Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sand Martins in Howth Harbour?

• 20-04-2021 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭

I saw a bunch of what I am nearly certain were Sand Martins flying in and out between the blocks/bricks of pier in Howth (facing the harbour). They weren't swallows and I don't think they were house martins.

I always thought that sand Martins needed a big sandy bank to nest in, like you see around malahide for example. Would they be nesting in a wall like the pier in Howth? I saw one stop and gather some twigs/dried grass and fly off with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I had them nesting in a stonewall in Enniscorthy town a couple of years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Yorkshire.man

With flooding and rising sea levels they are clearly adapting. On the beach near us they nest in a rocky cliff face and seem very happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Accidentally

I've seen them nesting along canals and rivers, where holes were purposely created in concrete bridges and walls during refurbishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭tomfoolery60

Thanks for the feedback, good to eye might be accurate after all!

Advertisement