Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Chelsea failing to beat Leicester.

A Leicester win puts us under real pressure to get a result against Wolves. Pick up an injury to a key player in that game and it's a curse for the final, play a weak side and we'll likely end up finishing third.

Solksjaer only has himself to blame making a drama out of our end to the season.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

bruno admits to not touching the ball. what a bad decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

We're not gonna finish 3rd, we'd have to lose against Wolves and Leicester would have to win tonight and against Spurs, I cant see that happening at all

°°°°°

xtal191 wrote: »
    We're not gonna finish 3rd, we'd have to lose against Wolves and Leicester would have to win tonight and against Spurs, I cant see that happening at all

After 15 minutes tonight I didn't see us dropping points.

Spurs aren't playing for anything either, Chelsea seem to be cursed against Leicester at the moment. Big 45 minutes for United coming up.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

nullzero wrote: »
    Chelsea failing to beat Leicester.

A Leicester win puts us under real pressure to get a result against Wolves. Pick up an injury to a key player in that game and it's a curse for the final, play a weak side and we'll likely end up finishing third.

Solksjaer only has himself to blame making a drama out of our end to the season.

After the Liverpool game and this shambles tonight they deserve whatever comes there way.
    One good performance in one of these games would of left a comfortable run up to the final.
    They are just as disinterested as the owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

After 15 minutes tonight I didn't see us dropping points.

Spurs aren't playing for anything either, Chelsea seem to be cursed against Leicester at the moment. Big 45 minutes for United coming up.

We seem to need to go a go down to actually start playing. Against Liverpool and tonight against Fulham, we started really well and went 1 up, and then decided the job was done and stopped playing. The longer the game went on and we hadn't got the 2nd goal, the more likely it seemed that Fulham would score.

°°°°°

Chelsea ahead.

Relying on others to help us out. Pathetic.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Chelsea ahead.

Relying on others to help us out. Pathetic.

Pathetic yeah, of course.

How are we relying on anyone though? Top 4 was sealed a while back no?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

5. Finished with 66 last season. Currently on 71.

So we can't match Jose's finish now then when he finished second.

I'm still not really sure what this progress is, not to mention a style of play. We don't look any better defensively, worse in fact and going forward is still just hoping someone does something.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

Top 4?

Surely we should be comfortably finishing second.

Are our expectations really that low?

Glazers Out!

Top 4?

Surely we should be comfortably finishing second.

Are our expectations really that low?

They obviously are for the club yeah. I don't think second is much of an achievement either tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

chelsea and leicester both look better than us currently

we are too dependant on something maybe happening imo

°°°°°

They obviously are for the club yeah. I don't think second is much of an achievement either tbh

Second isn't an achievement, it's just more tolerable than throwing away second stupidly and finishing third.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Were not, just the usual total over reaction to dropped points on the Utd thread. When Jose got 2nd is was his greatest achievement, for Ole its a pathethic finish to the season.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

chelsea and leicester both look better than us currently

we are too dependant on something maybe happening imo

When it comes down to it, our players aren't up to it and our manager is too nice a guy to be a properly successful football manager.

Ferguson was if we're being objective, a b@stard. He was a bloody minded winner, Solksjaer isn't anything like that and none of our other managerial failures have lived up to it. The closest was Jose, but we got him in the beginning of his narcissism but no success period.

All of our problems boil down to the owners and always will, the players and managers that fail to bring success to United are just symptoms of the Glazers ownership.

It's just Groundhog day at United and will continue to be until they're gone.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

Were not, just the usual total over reaction to dropped points on the Utd thread. When Jose got 2nd is was his greatest achievement, for Ole its a pathethic finish to the season.

Over reaction to dropping points against a relegated side at home when we needed to just hold onto a 1-0 lead to secure second place in the league? Right.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

5. Finished with 66 last season. Currently on 71.

No progress really, considering the absolute diabolical squad we had at the start of last year... Pereira, James, Young, Chong, Dalot and an out of form Lingard all playing loads in the first half of that season. Added to that the fact that we only had Bruno for the second half of the season.

I was all for giving Ole time and I think he has done a good job in creating a good foundation but there's no cohesion or spark to that team... Only individuals getting us out trouble at times.

Liverpool's disaster of a season has made things seem better than they actually are. We're very fortunate not to be in a scrap for 4th like last year.

EL win will only be plastering over the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Pathetic performance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

PARlance wrote: »
    No progress really, considering the absolute diabolical squad we had at the start of last year... Pereira, James, Young, Chong, Dalot and an out of form Lingard all playing loads in the first half of that season. Added to that the fact that we only had Bruno for the second half of the season.

I was all for giving Ole time and I think he has done a good job in creating a good foundation but there's no cohesion or spark to that team... Only individuals getting us out trouble at times.

Liverpool's disaster of a season has made things seem better than they actually are. We're very fortunate not to be in a scrap for 4th like last year.

EL win will only be plastering over the cracks.

Liverpool had a stinker yet they could be 5 points behind us.

Chelsea sacked their manager they were underachieving.

Everything went our way really in terms of other teams. City were 8th or something in October I think. Spurs so bad they sacked their manager too.

• Advertisement

Over reaction to dropping points against a relegated side at home when we needed to just hold onto a 1-0 lead to secure second place in the league? Right.

Yes, the only time we've finished top four consecutively since Fergie and win or lose tonight and we are still 2nd. Some of the reactions you'd have thought we'd just dropped out of top four. Hyperbole.

We will finish 2nd and have a cup final to look forward to, lighten up.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Liverpool had a stinker yet they could be 5 points behind us.

Chelsea sacked their manager they were underachieving.

Everything went our way really in terms of other teams. City were 8th or something in October I think. Spurs so bad they sacked their manager too.

Don't forget the massive injury problems Leicester have had.

°°°°°

Yes, the only time we've finished top four consecutively since Fergie and win or lose tonight and we are still 2nd. Some of the reactions you'd have thought we'd just dropped out of top four. Hyperbole.

Lighten up?

So far this month we've lost 3 of 5 games played and conceded 11 goals.

I was looking forward to the Europa league final until our defence decided to phone in their remaining performances this season.

Finishing second with a whimper and going into a major final looking like we might well be embarrassed isn't a great end to a season.

Glazers Out!

Lighten up?

So far this month we've lost 3 of 5 games played and conceded 11 goals.

I was looking forward to the Europa league final until our defence decided to phone in their remaining performances this season.

Finishing second with a whimper and going into a major final looking like we might well be embarrassed isn't a great end to a season.

Its opinions like this I'm talking about. We've played Villarreal 4 times and had four nil nil draws. Now because we drew a game which has had no effect on our position, a game where we created many chances btw, and all of a sudden we are going to be throttled by Villarreal. Give me a break.

There's a middle ground. A top 4 finish at the beginning of the season would have been considered a success. And we've achieved that, and will likely finish 2nd. If we beat Villareal and win the EL it's been a successful season 100%. And as good as we're going to get under the Glazers.

But our form recently has been very very poor. 1 point form 3 home games is relegation form. And it's not what you want with a cup final in a week. 2nd place should have been signed, sealed and delivered by now. But we've let it come down to the last game of the season. That's a concern.

But I agree, some of the posts have been totally reactionary and revisionist. Ole has his limitations but name a manager who would do better than 2nd with this squad.

TRC10 wrote: »
    There's a middle ground. A top 4 finish at the beginning of the season would have been considered a success. And we've achieved that, and will likely finish 2nd. If we beat Villareal and win the EL it's been a successful season 100%. And as good as we're going to get under the Glazers.

But our form recently has been very very poor. 1 point form 3 home games is relegation form. And it's not what you want with a cup final in a week. 2nd place should have been signed, sealed and delivered by now. But we've let it come down to the last game of the season. That's a concern.

But I agree, some of the posts have been totally reactionary and revisionist. Ole has his limitations but name a manager who would do better than 2nd with this squad.

Ah here I'll leave ye to it.

Don't forget the massive injury problems Leicester have had.

just keep chanting the mantra that no one can question.

progress!

is the europa league comparable to winning the championship? in that it is a 2nd tier comp and the only reason utd can win it is because they got 'relegated' from the top tier comp?

Its opinions like this I'm talking about. We've played Villarreal 4 times and had four nil nil draws. Now because we drew a game which has had no effect on our position, a game where we created many chances btw, and all of a sudden we are going to be throttled by Villarreal. Give me a break.

Well if you're going to take that line... What (insert some expletives) have the 4 previous draws got to do with the upcoming game. 2 games from 13 years ago and 2 from 16 years ago...

I think we'll win the final myself btw but it's just papering over cracks.

Ah here I'll leave ye to it.

I was agreeing with you, while also pointing out the poor form.

Do you disagree that the form has been poor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It wasn't just tonight's game though, we've been poor for a few games and look dodgy as fcuk at the back. Villarreal may not be world beaters but neither are we and they have a manager in charge well versed in winning the EL. They are also playing for CL qualification, we are just playing for the trophy.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

We last played Villarreal in 2008.

Hardly applicable to anything happening today.

I'll tell you something that is relevant to today though, Unai Emery is the current Villarreal manager and he has won the Europea league three years on the bounce with Sevilla the last of which was in 2016, not so far away that it's irrelevant like our bore draws against Villarreal 13 years ago.

The man has form for this competition, our manager has form for flopping when it counts and we're in horrific form, particularly in defence. But yeah we should be optimistic because we drew against them in 2008.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to be frustrated and worried about recent performances given there is a cup final next week.

Defensively shaky and performances have been lacklustre when going forward and generally looking uninspiring.

Lots of variables to be considered like end of season fatigue, top 4 wrapped up so little to play for but concerning players are not playing to their best to ensure their place in the final. Maybe a given Ole has decided the team.

Either way, think fans are allowed be critical given that was the first time fans were in Old Trafford (legally) in 14 months and it was a poor performance albeit with a Cavani wonder goal.

All will be forgotten with a win over Villarreal but recent form will not have helped the confidence. Looking forward to it all the same.

°°°°°

Imagine if we'd picked up half the points we dropped stupidly this season...

We'd be be within our rights to be optimistic about next season and watching the Liverpool thread celebrating goals by their keeper in injury time and desperately crunching the numbers to see how they might scrape into the top 4 would be genuinely hilarious.

At this point I'm too nervous about the direction we're headed in to even laugh at them.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Any of these start.sunday or will he rest.the lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭bassy

anyone reckon we might get kane,as the glazers might spend the money to land kane to try sweeten the fans.

if its not been posted already

boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

We've been on a bad run ever since we secured the EL final.
    Seems like the eyes have been set on that by manager and players alike.

Still, been a weird year but back-to-back top 4s, and a chance at winning a cup in the end. Has been far from perfect and we've a ways to go yet but Ole has done enough to warrant sticking with him for now. First two full seasons in charge have seen us finish 3rd and 2nd.

For as much as people doubt him have to give him that. In the 8 seasons since Fergie has left we've only finished in the top 4, four times. Twice now with Ole.

And as for the ideas that winning the cup will paint over cracks or lower the likelihood of spending in the summer? Nonsense in my eyes.
    Should be looking to win it. Finishing poorly and outside of the top 4 hasn't boosted us previously in the summer market so why would it now. Never do understand that argument.

Yet again we will probably bring in a couple of players not quite at the level, maybe a few punts, and then one bigger money purchase to round it off. I will say I do have a bit more faith in the players bought during Ole's reign but we do need a big signing.

Bruno, Maguire, AWB, Donny, Amad, Telles, Ighalo, Cavani and even James. Not all have been brilliant obviously, and some may be more to the future but at least it has been money better spent in my eyes.

Where did I say Jose getting second was his greatest achievement and ole getting second is pathetic?

You are defending how the team has played over the last few games?

Okay, go on.

Edit: you know what, I've re read it and I think you are referring to the bit about not needing others to do us any favours when you said we're not which I agree with obviously so apologies if that's the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The frustration around our PL form is somewhat understandable but I agree with those who think that it's leading to excessive pessimism and panic.

Both ourselves and City appear to be winding down a unique domestic season with one eye on a European final ever since City took an insurmountable lead and we secured top 4.

A very quick look at the form guide and from what I can tell United have taken 8 from the last 18 points on offer while City have taken 9. United have taken 4 points from their last 4 home games whereas City have taken just 3.

Are City fans equally worried about the CL final and questioning their ability to improve their league form when things start up again next season?

• Advertisement

bassy wrote: »
    anyone reckon we might get kane,as the glazers might spend the money to land kane to try sweeten the fans.

Ask yourself the question from this point of view, your Harry Kane, your desperate to win trophies and you will be 28 by the time the new seasons kicks off.

Would you join United?

I think we have to be in for him, but why would he chose us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Matic, Pogba and Bruno midfield in the final?

[url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭bassy

Ask yourself the question from this point of view, your Harry Kane, your desperate to win trophies and you will be 28 by the time the new seasons kicks off.

Would you join United?

I think we have to be in for him, but why would he chose us?

a chelsea fan siad that to me and hes a life long chelsea fan hes 63 yrs old and can see between the lines in all footy matters.
    but it is a interesting statement from him,might all be just guesswork etc

why kane choose us over city,its like this we need 4-5 top players to compete for the league and you have to start some where with the first one being kane.your not gonna get them top 4 or 5 world class players in the same summer or window etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I think we'll win the final myself btw but it's just papering over cracks.

Yeah basically this.

Everyone wants Ole to succeed but some of the fanbase are lying to themselves if they really believe he can take us forward.

The football hasn't progressed, were as bad as we were pre Bruno we just have better players. A Europa League victory will buy him more time but ultimately were going nowhere with him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Seems to be chatter from decently reliable sources for Getafe and Uruguayan news that we are bidding 18-20m on Mauro Arambarri.

25 year old midfielder. Seems to be described as a more aggressive McT. Not nessecarily a straight CDM, but loves to tackle, great interceptions and pressuring, loves a long shot but has questionable passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

In city’s last 6 league games they have lost 3 and won 3 (loses to Brighton, chelsea and Leeds). United have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2 (loses to Liverpool and Leicester).

Considering the fact United had to change an entire team between Leicester and Liverpool I’m not sure how this looks any worse then City who have a stronger squad and they don’t seem to arsed trying to get a savage points tally. We pretty much guaranteed top four after the spurs game.

If United wins against Villareal, these last few games won’t matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Drumpot wrote: »
    In city’s last 6 league games they have lost 3 and won 3 (loses to Brighton, chelsea and Leeds). United have won 2, drawn 2 and lost 2 (loses to Liverpool and Leicester).

Considering the fact United had to change an entire team between Leicester and Liverpool I’m not sure how this looks any worse then City who have a stronger squad and they don’t seem to arsed trying to get a savage points tally. We pretty much guaranteed top four after the spurs game.

If United wins against Villareal, these last few games won’t matter.
    The worry is whether United can "turn it on" when needed when we've been very poor the last three games.

The worry is whether United can "turn it on" when needed when we've been very poor the last three games.

That’s a reasonable concern but once they win the last 2 weeks don’t matter much to me.

I would wonder if city have similar concerns with their looming CL final on the back of erratic performances and conceding an awful lot of goals recently. But that on itself shows United are not alone with this weird form. I wonder if United had been like Chelsea (needing wins) would we be in better shape leading up to the final.

City have won the league and are resting players are they not?

We rested players once I think, it's our first team that's playing ****.

City have a far better squad obviously so they would have more cause to be confident that once the important game comes their manager will be able to motivate them and they will have a wealth of talent to choose from based on how they are going in training that week. They have trophies in the locker already this season, they have shown they can turn up when it counts and get the job done.

I understand the temptation to draw a comparison, but there isn't really one when you scratch the surface. United have had things to play for even still, but I could accept it if the likes of Bruno, Shaw, Cavani etc were not playing much and we were seeing the squad players more, you expect underperforming there because logic.

It's when even the consistent players, like Shaw, Fred, Bruno etc start to play like dog**** and getting into bad habits that you become concerned as a fan, I don't believe you can just turn it on at will and as much as winning becomes a habit, failing to get the job done and going into a rut also becomes habitual. We have seen the cycles with Ole since his time at the club began, it can take some time to pull out of a rut, we have a final soon we can't afford to stumble into it like we have and assume everything will be alright on the night and the lads will then up.

With regard to what city fans make of their teams form, who actually cares? I worry about man united. I want man united to do well, I want Ole to prove me wrong, I want the club to be successful and win trophies. I want the squad to learn to how to defend a set piece, develop a tactical plan of attack and form good habits, consistently do the right things understanding that it won't always give the right result but will pay off in the long term.

I don't care about what any other team is doing or if we are as **** as or not quite as **** as X or y team who happens to be in poor form/has checked out since winning a title.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Klopp

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Early kick off suits the fact the Eurovision is on :pac:

Signing a striker would likely mean the Rw role would be Greenwood’s next season. So it’s not really a case of leaving the holes gaping, in a way. It’s just choosing to renforce striker and letting Greenwood develop for another year as a RW player. As opposed to bringing in a Sancho, and moving Greenwood into the striker role instead.

Greenwood has done great out their but he's not RW and i doubt he wants to be either, he would be more dangerous and effective down the middle with dribbling and beating a man or two. We bought Valencia to replace Beckham and he ended up as a RB. The team don't need Kane, it is madness, we have enough forwards if you look at the goals scored this season.

City have won the league and are resting players are they not?

We tested players once I think, it's our first team that's playing ****.

City have a far better squad obviously so they would have more cause to be confident that once the important game comes their manage will be able to motivate them and they will have a wealth of talent to choose from based on how they are going in training that week. They have trophies in the locker already this season, they have shown they can turn up when it counts and get the job done.

I understand the temptation to draw a comparison, but there isn't really one when you scratch the surface. United have had things to play for even still, but I could accept it if the likes of Bruno, Shaw, Cavani etc were not playing much and we were seeing the squad players more, you expect underperforming there because logic.

It's when even the consistent players, like Shaw, Fred, Bruno etc start to play like dog**** and getting into bad habits that you become concerned as a fan, I don't believe you can just turn it on at will and as much as winning becomes a habit, failing to get the job done and going into a rut also becomes habitual. We have seen the cycles with Ole since his time at the club began, it can take some time to pull out of a rut, we have a final soon we can't afford to stumble into it like we have and assume everything will be alright on the night and the lads will then up.

With regard to what city fans make of their teams form, who actually cares? I worry about man united. I want man united to do well, I want Ole to prove me wrong, I want the club to be successful and win trophies. I want the squad to learn to how to defend a set piece, develop a tactical plan of attack and form good habits, consistently do the right things understanding that it won't always give the right result but will pay off in the long term.

I don't care about what any other team is doing or if we are as **** as or not quite as **** as X or y team who happens to be in poor form/has checked out since winning a title.

I don’t care about city either, my point is that erratic form right now is not unique to United. United have had nothing to play for in the league, 3rd over 2nd is not exactly the same as fighting for top 4 (like Chelsea and Leicester fighting for their lives) or trying to win a cup.

Yes, the form has happened with Ole in the past but the team went on a fairly savage run up until one week ago. Every team goes through blips, ours is happening when it doesn’t matter once we win the final. Maybe the team has taken foot off the pedal a bit but like I’ve said, once they pick it up for the final (they’ve shown they can find form from nowhere) I don’t care.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement