Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

utmbuilder wrote: »
    Oh gosh it's hard to know, maybe consider a commuter town, Navan south (Johnston) low crime good schools.

Dunboyne has gotten expensive, Drogheda you really need to know where your going.

Slane is amazing, Kells too.

Athboy is very nice but a bit more rural if the house is too big on its own you have to thunk heating.

Balbriggan use to be incredible but run down now with some teen problems.

I’ve lived in Johnstown Navan for 10 years , now I live in South Drogheda since 2014 and there’s no contest in my view , where I live now wins hands down ..I’m far happier here . Maybe it’s being 5 minutes from the sea......

Slane is lovely too but not a lot of housing there , very few developments.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

When we moved i didnt want to move from on estate to another. We are on a rural country road with water, foul and 1gb broadband. All set on an acre. With a bigger budget there are some gems out there.

With a decent sized town 15mins away we have the best of both works.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mariaalice wrote: »
    What happens when the children are teenagers or are going to college and university is something to consider.

Very rural living is hard for teenagers and their sense of agency and independence as they need transport everywhere, of course, some parents think that it give them a way of controlling who they are meeting and what they are up to, not realising privacy from parents and parents not knowing what they are always up as teenagers is part of growing up as a healthy adult.

Not moving house in a country the size of ireland because of college placement in 16 years or so it's bizarre. Ireland is tiny is not the states

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

I’d get out now because in another 5 years no one will be allowed move to the countryside with the way the Green Party are dictating us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

We bought in blackrock Co Louth a year ago after renting in Dublin for years. Prices are much better than Dublin, your next to lovely beaches and while your in a small town with a country feel your only a few minutes from dundalk and its amenities

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I don't know what part of Drogheda you're talking about but I live in South Drogheda and its growing by the minute, lots of new developments with A rated houses, a big influx of young families from Dublin, lots of 2021 cars , packed beaches, lots of schools......

Sorry but I had to laugh at "lots of 2021 cars":pac::pac: also never heard packed beaches painted as desirable before.

Kerry25x wrote: »
    Sorry but I had to laugh at "lots of 2021 cars":pac::pac: also never heard packed beaches painted as desirable before.

I know what you're saying, I prefer the beaches of Donegal myself and I go there a lot to visit my family. But my point was if there are lots of new houses, new cars, new families and busy beaches its obviously a desirable enough area to live in. Its proximity to Dublin is the main attraction for lots of families who are priced out of Dublin but who don't want to go too rural.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Kerry25x wrote: »

Beaches are handy if you have a dog to let the dog dump their load and cover it in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Vlagro

I moved for work to a very rural area several / many years ago - the job was fantastic, the house I rented was huge and the people were very welcoming and kind to me.

1 - EVERYBODY knew me - EVERYONE - they knew what I did, what I ordered for breakfast, where I shopped, what day I visited the chemist, what I bought in the nearest town and what I ordered - and would discuss all this to me without batting an eyelid or finding it anyway odd. It totally melted my head.

2 That being said I was invited to BBQ’s and dinners in strangers houses, waved at by cars going by, given lifts and made feel very welcome including being greeted in bars and asked over to join big groups of strangers to belong & help me find new friends and fit in. I was single at the time & moved by myself.

3 I could not drive at the time. It was a total dealbreaker. It made my life difficult and expensive, put me under a compliment to people - including some I did not want to be under a compliment to,, really reduced my social options and limited me hugely in what out of work social things and sports I could engage in.

For it to be a success for you, you will have to decide to learn how to drive. - from my experience

Thank you for sharing this with me. Something to think about.

Advertisement