Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Ireland App now live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Anyone else having issues with being able to get location services working with app? A few lads I know have tried reinstalling, turning GPS off and on, turning phone off and on, waving phone in air, threatening it etc. All to avail. Literally standing on 1st teebox but app says "location unavailable". Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭OEP

manster wrote: »
    Anyone else having issues with being able to get location services working with app? A few lads I know have tried reinstalling, turning GPS off and on, turning phone off and on, waving phone in air, threatening it etc. All to avail. Literally standing on 1st teebox but app says "location unavailable". Very frustrating.

Must be something to do with the phone or OS they have, and a bug in the app. You should notify GI or he app developers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

manster wrote: »

I got an error saying I had to be in the vicinity of the golf course when submitting the scorecard! I was in the bloody car park! Tried it a few times, then went home (6kms away), and submitted them later, without an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Apologies if this has been asked before.
    Played this morning. Submitted general play score.
    Waiting for attestation from player partner. He has received the notification to say that he has to do it but he can’t figure out where in the app he approves my score. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

fearruanua wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before.
    Played this morning. Submitted general play score.
    Waiting for attestation from player partner. He has received the notification to say that he has to do it but he can’t figure out where in the app he approves my score. Any advice appreciated.

Go to messages. There will be a score waiting for approval. I didn't get a notification from my mate's round today but the message was sitting waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

coillcam wrote: »
    Go to messages. There will be a score waiting for approval. I didn't get a notification from my mate's round today but the message was sitting waiting.

Lovely. Sorted. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

flanzer wrote: »
    I got an error saying I had to be in the vicinity of the golf course when submitting the scorecard! I was in the bloody car park! Tried it a few times, then went home (6kms away), and submitted them later, without an issue
    Could have been a GPS issue, so located based on IP which could be miles away. But at home worked fine and within the margin for error.

Uploaded my first score yesterday 50 (49* adjusted for stroke max) on the local back 9. This was +12 which matched my 12 handicap displayed in the app for the white tees on the back 9.

This morning I logged in and I've been cut by 1.2 from 21.1 to 19.9. It's only the 2nd score visible in the app though. For some reason, the handful of cards submitted are missing. I only joined mid-summer last year and it took a while before I could get a handicap. As a result, I barely got to play any comps.

I'd suspect that my handicap could jump around quite a bit until I log 8+ scores.

Uploaded my first score yesterday 50 (49* adjusted for stroke max) on the local back 9. This was +12 which matched my 12 handicap displayed in the app for the white tees on the back 9.

This morning I logged in and I've been cut by 1.2 from 21.1 to 19.9. It's only the 2nd score visible in the app though. For some reason, the handful of cards submitted are missing. I only joined mid-summer last year and it took a while before I could get a handicap. As a result, I barely got to play any comps.

I'd suspect that my handicap could jump around quite a bit until I log 8+ scores.
    Initial handicap cards from pre-WHS times are dropped from the system once new scores are added afaik. This could possibly be the case with initial handicap cards under WHS as well, but it's too early to know at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

There is an adjustment until you have enough cards. If you see what differential is counting and see if adjustment gives the index. https://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Handicapping/2019/Rules/The-Rules-of-Handicapping/Rule-5

• Advertisement

Gipo3 wrote: »
    There is an adjustment until you have enough cards. If you see what differential is counting and see if adjustment gives the index. https://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Handicapping/2019/Rules/The-Rules-of-Handicapping/Rule-5

Ah okay, this makes sense. In a few weeks it'll even out provided I keep logging my scores.

I have a mate with no HC who joined at the same time as me last year. Will he get a HC from Golf Ireland/WHS by logging rounds or should he still submit cards to our HC secretary?

Ah okay, this makes sense. In a few weeks it'll even out provided I keep logging my scores.

I have a mate with no HC who joined at the same time as me last year. Will he get a HC from Golf Ireland/WHS by logging rounds or should he still submit cards to our HC secretary?
    Submit cards to the club. They have to check them and enter them on the system. Also they may want to consider an adjustment to what the cards produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Good that you can see the stableford scores while entering the scores. Bad that you can't see them after the round has been submitted. Be good if the golfer's name was shown at the top too when you look at specific round, be useful for a screenshot.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sam7777

flanzer wrote: »

this happened to me yesterday,i opened the google maps app,and it changed my location from home,to the golf course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭bren2001

I've gone 18.2 -> 20.1 -> 16.0 -> 17.0

That's from submitting 3 9-hole cards: 49, 43, and a 47. I expect it to jump around a good bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Had a 78 drop out of my 20 and 81 added over the weekend. Handicap increased by 0.3.

My average best 8 is +8.4 to par. Handicap 7.0.

The lack of knowledge of how it the new WHS is calculated is startling in my club, even those on club commitee.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭kod12

How have people been using the app for stableford. When I scratch a hole I put in the lowest number that gives zero points is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

kod12 wrote: »
    How have people been using the app for stableford. When I scratch a hole I put in the lowest number that gives zero points is that correct?

you can tell it that you picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Seve OB wrote: »
    you can tell it that you picked up

IIRC its down the bottom of the screen, tap the three dots to open the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭valc

Has anyone had problems creating a scorecard on the Golf Ireland app?

I preregistered to play at a club I am a member in (though not my home club) last weekend, but when finished I tried to create the scorecard to enter my score. I could select the club, the marker and then selected proceed to create the scorecard, but the app just wouldn’t create. I was sitting about 30 yds from the 18th green at the time so I was in the vicinity, as requested by the app.

Any advice appreciated. My handicap secretary didn’t know why.

valc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

valc wrote: »
    Has anyone had problems creating a scorecard on the Golf Ireland app?

I preregistered to play at a club I am a member in (though not my home club) last weekend, but when finished I tried to create the scorecard to enter my score. I could select the club, the marker and then selected proceed to create the scorecard, but the app just wouldn’t create. I was sitting about 30 yds from the 18th green at the time so I was in the vicinity, as requested by the app.

Any advice appreciated. My handicap secretary didn’t know why.

valc

I thought you had to create the scorecard before you play the round?

I think you can enter the scores after, but need to create before you play?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi,

I played 2 rounds at the weekend, Saturdays score was up that evening as a counting score but then as soon as Sundays went up Saturdays went to non-counting. Would anyone know why this would be?

These are my first 2 cards under the new system, and i only had 2 previous scores up from last year as I only joined at the end of the summer.

Thanks

But how would the App know what my tee time is??

Pre registering in the pro shop just involved me informing that I was playing a casual round which was to count for handicap purposes. I didn’t have to sign in. The tee time was pre booked.
    Does the pro shop have to do something on their side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Wobs wrote: »
    Hi,

I played 2 rounds at the weekend, Saturdays score was up that evening as a counting score but then as soon as Sundays went up Saturdays went to non-counting. Would anyone know why this would be?

These are my first 2 cards under the new system, and i only had 2 previous scores up from last year as I only joined at the end of the summer.

Thanks

So how's many cards are showing? It sounds like four, so only lowest card will count and minus a 1 stroke adjustment. https://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Handicapping/2019/Rules/The-Rules-of-Handicapping/Rule-5

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Gipo3 wrote: »
    So how's many cards are showing? It sounds like four, so only lowest card will count and minus a 1 stroke adjustment. https://www.randa.org/Rules-of-Handicapping/2019/Rules/The-Rules-of-Handicapping/Rule-5

Thanks for that! I knew about the best 8 from 20 so assumed it would take all my scores until I got above 8 and then start taking the best from there.

valc wrote: »
    But how would the App know what my tee time is??

Pre registering in the pro shop just involved me informing that I was playing a casual round which was to count for handicap purposes. I didn’t have to sign in. The tee time was pre booked.
    Does the pro shop have to do something on their side ?
    You can't submit a score on the app until at least two hours after you have 'signed in' on the app. So you should sign in on the app, play your round and then submit your score. The other thing you might have been missing is a marker. I think that's the next step after choosing the tees you're playing from. It's kind of confusing on the app that they refer to the tees as the markers, but you do have to have somebody to verify your score and they do it via the app on their phone.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You can't submit a score on the app until at least two hours after you have 'signed in' on the app. So you should sign in on the app, play your round and then submit your score. The other thing you might have been missing is a marker. I think that's the next step after choosing the tees you're playing from. It's kind of confusing on the app that they refer to the tees as the markers, but you do have to have somebody to verify your score and they do it via the app on their phone.

Thank you! And to Spacecoyote. Tried it out this evening and created the card before I teed off. And it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭cjfitz

Has anybody’s club an option for people without a smart phone? My dad is in his 70’s and is looking forward to playing some counting rounds after a recent hip operation. He doesn’t have a smart phone.

If I’m with him we can sort it all through my phone but if he is not with me he is a bit snookered. I guess if we weren’t still living with Covid that the clubs’ computer would be back in place for members and people would be able to register their rounds that way.

They are plenty of people in the same boat as my dad so I am interested to hear if clubs have done anything to facilitate people without smart phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭finglashoop

cjfitz wrote: »
    Has anybody’s club an option for people without a smart phone? My dad is in his 70’s and is looking forward to playing some counting rounds after a recent hip operation. He doesn’t have a smart phone.

If I’m with him we can sort it all through my phone but if he is not with me he is a bit snookered. I guess if we weren’t still living with Covid that the clubs’ computer would be back in place for members and people would be able to register their rounds that way.

They are plenty of people in the same boat as my dad so I am interested to hear if clubs have done anything to facilitate people without smart phones.

we can use computer in club shop.

i assume with restrictions easing they'll be back online across the board

• Advertisement

cjfitz wrote: »

There's no other option other than a smartphone or a computer. And if both are ruled out, then that's it.

Clubs could provide an iPad (or Android equivalent) in 'kiosk' mode (basically set up for just one app to run on it) and that could be used with antiseptic screen wipes as a precaution against covid transmission. It's a reasonably cheap option. Especially with an Android tablet.

Advertisement