Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer/Gossip 23/24 - [New Thread Available]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Neves is apparently available for £35m. I don’t think he’s defensively as good as Rice but I’d sooner choose him over spending £90m on Rice.

We should be all over this.. but history proves we won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Wijnaldum is off to Barca so watch Liverpool snatch him up with ease while we watch McFred next season. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wijnaldum is off to Barca so watch Liverpool snatch him up with ease while we watch McFred next season. :(

I don't think he suits what they would need - Bissouma is more so the player for them there, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I really fail to see what others do in Neves. He is not at the level required. Watched him again on Sunday and DVB had a better game. I've seen him play a decent amount too.

talking about buying a DM is complicated by not really being sure what United need/want from the player, and that United may have different ideas on the side moving forward depending on who we could buy, rather than having one specific type of player in mind. Essentially, i think the question boils down to who would be their partner.

If it is McT or Fred, they need to have elements of a deep lying playmaker. they need to be able to receive the ball under pressure/on the turn and quickly and accurately supply the ball into midfield and the forwards, with line braking passes in their locker. McT or Fred will share some of the defensive load and a lot of the running.

If it is Pogba/VDB then the defensive element of their game becomes more important. Pogba or VDB would need to work defensively (and Pogba may not and VDB may not have it in his game to be effective at it) but their main protection in front of the CBs would be this guy. Pogba/VDB would be more so the player the CBs would be looking for on the out ball. I really don't want to get into an argument with anyone at all on Pogba in a two, so I am not going to. I'm not going to argue whether it would work, I am merely assuming it is one of the possibilities in terms of selection and what that would mean in terms of the pairing.

I don't think, whoever is signed, would be 100% playing with one type of partner or the other - I think we could see Fred/McT partner a more defensive signing, particulary in big away matches, but I do think the type of DM signing would be dictated by the type/player Ole would mostly want to pair them with - in his ideal first choice 11.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

There is the scenario that United sign a Sancho level player then Bruno goes back to midfield like he does with Portugal.

I don't get a sense from Ole that he is a coach tied to a system rather he is a manager who is selecting a system to provide a platform for his players. Bruno is needed more in an attack role right now as United are short in that position.

Like Mitch in his post, I am not looking at getting into an argument about Fred or Pogba so they are included in below team just as an example, the key part is the 'Sancho' level signing goes to the forward line and Bruno into midfield.

Keeper

Back 4

Bruno - Fred - Pogba

Sancho - Cavani - Rashford

A system like that then allows for Greenwood and Martial to be put into the forward line as cover and the issue of who replaces Bruno as a forward is no longer a concern.

DvB's signing then makes sense as he is coming into the midfield for Bruno or Pogba and not a No 10 instead of Bruno. The second part of McFred can go into midfield on a day it is needed, as it does now.

Lingard and Mata phased out then makes sense as they don't fit into that midfield or forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

DM_7 wrote: »
    There is the scenario that United sign a Sancho level player then Bruno goes back to midfield like he does with Portugal.

I don't get a sense from Ole that he is a coach tied to a system rather he is a manager who is selecting a system to provide a platform for his players. Bruno is needed more in an attack role right now as United are short in that position.

If that's what his eventual plan is, then he could have done that already by playing Bruno in a 2 and either have Pogba or DVB more forward considering Pogba and DVB are not good enough in a two defensively.

I think Ole does prefer 4-2-3-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

"Liam wrote:
    Martial scoring a few meaningless goals when games are won is not how you win leagues. That's someone getting a goal when it's the 80th minute in a close game that could go either way. Martial has given up by then and Rashford and Greenwood have been inconsistent for a while though Rashford has been shunted around and Greenwood is 19.

The random potshots at Martial undermine some of the good points your making.

Pretty unfair to criticize his best season where most of his goals were meaningful/match winners. We weren't exactly lighting up the League in 19/20 and winning every game 4-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Like Mitch in his post, I am not looking at getting into an argument about Fred or Pogba so they are included in below team just as an example, the key part is the 'Sancho' level signing goes to the forward line and Bruno into midfield.

Keeper

Back 4

Bruno - Fred - Pogba

A system like that then allows for Greenwood and Martial to be put into the forward line as cover and the issue of who replaces Bruno as a forward is no longer a concern.

DvB's signing then makes sense as he is coming into the midfield for Bruno or Pogba and not a No 10 instead of Bruno. The second part of McFred can go into midfield on a day it is needed, as it does now.

Lingard and Mata phased out then makes sense as they don't fit into that midfield or forward line.

I'd be surprised and a little concerned if the end goal is a midfield of Bruno - Fred - Pogba.

I think we already have the personnel to have tried this by now - but I don't remember Ole doing it.
    Pogba's lack of work ethic would also have to raise questions about this trio.

And withdrawing Bruno from his AM position brings it's own setbacks in the attacking sense.

Cavani will only start a certain number of games.

Does a front three of Sancho - Martial - Rashford have enough to hurt many teams?
    I honestly haven't seen enough of Sancho to say one way or another. Martial is a big question mark.

But I much prefer the idea of Bruno operating closer to the opposition goal.

• Advertisement

Pussyhands wrote: »
    If that's what his eventual plan is, then he could have done that already by playing Bruno in a 2 and either have Pogba or DVB more forward considering Pogba and DVB are not good enough in a two defensively.

I think Ole does prefer 4-2-3-1.

Well.... No.

You are talking about playing Bruno (and vdb or Pogba) as 8s, in a three man midfield rather than 2 CMs as 6s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Keeper

Back 4

Bruno - Fred - Pogba

I'm not quite sure I see a 'Sancho' level signing enabling us to move Bruno into a deeper position. His numbers this season really are outstanding. A quick scan and I think the only times a United player has had higher goal involvement numbers (goals + assists) in the PL era are the 40+ goal scoring seasons of Ronaldo and RVN. I just don't see how you can take a player with those numbers and move them further away from the box. Or if you do, that 'Sancho' level signing needs to be really really special.

I do agree that that his current positon in the 4-2-3-1 setup that Ole has favoured creates problems elsewhere though.

I'm kind of curious if Ole would consider doing nearly the opposite of moving him back into a 3 and instead utilise him as a false 9,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Romero.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Romero.
    Both Romero and Grant I'd say. Heaton, DDG or Henderson and one of the youth keepers would be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Both Romero and Grant I'd say. Heaton, DDG or Henderson and one of the youth keepers would be enough.

My guess there was some sort of agreement made with DdG last summer that he could leave this year. Providing a decent bid comes in for him.

With DdG, Romero, Grant and Joel Pereira all set to leave, it frees up 400k+ a week in wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

All the top teams have keepers that are better or at least equal to De Gea, where could he possibly go?

xtal191 wrote: »
    All the top teams have keepers that are better or at least equal to De Gea, where could he possibly go?

Spurs don't.

Whether they could ever reach a pay agreement that works for Dave is another question.

But wouldn't Kane to Utd - with DDG in part exchange - be fantastic?
    Well, we can always dream :pac:

Maguire didn't train today so that's basically him 100% out. It's a serious blow and weakens us significantly. Who do we go with - Bailly of Axel? I'm not confident in either. I'd prob lean towards Axel as it allows Lindelof to play on the right side.

Really hope we do ourselves justice tomorrow night and produce a performance. Villareal are a decent side but they have nowhere near the quality we do.

PSG don't.
    Juventus don't, though they are probaby going to get the kid off Milan.

paulbok wrote: »

My guess there was some sort of agreement made with DdG last summer that he could leave this year. Providing a decent bid comes in for him.

With DdG, Romero, Grant and Joel Pereira all set to leave, it frees up 400k+ a week in wages.

Don't see why there would have been such an agreement with DDG last summer, its not like he was on the market or clubs were trying prise him away.

• Advertisement

Maguire didn't train today so that's basically him 100% out. It's a serious blow and weakens us significantly. Who do we go with - Bailly of Axel? I'm not confident in either. I'd prob lean towards Axel as it allows Lindelof to play on the right side.

Really hope we do ourselves justice tomorrow night and produce a performance. Villareal are a decent side but they have nowhere near the quality we do.

PSG away was the last "big" European game I can remember us playing without Maguire.

Ole opted for 3 CBs that night: Lindelof, Axel and Shaw. And played Telles LWB.
    I know it's a while since we've seen that formation. But we've looked very open defensively without Maguire in recent games.

If it's the normal 4 at the back, I'd prefer Lindelof and Tuanzebe.

we know he didn't take part in the bit the media were there to watch, but i would have thought there would be a larger part of the session the media would not get to see (as there is for all other euro games).

Maybe the media were there for it all, dunno.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    PSG away was the last "big" European game I can remember us playing without Maguire.

I know it's a while since we've seen that formation. But we've looked very open defensively without Maguire in recent games.

if we did....

Keeper, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Shaw, Telles, AWB as the back 5. Would assume Rashford and Bruno start, so that is two of the remaining 5.

McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Cavani, Greenwood for the remaining 3 positions.

Could see it being McT and Fred with Bruno behind Rashford and Cavani. Would worry about the ball progression out of defennce to the forwards if were were to do that.

I'd be very surprised to see us move to that formation. I just think we lose too much in the area of the pitch where we have a significant advantage.

As Mitch pointed out, maybe I'm wrong and the media were removed before Maguire joined in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

if we did....

Keeper, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Shaw, Telles, AWB as the back 5. Would assume Rashford and Bruno start, so that is two of the remaining 5.

McTominay, Fred, Pogba, Cavani, Greenwood for the remaining 3 positions.

Could see it being McT and Fred with Bruno behind Rashford and Cavani. Would worry about the ball progression out of defennce to the forwards if were were to do that.

I know Maguire's out but we needn't be a man down from the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I know Maguire's out but we needn't be a man down from the start

Think you've made a fool of yourself there, Dave.

Not sure if that's a failure to see the previous post is outlining a team consisting of 11 players or its some super veiled dig at the likes of Pogba by saying starting with him is like starting with a man down.

I'd be very surprised to see us move to that formation. I just think we lose too much in the area of the pitch where we have a significant advantage.

As Mitch pointed out, maybe I'm wrong and the media were removed before Maguire joined in.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. Would personally prefer to see us stick with the 4-2-3-1
    And Villareal are not PSG level after all.

But Ole has produced some surprising selections in the past and has been quite cautious in games where there is a lot at stake.

The goals we conceded in the last few games without Maguire may make him rethink the defensive options (assuming Harry doesn't play).

I hope we don’t go with 3 at the back, especially as we’ve not played it in ages and the last time we did Leipzig tore us apart.

I think Tuanzebe should partner Lindelof, it allows both to play on their preferred sides and I think they’re more comfortable with eachother than Lindelof and Bailly are.

I’ll tell you though, I am already starting to feel the nerves for tomorrow. I just hope they show up and don’t underestimate Villarreal. This team and Ole will massively benefit from bringing home the trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I'd say Olé will put Maguire on for the last 90 seconds of play if we are winning. Just so he can say he actually played in the final. Fingers crossed that is the case.

• Advertisement

I fancy us to win comfortably tomorrow. Villareal are an average side.

Cavani and Greenwood in great form and we're always good for a penalty. I think we score 3 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

wonder will they try to pick up any free transfers? from googling:

Hakan Calhanoglu (AC Milan): Turkey international Calhanoglu is reportedly keen to stay at AC Milan, although he has offers on the table from Manchester United and two other Serie A clubs.

Florian Thauvin (Marseille)

Memphis Depay (Lyon)

Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)

Julian Draxler (PSG)

Hakan Calhanoglu (AC Milan): Turkey international Calhanoglu is reportedly keen to stay at AC Milan, although he has offers on the table from Manchester United and two other Serie A clubs.

Memphis Depay (Lyon)

Julian Draxler (PSG)

How about Wijnaldum? :)

Depay will go to Barca, Draxler will be signing a new contract I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Cavani and Greenwood in great form and we're always good for a penalty. I think we score 3 goals.

We'll need to be 100% switched on.

Emery won this competition 3 years on the bounce, he knows how to get the job done so that is one area they have an edge over us.

Man for man we're a better side, but our defence has been like Swiss cheese over the last month, if we can't keep it tight at the back we're in trouble.

Hopefully this time tomorrow we're watching Ole lift his first trophy.

Glazers Out!

Memphis Depay (Lyon)

Julian Draxler (PSG)

Thauvin is off to Mexico. Depay looking likely off to Barca, think Draxler might have signed a new contract recently? Swear I saw Romano say it. Wouldn’t be against Ramos tho, struggling with injury this season but could be a shrewd pick up like Thiago Silva at Chelsea.

think Madrid will lose either Ramos or Varane.

PSG is a possibility but that will depend on where donnaruma ends up. juve most likely i suppose

dont know if pau torres is any good. if he is, utd should try to send bailly back + 20m.

Yep, start Bailly tomorrow and if Pau Torres outperforms him in a Villareal victory then we look at the swap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Think you've made a fool of yourself there, Dave.

I sure did! Back 5 didn't include the keeper - I am ashamed!

Anyone watching The United Way on Sky 1?
    Big nostalgia trip going way back through the years.

Anyone watching The United Way on Sky 1?
    Big nostalgia trip going way back through the years.

Watched it last night.
    Very enjoyable nostalgia indeed.

Eric brings great atmosphere too as the narrator.

Watched it last night.
    Very enjoyable nostalgia indeed.

Eric brings great atmosphere too as the narrator.

Seagulls and Trawlers, what a man

Seagulls and Trawlers, what a man

The reaction of all the journalists in the room was priceless

They were all WTAF? And keeling over with laughter!

Eric is a one off.
    The stars definitely aligned to bring him and Fergie together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

PSG is a possibility but that will depend on where donnaruma ends up. juve most likely i suppose

I don't think a goalkeeper will be high on the list for PSG, they also renewed Navas contract recently and he's arguably better than De Gea.

Aren't Juve broke?

De Gea is a high risk signing fro anyone, he's 31 this year, clearly declining and gonna cost a fortune in wages. Dunno what kinda fee UTD would be looking for either. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see many teams being interested in him

I agree, can see us winning by a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

The reaction of all the journalists in the room was priceless

They were all WTAF? And keeling over with laughter!

Eric is a one off.
    The stars definitely aligned to bring him and Fergie together

That, and "My only regret is that I didn't kick him harder" had me in tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭bassy

Sad to say but what a great time for city to dominate champs league for the next 3-4 yrs with Spanish clubs Italian and German all in decline and pep knows this ;)

There first one should be v Chelsea next weekend :(

Looking forward to tonight. Feels like a pivotal moment for Ole. Win and there could be real momentum behind his current tenure. Lose and those questions off his pedigree will get louder and louder.

I'm curious to see how he approaches tonight just as much as I am looking forward to the actual game.

Does he start with the McFred double pivot?

Does he risk Maguire if that's an option?

Does Bailly get the nod or is he destined to never partner Lindelof?

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Looking forward to tonight. Feels like a pivotal moment for Ole. Win and there could be real momentum behind his current tenure. Lose and those questions off his pedigree will get louder and louder.

I'm curious to see how he approaches tonight just as much as I am looking forward to the actual game.

Does he start with the McFred double pivot?

Does he risk Maguire if that's an option?

Does Bailly get the nod or is he destined to never partner Lindelof?

DDG

AWB - Bailly - Lindelof - Shaw

McTom - Fred

Rashford - Bruno - Pogba

Cavani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

If Maguire cant play, I want Axel to partner Lindeloff.

Bailly hasnt looked good in recent weeks. His passing has been awful and appears off the pace.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement