Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Bar the penalty call what did he get wrong?

Barrett should have gone for a second yellow. The tipp player that got booked for a hurley to the head should have gone. The penalty at the end not given.

They are huge decisions. But as a Clare fan I'm biased so I'd be curious what the neutrals think of those incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

HAHA.

Christ - Tipp were well capable of beating Clare without the penalty.

We'll never know will we.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭4Ad

Tipp fully deserved to win..ref made some poor decisions..
    I'm a Clare man so a bit biased !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If it was me ide be giving a free out. I can only guess at what he was thinking

Daly, Tyrrell, Anna Geary saying it should be a Clare penalty on RTE so you seem to be in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

The ref needs to use his linesmen and umpires.

He bursted in and gave a penalty without any consultation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Barrett should have gone for a second yellow. The tipp player that got booked for a hurley to the head should have gone. The penalty at the end not given.

They are huge decisions. But as a Clare fan I'm biased so I'd be curious what the neutrals think of those incidents.

First yellow Barrett got was not a yellow,that Hurley to the head was a genuine attempt to win the ball and the penalty at the end,both players were grappling with each other

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭supernova5

never seen one team get shafted as badly by a bastard referee in my whole life watching hurling, that's all of 52 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

"if a player with a goal-scoring opportunity either inside the 20-metre line or the semi-circular arc that extends from the 20 metre line is pulled down, tripped, or struck with a hurley in a careless manner then a penalty shall be awarded and the offender will be yellow-carded and sent to the sin-bin for 10 minutes."

its fair to say that Morris was tripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Daly, Tyrrell, Anna Geary saying it should be a Clare penalty on RTE so you seem to be in the minority.

Wow, the Clareman, the Kilkenny man and the Cork woman are against Tipperary who have no representation on the panel.

Colour me shocked! :eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

timple23 wrote: »
    "if a player with a goal-scoring opportunity either inside the 20-metre line or the semi-circular arc that extends from the 20 metre line is pulled down, tripped, or struck with a hurley in a careless manner then a penalty shall be awarded and the offender will be yellow-carded and sent to the sin-bin for 10 minutes."

No 1 is denying the fact that he was tripped, I would question that it was "a goal-scoring opportunity", if that was a goal scoring opportunity

• Advertisement

supernova5 wrote: »
    never seen one team get shafted as badly by a bastard referee in my whole life watching hurling, that's all of 52 years

Give over, Tipp got shafted worse 2 years ago vs Wexford in an All Ireland Semi Final and managed to win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

That's a clear cut penalty at the end, struggling to see a Clare foul there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭I see sheep

timple23 wrote: »

What are you on about, read the first 8 words again yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭caddy16

First yellow Barrett got was not a yellow,that Hurley to the head was a genuine attempt to win the ball and the penalty at the end,both players were grappling with each other

As a Clare man I agree with you to the most part. Barretts 1st yellow was harsh but that doesn't matter if the 2nd was fairly clear cut. Penalty at the end was probably a penalty but agreed both were at it, not clear cut.

It is the decision of the Referee as to whether it is a goal-scoring opportunity or not, but it must be inside the 20m line or the semi-circular arc.
    Key factors the referee should consider.
    • Where the foul occurred?
    • How many defenders are between the attaching player and the goals?
    • Could another defender make a tackle before reaching the goals?
    • How many players are in the area in front of the goals?

https://www.gaa.ie/news/referees-ready-to-implement-new-playing-rules/

The ref got that completely wrong, no other way about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭SunnySundays

Neutral in terms of the teams but have often struggled with James Owens' decision making!!

Barrett should have got a second yellow but first one is probably debatable.

The second penalty decision was in my opinion a 50/50 call but think there was a much stronger case for a penalty there than the one given.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

As a Tipp man I couldn’t have any gripes if a penalty was given against Heffernan at the end.

Don’t think Barrett deserved to go. Correct me if I’m wrong but that was his first foul since the yellow was given. If the same tackle was made a bit closer in them possibly but it was around midfield I think?

The penalty rule went for Tipp today but no doubt it could go against Tipp in the next couple of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭big_drive

Clare got an awful deal off ref there today. And that's from a Cork man with no great love of Clare
    They were as close to robbed as you'll see

Crazy if calls like that are given later in championship

Wow, the Clareman, the Kilkenny man and the Cork woman are against Tipperary who have no representation on the panel.

Colour me shocked! :eek::eek::eek:

They're all fair analysts.

Ye got a penalty ye shouldn't have got. 10 min extra man. Barrett should have had a second yellow.

Shanagher should have a penalty.

Very jammy. Limerick will beat ye easily in the final, ye might have been better off in the qualifiers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Barret's yellow was comical and I actually think it was mistaken idendity, he suggested it was for consistent fouling and it was the first free he had given away.

Not sure which Tipp player you are reffering to but I cant imagine it was any worse to the hurley to the head on Alan Flynn.

I thought it was a penalty at the end alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I must arrange a Trip to specsavers for u....

Give over, Tipp got shafted worse 2 years ago vs Wexford in an All Ireland Semi Final and managed to win.

Tipp who shafted Laois with all their diving in the quarters that year. Paudie Maher is meant to be this big man and he rolling around like a baby for every little contact. Got Aaron Dunphy sent off.

Ye got a penalty ye shouldn't have got. 10 min extra man. Barrett should have had a second yellow.

Very jammy. Limerick will beat ye easily in the final, ye might have been better off in the qualifiers.

100%, pure poxed.

I really just hope that we dont embarrass ourselves in the final if we can keep it under 10 pts it will be a great result for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I must arrange a Trip to specsavers for u....

Thanks,pm me with the details

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭BQQ

The rule has to go ( or at least be changed )
    Even if there wasn’t the huge grey area of what constitutes a goal scoring opportunity, the punishment is too severe
    A sin bin AND a penalty just kills the game stone dead
    One foul and it’s game over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Tipp who shafted Laois with all their diving in the quarters that year. Paudie Maher is meant to be this big man and he rolling around like a baby for every little contact. Got Aaron Dunphy sent off.

Post of the year, yeah tipp would have struggled to beat laois with 15 men. Great analysis.

First yellow for Barrett was very soft.
    Penalty at the end both of them in it.

If a team is any good they can overcome these things. Not everything goes exactly according to plan during a game. I've already brought up Tipp v Wexford from 2 years ago where there were 3 goals not given to Tipp and a Wexford goal which shouldn't have stood - along with Tipp having to win with 14 men for 20 minutes being 6 points behind.

Sure Tipp got the rub of the green with some decisions but a half decent team there would have dug in for the 10 minutes and had another go after the water break. Rather than totally lose the head.

Yeah the All Ireland champions of 2019 really shafted Laois!?!

Take a walk it might do you some good, you've lost any sense of perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Coneygree

Lohan looks like he's ready to put on the guard less red helmet and kill a few lads on the pitch and he might start with the RTE interviewer.

BQQ wrote: »
    Even if there wasn’t the huge grey area of what constitutes a goal scoring opportunity, the punishment is too severe

The rule itself is fine, there was a problem with cynical fouling coming into the game, a few goals last night wouldn't have happened if the rule wasn't in place. The problem is with the interpretation of what is a "goal scoring opportunity"

• Advertisement

Well the Tipp sissies diving ruined a decent game. Gym built sissies. No John Doyle's in Tipp these days :D

haha laois in a decent hurling game.

newhouse87 wrote: »
    haha laois in a decent hurling game.

They were level with ye at the sending off. Go listen to the Two Johnnies and celebrate your great victory :D

A Laois man questioning the mettle of Tipperary, I have literally seen it all now, have a lie down for yourself like a good young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Bar the penalty call what did he get wrong?

Clare should have got a blatant penalty as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭4Ad

BQQ wrote: »

Not always game over but it did today !!

Pogue eile wrote: »
    A Laois man questioning the mettle of Tipperary, I have literally seen it all now, have a lie down for yourself like a good young lad.

Ye are soft. We don't have the talent. Ye had the best in the country over the last 10 years and can't put 2 back to back???? Soft.

They were level with ye at the sending off. Go listen to the Two Johnnies and celebrate your great victory :D

Somebody from the Queens county shouldn't be commenting on hurling. Have a nice evening. Hope the leaving cert went good for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Only way Tipp were going to win. Yet another boring, pathetic game from the Munster championship. Bar a few decent matches, it's got to be the least entertaining comp going.

Tipp absolutely were handed that "win". Nobody's gonna fear them.

Bit harsh, 50/50 game, twas definitely a goal opportunity and it was a stupid tackle but it was a very harsh decision against Clare. Clare didn't didn't respond well though and ran out of steam towards the end.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Brian017

This thread is a barrell of laughs this weekend. KK and Limerick are thugs. Cork, Wexford and Tipp are a bunch of divers. Eoin Murphy has a special kind of hurl that bends. Do you lads like anyone at all? :pac:

Bit harsh, 50/50 game, twas definitely a goal opportunity and it was a stupid tackle but it was a very harsh decision against Clare. Clare didn't didn't respond well though and ran out of steam towards the end.

Hes from Kilkenny, what do you expect. At least tipp aren't relying on a 33 year old to still win them games,

• Advertisement

Brian017 wrote: »
    This thread is a barrell of laughs this weekend. KK and Limerick are thugs. Cork, Wexford and Tipp are a bunch of divers. Eoin Murphy has a special kind of hurl that bends. Do you lads like anyone at all? :pac:

Championship is always silly season in here :D

Somebody from the Queens county shouldn't be commenting on hurling. Have a nice evening. Hope the leaving cert went good for you.

Do you know why we were called that? We had to be colonised for the trouble we gave the English. And it was a failure. I'll give you a history lesson, or any other you want.

Premier county. Ha ha! Your the garsun here 87. I'd school you.

Hes from Kilkenny, what do you expect. At least tipp aren't relying on a 33 year old to still win them games,

No, just REFEREEES!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Ennis Road end has been kind to Tipp in the last few years, location for the ghost aussie gleeson own goal too.

First yellow for Barrett was very soft.
    Penalty at the end both of them in it.

Second yellow for Barrett would have been harsh

The penalty claim Clare had was definitely a penalty... Heffernan made no attempt to win ball... he had his arms wrapped around Clare forward who was attempting to win the ball....

There wouldn’t be half the furore about that call for a clare penalty if he had not given Tipp the most stupidest penalty decision ever awarded

Anyways John Kiely and Limerick will be delighted... as I think they absolutely love playing Tipp...

Do you know why we were called that? We had to be colonised for the trouble we gave the English. And it was a failure. I'll give you a history lesson, or any other you want.

And seeing that you are a historain, do you know where the name 'Premier county' came from???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I love the grief that the RTE panel get. "He's useless, she's useless, they are all useless" until it suits

Seamus Callanan ??

Garsún, you mean. You forgot the fada ha. You probably know your cockney slang though.

• Advertisement

Seamus Callanan ??

Have a look at % scored of teams totals, Reid versus Callanan and come back to me.

Advertisement