Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

nullzero wrote: »

Decent chance of finishing third now.

Leicester can only get 6 more points ( beating Chelsea and spurs) to get 72 pts

Chelsea have to beat arsenal , Leicester, villa to get 73

While united have 70 so even if one of them do that just have to get 3 pts from 3 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'm not sure people have grasped this but United played less then 48 hours earlier.. After playing nearly 60 games this season. It wasn't a case of saving the players for Liverpool it was a case of not overplaying them in such a short space of time and injuring any of them.

If we were playing pool tonight he would of still rested the players that played Sunday.

Resting players is valid, but putting space between us and Leicester is more important than getting one over Liverpool. I'm not suggesting the same 11 play tonight as on Sunday but I'd have been happier to win tonight and lose to Liverpool so we could cement second place.

As things stand we've had run outs for Cavani and Bruno tonight, as well as a starting berth for Greenwood who will now be likely rested against Liverpool, Cavani will likely not start against Liverpool so we will be relying on Rashford up front in that game.

Leicester have been terrible lately, there's a good chance a stronger starting 11 may have put tonights game to bed early and secured the points we needed.

Lose to Liverpool and we'll still be knackered next week and in danger of dropping more points, had we won tonight we could put our feet up until the Europa league final.

Glazers Out!

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My main gripe has always been squad management. Now the reason we're forced to play so many games in a short space is not Ole's fault, but it's still an area of weakness.

There have been games where Bruno, Rashford, AwB, Shaw, Maguire, Pogba, Cavani should have been taken off. Plenty of them too, and the rest of the squad / players given a chance to get match sharpness, but this was like an early round cup game and nobody looked like what they knew what to do really.

5 points have been dropped in the last 3 games. We were not going to win the league, but there was a chance to at least put a bit of doubt in the minds there. They even made hard work of the Europe 2nd leg too, when it really didn't have to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

First utd premier leaugue game i didn’t watch this season, just couldn’t bring myself to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Looking likely tbh.

We should have gone for the points in this game and put the kids out against Liverpool.

Decent chance of finishing third now.

If anything this shows why we need to sign players this summer, our squad is too far too thin for a title challenge next season. One injury and we're in sh1t Street. We're really miles off city and there's no way we're closing the gap with this squad.

Would a fit Martial have made the difference tonight?

Ha I hope this in tongue in cheek reverse jinxing or something after your last doom and gloom.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Weepsie wrote: »
    My main gripe has always been squad management. Now the reason we're forced to play so many games in a short space is not Ole's fault, but it's still an area of weakness.

There have been games where Bruno, Rashford, AwB, Shaw, Maguire, Pogba, Cavani should have been taken off. Plenty of them too, and the rest of the squad / players given a chance to get match sharpness, but this was like an early round cup game and nobody looked like what they knew what to do really.

5 points have been dropped in the last 3 games. We were not going to win the league, but there was a chance to at least put a bit of doubt in the minds there. They even made hard work of the Europe 2nd leg too, when it really didn't have to be

Yeah, the accumulated fatigue of players is down to his management of the squad, it backfired big time at the end of last season and he is slow to learn that lesson.

We should finish second but if any side in the top 4 has the ability to lose to an already relegated Fulham and get dragged into a punching match against a Wolves side who'd love to injure a few of our players before a European final, it's us.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ole had make changes at some stage.

No team would play full strength with 3 games in 5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,739 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah, the accumulated fatigue of players is down to his management of the squad, it backfired big time at the end of last season and he is slow to learn that lesson.

We should finish second but if any side in the top 4 has the ability to lose to an already relegated Fulham and get dragged into a punching match against a Wolves side who'd love to injure a few of our players before a European final, it's us.

Why would Wolves love to injure some of the utd players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

skinny90 wrote: »
    You’d swear this was a carobo cup round of 32 against Brentford with the squad he put out and not a game that means if loosing that’s city crowned champs and more pressure to defend 2nd place.
    I’m all for rotation but I think he could have played shaw and awb.
    Can’t see how mata got 90mins, Greenwood could easily have played the full match.

AWB and Shaw very rarely get a break, there are more important games to come. Mata will play no part v Liverpool, Greenwood will.

In general you can have a gripe with oles squad management, I know I certainly do but we played less than 48 hours ago, after travelling to and from Italy a few days before that and have another game in 48 hours, Lindelof back has to be managed and we have lost Maguire. Pogba is observing Ramadan and Martial is injured.

They are players, humans, not machines.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just in from golf, did we have a game tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

You'd swear Ole had fielded the under 17s. 6 of the starting line up are seasoned pros, Mason has had alot of game time. This Leicester team also hockeyed our more or less full team only a few weeks ago in the cup so even starting with a stronger lineup would not automatically mean a win. Its always a disappointment to lose a game but considering the schedule the players have and the fact we have a European cup final to look forward to, I dont give two shiny shytes about losing tonight and am delighted Ole rested so many key players. Be worse if we had have won tonight and someone like Bruno picked up a muscle injury.

I was delighted with the starting line up. Fair ****s to Ole. He did the right thing and more or less picked the team I’d like to see.

Thought it was a waste of time bringing Cavani and Rashford on the way the second half was going. Utd could barely get a kick and were being totally dominated in MF. If any changes were to be made surely it was there, although I’d have been content to leave the first team players on the bench. Also terrible timing bringing subs on, and what was Rashford doing marking that lad?

Amed looks close to first team football. Very impressive. Thought Axel had an excellent second half. Swept nearly everything up.

I had high hopes for VDB when he signed and it’s hard to just come in and turn it on but by god I thought he was awful. Really awful. Didn’t really try nothing of note for the 90 minutes.

Matic had a great game overall but was badly at fault for the first goal(along with others although he set it in motion). It just shows that a replacement for him in the team is crucial. McFred aren’t that player at all.

Disappointing to lose but not surprising. Ole called it right with that starting 11. I was pleasantly surprised that he made so many changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

PARlance wrote: »
    Just in from golf, did we have a game tonight?

Chose the game over a round, beautiful evening, wrong decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A Liverpool friend sent an enraged messaged why United had cost Liverpool a potential Top 4 place, this was sent back in reply.

E1H1Cj4XsAQz1EE?format=jpg&name=medium

Not a peep since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Dozyart wrote: »
    You say you're all for rotation but then explain that you dont know how it works!

I do know how it works. We havnt had much rotation in the squad especially in matches when we really should have. 10 changes is quite extreme for a team competing near the top at this stage of the season. city would likely win one of there next games but as long as there is a chance you have to put a team worthy of getting a result. Just looking at the defence line up alone there was never a chance. Individually some are good but they’ve never started together against top 4 opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Van de Beek is really poor tbh. Needs to be moved on. Diallo and Elanga looked lively. Hard game for them but they did provide good energy for team which was need with Mata and VDB struggling especially in the 2nd half

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You'd swear Ole had fielded the under 17s. 6 of the starting line up are seasoned pros, Mason has had alot of game time. This Leicester team also hockeyed our more or less full team only a few weeks ago in the cup so even starting with a stronger lineup would not automatically mean a win. Its always a disappointment to lose a game but considering the schedule the players have and the fact we have a European cup final to look forward to, I dont give two shiny shytes about losing tonight and am delighted Ole rested so many key players. Be worse if we had have won tonight and someone like Bruno picked up a muscle injury.

I've no problem with the team he played, but I've a problem with the stating the x isn't good enough and y is ****e because I don't think it's possible for many players except maybe a few positions to look particularly good when they have so little game time anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

skinny90 wrote: »
    I do know how it works. We havnt had much rotation in the squad especially in matches when we really should have. 10 changes is quite extreme for a team competing near the top at this stage of the season. city would likely win one of there next games but as long as there is a chance you have to put a team worthy of getting a result. Just looking at the defence line up alone there was never a chance
    Squad rotation over the past few weeks / months would have little to no effect on having to play 2 games in ~48 hours with another game coming up in 48 hours time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Squad rotation over the past few weeks / months would have little to no effect on having to play 2 games in ~48 hours with another game coming up in 48 hours time.

Well that’s that settled then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rest up tonight Nullzero, we'll need you fresh and in form on Thursday when Pool take the lead.

• Advertisement

Giving out about the starting 11 after the game is over and claiming Utd didn’t want to win it is a bit disingenuous.

Also do people not remember that we played on Sunday and play again on Thursday?

Come on like.

°°°°°

Why would Wolves love to injure some of the utd players?

Wolves always seem to put in full blooded performances against us. Not ideal for a final day of the season appointment if you absolutely have to win.

Hopefully we get an easy 3 points against Fulham and it's moot.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

No point risking injuries. In reality our season is done aside from the EL final.

Loved seeing Tuanzebe, Elanga, Williams, Amad getting minutes. Especially since Tuanzebe may get into contention for the EL starting XI depending on Maguire.

°°°°°

PARlance wrote: »
    Rest up tonight Nullzero, we'll need you fresh and in form on Thursday when Pool take the lead.

I'm taking plenty of fluids to make sure I'm in top condition (yes the glass is half empty).

Glazers Out!

There's half empty and then there's half empty and laced with poison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It was always a matter of when rather than if.

Surprised we made them last this long.

We are so generous

Hoping for a point at least against Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

°°°°°

I'll be positive about United when we're actually winning titles again.

A post went up here saying how delighted the poster was with us putting that side out tonight and that losing didn't bother them and was warmly received.

We're a shadow of what we used to be and it seems as fans a lot of us are happily wallowing in it.

We've played some good stuff this year, but the most important thing that happened this season in terms of the long term future of the club was the protests a week or so ago.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Given Ole never seems massively pushed to force the board into action, I'm glad to hear him vocalize this. Would make me wonder if he's been told there'll be a couple.

°°°°°

Hopefully he's calling a taxi for Martial right now.

Glazers Out!

I'll be positive about United when we're actually winning titles again.

A post went up here saying how delighted the poster was with us putting that side out tonight and that losing didn't bother them and was warmly received.

We're a shadow of what we used to be and it seems as fans a lot of us are happily wallowing in it.

We've played some good stuff this year, but the most important thing that happened this season in terms of the long term future of the club was the protests a week or so ago.

Presume it’s my post you are talking about. Yes let’s pick parts of it without any context and then use it to hyperbolize in your usual doom and gloom way.

The absolute irony of accusing people of wallowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

United made 10 changes tonight, it's disrespectful. City made 9 at the weekend against Chelsea, it's a privilege according to Trevor Sinclair :rolleyes:
    The winding up of the British media is delightful.

https://twitter.com/talkSPORT/status/1392222461878579203

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Didn't Wolves get fined a few years ago for making 10 changes?

°°°°°

adox wrote: »
    Presume it’s my post you are talking about. Yes let’s pick parts of it without any context and then use it to hyperbolize in your usual doom and gloom way.

The absolute irony of accusing people of wallowing.

I have a pessimistic outlook on Manchester United as it exists today and with good reason.

I'm happy to discuss the topic if you wish, or you could continue with the ad hominems.

You're happy enough to ignore the context of my posts and take pot shots about negativity.

Go on, give me your reasons to be Cheerful as a United fan over the last 8 years then.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    United made 10 changes tonight, it's disrespectful. City made 9 at the weekend against Chelsea, it's a privilege according to Trevor Sinclair :rolleyes:

The best thing to do with the likes of TalkSport I’ve found is simply unfollow and ignore. They’re their for clicks and I wouldn’t waste my time listening to that nonsense.

Am I happy United lost tonight? No

Did Ole choose the right team selection? Probably

Would I have liked to see key players play tonight and risk injury? Absolutely not.

I’ve given out about Ole not rotating and putting players at risk and his decisions tonight were spot on. Huge amount of games in next to no time, they’re still humans at the end of the day. The PL season was over today, no chance of a title. Most important thing is securing 2nd at this stage (nearly done) and making sure players are injury free for the Europa League final and build on that next season.

No issues what happened today for all the giving out of non United fans and United fans.

I have a pessimistic outlook on Manchester United as it exists today and with good reason.

I'm happy to discuss the topic if you wish, or you could continue with the ad hominems.

You're happy enough to ignore the context of my posts and take pot shots about negativity.

Go on, give me your reasons to be Cheerful as a United fan over the last 8 years then.

I have a pessimistic view too. Check my post history over the last few years if you are in doubt.

They may seem like pot shots but they are just stating the obvious imo. Your in match posts are more often than not throwing the toys out of the pram because things aren’t going well.

I am not ignoring the context of your posts. I read them, rightly or wrongly as knee jerk doom and gloom to the point of parody and indeed soapboxing with their regularity.

Saying that a game is over when we go one nil down, despite our record on such score lines this season is the epitome of toy throwing and hyperbole.

I guess we will never agree it seems.

°°°°°

adox wrote: »
    I have a pessimistic view too. Check my post history over the last few years if you are in doubt.

They may seem like pot shots but they are just stating the obvious imo. Your in match posts are more often than not throwing the toys out of the pram because things aren’t going well.

I am not ignoring the context of your posts. I read them, rightly or wrongly as knee jerk doom and gloom to the point of parody and indeed soapboxing with their regularity.

Saying that a game is over when we go one nil down, despite our record on such score lines this season is the epitome of toy throwing and hyperbole.

I guess we will never agree it seems.

You literally said about tonight's game that you were disappointed to lose but not surprised.

Your negativity is just more palatable than mine it would seem.

To me, finishing second having lost 5 times at home and being "comeback Kings" isn't the high water mark for this club.

Glazers Out!

You literally said about tonight's game that you were disappointed to lose but not surprised.

Your negativity is just more palatable than mine it would seem.

To me, finishing second having lost 5 times at home and being "comeback Kings" isn't the high water mark for this club.

I did say that. I wasn’t surprised. Were you? Also you misrepresented me in your previous post saying that losing didn’t bother me, despite me saying I was disappointed.

The “comeback kings” point was in relation to your frankly knee jerk post saying the game was over despite past results showing otherwise.

Yes we have lost five times at home. Who has said otherwise? Who thinks it’s where the club wants to or should be? On the flip side aren’t we unbeaten away from home this season?

You can have a negative outlook about the club and still have some nuanced points to make, even positive ones when warranted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You know who we should listen to? The guy with convictions for drunk driving, injuring a woman while driving and racially abusing a police officer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Jez poor Donny is a tragedy at this stage
    Needs a new start somewhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Think twas a Liverpool Chelsea game in a run in a few years back and Liverpool didn't try a leg. Gerrard even playing one of theirs in for a goal with a chronic back pass?

Tuff luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Think twas a Liverpool Chelsea game in a run in a few years back and Liverpool didn't try a leg. Gerrard even playing one of theirs in for a goal with a chronic back pass?

Tuff luck

Some of the chat on their thread is hilarious "Ole should present the trophy to Pep himself" "Conditioned for failure".

Imagine winning your first PL title ever then your title defense is to produce the mother of all collapses, so much so that your manager concedes the title defense is over as early as February and you somehow manage to blame it on another team above you as you struggle to get top four.

I hope we trolley them Thursday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

The whining from Liverpool fans tonight is actually comedy gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,121 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Annabella1 wrote: »

Played well in a champions league match once apparently.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The thing that disappointed me the most last night is the inability for some key players to step up into Ole's system of choice. I feel like this 4-2-3-1/3-1-6 approach is nearly set in stone at this stage but it requires a lot from those in the double pivot and the full backs in order to have any sort of grip on the game. Last night Donny was brutal in that role of taking the ball off a back 3 and Telles and Williams didn't help either.

On the flip side whenever Fred, McT, Shaw and AWB perform well I find that we look like a real force to be reckoned with.

Strengthening that double pivot over the summer is the key for this team progressing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Talksport: Pundit must express an opinion that will generate fan debate.

That's been on repeat for a few years now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Annabella1 wrote: »

I was reading Ajax fans on Reddit talking about him last night.

They seem frustrated that we are trying to play him either as a holding mid or as a #10. They were saying he’s more of advanced than a #10 but not quite a striker, who likes to make runs into the box to get on the end of crosses the likes from other players. Like Muller at Bayern. Maybe Firminho at Liverpool? Not 100% sure on that one, but speaking on second hand experience.

They’re frustrated at the fact we’ve bought a player for a role we basically don’t play. He’s not a creative player like Bruno, and he’s not a midfield battler like Fred.

That’s not an utter defence of him mind. He’s been disappointing so far. But it feels like we bought a player thinking he’d be a certain type of player and he’s not, so he’s struggling big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I was reading Ajax fans on Reddit talking about him last night.

They seem frustrated that we are trying to play him either as a holding mid or as a #10. They were saying he’s more of advanced than a #10 but not quite a striker, who likes to make runs into the box to get on the end of crosses the likes from other players. Like Muller at Bayern. Maybe Firminho at Liverpool? Not 100% sure on that one, but speaking on second hand experience.

They’re frustrated at the fact we’ve bought a player for a role we basically don’t play. He’s not a creative player like Bruno, and he’s not a midfield battler like Fred.

That’s not an utter defence of him mind. He’s been disappointing so far. But it feels like we bought a player thinking he’d be a certain type of player and he’s not, so he’s struggling big time.

There is no possible way the ole wanted Donny.... If not then who did? Was it Woodward?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement