Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Securing pots against theft

Options
  • 20-04-2021 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭

An unusual request I know but perhaps someone might be able to help. Some b$%&ards stole 3 large filled plant pots from my parents grave. I've bought new ones and will get them re-planted this week. I'd love to find a way to secure them when I place them on the grave. The surface is gravel with a layer of concrete underneath. I don't fancy taking the drill to my Mam and Dad's resting place but I would if I thought it would prevent them being robbed again.
    I've found a couple of gadgets online but not sure how useful they would be.
    Has anyone used anything to secure pots successfully ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Anti climbing paint

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭con747

Anti climbing paint

:confused: Maybe just use cheap pots and paint them nice OP, might not be as desirable to rob when they realise they are plastic. Not sure what "Anti climbing paint" is going to do.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Xander10

I've no solution for OP, just to say, that people that would do such a thing are the lowest of the low .

A few years back, I discovered, someone has removed all the decorative stones from my parents grave. Not sure how you can go about stopping such acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

con747 wrote: »
    :confused: Maybe just use cheap pots and paint them nice OP, might not be as desirable to rob when they realise they are plastic. Not sure what "Anti climbing paint" is going to do.

It's used for a purpose. Try lifting a pot painted with it.
    You'll only do it once

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭con747

It's used for a purpose. Try lifting a pot painted with it.
    You'll only do it once

As far as I know you need to put a sign up stating the fact it's being used though. Not good for a grave. I see what you mean though.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Bring a bucket or 2 of concrete urself and stick the pots down then cover the gravel back around the base of them. Or maybe go to a DIY and ask for resin or epoxy glue.

Is there any local maintenance/ tidying up committee you could address the issue with, or local councillor?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Bring a bucket or 2 of concrete urself and stick the pots down then cover the gravel back around the base of them. Or maybe go to a DIY and ask for resin or epoxy glue.

Is there any local maintenance/ tidying up committee you could address the issue with, or local councillor?

I was about to suggest exactly the same.

There is a cheap but very fast setting cement called JETCEM, available in most plumbing suppliers.

They would only need a small bag of it.

Bring a bucket, two litres of water, a small trowel and the JETCEM.
    Mix a few big dollops of it and set the pots into into it. But they need to be quick about it when the mix is done as the cement goes hard within 10 - 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you are using the cement be sure not to block the drainage hole in the pot, or you will end up with a bog garden. Also be aware of the rules of the cemetery, if you stick them down somewhere where, say, a mower is supposed to be able to access they could be damaged or you might have to move them yourself. My own first thought was something like the anti climbing paint but I can see there might be issues there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks a million for all the replies, some great ideas. I've emailed the Area Manager of the local council and that was a total waste of time. As you have all said, it's the lowest of the low that would do such a thing. Love the idea of the Jetcem, I'd prefer to at the grave with a trowel instead of a drill :D.
    I could set the pots on a ring of Jetcem leaving the drainage holes exposed.
    Brilliant, thanks a million everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

why dont you put some concrete into the bottom of your planters pots to make them harder to remove

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Are they regular pots or grave marble pots? I got my surname engraved on the back of my babies pot after the first one went missing. I've an unusual name so it hasn't happened since.

Advertisement