Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

There's also the possibility that Haaland massively underwhelms to the point that other clubs don't want him at the price we'd be looking to recoup in 2-3 years ala Pogba, and we get to "keep" him for longer.

That's probably the least likeliest tbf. He's a goal machine and will be his whole career injuries allowing. If he'd sign, it'd be a no-brainer even for only three season plus a sell-on profit.

How many years of Ronaldo's peak did we get and everyone is still raving about him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Daily Mail sayin Spurs have identified Martial as a makeweight in any possible deal for Kane.

That would be amazing. 2 birds with one stone.

Bret Hart wrote: »
    We're a long way,from challenging for major trophies.

He says, with a straight face, less than a fortnight before their appearance in the final of a major trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs not even among the 23 shortlisted?
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    Absolutely zero chance they go near him, given what’s happening with his personal life right now.
    kowloonkev wrote: »
    So it's not based on football then.

Can understand why they're not going near him right now given his personal life but it just feels strange to completely ignore him.

I don't like Giggs, never have particularly but it just feels strange to completely ignore the player with the most ever PL titles, most seasons ever appeared in, 2nd most appearances, most assists, etc.

I know why they're doing it but he's not even in the conversation when still technically innocent until proven guilty. Even if guilty, does that diminish football honours? Certainly debateable.

Drive him down now, if there was ever a Spursy player it is Anthony Martial.

Tony and 50/60m for Kane would be a great bit of business. Can't see why he would want to leave one set of underachievers for another though. Maybe he could be sold on the idea of other signings coming in but I wouldn't hold my breath.

No way Levy loses Kane and then pays his replacement, Tony @#$% Martial, more than him :o

Martial really has very little market value sitting on the wage he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He says, with a straight face, less than a fortnight before their appearance in the final of a major trophy.

The Europa League is a 2nd tier competition. Shows how far United have fallen that fans are trying to call it a major trophy. Though the promise of a CL spot has slightly elevated it I guess. This season for United it's pointless really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

6pm kick off this evening folks :) Gonna watch the Leicester game then at 8.15pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Drive him down now, if there was ever a Spursy player it is Anthony Martial.

Tony and 50/60m for Kane would be a great bit of business. Can't see why he would want to leave one set of underachievers for another though. Maybe he could be sold on the idea of other signings coming in but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Think the difference is even with us being “underachievers” since Fergie left, we’ve still won 5 trophies and are in another final this year.

Even during Spurs greatest runs with Kane and Poch they have still yet to win anything with him.

We may be underachieving for a club United’s size but certainly more successful than Spurs.

Will see what happens and I’m not getting my hopes up of him joining us but Kane needs to go somewhere else if he’s to win trophies.

Of course you can argue given the right manager maybe they will but he’s been their for 8 season as a senior squad member with nothing trophy wise to show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Can you see Kane and Cavani up front together?

I wouldn't like to see Cavani regulated to the bench next season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Think the difference is even with us being “underachievers” since Fergie left, we’ve still won 5 trophies and are in another final this year.

Even during Spurs greatest runs with Kane and Poch they have still yet to win anything with him.

We may be underachieving for a club United’s size but certainly more successful than Spurs.

Will see what happens and I’m not getting my hopes up of him joining us but Kane needs to go somewhere else if he’s to win trophies.

Of course you can argue given the right manager maybe they will but he’s been their for 8 season as a senior squad member with nothing trophy wise to show.
    I get your point, but it's 3 trophies. The Charity Shield is a preseason friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Klopp

I don't see why Ole would want Kane, the transfer fee alone would be his budget for the window. We have bigger holes in the first team that need addressing, like RW, DM and a CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Liam O wrote: »
    The Europa League is a 2nd tier competition. Shows how far United have fallen that fans are trying to call it a major trophy. Though the promise of a CL spot has slightly elevated it I guess. This season for United it's pointless really.

Agreed.

We only got into the EL because we finished 3rd from 4th in the group stages.

You might as well forget about CL if winning EL is a big achievement. We'd win Europa most seasons.

The 16 teams advancing to the CL knockout rounds all had more successful european campaigns than us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Pipmae wrote: »
    6pm kick off this evening folks :) Gonna watch the Leicester game then at 8.15pm.

Early kick off suits the fact the Eurovision is on :pac:
    Klopp wrote: »
    I don't see why Ole would want Kane, the transfer fee alone would be his budget for the window. We have bigger holes in the first team that need addressing, like RW, DM and a CB.

Signing a striker would likely mean the Rw role would be Greenwood’s next season. So it’s not really a case of leaving the holes gaping, in a way. It’s just choosing to renforce striker and letting Greenwood develop for another year as a RW player. As opposed to bringing in a Sancho, and moving Greenwood into the striker role instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Klopp wrote: »
    I don't see why Ole would want Kane

because he's the best player in England and one of the top 10 in the world?
    And if United don't sign him, he's likely to go to a direct rival?

It's always a risk spending that much on one player but it's also a risk not buying him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I think he'll end up at Man City. He wants to win and that is more guaranteed there than here plus they need to replace Aguero. Also, I doubt Levy will want to sell to another London club in Chelsea. Actually, I think it might be a good thing in the long run as it may eliminate them from the Haaland race next year. I think he stays at Dortmund one more if they finish in a CL spot. Dark horse could be Mbappe if Pep goes for him.

This summer we really need to focus on upgrading the #6 position and get Sancho. Also I'd love if we got Pau Torres but I know that's not going to happen.

Liam O wrote: »

Rubbish.

It is only a 2nd tier competition in the eyes of the Sky TV generation who had no idea football existed before the early 90s. It is a major European trophy, 2nd only to the Champion's League. In terms of overall cachet or prestige, then the premier league also pips it but there are no other club trophies which come close to claiming third spot.

I suppose you're right in the sense that its 2nd tier, but only if you claim that the 1st tier contains only two competitions. If you judge your season a failure because you didn't come close to winning either of those two comps, then you better get used to failure.

Calling it pointless for United this season however, is wide of the mark. Big game experience, the chance to represent your team in a European final, getting used to the pressures of a one-off match, winning medals and (possibly) trophies.........not to mention the additional funds and extra exposure that go along with all that. Far fro pointless.

I get your point, but it's 3 trophies. The Charity Shield is a preseason friendly.

Understand that but I’d say Kane would still snatch your arm off for one of those!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

L'Equipe reporting that Martial expected to be in the France squad for Euro 2020, and that's even accounting for Benzema being recalled.

How?! : confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

We haven't won a trophy since the EL in 2017. A lot of this squad hasn't won one either. Regardless of whether its our top priority or not as a club of our size, we're in no position to be turning down trophies. It would be a massive boost for the squad and manager to win the EL this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

"When you are hoping to dig a really big hole, you don't reject a good shovel because you think you need a JCB."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

"When you are hoping to dig a really big hole, you don't reject a good shovel because you think you need a JCB."

And Martial is standing up against the shovel! :P :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

L'Equipe reporting that Martial expected to be in the France squad for Euro 2020, and that's even accounting for Benzema being recalled.

How?! : confused:
    26 man squad. Although I think Benzema is the one benefiting from that. Deschamps is an odd chap.

xtal191 wrote: »

Is that a Bruno can ask a bit too much of us at times award?!

No, in all seriousness, Shaw has been very good and hopefully he has a good Euros and continues in this vein for the next few seasons.

I've been a big critic of his, but his form has been excellent, he still needs to produce it over several seasons though for me to fully trust him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Adamocovic wrote: »

Oh yeah, not comparing us to Spurs like for like, sorry if it came across like that - just my understanding of the situation is that Harry is about to turn 28 and wants to compete at the top table of English and European football so I don't see why he would join United as things stand. He doesn't have 2 or 3 years to build he will want a City or a PSG type team you'd imagine

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Rubbish.

It is only a 2nd tier competition in the eyes of the Sky TV generation who had no idea football existed before the early 90s. It is a major European trophy, 2nd only to the Champion's League. In terms of overall cachet or prestige, then the premier league also pips it but there are no other club trophies which come close to claiming third spot.

I suppose you're right in the sense that its 2nd tier, but only if you claim that the 1st tier contains only two competitions. If you judge your season a failure because you didn't come close to winning either of those two comps, then you better get used to failure.

Calling it pointless for United this season however, is wide of the mark. Big game experience, the chance to represent your team in a European final, getting used to the pressures of a one-off match, winning medals and possibly) trophies.........not to mention the additional funds and extra exposure that go along with all that. Far fro pointless.

Tbh, it's mainly hipsters or rival fans that seem to get their jollies out of slating the competition and even at that, it's mainly those going through a purple patch that try to denigrate it.

Of course it's not at the same level as winning the CL or the PL, but we haven't been competitive in those for a number of years. With the current group of players and the current manager, the EL is pretty much our level.

I'd rather be winning the big two but in a success starved spell, its a great little trophy to win and I'll be really disappointed if we don't this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

It'll soon be heading for a decade since our last PL title win.

No way are we in a position to look down our noses at the EL.
    Winning it would be massive.

Don't know how many of you are old enough to remember the ECWC win in 91 (I think it was) - but that was a massive moment for a developing United team. And was a great platform for a decade of success which followed.
    Sure, we had a very special manager at that time, vs a much more inexperienced man now.

But success breeds success. There's no substitute for winning trophies.

And the EL trumps the two domestic cups imo.

I know what you're saying and I agree in spirit. But you're also being a little dismissive with the "great little trophy" bit. It's a European trophy that has been somewhat cheapened in recent years but still commands serious respect. Anyone who thinks we shouldn't be bothered with it or would prefer if we 4th in the league to winning this needs their head checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Henderson dropped. I know he had a mare against Liverpool but I don't like this move. Henderson will make some mistakes but I think he's better than De Gea in a number of areas already and I think he has a high ceiling.

It's the one position I think you should just back your man.

• Advertisement

Henderson dropped. I know he had a mare against Liverpool but I don't like this move. Henderson will make some mistakes but I think he's better than De Gea in a number of areas already and I think he has a high ceiling.

I saw a theory that this could be DDG's "farewell" match as its the last OT match until next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I saw a theory that this could be DDG's "farewell" match as its the last OT match until next season.

Only thing I can think of that would justify it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

De Gea over Henderson is interesting.

Sky already running transfer stories on it, saying Henderson is going to be targetted in the summer.

Could be a 'farewell' for DDG, who knows. I would expect DDG to start the EL (he became the EL keeper, to be fair) so maybe Ole wants him in prior to that to get/keep him sharp.

Impossible to know unless Ole talks to it pre-match, which I would be shocked by.

If DDG has been picked for next season over Henderson, could be down to Henderson being sellable and DDG not (due to high wages)

Like seeing Tuanzebe instead of Bailly. Bailly was headless against Liverpool, Tuanzebe and Lindelof did very well against PSG earlier this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Zeek12 wrote: »
    It'll soon be heading for a decade since our last PL title win.

No way are we in a position to look down our noses at the EL.
    Winning it would be massive.

Don't know how many of you are old enough to remember the ECWC win in 91 (I think it was) - but that was a massive moment for a developing United team. And was a great platform for a decade of success which followed.
    Sure, we had a very special manager at that time, vs a much more inexperienced man now.

But success breeds success. There's no substitute for winning trophies.

And the EL trumps the two domestic cups imo.

While I agree that winning trophies is important to a team, we did win the EL in 2017, but it did not usher in any period of success :)

Whatever competition your in, the aim should be to win it. Developing a trophy winning mentality is vital.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

While I agree that winning trophies is important to a team, we did win the EL in 2017, but it did not usher in any period of success :)

Whatever competition your in, the aim should be to win it. Developing a trophy winning mentality is vital.

This is true.

But please don't stop me from dreaming it could be different next time :pac:

I like it to be honest.

Not buying into the farewell idea but it makes sense to me.

DDG will be playing the Europa League final. Let him get some game time here and then rest him for the weekend against Wolves before he plays in the final.

Just to keep him sharp, rather than sitting him on the bench for 3 games in a row.

De Gea over Henderson is interesting.

Sky already running transfer stories on it, saying Henderson is going to be targetted in the summer.

Could be a 'farewell' for DDG, who knows. I would expect DDG to start the EL (he became the EL keeper, to be fair) so maybe Ole wants him in prior to that to get/keep him sharp.

Impossible to know unless Ole talks to it pre-match, which I would be shocked by.

If DDG has been picked for next season over Henderson, could be down to Henderson being sellable and DDG not (due to high wages)

Certainly one of them has to go in the summer but it’s up in the air to who it will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

good to see rashford getting a rest.

i just bought FM 2021. time to go on a spending spree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Bet De Gea plays on Sunday too and Henderson will play for the final

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Bet De Gea plays on Sunday too and Henderson will play for the final

Imagine.

Am I wrong in saying De Gea and Henderson have played exactly same amount of games in Europa League this season? 4 a piece?

Actually so good to see and hear fans back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Like seeing Tuanzebe instead of Bailly. Bailly was headless against Liverpool, Tuanzebe and Lindelof did very well against PSG earlier this season.

Yeah but had a mare in Turkey.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah but had a mare in Turkey.

So did the other 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bit of a dreadful match so far

Playing Fred and McT in games like this shows the problem with our midfield options.

Eh, penalty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sheer class

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

arms all over cavani there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow what a way to brighten up a game

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement