Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Full of keyboard cliched nonsense. You've learnt a few oul stock replies.

Poor Tipp Gunner...grow up. As you go on till 4am goodnight Duracell bunny🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

For a man of advanced years I'm surprised you haven't seen that. I've seen plenty of inter county managers jostling each other and even players. You must be too busy watching your Best of '89 VHS to notice.

I've never seen a manager as wound up at half time. He actually exhausted himself. Bit of a shaper.

Things have progressed..my dear☺️

Wow, im stunned! Well you have sure owned me 🙄 Any chance you have anything good to add to a grown-up debate for once??? No, didnt think so, goodbye now!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

Always the kind word from the sporting Tipp man (assuming 'Fred Astaire' is a man).

'Limerick are still thugs'. All starting 15? Starting 15 + subs? All 35 men in the senior squad? Please elaborate.

So funny you always come in with the last bland, boring word. You will NOT be able to resist replying, because you think you're so clever!

Not difficult being more clever than you. Goodbye now saddo!!! The children must leave the room. the grown up's are talking... Go out and play and enjoy the sunshine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod

@[Deleted User] and @External Association

Cut out the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Awfully poor refereeing today. How did he give Gillane and the other lad in the full forward line yellows? If they struck people, and they did, they have to get reds, there’s no yellow card offence committed.

While the brilliance of Limerick’s performance overshadowed it for the commentators, the Gillane decision decided the destination of the Munster Championship.

This isn’t an insult to a very good Limerick team, it’s not their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

By the other lad do you mean the Tipp player who pulled a wild swing at Lynch's adams apple ?

I agree the ref was poor he gave a free out against Hayes that could have been a sinbin for Tipp and a Tipp defender gave us his best Cheillini impersonation by the side line that got completely missed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

I don't think anything over overshadows the win. It's a champagne victory for Limerick.

This reference completely passes me by. Name means nothing to me.

Tipp legend. On the original Sunday Game in 1979, long before we had equality of the sexes on panels. Excellent, top lady.

I am tired of every sending off being considered the "pivotal moment" in a match. Just means it dominates all post match talk especially when hurling people really don't accept the rules. However, there certainly were two clear red cards for Limerick today. The referee will cringe tonight on viewing those. On the other hand at least he will not attract trolls and haters ringing his house, or defaming him on social media which appears to be the price for making these calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Can't believe how poor Tipp were in that second half. Yes fair play to Limerick for upping it but Tipp seemed to think the job was done at half time and never raised a challenge at all. The worst case of throwing a final away since offaly beat Limerick and that was only a 10min brain fart. This one lasted over 40mins. Hard to see them recover from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

'Throw money at it like football' comes across as a sly/cheap- off the ball dig.

Some traditional hurling people seem to forget that Dublin are basically keeping Hurling in the GAA alive. Otherwise it would just be the 'Parish stuff' of Munster. With Galway and KK thrown in occasionally. Cuala GAA is a great example of a hurling oasis in a place that based on socio-demographics should be a no GAA zone. Dalkey. Yet this hurling Oasis in Dublin won back to back Club Hurling AI's in 2017 and 2018.

The main problem Dublin GAA have is that Football overshadows hurling. Optimized by Con O'Callaghan (also a Cuala man) who has never played senior for the Dublin hurlers, choosing football instead. A hurler who would walk into most teams in the country.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Harsh. They wore themselves out in the first half.

Dublin keeping hurling in the GAA alive😂 The sense of entitlement... You basically want odds skewed like for the footballers.

Con O'Callaghan 'has' the potential. He never played inter county senior so it's not really proven.

I think you'll find urban Cork and Belfast, to name just two areas do plenty for hurling, outside the 'parochial'.

Does it not just mean that a different group of trolls and haters are going to bully and stalk him

• Advertisement

Part of the game is knowing how to pace yourself so you last to the end. If that weren't the case 100m runners would win the 800m everytime. I very much doubt they were so stupid as to run themselves to a standstill in the first 35mins knowing there was 40 to go.

They just didn't show up. Their striking, their touch, the lot went to the dogs. Even forde who was flying couldn't hit it out of his way. Mentally they collapsed under the pressure in the first 10mins.

But if they paced themselves they probably wouldn't have kept pace with Limerick. Heat can be deceptive. When you have older players especially, on a 17c day you might have a different game. They went for the jugglar from the start, hadn't enough of a lead. Striking and touch were effected by fatigue. And the sapping hits from a bigger Limerick outfit.

I understand what you're saying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

This isn't middle distance running and pacing yourself is generally not a thing in intermittent team sports.

You're reacting to things (the opposition, teammates etc) and usually working in bursts. A player isn't going to let his man off to get a shot away if he knows he can catch him because "I should be saving myself for the second half".

Both sides worked ferociously hard, in incredibly hot weather today and most of Tipp's players were out on their feet at the end of the first half. The main tactical mistake from management was not introducing fr ah players earlier, even if they do feel they're a lesser calibre.

Jake Morris perhaps stood out as one of the few who still had energy towards the end of the game.

Meanwhile Limerick had plenty of their starting players still able to operate at a high intensity towards the end of the game. They're incredibly fit men and the truth is no other county can match them in this regard.

Hardly. A non-decision fades away quickly. Hurling people (salt of the earth doncha know) still spit back out of the grave about an active decision. No referee ever got excrement in the post I would wager because of a non-decision.

But your implied suggestion that in hurling trolling of a referee might be regarded as inevitable is telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Most teams can manage to go 70 minutes without committing one or more serious red card offences. Limerick commit multiple red card offenses almost every game.

Just this season so far -

Exact same vs Cork just 2 weeks ago - thuggish behaviour and should have been down to 14 if not 13. Gearoid Hegarty with a disgusting challenge that just gets passed off as 'Limerick playing on the edge'.

V Waterford in the league the ref actually bothered to card them for it - 2 straight reds that day.

Diarmuid Byrnes at the end v Galway straight red not seen by ref but retrospective ban rightfully given.

And then the 2 incidents today - Gillane up to his old tricks, disgusting 'challenge' - no stranger to swinging the hurl at players as he did v Cork in All Ireland Semi 2018 and saw red. He had 2 swings that day, one wasn't enough for him - he didn't inflict enough damage with the first. Today he had a proper swing though and didn't need to have a second crack at the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Wait...I swear in another thread you were asking people to name a game when a referee changed the result. You have it right here, two red cards not given.

Every player paces themselves. If they don't theyre a fool. No one goes full tilt all the time. No one chases every ball. Its about choosing your battles and percentage plays. No one would last 15mins if they went hell for leather from the first whistle. They intermittently raise the intensity but its not consistent throughout a half.

Can you explain how that changed the result?

You havnt been on here long if you think non decisions go away

• Advertisement

You are moving the goalposts. I spoke about the level of abuse accruing to referees. Never mentioned that non decisions go away. There's never a shortage of ould lads to blather on about 30 years ago. But the referee's children are safer.

You have more than once in this forum referred to Limerick as 'thugs'. Your statements did not differentiate between 'some' or 'all' Limerick players. You now mention three players by name and refer to a match v Waterford. No mention whatsoever of any context and aggravating factors in any of the cases you noted. You also make the following statement:

"Most teams can manage to go 70 minutes without committing one or more serious red card offences. Limerick commit multiple red card offenses almost every game."

So Limerick 'commit multiple red card offences.' Is this an objectively proven fact? Please support this statement with relevant material.

I disagree. I think there will be just as many clowns abusing and attacking him and his family over this just look online right now everybody is obsessed with 2 moments out of many in that game and you can be sure freaks are gonna go at the ref for that

Context? Aggravating factors?

LOL.

Sorry bud, I'm not a dog you can whistle at to do tricks. Watch the footage if you want. Or don't if you want to keep pretending that there isn't a clear and obvious pattern of thuggish fouling by Limerick players. Couldn't care less either way.

If you are going to post on a discussion forum, surely the least people can expect is that the contents of the post are supported by relevant supporting material. It's not a question of 'whistling for a dog to do tricks' just simply teasing out a position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Exactly. Damned if they do. Damned if they don't. All by good hurling folk.

• Advertisement

Category III Infractions

5.16 To strike or to attempt to strike an opponent with arm, elbow, hand or knee with minimal force.

5.17 To strike or attempt to strike an opponent with a hurley, with minimal force.

5.18 To kick or attempt to kick an opponent, with minimal force.

5.19 To behave in any way which is dangerous to an opponent, including to deliberately pull on or take hold of a faceguard or any other part of an opponent’s helmet.

5.20 To spit at an opponent.

5.21To contribute to a melee.

5.22 To use abusive language to a Referee, Umpire, Linesman or Sideline Official.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -(i)Order offender off.

Category IV Infractions

5.26 To strike or attempt to strike with arm, elbow, hand or knee either with force or causing injury.

5.27 To strike or attempt to strike an opponent with the head.

5.28 To strike an opponent with a hurley, either with force or causing injury.

5.29 To attempt to strike an opponent with a hurley,with force.

5.30 To kick an opponent either with force or causing injury.

5.31 To attempt to kick an opponent with force.

5.32 To stamp on an opponent.

5.33 To inflict an injury recklessly on an opponent by means other than those stated above.

5.34 To assault an opposing Team Official.

5.35 To act by deed, word or gesture of a racist, sectarian or anti-inclusion / diversity nature against an opponent or match official.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS –(i) Order offender off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,605 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Fair play to Limerick today, didn't drop the heads and came out flying in the 2nd half

Tipperary had enough chances to win that game but didn't take them. Some very sloppy misses and they gifted Limerick a few points for free with poor decision making

From early in the 2nd half Tipp were gassed and couldn't run the kinds of supporting plays that they needed to push on while limerick seemed to have plenty in the tank to swarm and win the majority of contests to the ball.

Better Accuracy and decision making would have kept Tipp in it to the end, but that's easier said than done in those conditions.

The official temperature was probably 25/26c, but on that field, it probably felt closer to 29/30c for those players.

And how does this list of infractions apply to Limerick 'committing multiple red card offences in every game'?

Brilliant. Let's quote a chunk of the rule book! That'll tell em!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭terryrogers

Tipp folks need to get a grip... Referee deciding the destination of the Munster championship? Yet when people gave their opinion on the sinbin decision in the Clare game (a decision that actually affected the scoreline in a tight game) the Tipp reaction was the ref was correct and the pundits should be made apologise to the ref 😊 you can't have it every way, swings and roundabouts.

There are far bigger things to worry about for Tipp after today. Their collapse or Limerick's revival, whatever way it should be understood, was a huge psychological victory once again for Limerick. I'm not sure if 'Tipps legs' were as big a factor as people are saying as it was the first 15 mins after HT when the damage was done. It was men against chaps during that period.

Hats off to Limerick on a savage performance in the second half and very well deserved Munster title and 3 in a row.

In fairness to Tipp folk all this crying and whinging is being driven by bitter fans from many counties and not just a sore loser Tipp thing

You are just being silly while thinking you're being very clever with talk of "relevant supporting material". It's a discussion forum not a defence of a thesis. You are attempting to set an impossibly high bar but adopting a kind of pseudo barrister role. But that doesn't invalidate the other poster in way you'd like to think it does.

I could say to you that today was a very hot day. You could say "prove it" and assuming a very high burden of proof (which you could disregard anyway - don't mind 28 degrees, shor in Australia it's 40) that could be quite difficult and time-consuming on such a forum were I harmless enough to get involved. But it doesn't mean the claim is false. That's the kind of quicksand you are trying to create.

It's very transparent.

I can't believe a Tipp girl never heard of a Tipp PRO for 22 years and absolute pioneer in her field.

The Anthony Daly controversy in 1997.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liz_Howard

Well if a poster or posters refer to this Limerick team as 'thugs', I reserve the right to call out the said posters to defend this scurrilous allegation. Is that transparent enough for you?

Never questioned your right to do anything. It's a public forum. All I did was draw attention to your strategy.

Less of the superior attitude

Post edited by seligehgit on

Barrett's reputation for going down softly may have preceded him. Same with Paudie Maher. Two noted divers. If it was Brendan Maher etc it may have been a different story.

Kyle Hayes has freakish athletic ability.

He reminded me of Jonah Lomu's influence when he took over the rugby WC at 20 in 1995.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Jaysus if I hear any more about eamon o sheas impact on this tipperary team, I'll go nuts

The drum has been banged for about 15 years

Poster posted a list of infractions from the GAA rule book to support the said poster's 'Limerick are thugs' allegation. I challenged the poster and then you attempted to counter with the challenge on his post by suggesting I was 'adopting a pseudo barrister role'. I think some dignity in defeat might be appropriate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement