Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

DM_7 wrote: »
    The old apples and oranges comparison spring to mind. The clubs have transfer policies that differ for good reason.

Pressure at a club like United is much greater, more scrutiny, more high profile games, players like Ndidi, as he was when he moved there, would never get the game time at United to continue to develop and improve.

The recent transfer success rate has been helped massively by the stability of Rodgers, before him Leicester wasted plenty of money. The season Ndidi joined they also bought Slimani, Mendy and Musa. The next summer they bought Adrien Silva, Iborra.

They pay much less for players overall, they might buy three for what United spend on one, two might not work out and the one who does work out, like Maguire, pay for the poor investments.

They are operating in a space United can't, scouting players of potential is only worthwhile if the players are going to get the games they need to go from a 15 to 20million player to a 60million plus. Leicester would be selling players that 'work out'' United don't want to be selling players.

Excellent summary to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

The old apples and oranges comparison spring to mind. The clubs have transfer policies that differ for good reason.

Pressure at a club like United is much greater, more scrutiny, more high profile games, players like Ndidi, as he was when he moved there, would never get the game time at United to continue to develop and improve.

The recent transfer success rate has been helped massively by the stability of Rodgers, before him Leicester wasted plenty of money. The season Ndidi joined they also bought Slimani, Mendy and Musa. The next summer they bought Adrien Silva, Iborra.

They pay much less for players overall, they might buy three for what United spend on one, two might not work out and the one who does work out, like Maguire, pay for the poor investments.

They are operating in a space United can't, scouting players of potential is only worthwhile if the players are going to get the games they need to go from a 15 to 20million player to a 60million plus. Leicester would be selling players that 'work out'' United don't want to be selling players.

That’s reasonable when comparing United with a club like Leicester.

But what about Chelsea or Even City, teams United are competing with for players. You can argue that for Barca , Madrid , Juventus, Bayern etc, there are different dynamics at play but United have probably gotten the worst return for money spent in the sport. I think this is a more relevant comparison and exposes how bad United have been at player acquisitions and squad management. Manager are not at fault for this. (I know this wasn’t the point you were making, just felt like a rant).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its not even just young players we dont seem to look very far at all for signings.

Like Coufal cost West Ham 5m, even stick a United tax maybe that'd be 8m. He'd have been a great no risk addition to address the lack of RB's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭Santan

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I’d rather sign their scouting department, who keep getting these great players for absolute bargains.

Must have a lot to do with coaching also, can't be just a coincidence that these teams have players that improve so much over time, what signings can we actually say have improved since joining in the last 7 years, if anything they regress and then get sold

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Drumpot wrote: »
    That’s reasonable when comparing United with a club like Leicester.

But what about Chelsea or Even City, teams United are competing with for players. You can argue that for Barca , Madrid , Juventus, Bayern etc, there are different dynamics at play but United have probably gotten the worst return for money spent in the sport. I think this is a more relevant comparison and exposes how bad United have been at player acquisitions and squad management. Manager are not at fault for this. (I know this wasn’t the point you were making, just felt like a rant).

I agree United have a poor record overall. Barca have a bad record also just they have Messi.

Manager changes do play a part, going for managers who don't want the players the club has leads to new players wanted and ones only recently signed going. Look at all the players signed under LVG that Jose did not want at all or Ole moving on so much of Jose squad. It is a poor way to run a club, change if manager should not lead to so many player changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

You can't have it both ways.

I guarantee if the club went the Leicester route, fans would be ripping the owners claiming they're being cheap and not backing the manager.

We bought Depay, Dalot, James, Pellistri as 4 examples.

Pellistri not had a chance yet but none of the others have risen to the level needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Bow down to you sir, fair play, great rebuttle.
    Didnt think of it that way to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Dortmund make Champions League, their players just got more expensive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Dortmund make Champions League, their players just got more expensive :)

I think we should move on from Sancho.

There's always another talent ready to be unearthed. 3 years ago no one thought of Haaland or Sancho as must buys.

The Serbian in Fiorentina is tipped for big things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Pussyhands wrote: »

There's always another talent ready to be unearthed. 3 years ago no one thought of Haaland or Sancho as must buys.

Few times I've seen vlahovic I've been impressed, reminds of Van Nistelrooy and would be a fraction of the price of haaland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I’ve just lead Marseille to Champions League glory in my PES career after signing Youssef En-Nesyri from Sevilla for £20m. Reddit tells me he’s the affordable Haaland with 18 goals in La Liga this season so I’m all on board the En-Nesyri hype train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I seen this picture of the 3 jerseys last week and i keep going back to it to wonder if it’s accurate. The Teamviewer sponsor looks very high on the jersey to me. Seems a little too wide aswell. I actually think it looks grand, but hoping the final kits have a slightly lower and smaller Teamviewer sponsor on them.

https://twitter.com/szn_ahmed/status/1388451554630553600?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Teemu Pukki 31 year old finnish striker just powered Norwich back into the Premier League I'd be interested to see what he's going for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Looking forward to seeing how Lindelof and Bailly see out the season, looked a strong partnership earlier on this year. I'm optimistic they'll do fine, everyone played poorly against Liverpool and when that happens id be looking at the manage for answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

pjohnson wrote: »
    Its not even just young players we dont seem to look very far at all for signings.

Like Coufal cost West Ham 5m, even stick a United tax maybe that'd be 8m. He'd have been a great no risk addition to address the lack of RB's.

Coufals deal was arranged by Tomas Souchek it’s the third or fourth time they played together I read somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Ahead of Cavani finally playing in front of some home fans.

https://twitter.com/isaac_muhenda/status/1394178258451812354?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

GSPfan wrote: »
    I seen this picture of the 3 jerseys last week and i keep going back to it to wonder if it’s accurate. The Teamviewer sponsor looks very high on the jersey to me. Seems a little too wide aswell. I actually think it looks grand, but hoping the final kits have a slightly lower and smaller Teamviewer sponsor on them.

https://twitter.com/szn_ahmed/status/1388451554630553600?s=21

Looks high enough in these pictures too

https://www.instagram.com/p/COh9slRDaUb/

https://www.instagram.com/p/COfTYQ3DBtZ/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Pussyhands wrote: »

i think we should try to sign him, and if it starts to drag then move on.

hopefully the club has learned lessons from last summer, but this club is not very good t learning lessons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

From what I’ve read, United, Dortmund and Sancho want the deal done before the Euros if it’s happening, so I can’t see it dragging. If it goes beyond that, I’d say Dortmund will just shut up shop again.

From what I’ve read, United, Dortmund and Sancho want the deal done before the Euros if it’s happening, so I can’t see it dragging. If it goes beyond that, I’d say Dortmund will just shut up shop again.

the next story will then be 'before Dortmund are back in training'. then 'before sancho is back at dortmund training'.

Would love to see it sorted before the Euro's. Would love to see United put importance on a good start to the season and have the major work done before pre-season.

But... well..... this club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Well Dortmund can shut up shop. The only issue is will we actually move to the next one or just keep banging on the locked door begging them to let us back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

I reckon we make a take it or leave it offer. Dortmund have more leverage now that they are in the CL next season.

billyhead wrote: »
    I reckon we make a take it or leave it offer. Dortmund have more leverage now that they are in the CL next season.

it seems it is the same as last season. Dortmund have set a price, meet it or bugger off. The price is (seemingly) less than last summer. but United are pay it or don't. Hopefully it isn't another summer waiting for them to 'crack'

it seems it is the same as last season. Dortmund have set a price, meet it or bugger off. The price is (seemingly) less than last summer. but United are pay it or don't. Hopefully it isn't another summer waiting for them to 'crack'

You would be sick of the transfer merry go round media nonsense. Hopefully we get our business done early in the window but with Ed still around I doubt it.

You would be sick of the transfer merry go round media nonsense. Hopefully we get our business done early in the window but with Ed still around I doubt it.

You'd hope with Murtough taking charge of this stuff that he has been working over the past month or so getting everything sorted and understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Kane has asked to leave Spurs this summer, being reported on SSN.

PARlance wrote: »

Going to City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Going to City.

I'd be surprised though. He's really not a pep centre forward is he

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'd be surprised though. He's really not a pep centre forward is he

Any CF isn't a Pep CF this year... They might buy him just to buy him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

City & Chelsea will be all over him. Think it's pretty clear a striker isn't in our transfer plans since we basically begged for Cavani to stay another year. And I think it's the right decision tbh. Kane is going to cost atleast upwards of 120m in this current market. Do we really want to blow our transfer budget when we've still got the issues of McFred and our centrebacks. It's the defensive midfielders and centrebacks that need investment first and foremost.

With that being said though, if Kane goes to City and Haaland goes to Chelsea, I can't see how we can keep up next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Well well well. His brother is his agent and isn’t the most savy to say the least. That contract they signed was so stupid. Levy is under exactly zero pressure to sell him. 3 years left won’t happen.

Sky saying us, City and Chelsea are all after him.

Zero chance he goes to Chelsea, given where he's coming from though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Kane is world class at dropping off and linking play but can also lead the line if needed.

An exceptional provider, as well as an exceptional goal scorer. He'd take City to a new level IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Any CF isn't a Pep CF this year... They might buy him just to buy him though.

Could see him being attractive to the owners alright in their continued sports washing. England captain would be a real boon for them.

They set that whole club up for pep though even before he arrived, the structures in place, recruitment etc. Kane would be a big departure from that, not to mention they don't spend massive amounts on transfers (irritatingly) for one player.

Like I said, if be surprised. Not end of the world surprised, but definitely surprised.

He said his preference is to stay in the premier league, can't see him being allowed go to Chelsea so if it isn't ourselves or city I could actually see him heading to PSG. Not a bad commute from London if he wants to stay close to home.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Going to City.

The only logical conclusion sadly.

Glazers Out!

Kane would be an out of this world signing for United. The thought of him linking with ras and Greenwood..... Wow.

But I can't see us going for him. Which says a lot about how far United have fallen. Can you imagine Fergie seeing Kane on the market and not going for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

His injury record would worry me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Hope he fecks off to Spain :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Headshot wrote: »
    His injury record would worry me tbh

Its a bit overstated if you look at his games played. He will do 35 league games this year for example

• Advertisement

Kane would be an out of this world signing for United. The thought of him linking with ras and Greenwood..... Wow.

But I can't see us going for him. Which says a lot about how far United have fallen. Can you imagine Fergie seeing Kane on the market and not going for him?

How do you define not going for him?

The reports tonight are we have shown interest, alongside Chelsea and City.

I don't think we'd do that if we weren't "going for him", but the reality is he may quickly go "If I'm leaving Spurs, it's only for City", and then we don't waste time.

I'd rather that level of not going for him over wasting all summer chasing someone who has no interest in us...

How do you define not going for him?

The reports tonight are we have shown interest, alongside Chelsea and City.

I don't think we'd do that if we weren't "going for him", but the reality is he may quickly go "If I'm leaving Spurs, it's only for City", and then we don't waste time.

I'd rather that level of not going for him over wasting all summer chasing someone who has no interest in us...

I guess we could show interest, offer 100m, Spurs say 180 and thats the ball game. Interested but not at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

I guess we could show interest, offer 100m, Spurs say 180 and thats the ball game. Interested but not at that price

And rightly so. He's not worth 180m, not in the current market given his age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

A £100,000,000 for an ankle made of glass and Rice and and Sancho would be better business. Though if the Glazers actually cared about winning they would get all three.

And rightly so. He's not worth 180m, not in the current market given his age.

I agree, I wouldnt buy any player for that amount ever again. City have shown it isnt really needed anyway, you can get value in the 50-80m range pretty handily.

I agree, I wouldnt buy any player for that amount ever again. City have shown it isnt really needed anyway, you can get value in the 50-80m range pretty handily.

Which is why I can’t see city buying him.

Kane is in a weird spot.

City is his best move, but it’s unlikely they pay what’s needed.
    We’d pay what’s needed, but can’t promise trophies.
    Chelsea would likely pay and would be a good bet for trophies, but I don’t believe they’ll sell him to Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I just can't see him in a UTD jersey and not entirely sure he would fit in anyway.

He wants trophies and he wants to stay in England (according to Sky) so that means City.

Although, nobody has mentioned Liverpool yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

py2006 wrote: »
    He wants trophies and he wants to stay in England (according to Sky) so that means City.

Although, nobody has mentioned Liverpool yet...

Liverpool aren't a ludicrous money club tbf.

Kane is very like Aguero in terms of choosing between United and City. We'd like to sign him but the bigger bucks will come from City in the end.

Glazers Out!

Which is why I can’t see city buying him.

Kane is in a weird spot.

City is his best move, but it’s unlikely they pay what’s needed.
    We’d pay what’s needed, but can’t promise trophies.
    Chelsea would likely pay and would be a good bet for trophies, but I don’t believe they’ll sell him to Chelsea.

I dont think that United would pay what is needed anyway. Levy is going to want over 120m. I just cannot see the Glazers doing that at all

Edit: PSG the most likely landing spot when it comes to ticking the financials aspect, but again, they're about to lose a one horse race and seem like soft ***** who rattle easily when it comes to the crunch. So I dont know how much he would want to be there either. He really has ****ed himself with that contract he signed tbh

To me, there are only two strikers worth buying right now if you are a top club, Kane and Haaland.

UTD gave Cavani a 1yr contract which suggests (but not necessarily) that they won't be signing a striker this season. Now this may suggest they are not interested in Kane (as it was obvious he was going to leave) and may be interested or in agreement with Haaland for next year?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement