Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water dripping from one tank into main tank in attic

• 21-04-2021 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice was up in the attic this evening when I noticed water dripping from the smaller of the two water tanks in the attic - what could be causing this ??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Possibly a faulty ball valve. I’d get that expansion it’s own support base in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Possibly a faulty ball valve. I’d get that expansion it’s own support base in my opinion.

Been like that for years is it not correct practice?? Excuse my ignorance on this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

I wouldn’t see it as good practice anyway but the standard of plumbing accepted on boards particularly in diy section seems to be very substandard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dathi

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Been like that for years is it not correct practice?? Excuse my ignorance on this

should look like this the small tank is central heating header tank which keeps the water toped in rads and it should not overflow into your main tank which is used for water for your bathrooms sinks and toilets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The water level is way too high for an expansion tank. With heating system cold the level should be a few inches from the bottom of the tank.

Ball cock needs to be checked. Looking at the rust colour in the tank I wonder if the coil leaking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

looking at the arm in the ballcock def have a look here first

Ok got it sorted as my learned boards.ie members mentioned the main culprit is the ball-cock , got both of them changed all seems good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

In my opinion that plumbing set up is an absolute 'no-no'. The top (smaller) tank is for your central heating. If the central heating overheats then the overflow pitches into the smaller tank which can then overflow into the bigger tank underneath. So you can have rusty water complete with heating inhibitor (antifreeze and corrosion inhibitors) making its way into the water you brush your teeth with (the bigger tank normally supplies all sinks in the house except the kitchen sink). So the overflow line from the top tank needs to be routed somewhere else. The big tank also needs to be cleaned out and a cover put on it (again, think of how clean you want the water when you are brushing your teeth!)

youtheman wrote: »
    In my opinion that plumbing set up is an absolute 'no-no'. The top (smaller) tank is for your central heating. If the central heating overheats then the overflow pitches into the smaller tank which can then overflow into the bigger tank underneath. So you can have rusty water complete with heating inhibitor (antifreeze and corrosion inhibitors) making its way into the water you brush your teeth with (the bigger tank normally supplies all sinks in the house except the kitchen sink). So the overflow line from the top tank needs to be routed somewhere else. The big tank also needs to be cleaned out and a cover put on it (again, think of how clean you want the water when you are brushing your teeth!)

Fair points made there, I am totally ignorant to how house plumbing should be performed

Would the overflow from the central heating system (top tank) be best routed to the eves of the house and flowing out into the back yard?

Then the cold water tank [Bigger of the two tanks] could be covered to protect from debris etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Fair points made there, I am totally ignorant to how house plumbing should be performed

Would the overflow from the central heating system (top tank) be best routed to the eves of the house and flowing out into the back yard?

Then the cold water tank [Bigger of the two tanks] could be covered to protect from debris etc etc

Yes - all of the above.
    While the arrangement you photographed is not uncommon - it is not satisfactory and should be remedied.

• Advertisement
Advertisement