Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

py2006 wrote: »
    To me, there are only two strikers worth buying right now if you are a top club, Kane and Haaland.

UTD gave Cavani a 1yr contract which suggests (but not necessarily) that they won't be signing a striker this season. Now this may suggest they are not interested in Kane (as it was obvious he was going to leave) and may be interested or in agreement with Haaland for next year?

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if Kane and Haaland both ended up at City. Kane this summer and Haaland next summer.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Headshot wrote: »
    His injury record would worry me tbh

Very true.
    Those ankle injuries are fairly persistent. And unlikely to go away as he gets older.

With Levy involved there will be no bargaining on the price either (unless we could convince them to take Martial as part payment) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

If you're Harry Kane, City is the only option.

Guaranteed trophies and with Pep, he could become the all time top scorer in 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Pussyhands wrote: »
    If you're Harry Kane, City is the only option.

Guaranteed trophies and with Pep, he could become the all time top scorer in 3 seasons.

But if you're Pep and City, Haaland is your only option. Younger, malleable to Peps gameplan and likely to cost just as much. Possibly the next freak player globally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Zeek12 wrote: »
    With Levy involved there will be no bargaining on the price either (unless we could convince them to take Martial as part payment) :pac:

That would be pretty sweet tbf. Martial probably has a value of around £50m. Give them £80 + Martial. TM is on something ridiculous like £250k per week whereas Kane is on £200. Pay Kane Martials salary and throw on some achievable performance related bonuses. Bosh.

In reality though, not a hope. Spurs have a new stadium to pay for and he is their prize asset. He can want to leave all he wants but Levy simply wont sell unless they receive an obscene bid that he simply isnt worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Kane would be the ideal replacement when Cavani leaves in a year. Just hope he stays at Spurs until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Martial 50m ? 30 max

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Does Kane match the pace of the current Utd side? I would have thought Haaland was more in that bracket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Kane will stay in England. I’m absolutely convinced of that. The fact he has publicly said he wants to leave before the season is over is something that players don’t normally do. That is because he has to force it and he has to give the club the ability to say they didn’t want to sell but he didn’t want to stay. I would say £90 million is his price with all things considered.

Man Utd - He would be massive for United. A genuine world class striker who would seriously elevate us into another category. I don’t think they will go for him though. I don’t think they have the finances to do it and get other positions sorted. But if the Glazers ever wanted to do something crazy then a Summer signing of Sancho and Kane would be unheard of. It’s probably the type of thing that would get Pogba to sign a new deal too. I just don’t see it but would love to see it.

City - This makes the most sense for Kane, but not for City. Haaland next Summer should be the player they break their transfer record for. If they believe they have a chance of getting Haaland when his release clause activates then waiting a season to spend less for a genuine world class player who is 8 years younger is the type of move they would make.

Chelsea - No I don’t think Kane would go there. But Chelsea are the club who have everything else apart from the striker they need. He would be perfect for them. I just don’t see him going to Chelsea. I think it’s insult on top of insult for the Spurs fans and I don’t think he’d do it.

Result - I have no idea. He’ll probably stay at Spurs. Tough luck for signing that contract.

Martial 50m ? 30 max

Someone get this guy in charge of spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Dave0301

If anyone is looking for EL final tickets there are a few knocking about through official channels if you registered for the initial ballot.

Logged in and was able to put one in the cart but won't be able to go with work and quarantine issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

oh lord jaysus above martial is near full fitness...............................................

hi spurs how about 80 mill plus martial for kane or 100 mill plus martial.

if united are serious about challenging city and winning the league the need to go all out for kane,cause if he goes to city then the will walk the league.

mufc wheres your exspectations??????????????????????????????????????????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But if you're Pep and City, Haaland is your only option. Younger, malleable to Peps gameplan and likely to cost just as much. Possibly the next freak player globally

Haaland is the better financial buy, since he's so young. But Kane is a million times more suited to Pep's football. Haaland is exactly the type of striker Pep hates - and if you're gonna completely change the game of your 100+ million striker, whats the point?

Kane is the perfect striker for Pep's gameplan. Drops deep, brilliant at linking play, opens up space, and also gets back into the box with clinical finishing.

Haaland is a better City buy (life beyond Pep and all that), but Kane is a much better Pep buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭bassy

haaland ok in german league,premier lge different story................................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

bassy wrote: »
    haaland ok in german league,premier lge different story................................

What about the champions league?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I think it would make more sense to pursue Sancho or even Haaland rather than Kane. He will be 28 and will probably cost the same if not more than two much younger players. Haaland will be a better striker than Kane too. Hes a far better athlete. Sancho is probably the best right winger worldwide at 20. In United's most problematic position.

Bissouma at Brighton is a player I thin that would improve midfield options and would cost less than Rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Well if we are serious about things then we have to be in for the likes of Kane, an out and out striker to add to Cavani would be great addition, I think when a player like Kane with his goal scoring record comes available then all plans should change

But he's at a stage where he needs to winning things and City is the only option that will guarantee him that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Haaland is the better financial buy, since he's so young. But Kane is a million times more suited to Pep's football. Haaland is exactly the type of striker Pep hates - and if you're gonna completely change the game of your 100+ million striker, whats the point?

Kane is the perfect striker for Pep's gameplan. Drops deep, brilliant at linking play, opens up space, and also gets back into the box with clinical finishing.

Haaland is a better City buy (life beyond Pep and all that), but Kane is a much better Pep buy.

I don't get why people are saying he's not a Pep striker, he's just about the only striker Pep would love. He did call Spurs the Harry Kane team after all :pac:

And Haaland, as you say, is just the kind of striker Pep doesn't appreciate a poacher and also a power player. Pep was almost willing to get rid of Aguero when he first came and then begrudgingly began to respect him and his talents.

But how many power players has he ever had or appreciated? He sold Yaya twice! Technique, balance, movement, passing, positioning, game intelligence; these are all things Pep is looking for and brute force goal-scoring is not one of them.

Kane has arguably all of them and he puts the ball in the back of the net as a bonus. As Parlance was saying he could take them to another level of destructiveness and efficiency.

Personally I love Haaland and he'd be a great signing for anyone, just I'd be surprised if Pep sees it that way.

And what's this about there only being two strikers worth buying or available for the 'super' clubs. What about Mbappe? Last I heard he hasn't signed a new contract and it expires June '22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

The club will leak to the press that we are in for Kane but deep down won't pay the fee demanded by Levy. It's all about optics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If we can’t get Kane and fair enough if we wants to get on the City bandwagon, we really should be looking at Dusan Vlahovic.

I just hope we have a few plan Bs this summer and not throw all eggs into one basket like usual.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Kane will stay in England. I’m absolutely convinced of that. The fact he has publicly said he wants to leave before the season is over is something that players don’t normally do. That is because he has to force it and he has to give the club the ability to say they didn’t want to sell but he didn’t want to stay. I would say £90 million is his price with all things considered.

Man Utd - He would be massive for United. A genuine world class striker who would seriously elevate us into another category. I don’t think they will go for him though. I don’t think they have the finances to do it and get other positions sorted. But if the Glazers ever wanted to do something crazy then a Summer signing of Sancho and Kane would be unheard of. It’s probably the type of thing that would get Pogba to sign a new deal too. I just don’t see it but would love to see it.

City - This makes the most sense for Kane, but not for City. Haaland next Summer should be the player they break their transfer record for. If they believe they have a chance of getting Haaland when his release clause activates then waiting a season to spend less for a genuine world class player who is 8 years younger is the type of move they would make.

Chelsea - No I don’t think Kane would go there. But Chelsea are the club who have everything else apart from the striker they need. He would be perfect for them. I just don’t see him going to Chelsea. I think it’s insult on top of insult for the Spurs fans and I don’t think he’d do it.

Result - I have no idea. He’ll probably stay at Spurs. Tough luck for signing that contract.

I wouldn't give a toss what Pogba thinks anyway so I doubt him signing a new deal would influence a move for Kane. Pogbas overated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Everything adds up for Kane to Utd .
    Bad PR from super league and ownership model.... spend 100mil to keep a certain section of fans on twitter quiet
    Player with recent bad injury history edging toward their 30s looking for big money/promise of trophies ?

Seems a banker for Glazers.
    You won't get Kane for £100m with 3 years left on his contract. You will be looking at him being the second or third most expensive transfer ever after Neymar and Mbappe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

You won't get Kane for £100m with 3 years left on his contract. You will be looking at him being the second or third most expensive transfer ever after Neymar and Mbappe.

I wonder how much will Kane agitate for a move. Modric , Berba, Bale....all had to dig deep for a move. Levy plays hard ball like no other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

I'd reckon offer Dortmond Lingard and Martial plus a few quid and sign Haaland. The only major worry about Haaland is the agent. I'd reckon we will get three years max from Haaland before Rinola is looking for another move. Might never see him in his prime.

Kane would be a massive signing. Finished article and would take the team to the next level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

I don't think I appreciated how great he was at the time, even though I love him back then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

piplip87 wrote: »
    I'd reckon offer Dortmond Lingard and Martial plus a few quid and sign Haaland. The only major worry about Haaland is the agent. I'd reckon we will get three years max from Haaland before Rinola is looking for another move. Might never see him in his prime.

Kane would be a massive signing. Finished article and would take the team to the next level.
    A couple of problems with your idea.

Firstly, Dortmund have said they're not selling him this summer. I would have thought that last summer shows they mean what the say. Sancho is probably off, but they won't sell both.

Secondly they have Marco Reus, they have no need for Jesse Lingard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Everything adds up for Kane to Utd .
    Bad PR from super league and ownership model.... spend 100mil to keep a certain section of fans on twitter quiet
    Player with recent bad injury history edging toward their 30s looking for big money/promise of trophies ?

Seems a banker for Glazers.

Edging towards his 30s... he's 27! (until he's 28 etc).

Leaving aside injuries, you'd expect to get at least 4 years of peak Kane if we bought him this summer. His game isn't entirely based on pace either so he could go on well into his 30s.

If the Glazers can rustle up the cash, and also strengthen some of the other areas without having to pay top-dollar for the likes of Rice, we should go for it. If he goes to City or Chelsea, we can forget about the league for another few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Kane and Haaland is a funny one imo.

Realistically you could see Haaland signed, but be off again in 3 years time. So although he is younger, his time at United could also be limited.
    Kane could be at United for longer than Haaland, but he will have limited/no re-sale value at all.

I would take either at United in a heart beat, but i find it funny to think that although Haaland is much younger, he is possibly more short term signing than Kane is. Unless United become a dominant force and Haaland isn't looking to move to Madrird or Barca for eg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

If Kane is available you have to try and sign him. Whether he is a necessity immediately it doesn't matter. There are very few Harry Kane's out there. Definitely have to dip the hand in and test the waters price wise.

• Advertisement

If we sign Kane (or Haaland) i think a first choice of Rashford, Striker, Greenwood could be excellent.

I would assume Martial would be out the door.

Leaving Amad, Cavani and James as the backups?

If we sign Sancho, and Martial is kept.

We have Rashford, Cavani, Sancho
    Leaving Amad, Martial, Greenwood, James.

hmmmmm, my head is saying the sancho group is stronger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A couple of problems with your idea.

Firstly, Dortmund have said they're not selling him this summer. I would have thought that last summer shows they mean what the say. Sancho is probably off, but they won't sell both.

Secondly they have Marco Reus, they have no need for Jesse Lingard.
    Not sure what a center mid like Reus would have to do with Lingard tbh :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I don't think we're even in the running for Haaland. He wanted to come to United, he'd have jumped at the chance when offered it instead of going to Dortmund. His father & agent have already had meeting with Real Madrid and Barcelona, so I think those would be his preferred choices. Dortmund have also said they don't want to sell. I don't think Haaland is even in the conversation for United this Summer.

If you take the long term view, RW has been a massive hole in our squad for a while now. Sancho is someone who could fix that for the next 10+ years. We have Greenwood who, with the right attitude, will be a top class striker. Sancho seems like he has an agreement to leave Dortmund so is definitely gettable. The fear I have is that we dick around with Levy all Summer and end up missing out on Kane and then Sancho goes elsewhere.

There is little chance we have the money for both unless we can use Martial and/or Lingard in any sort of deal(s), even then it would be an crazy amount of money. I think I read recently that United had less than £100m cash reserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If we sign Kane (or Haaland) i think a first choice of Rashford, Striker, Greenwood could be excellent.

I would assume Martial would be out the door.

Leaving Amad, Cavani and James as the backups?

If we sign Sancho, and Martial is kept.

We have Rashford, Cavani, Sancho
    Leaving Amad, Martial, Greenwood, James.

hmmmmm, my head is saying the sancho group is stronger?

Kane transforms the team way more than Sancho does imo, I don't think it's even close.

I wouldn't swap Sancho for Greenwood personally if it came down to it. Sancho might/would probably make us stronger on the right initially but at what cost to Greenwoods development... I can only see Greenwood getting better and better so I would be more than happy to see that happen. I don't see any rush to give him the CF slot and could even see him playing a bit at 10 before that happens.

I think Martial would be out in either circumstance, unless he's seen as rotation for Rashford on the left. If all were happy with that, then I would stick with him.

Rashford, Kane, Greenwood
    Martial, Cavani, Amad

If Amad can offer something more in terms of playing time next year then that's a very strong 6. James isn't and won't be at the level required if we're serious about challenging.

Having Kane, Cavani and Greenwood would also give us more options to play with 2 (proper) strikers up top if that's going to be an option in CL etc.

Lads. Don't get your hopes up. Were not getting Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Realistically you could see Haaland signed, but be off again in 3 years time. So although he is younger, his time at United could also be limited.
    Kane could be at United for longer than Haaland, but he will have limited/no re-sale value at all.

I would take either at United in a heart beat, but i find it funny to think that although Haaland is much younger, he is possibly more short term signing than Kane is. Unless United become a dominant force and Haaland isn't looking to move to Madrird or Barca for eg.

With Haaland, if he was to sign and then look for a move in 3 years time, on his current trajectory he will be worth £100m +, possibly a lot more depending on how the world and footballing economy recovers post covid. So it would be an immediate investment in the current squad and an investment to move on when he wants to and make our money back.

With Kane, there is no resale value and he would need to be replaced in 5 or 6 years but we'd get nothing back on him.

In a straight pick between the two the Halland makes most sense imo.

It's all however moot as I don't believe we are in with a realistic chance of signing either unless there are no other suitors. Which there will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Keane also got in the premier league hall of Fame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

v3ttel wrote: »
    I don't think we're even in the running for Haaland. He wanted to come to United, he'd have jumped at the chance when offered it instead of going to Dortmund. His father & agent have already had meeting with Real Madrid and Barcelona, so I think those would be his preferred choices. Dortmund have also said they don't want to sell. I don't think Haaland is even in the conversation for United this Summer.

If you take the long term view, RW has been a massive hole in our squad for a while now. Sancho is someone who could fix that for the next 10+ years. We have Greenwood who, with the right attitude, will be a top class striker. Sancho seems like he has an agreement to leave Dortmund so is definitely gettable. The fear I have is that we dick around with Levy all Summer and end up missing out on Kane and then Sancho goes elsewhere.

There is little chance we have the money for both unless we can use Martial and/or Lingard in any sort of deal(s), even then it would be an crazy amount of money. I think I read recently that United had less than £100m cash reserves.

He had only played in Norway and Austria at the point, been well documented that his moves planned with his development in mind.

I cant see him joining City. is not in their model to spend 100m on one player. Real and Barca don't have the funds.

He may stay at Dortmund but a move to united is realistic but I think Sancho is more likely.

Cavani staying for a year I think is likely to rule out a striker being brought in.

Rashford, Cavani , Greenwood, Martial and Sancho and United would have great options with 4 out of the 5 still young.

CM and CB better more important area's to add more quality

With Haaland, if he was to sign and then look for a move in 3 years time, on his current trajectory he will be worth £100m +, possibly a lot more depending on how the world and footballing economy recovers post covid. So it would be an immediate investment in the current squad and an investment to move on when he wants to and make our money back.

With Kane, there is no resale value and he would need to be replaced in 5 or 6 years but we'd get nothing back on him.

In a straight pick between the two the Halland makes most sense imo.

It's all however moot as I don't believe we are in with a realistic chance of signing either unless there are no other suitors. Which there will be.

Agree with all of your points.

Just found it funny to think that Kane would probably be a united player for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Hococop wrote: »

His reaction (or lack of) would be funny to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Bar Shaw nobody really came close to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

There's also the possibility that Haaland massively underwhelms to the point that other clubs don't want him at the price we'd be looking to recoup in 2-3 years ala Pogba, and we get to "keep" him for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Hococop wrote: »

Ryan Giggs not even among the 23 shortlisted?

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

py2006 wrote: »
    His reaction (or lack of) would be funny to see

Well the fact they have quotes from Cantona and none from Roy even though he works for Sky kinda says it all! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Daily Mail sayin Spurs have identified Martial as a makeweight in any possible deal for Kane.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs not even among the 23 shortlisted?

Absolutely zero chance they go near him, given what’s happening with his personal life right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Lithium93_ wrote: »

At the club about 16 months, and has two player of the year awards :D

Other than Shaw nobody was coming close this season though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Daily Mail sayin Spurs have identified Martial as a makeweight in any possible deal for Kane.

Drive him down now, if there was ever a Spursy player it is Anthony Martial.

Tony and 50/60m for Kane would be a great bit of business. Can't see why he would want to leave one set of underachievers for another though. Maybe he could be sold on the idea of other signings coming in but I wouldn't hold my breath.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Absolutely zero chance they go near him, given what’s happening with his personal life right now.

So it's not based on football then.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement