Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,346 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

piplip87 wrote: »
    All the talk about Haaland and Kane and boom here comes Danny Ings jaysus. Good striker but definitely not what we need.

Ings would be a good signing as part of a summer package of signings.

If we sign Kane or Haaland, we are signing no one else, imo.

Sancho, Ings and Bissouma (for example) could be bought for about what it would cost to be Kane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

This hall of fame thing is meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

This hall of fame thing is meaningless.

everything is meaningless at the end of the day, what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Sancho, Bissouma, a CB & Ings would be an amazing window & semi within the realms of possibility. That would be the three positions strengthened where we are crying out for reinforcements, along with an additional ST knowing that our first choice will not play every game.

Cavani, Ings, Greenwood, Martial, Rashford as ST options

Sancho, Greenwood, Amad, James as RW options

Rashford, Martial, Sancho, Pogba, James as LW options

There's a lot of goals and flexibility there. We would no longer be in a position where one or two injuries means a huge drop in quality coming into the starting 11 and even more limited quality to change a game from the bench.

Obviously that would still not be an ideal squad, but it would push us towards a real challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Fire up the circus music, one of Pogba's brothers running his mouth.

https://twitter.com/UtdDistrict/status/1395376315075866628

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

v3ttel wrote: »
    Sancho, Bissouma, a CB & Ings.

Ya I would take those players right now, and hopefully build again next summer for a league challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,592 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Dear Mathias,

Yeah, we hope he signs for Barcelona too. Provided it's cash up front as their finances are a bit dodgy.

Signed,

Most United fans xoxox

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

loyatemu wrote: »

Well.... yes/no... that’s a much bigger discussion.
    The hall of fame thing just seems very contrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Lithium93_ wrote: »

https://twitter.com/UtdDistrict/status/1395376315075866628

You and me both Brother Pogba

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Wouldn't mind Ings at all, no way we're able to spend 120M.on Kane and address the gaping holes behind him on the pitch. Ings and a quality CDM and LCB and I think I'd be ok. Would like Sancho obviously but I can't see 4 players coming in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Ings would be great tbh especially for the fee compared to Kane. Would be shrewd business.

Ings, Sacho, Bissouma and a CB(Konsa possibly). Would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

wadacrack wrote: »
    Ings would be great tbh especially for the fee compared to Kane. Would be shrewd business.

Have we been linked much with Bissouma?

Heard Arsenal and Liverpool talked about a lot, but not United.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Would anyone take a gamble on André Silva? I know the German league can sometimes be deceptive but he’s not at one of the top clubs there & is banging in the goals. I’d imagine he wouldn’t break the bank & is a younger option.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭blackwave

wadacrack wrote: »

Only thing with Ings is that he is very injury prone. I do rate him but he's made of glass. He's missed around 10 games this season and this is for a club without European football.

blackwave wrote: »
    Only thing with Ings is that he is very injury prone. I do rate him but he's made of glass.

Hes probbaly as "injury prone" as Kane.

Look he banged in plenty of goals during the last 2 years. at 15m/20 m, hes the type of player we havent got and would be a good option to have to play in rotation/come off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Put a serious bid in for haaland, if turned down then get ings and sacho with no messing around for months.

Then get the dm or the CB in (or both in ideal world)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

loyatemu wrote: »

Meaning is subjective, as is everything. It's objectivity that's a cod.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Put a serious bid in for haaland, if turned down then get ings and sacho with no messing around for months.

Then get the dm or the CB in (or both in ideal world)
    Just like with Kane, a serious bid for Haaland would be well North of £100m, leaving no money to fill the more pressing holes in the team. Its not going to happen.

Just like with Kane, a serious bid for Haaland would be well North of £100m, leaving no money to fill the more pressing holes in the team. Its not going to happen.

How much was spent the season we got Pogba?

We picked up Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Bailly that season......so theres a chance we could pick up a big name signing and a few smaller ones.

Im not confident of it, but its not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Ya I would take those players right now, and hopefully build again next summer for a league challenge.

How much money do you think it takes to challenge for the league?

Ole has already spent close to 300m.

Sancho, Bissouma, Ings and a CB this summer = approx. 200m

Next summer let's say 150m.

That's 650m and then you think we can HOPEFULLY...CHALLENGE for the league?

Ole has fooled you all.

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »

Ole has fooled you all.

Indeed and the current champions put together their squad for Penny's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Ideal Summer signings on a somewhat realistic budget….

Sancho - £80 million.
    Rice - £60 million.
    Varane - £40 million.

If Pogba leaves along with Lingard and a goalkeeper. That would recoup about £100 million.

Buy Reuben Neves - £40 million.

Net Spend of £120 million.

De Gea or Hendo
    AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
    Rice Neves
    Sancho Bruno Rashford
    Cavani

Indeed and the current champions put together their squad for Penny's

How much did Liverpools league winning squad cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Ole has fooled you all.

Yeah Ole has fooled us all. I'd love for you to explain how exactly he has fooled us when Citys bench is worth 462m and they've spent half a billion on defenders alone.

553639.jpg
    bench.jpg

About 110m more than Ole's spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭billyhead

I'm increasingly confident that the Glazers would sanction the signing of Kane to placate the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

United are trying to build a squad that can challenge consistently ...... not a team of 13 players that can't handle a few injuries or repeated challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

United are trying to build a squad that can challenge consistently ...... not a team of 13 players that can't handle a few injuries or repeated challenges.

Hmm I dunno about that, we'd be in pretty big trouble if say we lost Bruno and Maguire for a large chunk of a season.

Yeah Ole has fooled us all. I'd love for you to explain how exactly he has fooled us when Citys bench is worth 462m and they've spent half a billion on defenders alone.

553639.jpg
    bench.jpg

Very misleading that considering Rodri, Cancelo, Sterling are first choice players...

It'd be like having Pogba, Maguire and Bruno on the bench and totting it up.

And btw, Pep is seen as favourite for the league every year. There's no "hoping to challenge"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There's no need to round up fees when they are already huge in order to make a point. Big bug bear of mine.

• Advertisement

Ole has fooled you all.

ok, lets say a better manager takes over tomorrow. what are the minimum signings you think are needed to go for the title next season?

xtal191 wrote: »
    Hmm I dunno about that, we'd be in pretty big trouble if say we lost Bruno and Maguire for a large chunk of a season.

weird, isn't it, how people are saying United should be looking at another CB and someone like Sancho (who can provide another creative goal scoring threat).

Almost like people think relying on those two players to always be fit should be a consideration.

About 110m more than Ole's spend.

So 1.5 Maguires and we'll be breaking records and winning the CL will we yeah?

50 plus each on Kieta and Allison
    70 plus on van dijk
    40 plus on fabinhio
    Think mane and Salah where both about 40 each

That's off the top of my head. Liverpool ain't leicester city. Your talking out your hoop

how much would Liverpool's team cost to buy right now?

Liverpool recruited brilliantly for their title winning side - Mane, Salah got for less than half you'd pay for them now. TAA a youth product. Left back whose name is escaping me right now. stel, excellent buy. Fabinho a sign many United fans were SCREAMING for.

i wish United could pick up players for similar prices and see them impact the same way liverpool's signings have - United have been poor in the market. where we have bought relatively cheap buys they either have not worked out, or have been less than we would like.

bailly
    Lindelof
    James
    Only Lindelof can be pointed at as a good signing, and we are looking to replace him.

VDB and Fred at near 50 each, neither performing as 50m players.

So on the one hand you could, and should, point at Liverpool's sucess in the market at relatively good prices (augmented by VVD and Alison signings) and say United should be building a title winning side for the same type of money, and I'd love to see it.

On the other hand you could point out that to buy that Liverpool side now would cost twice what it cost them, if not even more - so that is the level of player we need to have to beat them now.

ok, lets say a better manager takes over tomorrow. what are the minimum signings you think are needed to go for the title next season?

Sell Pogba for approx 60m. Sign Sancho 90m, Bissouma 40m.

I think a top quality manager could win us the league title with those additions. With a top quality manager I could hope that we could challenge.

If the league was settled just on player quality then there's no point playing the league at all. Not many would have tipped West Ham to finish above Spurs this season!

You can go on and on about strength of squad but Liverpools "squad players" in their CL/PL winning seasons were players like Lovren, Shaqiri, Milner and Origi.

Liverpools bench in the Champions League final of 2019:

- Mignolet
    - Lovren
    - Milner
    - Gomez
    - Sturridge
    - Moreno
    - Lallana
    - Oxlade Chamberlain
    - Shaqiri
    - Brewster
    - Origi
    - Kelleher

That squad ran the 4 trillion pound squad of City all the way in the league, won the CL and then went to win the league themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Very misleading that considering Rodri, Cancelo, Sterling are first choice players...

It'd be like having Pogba, Maguire and Bruno on the bench and totting it up.

And btw, Pep is seen as favourite for the league every year. There's no "hoping to challenge"

I don't disagree with the need to have high standards or demands yet I have to note your use of 'misleading' when your own post about Ole having people 'fooled' lacked any context or consideration of the squad or team he took over.

I don't think Ole is a super manager but the foolish thing in rating his performance would be to view what he has done based on an idea of where United should be rather than where they were when he got the job and the changes that had to be made.

It is true that United bought players and spent a lot of money, but the squad after 18/19 was at a low base to start with and a range of players left since then (for example Lukaku, Sanchez, Herrera, Fellaini, Smalling, Young, Valencia all regulars under Jose).

United were not a high performing side adding depth to a strong squad with those signings, they were trying to fill massive gaps in the side.

how much would Liverpool's team cost to buy right now?

Liverpool recruited brilliantly for their title winning side - Mane, Salah got for less than half you'd pay for them now. TAA a youth product. Left back whose name is escaping me right now. stel, excellent buy. Fabinho a sign many United fans were SCREAMING for.

i wish United could pick up players for similar prices and see them impact the same way liverpool's signings have - United have been poor in the market. where we have bought relatively cheap buys they either have not worked out, or have been less than we would like.

bailly
    Lindelof
    James
    Only Lindelof can be pointed at as a good signing, and we are looking to replace him.

VDB and Fred at near 50 each, neither performing as 50m players.

So on the one hand you could, and should, point at Liverpool's sucess in the market at relatively good prices (augmented by VVD and Alison signings) and say United should be building a title winning side for the same type of money, and I'd love to see it.

On the other hand you could point out that to buy that Liverpool side now would cost twice what it cost them, if not even more - so that is the level of player we need to have to beat them now.

That's down to Klopp, not the scouts.

We were linked with Jimenez for 75m...Liverpool out of nowhere sign Jota for 40m and he turns out to be excellent. Just like Salah was bought for 35m and no one thought anything of it and look what he's done.

Put Steve Bruce in the Liverpool job with the same scouts and they wouldn't be winning leagues.

We were linked with Jimenez for 75m...Liverpool out of nowhere sign Jota for 40m and he turns out to be excellent. Just like Salah was bought for 35m and no one thought anything of it and look what he's done.

Put Steve Bruce in the Liverpool job with the same scouts and they wouldn't be winning leagues.

Are you saying Jota and Salah would be rubbish for Liverpool if Bruce was in charge? Or the scouts had nothing to do with picking Salah or Jota?

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    I don't disagree with the need to have high standards or demands yet I have to note the use of 'misleading' there when your own post about Ole having people 'fooled' lacked any context or consideration of the squad or team he took over.

I don't think Ole is a super manager but the foolish thing in rating his performance would be to view what he has done based on an idea of where United should be rather than where they were when he got the job and the changes that had to be made.

It is true that United bought players and spent a lot of money, but the squad after 18/19 was at a low base to start with and a range of players left since then (for example Lukaku, Sanchez, Herrera, Fellaini, Smalling, Young, Valencia all regulars under Jose).

United were not a high performing side adding depth to a strong squad with those signings, they were trying to fill massive gaps in the side.

Ole took over a squad that finished 2nd in the league a few months prior to taking over, then, without any time or players, went on a winning run and ended up with one of the highest points totals in the league in the period he was in charge that season.

So who's this klopp quality manager that's available?

Are you saying Jota and Salah would be rubbish for Liverpool if Bruce was in charge? Or the scouts had nothing to do with picking Salah or Jota?

Former.

No one remember Liverpool paying 40m for Mane and every man and his dog saying they overpaid?

The manager is the most important person at a football club. That's why Chelsea can finish 7th in one season and then win the league the next season.

So who's this klopp quality manager that's available?

Poch, Tuchel were available. No coincidence Chelsea improved by sacking Lampard and replaced him with a top manager.

There's others who could win us the league. They may not if they were given a chance, but I believe they could.

Ole, I don't think can win us a league.

Poch, Tuchel were available. No coincidence Chelsea improved by sacking Lampard and replaced him with a top manager.

There's others who could win us the league. They may not if they were given a chance, but I believe they could.

Poch lost the french league with a bottomless money squad, tuchel was dumped for poch. Changing managers every year does nobody any good. I don't know if ole is the guy but your arguments seem to be anything else is better and that Liverpool spent no money so we don't have to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

How long did it take Klopp to win a league?

And is this the same Poch who never won anything in 6 years at Spurs and is about to lose the Ligue 1 with PSG?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Liam O wrote: »
    There's no need to round up fees when they are already huge in order to make a point. Big bug bear of mine.

But hardly anyone knows the exact fees or how they're structured (especially when it comes to City), so pretty hard for anyone to be precise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

The French league isn't over. Unlikely PSG win it but they are a point behind with a game remaining.

I agree on the sentiments though, Poch has won nothing, but is being made out to be some kind of saviour if he took over at United. I felt when he took the PSG job it was an awful one to take considering how managers have been treated by them.

I don't think ole is the man long term but I don't really see anyone out there at the moment to take the job and suddenly have us as title contenders.

If the next step isn't taken by Christmas then Ole will be gone though.

Yeah because thats exactly what I said. You ask about the cost of the Liverpool squad and then come up with a rubbish straw-man response like that.

I never mentioned any about records or leagues, I asked you to explain how Ole fooled us all which you have failed to do or even attempt as yet and every post has proved the teams your talking about spent hundreds of millions more than us.

50 plus each on Kieta and Allison
    70 plus on van dijk
    40 plus on fabinhio
    Think mane and Salah where both about 40 each

That's off the top of my head. Liverpool ain't leicester city. Your talking out your hoop

And now how much has our squad cost?

So Liverpools spend there has cost around 290...same as what Ole has spent so far!

Problem being Liverpool won a league and CL with that, whereas we're in a Europa league.

TRC10 wrote: »
    How long did it take Klopp to win a league?

And is this the same Poch who never won anything in 6 years at Spurs and is about to lose the Ligue 1 with PSG?

Ah come on, don't try to make out like Klopp didn't do a good job right away.

1st season - Europa League final afer taking over a team that finished 7th.
    2nd - top 4
    3rd - Champions league final + top 4
    4th - Champions league win + top 4
    5th - Premier league win

You're really criticising Poch for not winning anything with Spurs? Did you see the team he took over and the one he transformed it into? Maybe he should have crashed out of the champions league in 3rd place in the groups every season just to win a ****ty europa league to tick that box..

Liverpool have had a stinker of a season, yet they're only 5 points off us...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement