Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drives may become scarce

Options
  • 20-04-2021 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭

just when we thought things couldn't get worse with all the GPU/CPU scalping and price increases, apparently miners in China are buying up available hard drives at an increased pace in preparation of a new cryptocurrency, so before too long we might see these items become as hard to find as the GPUs etc.

It's all down to a new cryptocurrency thats going to be launched soon.

Chia Network.

So if your upgrading or building, it might be a good idea to get your storage sorted as soon as you can, just in case!!

;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Fionn wrote: »
    just when we thought things couldn't get worse with all the GPU/CPU scalping and price increases, apparently miners in China are buying up available hard drives at an increased pace in preparation of a new cryptocurrency, so before too long we might see these items become as hard to find as the GPUs etc.

Chia Network.

So if your upgrading or building, it might be a good idea to get your storage sorted as soon as you can, just in case!!

;)

Unless cryptocurrencies accepted and regulated by Governments worldwide it would continue to be speculation scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Fionn wrote: »

Chia Network.

;)

I'm already sorted for a long while methinks, thanks ;);)

1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME Gen 4
    1x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo+ NVME Gen 3
    1x 256GB Samsung 970 Evo+ NVME Gen 3
    1x 1TB Samsung 970 Evo SSD
    2x 500GB Samsung 970 Evo SSD
    2x 3TB Toshibia 7200rpm HDD
    5x 8TB WD Shucked Mybook White/Red 5400RPM HDD's

Spread across new main rig and Media Server build. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I guess I might get rich so, as I keep finding myself with hard drives scattered around the places which I have no idea what to do with :D:D:D

But yeah, this sounds a lot like the unheard advice to "build a PC now" given out in March/April last year, so it can definitely happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

HDDs will never be anywhere close to as scarce as GPUs or even CPU, very different supply chains. Prices might fluctuate a little naturally but that's all that will happen.

Advertisement