't see who would pay the money/wages for De Gea. All 3 Spanish teams are sorted, lets assume Navas extension guarantees him as their number 1. Who else is left? A loan somewhere? Cant see him wanting to go to a team not in the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,166 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

unplayable wrote: »
    De Gea, Williams, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Telles, Matic, Van de Beek, Mata, Amad, Greenwood, Elanga.

its all over twitter.
    I love how Elanga is the striker. Given he is a natural left winger just fits perfectly :pac:

Everyone we have wants to play left ffs.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I love how Elanga is the striker. Given he is a natural left winger just fits perfectly :pac:

Everyone we have wants to play left ffs.

Surely it would be Greenwood up front, Elanga at Lw and Amad at RW?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Should just play the game at Carrington. Avoid the protests and give it a proper practice game feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Just on this, we sold Fosu Mensah last January to Bayer Leverkusen for £1.5m I believe.

Thought it was only a loan deal....he never really made it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Thought it was only a loan deal....he never really made it.

There is a really solid player in there he just has had a horrid run of injuries. Even going to Germany he picks up another injury that's ruled him out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

jayo26 wrote: »
    There is a really solid player in there he just has had a horrid run of injuries. Even going to Germany he picks up another injury that's ruled him out again.

Never seen it in any of his loan spells. Never looked up to it.

Severally lacking the skills to play for a top club.

Henderson becoming no.1 is a mistake and will be a step backward for the Utd team imo. He's just not at DDGs level and it could be something we really come to regret next season.

A couple of things seem to be or could be happening behind the scenes. DDG may have let it be know that he wants to leave and the club are preparing for that. One thing we know for sure is that Henderson is ambitious, he has made it know he wants to be our and England's number 1.

Mitch pretty much said it but we look better already with Henderson in the team, whether he's the finished article or not yet. De Gea just isn't consistent enough anymore to cover up for his obvious weaknesses.

The club has really handed out some terrible contracts in recent times: Rooney (arguable but was on the decline) Sanchez, De Gea, Martial.

Maybe they've learned, maybe Ole has more influence now, but the not jumping in to offer Pogba a huge raise is promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Henderson has the best save % in the league. 82% or something. I wasn't sold on him but starting to warm to him and the fact that he claims crosses and sweeps up behind the defence are major plus points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,115 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Henderson has the best save % in the league. 82% or something. I wasn't sold on him but starting to warm to him and the fact that he claims crosses and sweeps up behind the defence are major plus points

A big plus with him is his willingness to come off his line and attack the ball. I'm sure it will cost us a goal or two over the course of a season but that's acceptable for the overall danger it snuffs out.

Elanga and Amad starts..... oh to see Klopps face now.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1392147543677706241

Who wins between the starting line up and the bench, 11 vs 9?

unplayable wrote: »

its all over twitter.

Confirmed

Happy enough with that level of rotation in the circumstances. Don't know a whole pile about Elanga though, so will be interested to see him and Amad.

If Mata pulls the strings and looks good I'll continue to be puzzled by his complete lack of involvement.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/1392147543677706241

Who wins between the starting line up and the bench, 11 vs 9?

Apart from Matic, I am very excited to see how the team does.

Bailly and Axel are an interesting pairing, always liked Axel and Bailey, when fit, can be great.

Looking forward to see how Williams gets on at RB, havent seen much of him at RB.

The 2 wingers excite me too as hopes of the future and hope Greenwood shows more of himself in CF.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement