Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

"I have no skin in it, I hate both teams."

Mother a god, what a mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

formerlyET wrote: »

That, unfortunately, is probably a true hurling man in his own mind anyway. There's bitter weeds in hurling for sure. Lots of them don't even like the sport very much. They just enjoy their team being successful and others not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Mother a god grow a sense of humour and don't take a sports thread on an online forum so seriously.

It didn't matter to me who won today as I support neither team and see both as equal rivals to Limerick for the trophy if you are so desperate for a serious answer

Rosita wrote: »
    That, unfortunately, is probably a true hurling man in his own mind anyway. There's bitter weeds in hurling for sure. Lots of them don't even like the sport very much. They just enjoy their team being successful and others not.

Been following Limerick my whole life which clearly started in 1985 so "successful" clearly isn't what drives my love of hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Rover365

Game was cooked then to be fair. Clare led by 1-7 to 0-4 in the first half and until those last five points you mention at the end they were outscored by 3-19 to 1-10. That's a savage gap in scoring. They were outplayed realistically. They started well and bumped the scoreboard a bit towards the end but were not at the pitch of it mainly. I have a feeling Clare could struggle in the qualifiers.

I agree the game was over at that stage but there is no doubt the penalty/sin bin changed the whole game. Clare pulled players back during that period trying to kill the 10 mins but left the tipp h/b line to pass to players in space.

Shanagher is devoid of confidence atm and think clare left tk in ff for too long today. Impressed with the backs again today and think no one will want to get them in the qualifiers along with galway.

The only definate of today is that james owens should not be let onto a field again this summer.

Rover365 wrote: »
    I agree the game was over at that stage but there is no doubt the penalty/sin bin changed the whole game. Clare pulled players back during that period trying to kill the 10 mins but left the tipp h/b line to pass to players in space.

Shanagher is devoid of confidence atm and think clare left tk in ff for too long today. Impressed with the backs again today and think no one will want to get them in the qualifiers along with galway.

The only definate of today is that james owens should not be let onto a field again this summer. Id even call into question his integrity after todays performance

It may have influenced the nature of the game but with the disparity of the scoring over a long period it clearly didn't affect the outcome. Like I said Clare started well as you'd expect with a game behind them but were well outscored across much of the match.

When you consider how Waterford came back at them I think we might find, in the qualifiers, that Clare appear better than they are. Hard to see a team (apart from Laois/Antrim) that would be straightforward game for them.

Rover365 wrote: »

The only definate of today is that james owens should not be let onto a field again this summer. Id even call into question his integrity after todays performance

That's too far.

And Tyrell was a disgrace in the way he tried to hang Owens out to dry on national TV today. Tyrell is an uninteresting bully, adds nothing in analysis. Why can't RTE get someone like Skehill in, who actually has insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭caddy16

It may have influenced the nature of the game but with the disparity of the scoring over a long period it clearly didn't affect the outcome. Like I said Clare started well as you'd expect with a game behind them but were well outscored across much of the match.

When you consider how Waterford came back at them I think we might find, in the qualifiers, that Clare appear better than they are. Hard to see a team (apart from Laois/Antrim) that would be straightforward game for them.

I'm sorry but that's complete and utter rubbish, of course the decision had a huge impact on the game. Tipp scored 2-4 when Clare were down to 14. BTW apart from that decision I don't think owens was as bad as people are making out.

caddy16 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that's complete and utter rubbish, of course the decision had a huge impact on the game. Tipp scored 2-4 when Clare were down to 14. BTW apart from that decision I don't think owens was as bad as people are making out.

In the second quarter before Kelly's goal Tipperary outscored Clare (with 15 men) by 1-9 to 0-4. They were giving Clare a going over anyway. The penalty thing just provided a ready made excuse for the delusional.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He had 3 big decisions, got all 3 wrong and all went in favour of Tipp.

I don't think his integrity is in question but he had a really, really poor game. He probably will get more games this summer but he is probably out of the running for the high profile games like the Semi finals and final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

That's too far.

And Tyrell was a disgrace in the way he tried to hang Owens out to dry on national TV today. Tyrell is an uninteresting bully, adds nothing in analysis. Why can't RTE get someone like Skehill in, who actually has insight.

Littlewoods would have a fit. Who would they have to promote their new range of socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

James Owens made a number of poor decisions in today's match which couldn't but influence the final result.

Every commentator, including Brendan Cummins, I've listened to is in agreement that the penalty awarded to Tipp was a mistake, along with the sin bin for McCarthy. Clare should have been awarded a penalty and Barrett should have received a second yellow card. Three major errors, just not good enough.

In the second quarter before Kelly's goal Tipperary outscored Clare (with 15 men) by 1-9 to 0-4. They were giving Clare a going over anyway. The penalty thing just provided a ready made excuse for the delusional.

Stop will you.

adrian522 wrote: »
    He had 3 big decisions, got all 3 wrong and all went in favour of Tipp.

I don't think his integrity is in question but he had a really, really poor game. He probably will get more games this summer but he is probably out of the running for the high profile games like the Semi finals and final.
    If you're referring to the penalty at the end, it definitely was not clear cut. A lot are given in those circumstances but Shangher was fouling too.

If you're referring to the penalty at the end, it definitely was not clear cut. A lot are given in those circumstances but Shangher was fouling too.

I don't think that one was a penalty. The only big big one I think he got wrong was the sin bin penalty

Stop will you.

I will. I've made the point over and over anyway.

Yeah, if there was a decision it was a free out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

The defender dragged him to the ground before the ball arrived in, clear cut penalty and sin bin, not that it would have made much difference to the outcome at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The defender dragged him to the ground before the ball arrived in, clear cut penalty and sin bin, not that it would have made much difference to the outcome at that stage.

Not before the forward tried to drag the defender down,free out,least you admit it would not of made any difference anyway

• Advertisement

Not before the forward tried to drag the defender down,free out,least you admit it would not of made any difference anyway

But he didn't give a free out either. Cling play on is saying no foul was committed.

It's as clear a penalty as you will see all season. He also failed to give Barrett a 2nd yellow.

It was an awful performance from Owens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

But he didn't give a free out either. Cling play on is saying no foul was committed.

It's as clear a penalty as you will see all season. He also failed to give Barrett a 2nd yellow.

It was an awful performance from Owens.

Barrett’s first yellow was given for nothing though , and I’m a Clare man. The decision took the wind out of our sails completely. Might not have won anyway but he ruined what was an excellent contest up to that. Neutrals should be just as alarmed as Clare fans that a good game can fizzle out at the behest of a bad ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭Speak Now

breezy1985 wrote: »
    The 1980s don't matter one bit. Only what happened between the players out there now does and yes KK probably have a tiny advantage as they have won 2 recently and Limerick 1 but historical records amean nothing.
    Limerick are definitely favorites if that game happened but KK would certainly have a decent chance

1980s certainly don't matter one bit, after 1974 final I don't think they crossed paths again until 2005.

TV Analysts and posters need to do better. Likewise, Brian Lohan, I'm a fan of Lohan, but he needs to be more professional when talking about refs:

"Owens admits he was worried what impact the fall-out from the match would have on his father James Snr, who had been sick in 2016.

“Would it have been covered [as much] only for the fact it involved such a high-profile player?

“But that did have an effect on the family. I was very worried for my father at the time, because the year before he had a triple bypass. The following day I had to tell them to stay away from social media, not to buy any papers or do anything like that, but sure you tell people to do that and they go and do the opposite. They are curious to find out what people are saying about the incident.

There were hurtful comments and if you look over all the social media websites it’s the same guys that are passing the same comments and it’s the same hurtful comments.

“Again, I don’t get involved in it, but obviously I would be aware of it. They made me quite aware of some of the stuff that was going on. I just try to tell them to [ignore it].”

The aftermath of the Gleeson decision is just one call Owens knows has had reverberations for his family.

“That impact on family does have a very negative effect on [referees]. If you have your family suffering from certain decisions you make, obviously it is going to affect you in a way as well, but that’s social media for you. I can’t do a whole lot about it.”

With that in mind, Owens would support referees’ decisions being relayed live via a refereeing official, given that match officials on the day are explaining it over a mic feed."

Speak Now wrote: »
    1980s certainly don't matter one bit, after 1974 final I don't think they crossed paths again until 2005.

Ha fair enough I just picked a random decade. But nothing beyond the last few years really matters was the point

Very good interview with Owens here ( https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/sport/owens-on-top-of-his-game-39110565.html )
    'People were saying that it ruined the game, but at the time it was a decision that I had to make and it's unfortunate that you have to do that,' Owens said.

'Referees hate sending players off. We don't go looking for a reason to send a guy off, the reasons come to us. It was just unfortunate the way things panned out.'

Vitriol being fired towards officials is sadly something that's commonplace and, despite being one of the top officials in the game, Owens is no stranger to seeing humanity rear its ugly head himself, having been the victim of online abuse in the past.

The Wexford man refereed the 2017 All-Ireland semi-final between Waterford and Cork and was criticised for not pushing for Austin Gleeson to be suspended for the decider for pulling Luke Meade's helmet from his head.

The Askamore man said he can take the nastiness on the chin himself, but he was deeply concerned about the impact it was having on his family.

'The amount of abuse I was getting was affecting my mother and father in a way that I probably hadn't realised. They would have seen in the papers what was being said about me.

'My father was sitting down with my sister and they were running through comments online, stuff that was quite abusive towards me. My father had had a bypass, so that was a serious concern for me.

'I'm able to deal with it by not reading it, but I probably didn't realise that they were caught up so much in what was going on,' he said.

Owens said referees are also impacted by criticism of their colleagues, and they have a Three Musketeers-style 'One for All, All for One' mindset as they look out for their fellow officials.

'When I go out refereeing there's four umpires in the car with me, and every decision I make, I'm making it on behalf of them and the two linesmen and every referee in the country. Once one referee gets a bit of abuse, it has an effect on every one of us.

'We all feel for that referee if it happens. If you abuse one referee, you abuse every referee that's on the national panel. We're like a county team. When things don't go well for them, they get online abuse as well,' he said.

While having a hide as tough as a rhinoceros is often needed to ply your trade as a referee, Owens insisted, that while a thick skin is important, a passion for what you're doing is paramount.

'It's a love of the game and a love of what you do. A referee loves their job and loves being involved.

'Of course you do have to have a thick skin, but you take in whatever you want to take in. There's ways of dealing with a certain amount of abuse,' he said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

formerlyET wrote:
    TV Analysts and posters need to do better. Likewise, Brian Lohan, I'm a fan of Lohan, but he needs to be more professional when talking about refs:

Why such a staunch defence of Owens? I would never condone any abuse of any kind but he's a referee in the public eye reffing a big game. I'm sure all of them realise they are likely to end up with the spotlight on them if they make a big decision. I'm sure Owens himself watching it back will find it hard to justify the decision. Blaming pundits/media/social media for questioning it seems a strange take on the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's too far.

And Tyrell was a disgrace in the way he tried to hang Owens out to dry on national TV today. Tyrell is an uninteresting bully, adds nothing in analysis.

Wouldn't expect anything different from that lad.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Is Brendan Cummins the only Tipp person to acknowledge that Owens made a mistake with the penalty? At least if and when a similar wrong is done to a Tipp player in future Cummins can sincerely have his say. If it had been the other way sound yesterday Tipp people would be understandably annoyed and critical of the ref too. The criticism being expressed by pundits and supporters is of the ref's mistakes and of the near impossible implementation of the sin bin rule. Any insulting remarks aimed at the ref is uncalled for. But pundits and supporters are entitled to their genuine views without them being insulted either.

Tipp v Wexford in the All Ireland semi final in 2019 was way worse. Tipp got completely shafted that day.

John Mcgrath only got two yellows instead of a straight red for striking with the hurl he was able to play in the all Ireland Barry Heffernan should have getting the line for a punch on a Wexford player in front of an lines man. There was two call backs by hawkie .

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Ha fair enough I just picked a random decade. But nothing beyond the last few years really matters was the point

Nothing random about the 'ayshees'. Every old fart in the media and everywhere keeps going on about them these days as if they're year zero. They all seem to be at that age in between their peak 'back in my day' stage and proper senility kicking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Why such a staunch defence of Owens? I would never condone any abuse of any kind but he's a referee in the public eye reffing a big game. I'm sure all of them realise they are likely to end up with the spotlight on them if they make a big decision. I'm sure Owens himself watching it back will find it hard to justify the decision. Blaming pundits/media/social media for questioning it seems a strange take on the situation.

Agree with this view, Owens has put himself in the spotlight for a wrong decision that killed the game completely and not for the first time. He should not be let ref any inter county games for the rest of the season and sent back to ref the Wexican hurling and this is from a neutral watching two teams go at it for a place in the final. The game should not be about the ref and the gaa has to put down a marker on this crazy decision of awarding a penalty and a sin bin card that ruined the game and a penalty that was not given.

Former Offaly referee is in agreement with the pundits and many supporters. This is what he had to say - But make no mistake, his decision to send Aidan McCarthy to the sideline for 10 minutes and award Tipperary penalty was a ridiculous and farcical decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Grats wrote: »
    Former Offaly referee is in agreement with the pundits and many supporters. This is what he had to say - But make no mistake, his decision to send Aidan McCarthy to the sideline for 10 minutes and award Tipperary penalty was a ridiculous and farcical decision.

So the only punishment should have been a free from the sideline?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

lawred2 wrote: »

and a yellow card

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

lawred2 wrote: »

The punishment should have been a free from where the foul was committed and a yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

and a yellow card
    Clareman wrote: »
    The punishment should have been a free from where the foul was committed and a yellow card.

ah - yes ok

sorry was just the way that that sentence was constructed seemed to indicate that he had issues with both decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

They're bigger and more powerful men, not dirty.
    https://twitter.com/bbarrymurphy/status/1411489306464731136
    One of a few examples of strikes across the head from Saturday. Disgraceful bull**** physicality, absolute cowardice from Hegarty again.

rebs23 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/bbarrymurphy/status/1411489306464731136
    One of a few examples of strikes across the head from Saturday. Disgraceful bull**** physicality, absolute cowardice from Hegarty again.

That's not pleasant and Hegarty has now quite a collection of this stuff, but I fail to see how it demonstrates cowardice. Surely a cowardly guy wouldn't go into the tackle in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Grats wrote: »
    Is Brendan Cummins the only Tipp person to acknowledge that Owens made a mistake with the penalty? At least if and when a similar wrong is done to a Tipp player in future Cummins can sincerely have his say. If it had been the other way sound yesterday Tipp people would be understandably annoyed and critical of the ref too. The criticism being expressed by pundits and supporters is of the ref's mistakes and of the near impossible implementation of the sin bin rule. Any insulting remarks aimed at the ref is uncalled for. But pundits and supporters are entitled to their genuine views without them being insulted either.

The only Tipp person .... come on, been over dramatic here i think, it was wrong shouldn't have happened, when/if limerick best us in the final you'll have the pitch fork crowd on here saying tipp got what they deserved! We hadn't anything to do with the decision of the ref and that carry on, owens should be wearing a tipp jersey, we've like all other counties have had s'it decisions against us in matches, so don't be making out that all tipp people agree with what happened!

I'm not staunchly defending Owens. But I'm calling for calm. Looks like people, posters and analysts alike, are taking all their lockdown stress on Owens. Get over it.

If Clare people think the only reason they lost that game yesterday is because of that decision, they're out of their minds. You still have to put the scores on the board. The reason Tipp lost to Galway last year was not because Barrett got the line, and the reason Wexford lost in 2019 was not because John McGrath was sent off. You still have to put it on the board. Tipp had figured out Clare on the line yesterday, and it happened before the sending off - the ball started to stick up front for Tipp with the introduction of Connors and huge space was created time and again by Tipp tactics. Tipp are a better team than Clare at the moment, Clare are on the march and improving but they didn't cut it yesterday. They were a little inexperienced in areas. Blaming Owens is misguided.

For anyone who thinks it's an either or situation, you've lost it. It's not pro Owens or anti Owens. I have no interest in that. But anybody thinking to themselves Owens is a disgrace or a bad ref or ruined the game yesterday, they've lost it. Mods included.

I'm merely pointing out how there needs to be control in analysis. The toughest job on the pitch is the ref's job.

And blaming the ref for a loss and obsessing over a call and dragging Owens through the mud won't help anything.

Clare need to park this ASAP, there's another game coming fast.

I was absolutely bewildered with Cleere in 2019, I don't think he had a good game, but Tipp were set up wrong and letting Wexford onto to them in waves. McGrath was sent off. But Tipp had figured out Wexford long before that, put the scores on the board, and that's why they won. Conor Cleary continually held Callanan yesterday, like an octopus, just constant pulling of his jersey and holding Callanan back, did what he had to do, Callanan was one or two touches from going to town, but Owen's completely ignored it. It happens. As Wexford found out on the weekend, you can be a man up for long periods, but it doesn't guarantee a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I'm not staunchly defending Owens. But I'm calling for calm. Looks like people, posters and analysts alike, are taking all their lockdown stress on Owens. Get over it.

If Clare people think the only reason they lost that game yesterday is because of that decision, they're out of their minds. You still have to put the scores on the board. The reason Tipp lost to Galway last year was not because Barrett got the line, and the reason Wexford lost in 2019 was not because John McGrath was sent off. You still have to put it on the board. Tipp had figured out Clare on the line yesterday, and it happened before the sending off - the ball started to stick up front for Tipp with the introduction of Connors and huge space was created time and again by Tipp tactics. Tipp are a better team than Clare at the moment, Clare are on the march and improving but they didn't cut it yesterday. They were a little inexperienced in areas. Blaming Owens is misguided.

For anyone who thinks it's an either or situation, you've lost it. It's not pro Owens or anti Owens. I have no interest in that. But anybody thinking to themselves Owens is a disgrace or a bad ref or ruined the game yesterday, they've lost it. Mods included.

I'm merely pointing out how there needs to be control in analysis. The toughest job on the pitch is the ref's job.

And blaming the ref for a loss and obsessing over a call and dragging Owens through the mud won't help anything.

I was absolutely bewildered with Cleere in 2019, I don't think he had a good game, but Tipp were set up wrong and letting Wexford onto to them in waves. McGrath was sent off. But Tipp had figured out Wexford long before that, put the scores on the board, and that's why they won. Conor Cleary continually held Callanan yesterday, like an octopus, just constant pulling of his jersey and holding Callanan back, did what he had to do, Callanan was one or two touches from going to town, but Owen's completely ignored it. It happens. As Wexford found out on the weekend, you can be a man up for long periods, but it doesn't guarantee a win.

But its okay for you to personally abuse Jackie Tyrell?... Double standards there ET.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

A bad interpretation of a rule twice in a game that clare lost by 4 points is definitely something that had an affect on the game. That lead was built in that 10 minutes.

Owens incompetence in applying the rules exasperated the Clare management. Could you predict as a manager, what he was going to do next? What he didn't do was almost as bad as what he did do.

Should Brian Lohans management have handled the next 10 minutes better? Probably should have, but they didn't. However, the game changed momentum from that moment on.

Cathal Barrett was on a yellow but the foul he should have been carded for, was worst than the one he was carded for.

When Tipp had a man sent off against Wexford it was a obvious outcome from the fouling, and Wexford had blown their legs out.

Before the match started, I had noted Owen was reffing and knew that anything could happen as a result. I don't envy him the job, and I know it's a big thing to ref intercounty, but we have to have more cop on when reffing.

Charlie69 wrote: »
    But its okay for you to personally abuse Jackie Tyrell?... Double standards there ET.

Abuse? Calling him a bully? Tyrell saw an opportunity to put himself in the limelight yesterday by hanging someone else out to dry, and he went to town on Owens yesterday. Zero objectivity. A lot of puffed up bravado dressed up as analysis. I 've no problem in saying I found it very overboard and distasteful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As a former ref myself I hate to focus on a ref's performance, as I always say if you think it's easy head down to your local club and try it. BUT, he had 3 big decisions to make yesterday and he got everyone wrong
    1. The penalty - he decided that was a goal scoring opportunity
    2. Barret Second Yellow - he ignored it
    3. Clare late penalty - he ignored it
    That's 3 game changing decisions that he got wrong in my opinion but I think the reason he made the decisions was to make up for other mistakes, which were
    1. Cleary foul in the first half - must clearer yellow card & penalty
    2. Barrett first yellow - very harsh decision
    3. He just wanted the game to end

I have no problem with a ref making a mistake but when they try to balance their mistakes that makes things a lot worse which is what I think he tried to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭newhouse87

The only Tipp person .... come on, been over dramatic here i think, it was wrong shouldn't have happened, when/if limerick best us in the final you'll have the pitch fork crowd on here saying tipp got what they deserved! We hadn't anything to do with the decision of the ref and that carry on, owens should be wearing a tipp jersey, we've like all other counties have had s'it decisions against us in matches, so don't be making out that all tipp people agree with what happened!

Any tipp person i have talked to says it was no penalty. Unlike most Kilkenny folk who couldn't see how Hogan's red card in 2019 was justified. The crap from some kilkenny posters here anytime tipp win is great to see. Didn't see many tipp posters saying much about Kilkenny's match against wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Clareman wrote: »
    As a former ref myself I hate to focus on a ref's performance, as I always say if you think it's easy head down to your local club and try it. BUT, he had 3 big decisions to make yesterday and he got everyone wrong
    1. The penalty - he decided that was a goal scoring opportunity
    2. Barret Second Yellow - he ignored it
    3. Clare late penalty - he ignored it
    That's 3 game changing decisions that he got wrong in my opinion but I think the reason he made the decisions was to make up for other mistakes, which were
    1. Cleary foul in the first half - must clearer yellow card & penalty
    2. Barrett first yellow - very harsh decision
    3. He just wanted the game to end

I have no problem with a ref making a mistake but when they try to balance their mistakes that makes things a lot worse which is what I think he tried to do

As a former ref though, do you think McCarthy could have gotten a straight-red for his dive-in? It was dangerous by any standards and would be a sending-off in other field sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Abuse? Calling him a bully? Tyrell saw an opportunity to put himself in the limelight yesterday by hanging someone else out to dry, and he went to town on Owens yesterday. Zero objectivity. A lot of puffed up bravado dressed up as analysis. I 've no problem in saying I found it very overboard and distasteful.

Has Owens came out and apologised for his huge mistake though?

If I've missed that fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Charlie69

You said he was disgraceful and a bully.... but you accuse posters saying similar things about James Owens of going over the top. Double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

MfMan wrote:
    As a former ref though, do you think McCarthy could have gotten a straight-red for his dive-in? It was dangerous by any standards and would be a sending-off in other field sports.

He slid in on his knees. Red in other sports would need studs showing in such a tackle. Don't think there was much malice in it

• Advertisement

The reason Tipp lost to Galway last year was not because Barrett got the line, .

To be fair, given that Tipp were six points up at the time of Barrrett's sending off and he was gone for the rest of the game there's far more of an argument than Clare gave about yesterday. But I know pointing that out is not in the spirit of your post and acknowledge that

Advertisement