Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Journal.ie Opinion Piece Fake?

Options

Comments

Wibbs wrote: »
    I personally know as many women who would hold some such views(especially on the anti vax thing for some reason. I know more anti vax women than men).

That comes from hostility to the medical and pharmaceutical industry in general. In fact there's at least two Lifestyle journalists for the Independent who were caught up in this, at least on social media.

Remember we are talking about people who believe in holistic medicine, homeopathy, natural solutions, "natural" herbs, and meditation ( the only thing that does work scientifically). And vaccines have caused problems, to be fair.

So that's where that comes from.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

That comes from hostility to the medical and pharmaceutical industry in general. In fact there's at least two Lifestyle journalists for the Independent who were caught up in this, at least on social media.

Remember we are talking about people who believe in holistic medicine, homeopathy, natural solutions, "natural" herbs, and meditation ( the only thing that does work scientifically). And vaccines have caused problems, to be fair.

So that's where that comes from.

Thats it. The anti vaxx / anti medical stuff is definitely the conspiracy of choice for women.

that the white helmets are the real terrorists.

Hmm. you see that is not really on the same plane as pizza gate or flat earth is it? When it comes to war western governments lie all the time, and use propaganda all the time. I won't say more here as it would derail the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

It's not. I have very recent experience with a formerly close friend. Very unpleasant. Still definitely a thing.

Maybe. I still think that there's a big difference in how people get their hands on this stuff now compared to 15 years ago. In the past, you sort of had to seek it out. Now you just log on to facebook or youtube and they present it to you. I'm not saying that the end result is the same, just that the motivation isn't as confined to the search for secret knowledge that it once was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

hawley wrote: »
    It doesn't seem believable that someone like her would be dating a person who's making homophobic, transphobic and xenophobic comments. There's no sense of any relationship in the article, it just moves from a person becoming obsessed with conspiracy theories on to a long lecture about the dangers involved.

She's not dating him any more she dumped him. I don't know if it's true or made up but there are people like him out there a friend of my wife's is sending me text messages with look at this covid is fake video ... and there is a sub on reddit for families of Q-Anon victims some of it is very sad.

On the bright side my mother is getting her second microsoft injection this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's possibly fake, but I've had friends fall down the rabbit hole too. That article sounds very familiar to me, as I too had to distance myself over time due to their behaviour.

Me too

Fake or not, who cares? The Journal is just an entertainment site at this stage. Makes a change from reading their "how much money I spent this week" things.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/misinformation-5375100-Apr2021/

What are people's opinions on this article? I think that it's fake and is a smear on conspiracy theorists. The story of the article is completely unbelievable. You have a left wing feminist dating someone who is making all these comments. He's supposedly attending family events during the last year, even though he sounds like someone who wouldn't wear a mask. There's no sense of any relationship between her and him in the way she speaks of him.

Most of the article is just a lecture about conspiracy theories. I'm not a conspiracy theorist btw. They closed the comments on it, something they don't usually do for this type of story. They publish "Fact Check" pieces, but seem happy to spread their own disinformation.

the exact same thought as I read that article - thing is, who is funding this waffle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

What are people's opinions on this article? I think that it's fake and is a smear on conspiracy theorists. The story of the article is completely unbelievable. You have a left wing feminist dating someone who is making all these comments. He's supposedly attending family events during the last year, even though he sounds like someone who wouldn't wear a mask. There's no sense of any relationship between her and him in the way she speaks of him.

Most of the article is just a lecture about conspiracy theories. I'm not a conspiracy theorist btw. They closed the comments on it, something they don't usually do for this type of story. They publish "Fact Check" pieces, but seem happy to spread their own disinformation.

I'll say it's a very convenient vehicle.
    I'd be curious, if this type of questioning was the first date, surely she'd have an idea of who he was before accepting?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

“WHAT DO YOU think about capitalism?”

This was his opener on our first date.
    How to spot an Antifa :D

But yes, the whole piece smells of fakeness and lumping all the "bad" together in one person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

banie01 wrote: »
    Donie's report on Qanon and effects on family.

Let's not import American crap into our country then.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

If you imagine The Journal is a website run by the teenage feminist daughters of rich people, the content makes more sense.

Bullseye sir/madam bullseye

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The ex-boyfriend may not have existed, but we've seen most if not all of the conspiracies mentioned in the article spouted here in CA also.

You wonder what it is, what inner need it fulfils, that gets people convinced that anything and everything is a huge conspiracy and nobody can be trusted (apart from that one youtuber who shows them the light).

osarusan wrote: »
    The ex-boyfriend may not have existed, but we've seen most if not all of the conspiracies mentioned in the article spouted here in CA also.

You wonder what it is, what inner need it fulfils, that gets people convinced that anything and everything is a huge conspiracy and nobody can be trusted (apart from that one youtuber who shows them the light).

Loneliness, low self-esteem, isolation, inferiority complex are some of the symptoms these people commonly carry when I encounter them. My guess is the conspiracies make them feel empowered and gives them an "enemy" to direct their anger at.

The alternative would be to take the difficult steps necessary to better yourself. But you know, YouTube, innit.

Maybe it boils down to "can media corporations be trusted?"
    There seems to be two sides here, the doubters and the non-doubters.

For instance - the doubters will doubt this Journal article, while non-doubters will not.

Thats it. The anti vaxx / anti medical stuff is definitely the conspiracy of choice for women.

It's all tied to the holistic/natural stuff. I've pointed out before that Alex Jones and Gwyneth Palthrow sell literally the same stuff from the same company to their marks, just with different branding.

It's all tied to the holistic/natural stuff. I've pointed out before that Alex Jones and Gwyneth Palthrow sell literally the same stuff from the same company to their marks, just with different branding.
    Is this one of those occasions when people say literally but mean figuratively?

biko wrote: »
    Maybe it boils down to "can media corporations be trusted?"
    There seems to be two sides here, the doubters and the non-doubters.

For instance - the doubters will doubt this Journal article, while some will not.

Right, there's nothing wrong at all with being skeptical of the media, but to then go to some random internet source and believe that JFK junior is going to arrest Joe Biden on inauguration day?

It's not as rational a dichotomy as you suggest.

Right, there's nothing wrong at all with being skeptical of the media, but to then go to some random internet source and believe that JFK junior is going to arrest Joe Biden on inauguration day?

Yes, and no. People will believe all kinds of stuff, it's doesn't make them any less human than others.

And in what category do you place people that think this article is fake?

It seems pretty irrational of you to brand the opposition as "Loneliness, low self-esteem, isolation, inferiority complex are some of the symptoms these people commonly carry when I encounter them".
    Have you really got to know one so well you can judge this?

".
    Have you really got to know one so well you can judge this?

Yes, as I have alluded to a few times already.

• Advertisement

Ok, I'll have to take your word for it I guess since there is no way we can prove or disprove it.

Ok, I'll have to take your word for it I guess.

I'm an internet randomer, you should believe everything I say without question, isn't that how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its a letter that conveniently enhances everything the journal has been banging on about over the last few months. They must have thought it was Christmas when it conveniently landed on their email.

Its obviously made up and likely somebody from the journal created it.

You don’t have to personally know a conspiracy theorist to know many of them are:

Men. Overwhelming men. In their 20’s or 30’s.

Of below average intelligence.

A deep distrust of mainstream media.

Big into cryptocurrency and libertarian woo.

Putin as some sort of strongman figurehead.

Essentially radicalised as a result of watching YouTube videos and following similar Twitter accounts.

Heightened sense of victim hood - it’s not my fault my life turned out this way. It’s the Jews, Dr Tony, female politicians etc etc.

Who is behind the conspiracy pushing and how we can fight back against them is the more pertinent question.

You don’t have to personally know a conspiracy theorist to know many of them are:

Essentially radicalised as a result of watching YouTube videos and following similar Twitter accounts.

Heightened sense of victim hood - it’s not my fault my life turned out this way. It’s the Jews, Dr Tony, female politicians etc etc.

Who is behind the conspiracy pushing and how we can fight back against them is the more pertinent question.

Scratch the surface of these conspiracies and it's all about the usual enemies "the Jews" etc. Same old white supremacist crap we've been seeing since the 1930s.

I doubt it given the context. I’m now sure how that statement could even be figurative.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/misinformation-5375100-Apr2021/

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This post is beyond parody. Libertarians who love Putin? haha. It's like you've conveniently thrown every group you dislike into one.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

No. Literally the same product from the same company. For example, Moon Juice makes "Sex Dust" for Paltrow and "Super Female Vitality" for Jones. Literally, not figuratively, the same thing.

• Advertisement

That said when I lived in the US in 2003 I relied on internet sources to disabuse the idea of WMD having been proven. All cable news and even the NYT were leaning the other way.

Advertisement