Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Ireland App now live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This is true. However, the outcry that ensued when GI said handicaps could only be viewed on their platform makes that a pipe dream. We have all these systems because people are resistant to change and people don't use them because they're resistant to change. :rolleyes:

What do you want people to change to?

Golf clubs run software and they are free to choose whichever software they like. Some software is better than others and some require multiple apps while others are all in one. The software allows booking golf, entering comps, entering scores, publishing results and some administrative facilities such as bar account balance/ prize balance etc.

The Golf Ireland App does none of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Seve OB wrote: »
    What do you want people to change to?

Golf clubs run software and they are free to choose whichever software they like. Some software is better than others and some require multiple apps while others are all in one. The software allows booking golf, entering comps, entering scores, publishing results and some administrative facilities such as bar account balance/ prize balance etc.

The Golf Ireland App does none of this.
    I don't 'want'' people to change to anything. The resources are there to be used. Use them or not, it's up to you. But there are downsides to not using all the resources available. Your situation with 'Marker 2' being one of them. And there was a hell of a lot of work for club committees because people never checked GolfNet to see if their scores were correctly entered and fully up to date before the changeover to WHS. I'm sure most didn't care about that, but it's more than likely that a lot of people aren't on the correct handicap because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I've used the GI App since the weekend and I like it.
    I've entered 2 9-hole scores and added 6 firends from 3 different clubs (all of them knew their GUI number ;) ). I like the highlighting of the 8 counting scores in green. I think it would be useful to highlight the score which is dropping out of the count in orange.

1st round, I filled in my own scores only scores after the round. The 2nd round I filled in both our scores for the first 5 holes on the go. Between findng the phone in different pockets, unlocking it, shading it from the glare etc, it was a bit slow and my partner politely suggested leaving until the end :D

It's a useful option but I can't see it being for everyone. Might beat a soggy card on a wet day.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭david2002

I returned a score on the GI app on Monday 26th April. It was verified on the app by my playing partner.
    The round appeared on my GI record for 3-4 says but the following weekend it dropped off or was removed.
    I enquired with a clubmate who had returned a score om May 2nd and similar happened him. His scored dropped off his record yesterday.

Very strange. A fault in the app or it is being removed by our Handicap Committee, we have no idea.

Anyone else come across this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

david2002 wrote: »
    I returned a score on the GI app on Monday 26th April. It was verified on the app by my playing partner.
    The round appeared on my GI record for 3-4 says but the following weekend it dropped off or was removed.
    I enquired with a clubmate who had returned a score om May 2nd and similar happened him. His scored dropped off his record yesterday.

Very strange. A fault in the app or it is being removed by our Handicap Committee, we have no idea.

Anyone else come across this scenario?

Seems strange, is you handicap sec deleting them I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Can't remember if i mentioned this on this thread or another but there is certainly a problem with no returns after entering a competition. Whether it's just at my club i don't know.

Last night my 4 ball all entered the competition. 3 of us finished the 18 holes and entered our scores...handicap adjusted appropriately by this morning.

The 4th member walked in after 9 (he was having a shocker). Didn't enter his card and this morning looking at his Golf Ireland profile, it doesn't show any score from last night. He has a good round as his 20th oldest so it would and should have dropped out but it's still there.

So is a no return a simple way of avoiding an increase in handicap if its a poor round?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

So is a no return a simple way of avoiding an increase in handicap if its a poor round?

No. They must all be explained to handicap sec

A first one is a warning. A second one in our place would result in handicap frozen for a week, second a month

And handicap secretary has power to add a penalty score

I think that was the case before the new system though?

It was rarely if ever acted upon at our club by our handicap committee.

well there is a more robust plan in ours to deal with it

Seems to depend on whoever closes the comp where i play. Havent noticed whats happening with NR now on the WHS though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,575 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

etxp wrote: »
    Seems to depend on whoever closes the comp where i play. Havent noticed whats happening with NR now on the WHS though.

I do have an NR in my record going back from early 2020. Was out with the society and entered an open in the club we were playing on the same day.

Was captain of the society for the year and completely forgot about submitting my card after as was so tied up with prize giving, etc...

So it appears to have applied a net double bogey to all holes as I have a score of 117 strokes standing or like a sore thumb in my record at the moment :D (showd how little qualifying golf has been played that a round from Feb 2020 is still among my last 20 counting rounds)

I do have an NR in my record going back from early 2020. Was out with the society and entered an open in the club we were playing on the same day.

Was captain of the society for the year and completely forgot about submitting my card after as was so tied up with prize giving, etc...

So it appears to have applied a net double bogey to all holes as I have a score of 117 strokes standing or like a sore thumb in my record at the moment :D (showd how little qualifying golf has been played that a round from Feb 2020 is still among my last 20 counting rounds)

Score entry for boards will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

I put in my 20th qualifying score last weekend. The oldest goes back to September 2019. And I was delighted looking at all the golf I had gotten to play in that time, probably more than any time since I was a junior!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Can't remember if i mentioned this on this thread or another but there is certainly a problem with no returns after entering a competition. Whether it's just at my club i don't know.

Last night my 4 ball all entered the competition. 3 of us finished the 18 holes and entered our scores...handicap adjusted appropriately by this morning.

The 4th member walked in after 9 (he was having a shocker). Didn't enter his card and this morning looking at his Golf Ireland profile, it doesn't show any score from last night. He has a good round as his 20th oldest so it would and should have dropped out but it's still there.

Sorry if this is a daft question.

But how was there a competition?

This an informal thing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Yeah NRs are entered as 18 net double bogeys in my club too.

One issue i have seen between app and website is that when searching another player, i can see their scores on app but not website.

I hope whoevers in charge of testing is checking this thread.

This an informal thing ?

Northern Ireland!

This an informal thing ?
    They're called 'informal qualifying events' at the moment.

I answered this on the other thread. NRs should be counted as nett double bogey for each hole. Basically the hcap/sec should enter zero for each hole and Golf Ireland will record those as NDBs for handicap purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Members Club competitions allowed from May 10th.

While the return to formal, organised competition across all sports will commence from 7th June in line with the Irish Government’s ‘Path Ahead’,
    we can now confirm that golf clubs can organise internal club competitions for members only from 10th May onwards, with all other competition
    activities then permitted from 7th June, subject to the public health situation at the time.

https://static.clubhouse.golfireland.ie/clubs/1000/uploads/files/club_support/gi_livingwithcovidroi_may10_4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Golf 247

Poker Face wrote: »
    Members Club competitions allowed from May 10th.

While the return to formal, organised competition across all sports will commence from 7th June in line with the Irish Government’s ‘Path Ahead’,
    we can now confirm that golf clubs can organise internal club competitions for members only from 10th May onwards, with all other competition
    activities then permitted from 7th June, subject to the public health situation at the time.

https://static.clubhouse.golfireland.ie/clubs/1000/uploads/files/club_support/gi_livingwithcovidroi_may10_4.pdf

Thanks for sharing the link. Is it published on their website as I cant find it or are they keeping it out of public domain? Just want to be sure its a valid link?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

Golf 247 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing the link. Is it published on their website as I cant find it or are they keeping it out of public domain? Just want to be sure its a valid link?

Its on https://www.golfireland.ie/covid-19 .... Golf and Living with Covid in ROI after May 10th is link

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭david2002

etxp wrote: »
    Seems strange, is you handicap sec deleting them I wonder?

You could be spot on. Never thought of that. You would think if my Club dont accept GI app scores they would communicate that to us though.

You could be spot on. Never thought of that. You would think if my Club dont accept GI app scores they would communicate that to us though.
    Talk to your handicap secretary. They may have deleted it because there was no accompanying scorecard left in (this is just me surmising). By rights, they should outline a procedure for members to follow so that they can approve these scores. I would expect scorecards to be left in as well as the score lodged correctly on the GI app and/or the club software.

I answered this on the other thread. NRs should be counted as nett double bogey for each hole. Basically the hcap/sec should enter zero for each hole and Golf Ireland will record those as NDBs for handicap purposes.

Will these rounds count towards the players handicap? can someone just keep doing NR and then get a massive handicap?

They have to accept them, but i think they have the right to ask for the scorecard.

Apologies i knew i had mentioned it on somewhere.

I guess our handicap secretary isn't doing his job correctly then.

The temptation of not returning my card after a shocker round could be hard to resist....:p

Actually on this.

I've had a look through our Masters Scoreboard for a few random people...and the problem goes back to last year and before probably.

Any card that wasn't returned in the past does not appear on the new golf WHS system. So for example the player above who i spoke about has 3/4 no returns from the tail end of last summer. All of which don't appear on WHS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

anyone else getting upgrade notifications on app store but when you go to upgrade you get the new zealand golf app?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

willabur wrote: »
    anyone else getting upgrade notifications on app store but when you go to upgrade you get the new zealand golf app?

Yes but if you tab down a little the Irish version appears.

• Advertisement

Actually on this.

I've had a look through our Masters Scoreboard for a few random people...and the problem goes back to last year and before probably.

Any card that wasn't returned in the past does not appear on the new golf WHS system. So for example the player above who i spoke about has 3/4 no returns from the tail end of last summer. All of which don't appear on WHS.
    Yeah. These were mostly dropped when they were converting old scores to the new system. Unless the player in question didn't have that many scores and they were included. Which I think is fair. No point throwing in NRs if there are enough actual scores within the time period.

Advertisement