Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Journal.ie Opinion Piece Fake?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

If you imagine The Journal is a website run by the teenage feminist daughters of rich people, the content makes more sense.

I once got banned for implying an opinion writer must be friends with someone in the journal, as the piece was so poor and inaccurate

Turns out I was right, as all the abusive stuff about it was not censored, but mine was

Worth also remembering that the Journal just reprints stuff from the Press Association ( then claims “additional reporting” by one of the students Union type writers - which just involves fixing Derry from ‘Londonderry’)

Their ‘Fact-check’ is ironic and patronising at best, Pravda like at worst

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Tork

donaghs wrote: »
    I just don’t see her being with him though. I guess we can’t prove or disprove it, but it reads fake to me. Unless it was written in a style to condense events and tick boxes about icke, rothschilds, maga hats etc. Basically i know people can slip into paranoia and conspiracy, but I find to hard to believe these two people started and maintained a relationship. It more like an article which pushes the right buttons for some people

It’s the equivalent of asking somebody to write a medical article after watching a Gray’s Anatomy box set. The article is as fake as the “John is a trainee widget maker on €30k a year, here’s how he spends his money” articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

hawley wrote: »
    You have a left wing feminist dating someone who is making all these comments. .

Its weird ..the far right extremists go for the left wing feminists. Maybe its the extreme in each other that attract them to each other. :confused:

Its clear there are plenty of people who go down the rabbit hole.

In my experience ..extreme people are attracted to each other. Doesn't matter if they are leftists or what.

I just don’t see her being with him though
    I mean look at Elon Musk ..and Grimes I mean she is or was the most out there feminist ( i mean she was so feminist she was accused of being anti male) ...he keeps tweeting about the red pill and is an MRA. No one would think he would choose her etc. Or her him. And he could have his pick. And before grimes he was with amber heard!

I mean i don't see amber heard with elon musk ..or grimes ...two feminists in a row ..but like it happened.

Its why Im moderate.

I don’t know how Elon musk meets anybody with his 25 hour workdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don’t know how Elon musk meets anybody with his 25 hour workdays.
    On the moon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its weird ..the far right extremists go for the left wing feminists. Maybe its the extreme in each other that attract them to each other. :confused:

Its clear there are plenty of people who go down the rabbit hole.

In my experience ..extreme people are attracted to each other. Doesn't matter if they are leftists or what.

I mean look at Elon Musk ..and Grimes I mean she is or was the most out there feminist ( i mean she was so feminist she was accused of being anti male) ...he keeps tweeting about the red pill and is an MRA. No one would think he would choose her etc. Or her him. And he could have his pick. And before grimes he was with amber heard!

I mean i don't see amber heard with elon musk ..or grimes ...two feminists in a row ..but like it happened.

Its why Im moderate.

If David Duke was a billionaire even AOC would probably date him. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

The male (particularly middle aged )demographic would have traditionally been the biggest consumers of news media...this would have been evident across radio, tv and especially newspapers....

I think any person, male or female who has consumed media for a few decades can see the deterioration in standards, even though on account of our addiction to our phones, all ages are consuming news content at such a rapid pace it has allowed an hysterical news cycle....

I would argue, there are demographics who are consuming media now that don't understand that shift from balanced based news coverage to hysterical news coverage.

And I've no doubt there are many who have filled that vaccuum with content that is not reputable, the problem is, there is now no such thing...the smartest thing to do is consume as little as possible and rely on your own acumen, allowing yourself to be wrong or misinformed on any given topic.

It's no accident we have seen the rise in outrage culture, oppression fantasies and it isn't the traditional news demographic that are getting sucked into that, it is the young and particularly female demographics...our societies can't sustain it, the industry cannot sustain it...none of it is healthy.

If there is one thing lately about those in power (politicians and the media) that absolutely infuriates me the most, it's their tendency to demonize the symptoms and ignore the disease, especially when they themselves are the metastasizing tumour that's causing all the pain.

At the end of the day it all comes down to 'who do you trust'? And trust in politicians and the media is now worryingly low, IMO justifiably so.
    Over the past couple of decades especially, both politicians and the media have displayed decreeing levels of competence and extremely high levels of arrogance, contempt and partisanship towards ordinary people and their concerns.
    Speaking of metastasizing tumours, the government’s increasing unwillingness to take any form of responsibility has lead to them offloading what responsibilities they have onto the ever growing QUANGO and NGO industry that had interposed itself between the people and those that are supposed to answer to them. They have made themselves the authority that ‘speaks for us’ instead of the ballot box. This has increasingly detached the citizen from the decisions made ‘on our behalf’, thus leading to a sense of powerlessness in the population and a growing sense of being dictated to in an autocratic manner by people that do not have your or the national interests in mind.

It therefore comes as no surprise that when you don’t trust those with power and authority you are more likely to succumb to conspiratorial thinking.
    Neither the government nor the media seem especially interested in addressing the beam in their own eye, preferring instead to point out the mote in everybody else’s.
    They have become the epitome of…..

The-Simpsons-Am-I-out-of-touch-meme.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭TanookiMario

conorhal wrote: »
    If there is one thing lately about those in power (politicians and the media) that absolutely infuriates me the most, it's their tendency to demonize the symptoms and ignore the disease, especially when they themselves are the metastasizing tumour that's causing all the pain.

At the end of the day it all comes down to 'who do you trust'? And trust in politicians and the media is now worryingly low, IMO justifiably so.
    Over the past couple of decades especially, both politicians and the media have displayed decreeing levels of competence and extremely high levels of arrogance, contempt and partisanship towards ordinary people and their concerns.
    Speaking of metastasizing tumours, the government’s increasing unwillingness to take any form of responsibility has lead to them offloading what responsibilities they have onto the ever growing QUANGO and NGO industry that had interposed itself between the people and those that are supposed to answer to them. They have made themselves the authority that ‘speaks for us’ instead of the ballot box. This has increasingly detached the citizen from the decisions made ‘on our behalf’, thus leading to a sense of powerlessness in the population and a growing sense of being dictated to in an autocratic manner by people that do not have your or the national interests in mind.

It therefore comes as no surprise that when you don’t trust those with power and authority you are more likely to succumb to conspiratorial thinking.
    Neither the government nor the media seem especially interested in addressing the beam in their own eye, preferring instead to point out the mote in everybody else’s.
    They have become the epitome of…..

The-Simpsons-Am-I-out-of-touch-meme.png

Something I found interesting about the article, and many others I've seen, is the way they smear YouTube as an untrustworthy platform without really acknowledging why people are attracted to it. They never slow down and attempt to honestly understand why YouTubers became so popular.

Think about the shooting of that young girl by police in the US this past week.

You've got a mainstream narrative which is a white police officer just killed an innocent black girl. This is not 100% false but there is some really vital extra information that should be presented. So the mainstream media is not lying to us as such but they are trying to craft a narrative and in doing so are choosing to hide things from us.

So some random guy sees that on the news and later in the day is browsing YouTube and sees a video about that incident. This is where the problem really begins.

Regardless of the YouTube channels intentions or motives they are going to make a truly excellent first impression if they start off just telling the truth.

Hold up. The victim was actually lunging at someone with knife when they were shot? The news and the outrage merchants on Twitter never mentioned that!

So there's a foot in the door already.

What can people do when the mainstream media are repeatedly caught lying and these dangerous independent sources on YouTube etc at least begin by presenting facts before moving into darker territory?

Its really a situation where the truth itself has become a gateway to radicalisation. If RTÉ willfully and knowingly deceives me and then some random video blogger shows me the facts then how can the mainstream then try to complain when I'm a bit confused and honestly tempted to just run with the guy who is at least telling the truth sometimes.

"Ah but those conspiracy nutjobs are just telling the truth to get you hooked before they bring in the big lies. We will just tell you small lies all the time!"

If the mainstream media was more transparent and honest and left the narrative crafting out of it then they would deprive a lot of the conspiracy YouTubers etc of oxygen. So I wouldn't be able to go to a channel with some weird guy in his basement and get vital new information because the BBC or RTÉ or Sky already told me that so it doesn't matter.

The Journal are guilty of it themselves here. They are on one hand trying to be a reputable source but on the other hand are pushing this anecdote from an anonymous source that is supposed to just convince me that anything I read on Facebook or Twitter or YouTube is lunatic conspiracy dangerous blah blah blah.

Why do they keep mentioning BitCoin? Is it something bad? Some dangerous thing worse than drugs and booze? The author outright says "His past addictions to drugs and sex had been swapped for conspiracy theories and Bitcoin."

So all it really needs now is for me to find one of these YouTubers who is like "dude, BitCoin is basically just currency, it can be bought and sold or invested in" and already they are being more honest than The Journal.

The final conclusion is that they broke up because they disagreed on the nature of the US capitol riots. This is people in Ireland ending a relationship because one of them has the wrong opinion on something happening on the other side of the world. A situation where both sides propaganda machines are absolutely not being 100% open and transparent with the truth.

Like wouldn't the best solution there be something like asking the boyfriend why he doesn't focus more on local issues instead of worrying about what Trump is saying?

You just have to laugh at the idea that all the way over here in Ireland we aren't even allowed to suggest that the US election is anything other than 100% legit. Who really cares if some dude in Cavan thinks the whole thing might be a bit dodgy?

Really strange and unsettling stuff.

So... we all agree that the Earth is hollow and the moon is man-made, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

It’s really a situation where the truth itself has become a gateway to radicalisation.

This point cannot be over-stated.

If the mainstream media was more transparent and honest and left the narrative crafting out of it then they would deprive a lot of the conspiracy YouTubers etc of oxygen. So I wouldn't be able to go to a channel with some weird guy in his basement and get vital new information because the BBC or RTÉ or Sky already told me that so it doesn't matter.

But if they did that they would then have to face some of the uncomfortable truths that they bury because they're inconvenient to the narrative that they are desperate to craft.
    I genuinely don't believe that these people actually believe in 'the truth' though. Not if it conflicts with their solipsistic worldview.
    Have you ever noticed how often these sorts are inclined to talk about 'my truth', or 'speaking your truth'?

They are so infected by critical theory that they genuinely don't believe in truth or facts, only narratives which are their truths, and any inconvenient facts or truths are thus unimportant and can be discarded.

This daft article my well be a work of fiction, but it 'feels true' to them so it must be true. After all, some random anon on the internet agrees with me so it must be true! Now, what sort if thinking does that sound like? Ironically, the kind of person who ignores facts in favour of confirmation bias is exactly the kind of person prone to conspiracy theory.....

The mainstream media has a hate-boner for YouTube because it's eating both their lunch and their influence. I think it kills them to see their influence as gatekeepers of the public discourse being eroded by 'some a-hole in the internet that, loike, doesn't even have a degree in journalism from Trinners for fok sake!'

So... we all agree that the Earth is hollow and the moon is man-made, yes?

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid of that false flag narrative normie, doughnut earth is real!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,908 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its pretty common knowledge that you're not meant to take the Journal seriously. Its like a university newspaper - copy and paste pieces put together by people who hold their book shelves up with cinder blocks.

The constant holding the cap out asking people to support their "journalism" gives the impression that the end might be nigh. Fingers crossed.

Are the Journal and Boards.ie not owned by the same company ?
    One going under could affect the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

hawley wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/misinformation-5375100-Apr2021/

What are people's opinions on this article? I think that it's fake and is a smear on conspiracy theorists. The story of the article is completely unbelievable. You have a left wing feminist dating someone who is making all these comments. He's supposedly attending family events during the last year, even though he sounds like someone who wouldn't wear a mask. There's no sense of any relationship between her and him in the way she speaks of him.

Most of the article is just a lecture about conspiracy theories. I'm not a conspiracy theorist btw. They closed the comments on it, something they don't usually do for this type of story. They publish "Fact Check" pieces, but seem happy to spread their own disinformation.

Lads, The Journal makes The Sun look impartial and sober. It's a clickbait site and nothing more.

Thing is though, when the Journal dies, so will Boards, because Boards hasn't turned a profit in ten years.

Advertisement