Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When can we fly to Spain.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

What if Spain only allow vaccinated people in.

Kids won't be vaccinated.

They won’t be that stupid. Kids will be fine. They’d be only shooting themselves in the foot when international travel kicks off if they were to apply that logic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Caranica wrote: »
    Leo said today no travel until August

Belfast international and city airports in for a very busy summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It seems to me that it's a ploy to get people to "staycation" this summer to help the economy. My OH is in Spain and I haven't been over to her in almost a year. She's able to go out to the pub etc at pretty much everything is open there. I'll be fully vaccinated in the coming month so I don't see why the government should be trying to fine me for traveling.

If needs be then I'll go via London or Belfast but it's ridiculous when the rest of Europe is going to be open for travel this summer.

It seems to me that it's a ploy to get people to "staycation" this summer to help the economy. My OH is in Spain and I haven't been over to her in almost a year. She's able to go out to the pub etc at pretty much everything is open there. I'll be fully vaccinated in the coming month so I don't see why the government should be trying to fine me for traveling.

If needs be then I'll go via London or Belfast but it's ridiculous when the rest of Europe is going to be open for travel this summer.

jaysus thats crazy you havent seen your missus in a whole year and the relationship is still going well, fair play you dont often hear of that thesedays.

Just get yourself to Spain and dont even think about it, these lockdown fanatics will come up with anything to prevent us from living life, the rest of Europe will be compl;etely back to nornal and NPHET and co will be dreaming up scare stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

McSween wrote: »
    Does anyone think it would be unsafe to bring a 4 year old and 16 month old to Spain from late September onwards. I dont know if the government ever say whether it is or not. My wife quite reluctant at the moment

You will be fine - most of European adults will be fully vaccinated by then.

I'm taking my 5 and 3 year olds to Portugal in late August for 2 weeks, can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

You will be fine - most of European adults will be fully vaccinated by then.

I'm taking my 5 and 3 year olds to Portugal in late August for 2 weeks, can't wait!

Not worried about vaccines for the kids? My wife is fully vaccinated, I’m hopeful of getting mine soon, might just leave the kids at home!

Sono wrote: »
    Not worried about vaccines for the kids? My wife is fully vaccinated, I’m hopeful of getting mine soon, might just leave the kids at home!

What's to be worried about. Europe are not currently vaccinating children and they are very low risk of getting sick from COVID.

Worst case scenario i may need PCR tests for them, which isn't an issue.

What's to be worried about. Europe are not currently vaccinating children and they are very low risk of getting sick from COVID.

Worst case scenario i may need PCR tests for them, which isn't an issue.

That they may change their approach and say everyone needs be vaccinated entering their country, be it adults or children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

None of this makes sense to me.
    I think we have signed up to the Europe travel passport so i m thinking there will be a pan European arrangement.
    Is Leo saying that we sign-up and then ignore the agreement we are signing up to...

• Advertisement

That they may change their approach and say everyone needs be vaccinated entering their country, be it adults or children.

That's a silly thing to say - will never happen. Sure children's vaccines aren't even available FFS.

Won't happen in 2021 anyway and im going in August so do not care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭Skippette

The Digital Green certificate is due to go live on the 21st of June all going well and Ireland have 6 weeks to implement it. In order to get a Digital Green cert, you have to either be vaccinated, or a negative PCR(72hr) or negative Antigen (24hr)

The cert will be available in Digital format or a paper cert with a QR code. They have said the paper version can be obtained by legal guardians on behalf of children. Children obviously cannot receive the vaccine as yet and therefore not to discriminate against them, they will be eligible for the cert with a negative test.

Of course, nothing is set in stone until it is actually released but I did get the above info from:
    https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/TA-9-2021-0145_EN.html#title2

None of this makes sense to me.
    I think we have signed up to the Europe travel passport so i m thinking there will be a pan European arrangement.
    Is Leo saying that we sign-up and then ignore the agreement we are signing up to...

6 weeks after the 21st June brings us to August, that's within the EU agreement.
    I expect it'll move faster tbh but they aren't going to announce that incase they don't quite get there.

https://www.irishcentral.com/news/us-travel-ireland-vaccinated

"Speaking on Tuesday afternoon, Coveney said: “Let me try to be as clear as I can be on this because we haven’t made a government decision on this yet.

“There was to be a memo actually today in government on international travel but there is a bit more work required so it will be coming next week rather than this week.”

............. ""But I hope that you will see at some point in July, or at the latest in August, EU travel opening up again on the basis of the protection that vaccines give us, and we’d like to do the same with the United States."

Leo was mentioning July prior to him going with the "August at the earliest" spiel more recently, Coveney's comments above are from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

I'd say it will be safe to book if travelling mid August??

Was in pennys yesterday and hardly any flipflops,
    suncream or sunglasses!!

^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭robbie checker

A negative Antigen test will be a "game changer" for people with families and partners who do not want the vaccine as the cost will be much lower than a PCR test. How it will tie in with the Digital Green cert probably has to be ironed out yet. I presume it will have to be done by a lab and not one of these kits we can buy now in the supermarkets.

• Advertisement

I'd say it will be safe to book if travelling mid August??...........

Yes, you'd imagine so.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eus-coronavirus-travel-plan-faces-make-or-break-moment-covid-green-certificates/

Although that article suggests a possibly arduous path before we are freely plain hopping ........... "If talks this week with the European Parliament fail, member countries could forge ahead on their own"

There's precious little in the media about the topic really.

A negative Antigen test will be a "game changer" for people with families and partners who do not want the vaccine as the cost will be much lower than a PCR test. How it will tie in with the Digital Green cert probably has to be ironed out yet. I presume it will have to be done by a lab and not one of these kits we can buy now in the supermarkets.

I was in touch with a testing centre that currently provides PCR, Antigen and Antibody tests. They currently provide PCR test results via the Health Passport Europe App. They also provide Antigen tests to over 13yrs.

I had a few questions regarding providing Antigen tests to under 13yrs old and whether they will print out the necessary Digital Green Certificate as proof of test when it launches. So the company rang me and they are hoping that when details of the new digital green cert is launched and the framework for it is released they will be able to participate in the scheme.

So it looks like we will be able to get tested in our local pharmacy/test centre all going well!! And better yet, the price is lower and results, plus factoring in getting them printed will take no more than 1 hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Saying that to keep people mainly families in the country for the summer for these stupid "staycations" because come September very few families can travel with kids in school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

The lack of a "green cert" shouldnt be a hinderance to travel.
    Austria/ Italy / Germany have opened for travel this week and they are accepting any official evidence of a test/ recovery/ vaccination to enable travel and tourism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

I think Spain are accepting uk travellers without a test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

neris wrote: »
    Saying that to keep people mainly families in the country for the summer for these stupid "staycations" because come September very few families can travel with kids in school

Lots of people I know now cancelling their expensive staycations in Ireland in the hope they can get a cheaper holiday abroad soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Makhnovist

Austria/ Italy / Germany have opened for travel this week and they are accepting any official evidence of a test/ recovery/ vaccination to enable travel and tourism.

How do you obtain evidence of recovery do you know? Just a case of ringing your GP maybe

neris wrote: »
    I think Spain are accepting uk travellers without a test

All info here...

https://www.mscbs.gob.es/en/profesionales/saludPublica/ccayes/alertasActual/nCov/spth.htm

Is the card with vaccine batch number etc official evidence of vaccination?

Dublin is classed as ........ Travel from "high-incidence areas"

Travellers who have stayed in the last 10 days in a high incidence area are subject to a pre-departure negative PCR test taken no earlier than 72 hours before entry (for antigen rapid test: no earlier than 48 hours before entry) or, alternatively, to submission of proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination or recovery from COVID-19.
    Exemptions apply, in particular to persons who have passed through a high incidence area without a stopover, or those passing through Germany via the fastest route available.

You visited a(n) risk area
    As a result you're required to
    Airline passengers are subject to a general obligation to furnish proof of testing before departure.
    You must, at the latest, be able to present a negative coronavirus test result within 48 hours of entry.
    The swab specimen for this test may not have been taken more than 48 hours before entry. The competent authority may demand you submit this test result for up to 10 days after your entry into the country. Further information, also regarding exemptions from the testing obligation, is available here.
    As a rule, you are required under Federal Land law to self-quarantine after entry. As a rule, this currently comprises 10 days. Depending on the risk area and Federal Land, this quarantine can be reduced or extended through testing. Further information, also regarding the exemptions from the quarantine obligation, is available on the Federal Länder websites.

Perhaps they need to update their online stuff but there's no mention of vaccinated folk being catered for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Augeo wrote: »
    Perhaps they need to update their online stuff but there's no mention of vaccinated folk being catered for?
    there is, you have it in the text you copied

"alternatively, to submission of proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination or recovery from COVID-19."

there is, you have it in the text you copied

"alternatively, to submission of proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination or recovery from COVID-19."

Yes which is why I queried "Is the card with vaccine batch number etc official evidence of vaccination?"

Also, when you go to fill in details online you are faced with.......

You visited a(n) risk area
    As a result you're required to
    Airline passengers are subject to a general obligation to furnish proof of testing before departure.
    You must, at the latest, be able to present a negative coronavirus test result within 48 hours of entry.
    The swab specimen for this test may not have been taken more than 48 hours before entry. The competent authority may demand you submit this test result for up to 10 days after your entry into the country. Further information, also regarding exemptions from the testing obligation, is available here.
    As a rule, you are required under Federal Land law to self-quarantine after entry. As a rule, this currently comprises 10 days. Depending on the risk area and Federal Land, this quarantine can be reduced or extended through testing. Further information, also regarding the exemptions from the quarantine obligation, is available on the Federal Länder websites.

With no option to enter proof of vaccination etc etc

By "but there's no mention of vaccinated folk being catered for?" I meant when you actually go to fill in details online which is beyond the point where the vaccine is mentioned.

You can try it yourself here :)
    https://www.einreiseanmeldung.de/#/

The deal will allow for anybody living in the EU's 27 countries to secure a digital health pass by the end of June that displays their vaccination status, results of Covid-19 tests or whether they have recovered from a coronavirus infection https://t.co/C9fVlyl05x

Deal passed, wahoo!
    I've my flights booked, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

The regional airports ie Kerry and Knock are showing flights to Alicante in June and really cheap fares.

I can't see how those flights won't get cancelled, especially if the 2k fine gets extended on June 2nd.

What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭dodgystats

Aer Lingus just cancelled parents flight to Bilbao for End of June. Next flight isnt till end of July so wouldnt be confident about any flights with them :(.

The regional airports ie Kerry and Knock are showing flights to Alicante in June and really cheap fares.

I can't see how those flights won't get cancelled, especially if the 2k fine gets extended on June 2nd.

What do people think?

Knock due to open around mid June. Just booked myself from Knock to Alicante for August. Fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled.

News on the EU passing the Digital green certificate or now called EU Covid-19 Certificate has only just broken. Once everyone sees it all over the media the next few days combined with pissing rain for a few days I reckon the flights will fill up. I'm only guessing but that's why I booked tonight before prices rose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭naufragos123

Skippette wrote: »
    Knock due to open around mid June. Just booked myself from Knock to Alicante for August. Fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled.

News on the EU passing the Digital green certificate or now called EU Covid-19 Certificate has only just broken. Once everyone sees it all over the media the next few days combined with pissing rain for a few days I reckon the flights will fill up. I'm only guessing but that's why I booked tonight before prices rose

I think you did the right thing but August is a lot more certain than June. Would I be better off booking from Dublin in June do you think? I'm eager to get booked too.

Countries will have 6 weeks from end of June to implement iirc.

With the recent hacking I fear there might be resource issues for Ireland that will make this a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gr1998

Does anybody know what the situation is for self connecting flights to Spain through England?? If you were to do so and say for example booked a self connecting flight home from Spain via Uk to Ireland and the flight back to Ireland from England was only 5 hours after your arrival from Spain, would you just need to give a Locator Form and a Negative PCR to English authorities and be allowed to proceed to Ireland without much hassle?

Countries will have 6 weeks from end of June to implement iirc.

With the recent hacking I fear there might be resource issues for Ireland that will make this a challenge.

It be as simple as a boarding pass but it may be a good idea to outsource to some of the Airlines...

Below is new requirement for Spain.

Spain travel advice

Change made:
    Further information on Schengen border controls on arrival in Spain where passengers who meet entry requirements may be asked to demonstrate sufficient funds for their stay, present a return or onward ticket, and proof of accommodation (‘Entry requirements’ page)

Time updated:
    4:23pm, 20 May 2021

https://www.thejournal.ie/eu-covid-travel-certificate-5443377-May2021/

So a PCR test out of Ireland is costing approx €150 and the same test in Malaga will cost €50 approx so you’re looking at the guts of an extra €200 per adult to travel to Spain this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Big Daddy Kane

So a PCR test out of Ireland is costing approx €150 and the same test in Malaga will cost €50 approx so you’re looking at the guts of an extra €200 per adult to travel to Spain this summer.

Even if both adults received their Vacanacitions here ?

A PCR test is €89 with Randox in Ireland, and Spain will most likely accept an antigen test, which is €49.

It be as simple as a boarding pass but it may be a good idea to outsource to some of the Airlines..............

The HSE will need to have all the vaccination data available to be uploaded to some system that spits out a scannable code that's in an app or on paper..... it's as simple as a boarding pass conceptually but the data is for millions of people.

The HSE will need to have all the vaccination data available to be uploaded to some system that spits out a scannable code that's in an app or on paper..... it's as simple as a boarding pass conceptually but the data is for millions of people.

I forgot the HSE have the data.
    I expect the ransom will be paid so that should fix it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭kenkin

Since when will Spain accept an antigen test

kenkin wrote: »
    Since when will Spain accept an antigen test

Fly from Belfast, you wont beed to take a test at all, coming back to Belfast juat say you are going to Dublin or wherever it is here you sre from and you wont ned to isolate.

you'll be left waiting for these charlatans here to open up air travel.

https://news.sky.com/story/spain-to-allow-visitors-from-uk-for-holidays-from-monday-12312533

Fly from Belfast, you wont beed to take a test at all, coming back to Belfast juat say you are going to Dublin or wherever it is here you sre from and you wont ned to isolate.

you'll be left waiting for these charlatans here to open up air travel.

https://news.sky.com/story/spain-to-allow-visitors-from-uk-for-holidays-from-monday-12312533

According to this info i got this morn the above is not correct...

Testing requirements

All passengers (excluding children under the age of 6 years old) travelling to Spanish airports and ports from ‘risk’ countries (as determined by the European Centre for Disease Prevention & Control) are required to present a negative PCR, TMA (Transcription-Mediated Amplification) or a LAMP (Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification) swab test taken within no more than 72 hours prior to arrival. Passengers arriving from the UK are currently subject to this requirement.

According to this info i got this morn the above is not correct...

Testing requirements

All passengers (excluding children under the age of 6 years old) travelling to Spanish airports and ports from ‘risk’ countries (as determined by the European Centre for Disease Prevention & Control) are required to present a negative PCR, TMA (Transcription-Mediated Amplification) or a LAMP (Loop-Mediated Isothermal Amplification) swab test taken within no more than 72 hours prior to arrival. Passengers arriving from the UK are currently subject to this requirement.

well sky news must be wrong then,or they havent updated that website link you posted.

well sky news must be wrong then,or they havent updated that website link you posted.

On checking again you are correct...
    Just check on the link "risk countries"in my post and all info there on a PDF down the page...

I only discovered after i posted that UK are in the exempt countries as this just changed this morn and i never checked third countries before i posted...
    However i am thinking this is just for UK passport holders but oi am open to correction.
    I seen a guy with a UK passport being quizzed at Malaga Airport arriving from Dublin before we were on the RED list..
    I did not wait for result but he was being quizzed.

It will likely become clear in the coming days...

On checking again you are correct...
    Just check on the link "risk countries"in my post and all info there on a PDF down the page...

I only discovered after i posted that UK are in the exempt countries as this just changed this morn and i never checked third countries before i posted...
    However i am thinking this is just for UK passport holders but oi am open to correction.
    I seen a guy with a UK passport being quizzed at Malaga Airport arriving from Dublin before we were on the RED list..
    I did not wait for result but he was being quizzed.

It will likely become clear in the coming days...

Spain here we come :D

• Advertisement

Spain here we come :D

I think only for persons with UK passports??

I think only for persons with UK passports??

i doubt it mate, unless i missed something? Spain are mad to get tourists back after the huge losses they have made.

i know someone who went to Malaga not so long ago, just a PCR test required at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Does anyone know if Spain will be dropping the PCR requirement later in summer if a person is vaccinated? Even if the digital pass is introduced by August, it doesn't mean it's hassle-free entry, as far as I can see.

i doubt it mate, unless i missed something? Spain are mad to get tourists back after the huge losses they have made.

i know someone who went to Malaga not so long ago, just a PCR test required at the time.

As i said earlier i seen a guy with UK passport being quizzed on a flight from Dublin December (i think) before we became high risk which was in Jan.
    He pushed his way past me as i was bringing the info up.
    When they scanned they pulled him aside as it turned red and went x.
    When mine was scanned it said correct ans went green.
    That's all i know but we will find out here soon i expect.
    Belfast would work for me...

Rasmus wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Spain will be dropping the PCR requirement later in summer if a person is vaccinated? Even if the digital pass is introduced by August, it doesn't mean it's hassle-free entry, as far as I can see.

https://www.thejournal.ie/eu-covid-travel-certificate-5443377-May2021/

• Advertisement
Advertisement