Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Good fun watching Limerick throw around Tipp like rag dolls in the Munster final.

God be with the days Tipp had men, John Doyle, Theo English, Len Gaynor, John Leahy etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Good fun watching Limerick throw around Tipp like rag dolls in the Munster final.

God be with the days Tipp had men, John Doyle, Theo English, Len Gaynor, John Leahy etc

Unlike laois who never had men. Bunch of queens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Clareman wrote: »
    The rule itself is fine, there was a problem with cynical fouling coming into the game, a few goals last night wouldn't have happened if the rule wasn't in place. The problem is with the interpretation of what is a "goal scoring opportunity"

I think anything left to that level of interpretation is dodgy. If they think that goal scoring opportunities happen outside the box just make the box bigger on all sides and forget the interpretation bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

I think ye all need to calm down now and watch Crocodile Dundee 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Clare will be a dangerous outfit in the qualifiers.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

newhouse87 wrote: »
    Unlike laois who never had men. Bunch of queens.

That could be construed as homophobic!

You don't even know the history. Paudie Sissy Maher. With the gym chest but no sliotars!

Laois a great dual county for its size, but you have very little knowledge of anything.

Give over, Tipp got shafted worse 2 years ago vs Wexford in an All Ireland Semi Final and managed to win.

That's it, thems the brakes, clare put the head down and sulked for 10 minutes. You just have to get on with it and give it everything.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Garsún, you mean. You forgot the fada ha. You probably know your cockney slang though.

I know where the fada is, níor chuir mé isteach mar tá mé ag caint le babóg as Tipp.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clare will be a dangerous outfit in the qualifiers.

Clare, Waterford, Galway and Wexford, so mix.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    And seeing that you are a historain, do you know where the name 'Premier county' came from???

The men of the 1840s and early 1900s are not what ye have today, alas.

• Advertisement

One thing we learned from today is that limerick will have it handy on the munster final. Still miles ahead of everyone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

No, just REFEREEES!!

;-)

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

I never had any problem with Tipp until 2016.

That Bubbles Dwyer's post speech etc. He came across as a thick c..

Liam Sheedy. Absolute shaper. All the talent and no back to back.

Diving policy 2019.

That's when I turned against present day Tipp hurling.

Never a problem before that. Though they beat Galway by sneakily getting Tony Keady banned in 1989.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Just wanted to point out that the wording of the rule means that the ref can't/shouldn't take advice from his team about whether it's a goal scoring opportunity or not, the rule states "It is the decision of the Referee as to whether it is a goal-scoring opportunity or not"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Was there not already rules in football for cynical play. Why did they not just import those over instead of reinventing them

Was there not already rules in football for cynical play. Why did they not just import those over instead of reinventing them

Because that would involve admitting that football got something right and was better (in same way) than hurling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Have a look at % scored of teams totals, Reid versus Callanan and come back to me.

I’ll do that especially for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Clareman wrote: »
    Just wanted to point out that the wording of the rule means that the ref can't/shouldn't take advice from his team about whether it's a goal scoring opportunity or not, the rule states "It is the decision of the Referee as to whether it is a goal-scoring opportunity or not"

Don't think the wording you've provided sustains your interpretation, necessarily.

The wording you've given there says neither 'sole decision' (which is your assumption) nor 'final decision' (which makes more common sense).

For what reason would the rule-makers deny him the right to factor in/out the input of his team ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One of Clare or Cork will receive a bye to round 2

One of Wexford or Galway will receive a bye to Round 2

Round 1
    Bowl 1 will be the winner of Laois/Antrim and Wexford or Galway
    Vs
    Bowl 2- Waterford and Clare or Cork

Round 2 will contain the 2 Round 1 winners and then 2 teams that got the byes

Fairly simple

Dublin/Kilkenny and Tipperary/Limerick guaranteed at least a QF

Don't think the wording you've provided sustains your interpretation, necessarily.

The wording you've given there says neither 'sole decision' (which is your assumption) nor 'final decision' (which makes more common sense).

For what reason would the rule-makers deny him the right to factor in/out the input of his team ?

Because this is the GAA, for years it was against the rules of an umpire to call the refs attention to anything

• Advertisement

Have a look at % scored of teams totals, Reid versus Callanan and come back to me.

TJ does so much more than score. Alan Murphy was very good when taking free's in the league, so IMO the % stats mean little to nothing. TJ can not score & still be the most impactful player on the pitch. The same can not be said of SC. SC is an amazing talent but he's no TJ, or Canning. Still one of the greats so no point in comparing players of their caliber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Worst refereeing decision (and overall worst refereeing performance, how is Barrett stop on the field?) I've ever seen, and that's not for a want of competition.

Worst of it is that is a good new rule but this will be serious ammunition for getting rid of it on grounds that a goal scoring opportunity is too open to interpretation (I mean, technically every time you have the ball outside your own 45 is a goal scoring opportunity).

Anyway it ruined this match and Owens shouldn't still be an inter county referee tomorrow. But he will be.

You obviously didn't watch Sean Cleeres performance in the 2019 semi, wexford v tipp.

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    TJ does so much more than score. Alan Murphy was very good when taking free's in the league, so IMO the % stats mean little to nothing. TJ can not score & still be the most impactful player on the pitch. The same can not be said of SC. SC is an amazing talent but he's no TJ, or Canning. Still one of the greats so no point in comparing players of their caliber.

You proved his point, Kilkenny are a 1 man band, if tj is gone/injured, Kilkenny are screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    You obviously didn't watch Sean Cleeres performance in the 2019 semi, wexford v tipp.
    for how poor or not Cleere was it was good to finally see Paudie Maher get penalised in that game for the barging nonsense he's got away with the past part of a decade, his warrior status was hardly enhanced in the game prior with his dive to get Aaron Dunphy of Laois sent off.

You proved his point, Kilkenny are a 1 man band, if tj is gone/injured, Kilkenny are screwed.

15 scorer's yest & they're a one man band. Lol. Sure.

Most kilkenny folk would agree, if tj was to get injured, thats it for Kilkennys season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭me89

It's as if Eoin Cody didn't score 1-5

Most kilkenny folk would agree, if tj was to get injured, thats it for Kilkennys season.

Of course he's crucial. But they're not the one man squad that they were in the previous season or two.

for how poor or not Cleere was it was good to finally see Paudie Maher get penalised in that game for the barging nonsense he's got away with the past part of a decade, his warrior status was hardly enhanced in the game prior with his dive to get Aaron Dunphy of Laois sent off.

Im sure paudie cares about your opinion of his "warrior status". The fact he is mentioned so often by other county's supporters means he is doing something very right. Even in Jackie Tyrells book, he mentioned paudie as being one of the lads who would always stand up to Kilkenny, so i will take Tyrrells opinion over yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭conor05

There could be an All Ireland in Kilkenny this year yet.

That game yesterday will have battle hardened the new young lads like Eoin Cody, Tommy Walsh and Darragh Corcoran.

No full back line would like to face TJ Reid and Eoin Cody if then hit that form everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

conor05 wrote: »

That game yesterday will have battle hardened the new young lads like Eoin Cody, Tommy Walsh and Darragh Corcoran.

No full back line would like to face TJ Reid and Eoin Cody if then hit that form everyday.

Yeah, the draw is ideal for them. They get to play maybe teams 8 & 9 from the top 9 to get to an AI semi final. Will be a Kilkenny v Limerick final barring some major upsets. Would expect Kilkenny to win that as Limerick appear to have disimproved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

For those who are categorically saying that Owen's got it wrong, can you explain to me why McCarthy did what he did, he obviously thought it was a goal chance or else he is a complete liability.

The rule is wrong imo not Owen's, penalty and yellow card more than enough punishment, sin bin is complete overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

conor05 wrote: »

Kilkenny will face much better attacks than Wexford yesterday. I think defensively they lack a lot of pace. They will be competitive but hard to see them winning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

For those who are categorically saying that Owen's got it wrong, can you explain to me why McCarthy did what he did, he obviously thought it was a goal chance or else he is a complete liability.

The rule is wrong imo not Owen's, penalty and yellow card more than enough punishment, sin bin is complete overkill.

I’d say the last thing on his mind there was that he was stopping a goal chance. It came at a period where he had just won a really good ball but then lost it again and just chased down the line and missed the ball a fraction off once the Tipp lad was smart to just touch the ball on knowing the challenge was coming. Certain yellow and a free.

Other than that I think we(clare) only have ourselves to blame really. Could have easily won that match with a bit more composure and tactical knowledge. Think sheedy won the managerial battle really with the floating half forward line getting acres of space and reducing clares space

washman3 wrote: »

1)Reading some of your posts here, there seems to be a lot of things you don't get.!!!

2) Horgan has been a brilliant ambassador for Cork hurling and indeed the GAA.

3) He was well below par last night both from play and free but he has set such a high standard over the years that even with the slightest dip in a performance he is adjudged to be over-rated.

4) One poster actually suggested he cost Cork the game last night which is mind-boggling. Any single player could be picked out using that logic. Why not single out Peter Casey's or Kyle Hayes's markers.

5) Are we now suddenly now not allowed to comment on a players personality.

6) I guarantee you by 6pm today there will be plenty people on here commenting on Davy Fitz's personality.

1) No need for personalised abuse. If you have something relevant to my post to say then just say it.

2) I never questioned this (or agreed with it either). I offered no opinion on this. Not sure why you bring it up.

3) See point 2.

4) You should take that up with the relevant poster.

5) Not sure about the "not being allowed". That decision is not in my gift. But I would stand by questioning the "fierce nice fella off the pitch" stuff. It is not the function of inter-County player to impress us with their personalities. That's a private matter.

6) Doesn't mean it's right. The man you mention has been traduced and vilified here by spiteful vindictive scum. But that's wrong too.

• Advertisement

He mistimed his play on the ball and because of the slippy conditions he took the player out of it, the same type of "tackle" was happening all over the pitch.

The rule for me is fine and is needed, as I said a lot of the goals scored last night wouldn't have been scored last night if it wasn't for it, the issue is the interpretation of the rule, last week against Waterford we were lucky that the interpretation was that we had a goal scoring opportunity, today I don't think anyone thought it was a goal scoring opportunity, yes the guy had the ball in space but he was 31 meters from goal with a lot of players covering.

Another thing, fair enough if that was the interpretation of the rule, but in the first half Cleary could have been binned for a more obvious goal chance, earlier in the second half Kelly was fouled with less players around him in a similar position.

If the rule was changed to something like "an attacking player with a goal-scoring opportunity within 1 play of the ball", in other words that the next play on the ball the forward would have would be for goal that would get rid of a lot of the confusion, for the Tipp lad to score a goal from where he was he'd have to solo the ball a couple of times or pick out a team mate.

Im sure paudie cares about your opinion of his "warrior status". The fact he is mentioned so often by other county's supporters means he is doing something very right. Even in Jackie Tyrells book, he mentioned paudie as being one of the lads who would always stand up to Kilkenny, so i will take Tyrrells opinion over yours.

'Doing something very right...'

:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzAIbUnhWw

Does anyone actually click on links like this? Why not just use words if you've something to say?

'Doing something very right...'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzAIbUnhWw

Thanks for proving my point, the fact that somebody made a tribute video of him says it all. Had forgotten Richie power ran up to the ref and tried to get him sent off. Cheers for posting.

Worthy of mention today that Jason Forde put a sideline over the bar, had to retake it, and scored again. If certain other players did that a big deal would be made of it.

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    Does anyone actually click on links like this? Why not just use words if you've something to say?

Because I'd probably get carded for what I'd like to say, but the video speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Thanks for proving my point, the fact that somebody made a tribute video of him says it all. Had forgotten Richie power ran up to the ref and tried to get him sent off. Cheers for posting.

Truth is paudie should have been sent off 3 times that day..there would have been a lot more discussion about his performance if lar hadn't spent the day chasing Tommy Walsh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Because I'd probably get carded for what I'd like to say, but the video speaks for itself.

Even a temporary ban if it's a goal scoring post

Not if your use of language is sufficiently skilful. But when the hurling championship is on it does seem hard to keep hatred and anger at bay I suppose. It's like the south's equivalent of the marching season.

Thanks for proving my point, the fact that somebody made a tribute video of him says it all.

Tribute
    video. Love is blind, indeed.
    Had forgotten Richie power ran up to the ref and tried to get him sent off.

I have another one of Eoin Kelly trying to do the very same thing. When it was nothing to do with him at all.

In fairness every county loves their dirty wing back, Liam Doyle still gets pints bought for him (when the pubs open) down here, Tommy Walsh will always be a legend, , but like the backrow in rugby, you know you're doing your job properly when the opposition think you're a dirty ****er. Richie McCaw was the best example of this in any sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Clare supporters rightly aggrieved over that decision today ,whether it cost them the game we will never know but it was a bad decision . Hurling has a huge issue with refereeing and there is no appetite to deal with it . It's impossible to expect referees to get all decisions correct but we all do when it's our team/county involved .It's the inconsistency and different application of the rules that drives people crazy . When a ref is 40 yards behind a player running at goal being tackled its difficult to determine if it's a free in or out . David Reidy ran at the Tipp defence today and got a free which could have been a free out as it looked like Reidy took a lot of steps but how can a ref tell from a distance away . What's the solution

Tribute
    video. Love is blind, indeed.

I have another one of Eoin Kelly trying to do the very same thing. When it was nothing to do with him at all.

Im sure you have many video's of Tipp players Frankie.

Rosita wrote: »
    Not if your use of language is sufficiently skilful.

Conversely, a picture paints a thousand words.

Do you routinely float around correcting people's posts like school homework, or what's the story ?

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Clare supporters rightly aggrieved over that decision today ,whether it cost them the game we will never know but it was a bad decision . Hurling has a huge issue with refereeing and there is no appetite to deal with it . It's impossible to expect referees to get all decisions correct but we all do when it's our team/county involved .It's the inconsistency and different application of the rules that drives people crazy . When a ref is 40 yards behind a player running at goal being tackled its difficult to determine if it's a free in or out . David Reidy ran at the Tipp defence today and got a free which could have been a free out as it looked like Reidy took a lot of steps but how can a ref tell from a distance away . What's the solution

Absolutely we're aggrieved at the decision but for me 1 of the biggest disappointments for me is how Clare reacted, he just gave up for a while and are using it as an excuse, yes it was a bad/wrong decision but they happen in games, get over it and move on, we didn't adjust to being a man down and conceded 2-4 in those 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement