Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Ireland App now live

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

We've been told that we need to submit scorecards for all general play rounds to the committee.

They're already recorded on Golf Ireland App, does a handicap secretary/committee not have access to the data on golf ireland app?

The weird thing is, that you can submit a score through BRS for a competition and not have to produce a card, but for general play, you have to submit a physical scorecard.

Seems wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bla.bla.b

We've been told that we need to submit scorecards for all general play rounds to the committee.

They're already recorded on Golf Ireland App, does a handicap secretary/committee not have access to the data on golf ireland app?

The weird thing is, that you can submit a score through BRS for a competition and not have to produce a card, but for general play, you have to submit a physical scorecard.

Seems wrong.

Same in my club. Required to submit physical scorecard for casual rounds if playing for handicap and the secondary step of uploading scores to the club app (Intelligent Golf) which I believe is then synced to Golf Ireland as my scores appear there without me inputting.

The card will probably be done away with over time but does not bother me - it's not a great deal of extra effort to pop it in the letter box post round.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bla.bla.b wrote: »
    Same in my club. Required to submit physical scorecard for casual rounds if playing for handicap and the secondary step of uploading scores to the club app (Intelligent Golf) which I believe is then synced to Golf Ireland as my scores appear there without me inputting.

The card will probably be done away with over time but does not bother me - it's not a great deal of extra effort to pop it in the letter box post round.
    Yeah. Always good to have a second record in case of input errors or problems with the app. And there have been problems with the app.

This is a great opportunity post covid, to get rid of the fecking scorecard submittal.

Handicap secretaries up and down the country have been trekking into golf clubs for years, sorting out cards, checking for errors etc.

Now with this app, we are very close to being able to fully go digital, if they would just add one more step. Before submittal, you take a photo of the signed card with your phone and then submit. Would be a game changer, you would have your proof, no need for the physical card. You could have live scoreboards etc. for competitions aswell.

This is a great opportunity post covid, to get rid of the fecking scorecard submittal.

Handicap secretaries up and down the country have been trekking into golf clubs for years, sorting out cards, checking for errors etc.

Now with this app, we are very close to being able to fully go digital, if they would just add one more step. Before submittal, you take a photo of the signed card with your phone and then submit. Would be a game changer, you would have your proof, no need for the physical card. You could have live scoreboards etc. for competitions aswell.
    You only need to go a few posts up to see why this is still a long way away. And it's not just lads in their 70s who can't or won't use the apps on smartphones.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    You only need to go a few posts up to see why this is still a long way away. And it's not just lads in their 70s who can't or won't use the apps on smartphones.

My thoughts are that both can coexist. But if you don't bring in the digital scoring now after Covid, when will they bring it in?

It's funny though, how all those lads who can't or won't use smartphones, seem to have no problem booking the 7.30 line every saturday morning on their phones/computers, no reason they can't quickly make the move towards the app.

I cant think of a single reason why we would ever say it's ok to physically have put a scorecard in a box in 2021.

My thoughts are that both can coexist. But if you don't bring in the digital scoring now after Covid, when will they bring it in?

It's funny though, how all those lads who can't or won't use smartphones, seem to have no problem booking the 7.30 line every saturday morning on their phones/computers, no reason they can't quickly make the move towards the app.

I cant think of a single reason why we would ever say it's ok to physically have put a scorecard in a box in 2021.
    It's down to the R&A and USPGA to change the rules to allow it. But look at the pros filling in scorecards with their score plastered over the course and on TV and you'll probably see what's holding up any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

It's down to the R&A and USPGA to change the rules to allow it. But look at the pros filling in scorecards with their score plastered over the course and on TV and you'll probably see what's holding up any change.

yang disqualified for signing for wrong score

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It's down to the R&A and USPGA to change the rules to allow it.

Rules have been changed to allow it.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Rules have been changed to allow it.
    Yes. Temporarily. I'm not holding my breath. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 1 of 7

Just Wondering has anyone any issues adding friends on the app. I don’t seem to be able to send a friend request anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭dk1982

1 of 7 wrote: »
    Just Wondering has anyone any issues adding friends on the app. I don’t seem to be able to send a friend request anymore.

yeah they must have made some update here. You have to enter the players second name first now and it will work . Previously worked by entering first name first and then second name, but doesn't work that way anymore

1 of 7 wrote: »
    No problem here. Just sent one. Make sure to wait after you enter the first few characters of the surname. It sometimes takes a while to search.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any reason why they took of the course and date when looking at others scores?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No. I have info on one friend still though so it must be in some sort of setting

No. I have info on one friend still though so it must be in some sort of setting

Found it.
    On website
    Manage Account, there is a privacy tick box to hide score play dates from other members

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

there is a setting called "Hide score play dates from other members" when you are logged into the Golf Ireland Website. Its defaulted to off for everyone unless you change it

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Tommo 76

Has anyone issues trying to search for open competitions on golf Ireland site? Not very user friendly, I’m getting some pop up geocoder failed due to access denied and the filters don’t seem to be working too good.

Tommo 76 wrote: »
    Has anyone issues trying to search for open competitions on golf Ireland site? Not very user friendly, I’m getting some pop up geocoder failed due to access denied and the filters don’t seem to be working too good.
    I usually don't use the location option as that can be pointless if you're using a PC with an IP based location. And it's not really that useful anyway. You know how far you are from any course in the country. :)

A lot of clubs are slow to post their open comps on it at the moment I've noticed. Probably because they weren't allowed until recently. Filters are funny alright. If you select a county, the drop down stays open even though the county is selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Golf Ireland Open Fixtures website is an absolute disaster. It's like they had a 6th class somewhere doing it as an end of year project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Yeah, open comps are a complete disaster. Some clubs don't post the fixtures on Golf Ireland either. I've been regularly checking various clubs own website for them, which is a pain in the hole

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭valc

Does anyone know if you can 'unfriend' a friend on Golf Ireland App? Accidentally hit Accept from someone who sent me a friend request, and I really don't want that person to have access to my scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

On iPhone you just swipe left on their name and the option comes up. Not sure about android

edit: just go into their page and the option is at the top right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

They can still see your scores friend or not as long as they know your name just so you know.

They may be able to see the course and date as a friend with the option turned on but I'm not 100% on that

I don't think they can see my scores without knowing my GUI number. Thought one needed this??? I'm not a member at their club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

If they're from the same club they can find you by name

Yes, and my understanding if from a different club,they will need my GUI number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭OEP

Sorry, didn't read the last sentence of your post that said they're not a member

• Advertisement

that is true

but how did they add you in the first place?

the could only have done that if they had your GUI number......

Advertisement