Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

These were two of the clearest red cards you'll see. The faux hard man attitude is not relevant.

Less of the hyperbole and generalisations

Formal Warning/Yellow Card will be applied retrospectively

Post edited by seligehgit on

You said I was a "Tipp girl" - I didn't.

1997? Seriously? Try to stay in this century for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

I'm calling out the poster to defend his scurrilous allegation i.e. Limerick are thugs. I am challenging him in doing so.

I'm calling out the poster to defend his scurrilous allegation i.e. Limerick are thugs. I am challenging him in doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

How about posting evidence that proves him wrong then. Plenty of highly documented evidence of Limerick players being loose with the hurl last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Barrett and Paudie are 2 divers in my book. It may have went against them. That's not faux hard man posturing.

Please do not respond in kind

Post edited by seligehgit on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

As a neutral today, now in fairness to say Maher dived when he got a rap in the nuts is unfair, there should have being two red cards for limerick today and clear red cards and the ref got them wrong and should have talked to his team. Limerick are getting decisions from refs with this so called playing on the edge.

Well what are you?

All your talk of 'fat middle aged' men is showing you up for Woke nonsense. The middle aged man, your greatest enemy..

A bit of knowledge of the past helps when you combine it with the present. You just don't have any real knowledge. Henry Shefflin started his career in 1999, oh now he's irrelevant. Sheedy played with Tipp in the last century, he must resign!

I don't debate with charlatans.

I'm not the one making the allegations. I'm not calling any team in any code 'thugs'. It is the responsibility of those making the allegations to provide objective support for those allegations. Anyway, try proving a negative.

• Advertisement

It's not so much today, though he went down softly in the first half

I never denied they were red cards, maybe the two boys reputation proceeded them.

Let's face it, they are no Tommy Walsh in 2009 when Benny Dunne tried to decapitate him. He leapt up straight away.

Mask is slipping a bit now. Anger is rising. Best not to "debate" (laughable description btw) any further is right.

Your one certainly has. Fat, bald men. If a male described a middle aged female in such derogatory terms they'd be hauled over the coals.

You haven't even the courage to say what county you're from. Though it seems Tipp given your rant. I'm entitled to look on Barrett and Paudie as divers. I didn't get personal, you did, you tried to have a sideswipe at middle aged men because they dared proffer an opinion. They were red cards, but the two on the receiving end have a reputation for going down softly. I greatly admire, Seamie Callanan, Forde, the McGrath's etc. You are the only one showing hatred. 'balding, fat middle aged hatred'. Projection!

You're found out in every way, lack of knowledge, insulting behaviour..

I'm a proud Laois man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

Rosita and External Association

Please desist from the tit for tat bickering or sanctions will be applied retrospectively.

Mod Edit

Quoting or replying to a Mod in a Thread is an Automatic Yellow Card, as per Charter, any issue, take it to PM please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Not a hope of anyone stopping Limerick

That team will dominate for a long time, awesome

disgusting elements to their play though, it’s why they are hated

• Advertisement

On paper and when they play like that. But some day they won't play as well and the unexpected will happen... a red card for them. The same was said before KK knocked them out in 2019. Discipline could be their biggest problem. Galway on their day.. a few teams can beat them. Certain things have to go wrong for Limerick and right for the opposition. KK have a great tradition v Limerick. Cork are Cork, if they get going. I can't see Tipp beating them this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Its true to say that we have a great tradition against them.

In reality, they should be going for their 4-in-a-row but its fine margins always because who knows what would have happened subsequently if they hadn't gotten the breaks they did in '18. Refereeing decisions they got on the day, the fact we were playing our third game in a fortnight...

Where did he get the rap in the nuts, he was holding his hand when he went down first to me he was actually barging with the second one. For a player that inflictated one horiffic injury on a player you have to wonder about him. The referee consulted with the two lines men over Gillane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cork vs Clare

Waterford vs Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Wonder will the GAA do a double header in thurles or Croke Park.

Clare seem to be motoring well enough these days and I'd have a suspicion they'll win this.

Waterford are a very lively, young team. Galway certainly are not. Galway were atrocious against the dubs and I, frankly, wouldn't be surprised if they were as bad again. Waterford to win this imo, even win it easily if its in thurles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

I'd presume they'd be two separate matches to enable more supporters to attend and more importantly get more gate receipts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

Double header in Croke park would actually allow most fans to attend due to its size. Was 36k in for the football double header yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ide say the difference in gate receipts between 1000 and 2000 or whatever its going to be is spare change to an organisation that size. It will be split for the fans not the money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Two great games.

If style match ups make great games, these two games have great potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,938 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford need to improve massively on the last 2 performances. Galway on a good day will make bits of us and they will be out to prove a point

Clare vs Cork will be an interesting game. Clare going well and Cork with only game played in which they put it up to Limerick

A Galway win will mean an All Ireland QF against Tipp. Winners of Clare vs Cork vs Dublin in that case. Waterford win will mean a draw for the QFs

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭tranquilo

Two nice fixtures to look forward to there, should be cracking games. I know they fell apart yesterday in the second half but I think Tipp will learn from that, similar to 2019 when they lost the Munster final. I can see them making it to the final again this year, getting the better of Kilkenny in the semi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is your bias coming out I am afraid, and I twigged the sneering attitude straight away - 'can't throw money at it' you said first. Cynical stuff - there are other GAA specific threads for that.

You seem to be one of those do not want the game of hurling to grow? You want it to be a 'closed shop' of traditional counties'? What future does the game of Hurling have if it is just Munster plus Galway and KK? For Hurling to be a REAL competitive AI game Hurling needs a decent competitive Dublin team. Brian Cody has said it many times. Dublin is basically the future of the growth of Hurling. Numbers wise it is badly needed. Hurling AI tickets are always easy to get for all counties up until the AIF.

You have arrogantly implied that Dublin do not have the hurlers. Ie Hurlers are born not made etc. The fact is Dublin do have 'hurlers'. The only problem is Ciaran Kilkenny, Con O'Callaghan. Cormac Costello, Diarmuid Connolly, Vinny Murphy all chose football as their number 1. Shane Ryan and Dotsy only switched codes because they could no longer get into the Dublin side. Conal Keaney was an exception he did it for the love of hurling.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40338098.html

Perhaps you should do some research into the game of Hurling in Dublin? Maybe you have been blinded by biased lazy analyst from those from the 'traditional hurling counties'?

Grand if you want a closed shop of 'traditonal counties' and hurling to based on about 8 hurling counties (at a push). Fair enough. But in my opinion it will not grow the game of hurling. And if it only remains in Munster with KK and Galway thrown in. The game of hurling could find itself in serious trouble in future. Hurling already has 'lost' a 'traditional county' in Offaly for decades now. Having a small number of counties who play the game never bodes well for the future of a sport. There has to be growth.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

[quote]Having a small number of counties who play the game never bodes well for the future of a sport.[/quote]

Then how has hurling even come this far ?

KK, TP, CK account for the overwhelming majority of All Ireland victories. Yet other counties with deep traditions of hurling still play the game. Why do they do that if there is no regular and tangible success ?

It possibly depends on how you assess 'the future of the sport', and maybe you're thinking in narrow terms, ie of the All-Ireland series and the National League. But I have my doubts that the traditional hurling counties need hurling to grow outside that core territory, in order to preserve the game within it. The game would just go on the way it always did, before the inter-county thing became the regrettable behemoth it is now, simply because it is a way of life.

Well imo the game of hurling has not really expanded much in over 100 years. Many counties do not even bother playing it at any half decent level at all. Some do not even bother at all!

You say 'how has hurling come this far'?

My question would be 'how has hurling stagnated and stayed the same'?

Grand if people are happy with the 'Status Quo' a very 'select' number of teams that only play senior hurling to any decent level. But if there is ever a serious recession and mass emigration from Munster what will happen the game then?

Maybe the 'traditional counties' as a whole do not want change or growth of the game? It is always the underlying feeling I get anyway. But imo I think it is a sad state of affairs no forward thinking. Is it people who love the game of hurling? Or people who want hurling as 'their game' only?

• Advertisement

You are so incredibly wrong on this. So easy to blame the "traditional counties" but I guarantee you it's those counties that you will find the most enthusiasm for change towards the likes of Cavan, Tyrone or Mayo etc.

If hurlers in the smaller counties want someone to blame for the lack of growth in hurling they need to look much closer to home as the hurling fans in the traditional counties usually with all the others would give up football as the primary game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Thank god there have been no recessions or mass emigration from Munster in the last 100 years.....

P.s. The Donal Burke stuff is a joke. He's free taking was exceptionally poor on Saturday.

True enough Donal Burke's freetaking was poor against KK.

But then again, Joe Canning's free taking was 'exceptionally poor' against Dublin. So by extension using your logic....

My logic would be Joe Canning has proven free taking pedigree since he was a 15 year old minor in 2004. Donal Burke? Give him time, but his technique was poor.

Not true, i merely would like to the growth of hurling in Ireland.

I never mentioned resources at all, that again is your bias coming through. there are other threads for that discussion not here. As for your other comments not related to the GAA there are other threads for that to the GAA not there.

--

My point is I want the growth of hurling, and Dublin have done that. Yet you still sneer at Dublin it seems.

It is nothing to with money as you keep going back to for some reason (known only to yourself) . It is about the creation of a culture of hurling and growth of the game. Real hurling people would want growth of the game of hurling in my opinion. And not sneer at newcomers. You as a Laois supporter should be more open to change - or maybe it is because you just don't like Dublin?

You have point on the fans but the fact is the the GAA manipulate its structures to favour the 'traditional hurling counties'.

To keep them down and 'know their place' like Kerry in Munster where the traditional Munster hurling counties were given protection above Kerry.

That one was fairly transparent and one that caused uproar at the time.

--

The current AI hurling championship is basically Munster plus AN others. It would be nice if that changed a bit for the game of hurling. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

What's your argument?

You're initial comment was dublin are keeping hurling alive in the GAA and that's very clearly not true.

Dublin are leading the growth of the game is actually a true enough statement. Mainly because the traditional counties that play hurling don't really have room for growth. Is it their job to help grow the game in other counties or is that the task of the other counties?

A balance needs to be struck as you simply don't want hurling to grow in Dublin the same way football has. If Dublin hurlers get to the same level as the footballers then hurling will die.

Hurling at this moment has about 4 teams every year that has a chance of winning. And about 4 teams that if they go on a good run could win it as well. The same simply cannot be said for football. Does anyone think Dublin won't win this year?

Dublin will never get to the same level with hurling as they do with football imo. Because the 'culture' is not there the core Dublin support for hurling games would be about 2k ish for example.

However, the team could improve, the players are there (despite some posters implied comments) but the fact is they chose football - a much stronger pull.

I meant that Dublin are keeping hurling alive from an Urban standpoint as if there was no Dublin hurling. A vast amount of the population of Ireland would not be exposed to hurling. Dublin GAA even had a development fingal hurling team to try and expand the game there for example. They are growing the game of hurling for sure. Most 'non-traditional' hurling counties are simply not bothered with it - it is treated as an afterthought. So it is left to Dublin to grow the game.

But it is the sneering from other counties about Dublin hurling that annoys me. As shown by certain posts on boards.ie for example. 'We should not be losing to Dublin' etc. It is as if some would be happy if Dublin did not improve, and by extension improve the Championship competitiveness as a whole. That is the vibe I get anyway I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

There are other threads for discussing the finances issue. I am not avoiding it. I have debated the subject ad nauseam on such threads. Hurling is paraochical it is very Munster centric, That is just a fact.

I have already spoken about Offaly and mentioned them as a traditional hurling county where they completely regressed. Basically hurling lost a county. Laois are improving no doubt - but will they ever constantly sup at the 'top hurling' table? I am not sure.

Antrim = Basically Ulster hurling everyone knows that. Following on from the likes of Sambo McNaughton. But again will Antrim ever get to the hurling 'top table'? Again I am not so sure. That is not being betlitting that is just a statement of the lay of the land and how things are and have been for a long long time.

When you look at it Dublin is the one fertile ground for the growth of hurling. And real hurling men would appreciate that fact. My issue with you is your implied and overt sneering attitude towards Dublin hurling on first impression. And I thought as a person who likes the game of hurling would want the game to grow. But the impression I now get is that you really have underlying issues with Dublin itself. Which go far beyond the remit of this thread.

Real hurling men look on Leitrim as important as Dublin. Why should a child in Cavan or Leitrim not receive the same opportunity to hurl as one in Dublin? You are giving a special status to a Dublin child.

Look it's not a sneer but I genuinely feel some of your hurlers aren't that natural. I should be free to say so. Dublin were a bigger stronger more conditioned outfit in 2019 than Laois. I attended the game with a friend, a multiple all ireland winning Kilkenny hurler. After 10min he said, and i quote, 'there's more hurling in Laois'. Not going to name him but he could read it. He thought Dublin would wear Laois down though.

It was your sneering attitude towards Dublin hurling I do not like. While at the same time styling yourself as 'hurling man'

Your first comment was you cannot 'throw money at hurling', 'hurliers are born not manufactured' - it is very clear what you implied and I have already discussed why.

Your next comment was relating to Dublin finances that comment was more overt.

Your next comment did not stick GAA issues and made assumptions of me personally.

Your comment following this was to slag off Donal Burke as a hurler because he did not do well on frees in the LF.

I think you have just issues with Dublin. And ironically you as a Laois Hurling man are jealous of Dublin and do not wish to see they be consistently competitive. That is my current impression going on your train of thought in successive posts. I could be wrong. But I will leave that to other posters to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Dublin are keeping hurling alive in urban areas? That's only true if you ignore cork/limerick/Galway/Belfast.

Any real hurling man would accept that Dublin is the only option for growth? What kind of rubbish is that. Kildare are doing good things. Laois are improving. Antrim are going well. Kerry hurling has pushed on in recent years.

Dublin get about as much credit as they deserve for being in the 5 to 8 best team in the country.

You are the one with Dublin issues. Calling us all parochial only for Dublin hurling. That's some sort of superiority complex. You have top resources? What's your problem? Entitlement.

I cheered on Dublin v KK in 2011 in the league final, v Cork 2013, almost always. I've a problem with your posts. Not Dublin. If i think they aren't the most natural hurlers, that's an opinion.

You were the one posting articles about Donal Burke being wristy!

Fair enough wanting to improve the game of hurling in some socialist equitable model. That is the dream. but Dublin have much more chance than Leitrim to grow the game of hurling for obvious reasons. Comparing Leitrim and Dublin hurling is a logical fallacy. Leitrim will never have a chance to compete in either hurling OR football by virtue of their small population size. As simple as that. To grow a game focus must be made on untapped potential of which Dublin has the population. It is just the reality.

I would agree with you on the point on Dublin not having the hurlers to a point - in the forwards. However, I have explained how football has taken these natural born hurlers and they focused on that instead. If Dublin had a hurling forward line of Costello, Kilkenny and Con the hurling landscape would be very different imo.

• Advertisement

Look at your population. You mention 3 or 4 players. In Laois we have that and 1/15th your pop.

And outsIde of making Kerry play an extra qualifier what have the traditional counties done to stop Sligo or Longford from playing hurling.

It can't be a lack of opportunities because half the counties win nothing in football too.

When a smaller county wins one of the divisional competitions you will have more Limk, Cork, Kk people on here that care than the fans of the counties that win Lory or Nicky. Its lazy BS to blame the big counties Offaly for instance were given every opportunity to stay at the top table and they failed through nothing other than their own mismanagement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

I've had to Delete several posts today as some posters still don't seem to understand that FUNDING has a Thread where it can be discussed.

No where else, as it such a topic that takes Threads off topic quickly.

Posts where the Funding issue is mentioned- directly or directly- , will Not be Edited, they will simply be Deleted.

As always, please do not Quote or reply to this in Thread, Message if there is an issue.

I mentioned three players who are natural hurlers and would make a difference to the Dublin hurling team if they went intercounty. Costello and CK were fantastic at underage. Con is doing great stuff at club level really stands out. Your argument before was implied that Dublin do not produce natural hurlers. And 'throwing money at it' would not make a difference. Hurlers are born not 'manufactured' was your line. Dublin do have natural hurlers, but they also happen to be natural footballers and chose football.

You argue that Laois have that? Do they? It is 1985 since Laois got to a LF. It must be the luck of the draw or an unlucky generation in that case? Ok Eddie Brennan got the odd shock with Laois. Ceddar (cleverly imo) set up his brand of defensive hurling. But still no LF appearance since 1985.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Just watched Kyle Hayes goal there again.... the role of seamus Flanagan taking paidi maher away from the edge of the square should be mentioned... really left a hole for Hayes to run into to take his shot... must say it for a man of his experience surprised that maher left the edge of the square unguarded the way he did....

• Advertisement
Advertisement